The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy PPV Event (Friday Fun)

+23
AlexHuckerby
ShahenshahG
DaveVDK
compelling and rich
The Terror of Tylorstown
paperbag_puncher
Lumbering_Jack
Diamond in the rough
bellchees
hazharrison
Rodney
John Bloody Wayne
mobilemaster8
Rowley
seanmichaels
TRUSSMAN66
Seanusarrilius
ONETWOFOREVER
fearlessBamber
88Chris05
Union Cane
TopHat24/7
JabMachineMK2
27 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fantasy PPV Event (Friday Fun) - Page 2 Empty Fantasy PPV Event (Friday Fun)

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 02 Aug 2013, 12:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

You can use any boxers from any era. The card is basically 5 main events at any weight. The scenario is a once in a lifetime PPV created in your own head. What boxers would you love to see face off against each other?

Mine would be

Pacquiao vs Mayweather (2009 versions)

Lennox Lewis vs Muhammad Ali

Carl Froch vs Joe Calzaghe

Mike Tyson vs Joe Louis

Sergio Martinez vs Roy Jones Jr at Middleweight.

Yours?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Fantasy PPV Event (Friday Fun) - Page 2 Empty Re: Fantasy PPV Event (Friday Fun)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm

Obviously haven't got the extensive knowledge others have domestically over here......

Hatton vs Laing

Sibson vs Benn

Froch vs Calzaghe

Bruno vs Fury

Nelson vs Reeson.............ha ha...Cool 

i'll go for Rowley's.........

Naz ko 7 Mcguigan

Never heard of Jock...........

Bruno ko 3 Haye

Eubank w12 Froch

Conteh w12 Calzaghe

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Fantasy PPV Event (Friday Fun) - Page 2 Empty Re: Fantasy PPV Event (Friday Fun)

Post by bellchees Fri 02 Aug 2013, 5:22 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mayweather beats chavez all night long for me.........better fighter than meldrick....

I think he would win as well, not a massive fan of Chavez and think his sheer volume of fights gets him rated a touch higher than it should do but a great pressure fighter is something missing on Mayweathers record so it would be his defining fight and if the close fights with Castillo are anything to go by it won't be straight forward.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 02 Aug 2013, 5:23 pm

To be honest Truss I don't know too much about Jock, an age ago I was discussing doing a war of the roses thread with Windy for Yorkshire vs Lancashire and Windy said I would be hard pushed to make a case for Henry Wharton being Mcavoy and I said my middle from the white rose county would be Graham. Windy said it looked a belter of a match up. Did a bit of digging and yet again it looked like the old boy was right.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Aug 2013, 5:26 pm

bellchees wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mayweather beats chavez all night long for me.........better fighter than meldrick....

I think he would win as well, not a massive fan of Chavez and think his sheer volume of fights gets him rated a touch higher than it should do but a great pressure fighter is something missing on Mayweathers record so it would be his defining fight and if the close fights with Castillo are anything to go by it won't be straight forward.

Chavez is one of my favorite fighters belly.........A fight with Duran as on my bill I'd love......

But the fact remains Randall and Taylor both beat him in my opinion.......and Floyd was smarter and as Skilled as those two....

Wouldn't stop him though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Fri 02 Aug 2013, 8:00 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Golovkin hasn't earned the right to say he'd KO Hearns yet. Hasn't fought anyone like him and Hearns name is etched in ATG lists. Golovkin while being a very good prospect - isn't quite at the level where we can throw him in with him yet and say he'd win, although I do see the logic MM.

If we're looking at explosive fights guaranteed a KO then what about Tyson vs Foreman?

100% agree

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Aug 2013, 8:12 pm

Froch didn't exactly look sparkling against Ward...........Clueless in fact...You're making him out to be Marvin Hagler..........

Groves is a polished performer........Like I said an old Calzaghe beat Kessler comfortably...

I

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 02 Aug 2013, 8:42 pm

Wrong thread Truss...

However, the Calzaghe performance against Kessler is arguably his best.

And whilst Froch may not be Hagler, Groves is not hard to find with a suspect chin. I like Groves, but really don't understand what he shows Froch that he can't deal with.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 02 Aug 2013, 8:55 pm

Gonna go for a night of the big men.

Holyfield vs Tunney
Bowe Vs Tyson
Lennox vs Foreman
Ali vs Vitali or Wlad (or both..)
Langford vs Marciano

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 02 Aug 2013, 11:13 pm

Golovkin wouldn't have a hope in hell of beating Hearns unless he landed a lucky punch which is very unlikely, he would be doing well to see the 4th round. Nor would Pacquiao ever knock Duran out.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 03 Aug 2013, 8:20 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Haz..................Agree ??

Hearns ko 2 Trinidad
Pryor ko 14
Hagler ko 11
Sanchez by decision
Gatti k09

Good calls on each. I'd give Trinidad a few more rounds (fancy they'd trade knock downs).
Sanchez may even stop Barrera (tough one for me as I was a massive Barrera fan).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 03 Aug 2013, 9:29 am

Good thread so far, In terms of domestic Rowley, id go with the following:

Naz vs McGuigan
Calzaghe vs Collins (good styles to make a cracker)
Ricky Hatton vs Lloyd Honeyghan
Lennox Lewis vs Henry Cooper

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sat 03 Aug 2013, 10:02 am

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Golovkin wouldn't have a hope in hell of beating Hearns unless he landed a lucky punch which is very unlikely, he would be doing well to see the 4th round. Nor would Pacquiao ever knock Duran out.

Golovkin is so overrated he beats Matthew macklin who's a fringe champion the best he knocks out hearns! He's beat nobody and should be ranked accordingly

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 03 Aug 2013, 10:29 am

I never said Golovkin knocks him out, but no matter what, he is the highest knockout puncher in middleweight history which ever way you look at it.

I said he wins on points in a cagey affair, because for me, I think he is a technically better boxer than Hearns.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sat 03 Aug 2013, 11:07 am

Level of opposition plays a fairly big part in that especially when you have never fought for the legitimate middleweight title, for example Hagler has 12 knockouts in 15 world title fights, Monzon has 10 knockouts in 15 world title fights also. You have to take into account the opposition before a stat like that has any relevance.

I see no reason why Hearns would fight cagily, he didn't against Leonard, Hagler, Duran, Andries, Barkley or any top level fighter he faced so he'll do his usual of pumping out the left jab followed by devastating right hands where his far superior speed and timing will make it as a mismatch because he simply is better than Golovkin. If you decide to stand and trade with the iron chinned heavy handed Hagler then GGG isn't going to overly worry you.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 03 Aug 2013, 11:12 am

bit late into this but my 5 would be

mayweather v leonard
hagler v monzon
foreman v tyson
ali v louis
duran v armstrong (lightweight)

good mixed of boxing master classes, out and out wars and good mix of styles on offer

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sat 03 Aug 2013, 11:39 am

I really don't see Hearns losing a decision to GGG, KO is possible but unlikely but decision no way. Hearns didn't lose a decision until he was 34 years old and fighting at Light Heavyweight, people just don't outbox Tommy Hearns.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Sat 03 Aug 2013, 2:34 pm

Mayweather v Pac
Rjj v Darius Michalczewski
Gatti v Corrales (from an action point of veiw)
Bowe v Lennox
Pryor v Chavez

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 03 Aug 2013, 3:50 pm

Naz Morales

Duran Camacho

Foreman Liston

Ibeabuchi Lewis

SRL SRR

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 03 Aug 2013, 4:27 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Golovkin wouldn't have a hope in hell of beating Hearns unless he landed a lucky punch which is very unlikely, he would be doing well to see the 4th round. Nor would Pacquiao ever knock Duran out.

In a couple of years if Golovkin really establishes himself, which he looks like he may, as a genuinely top MW I think we could see the opinion of that one change to be honest, Hearns was very vulnerable to a big puncher, one that exerted pressure also coudl see Golovkin getting to him personally. Golovkin appears to be a bigger puncher than Hagler, though perhaps easier to hit, and seems to have a sturdy chin on him, literally walked through shots from a decent puncher in Macklin.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 03 Aug 2013, 4:58 pm

Golovkin a bigger puncher than Hagler? What exactly is that based on?

The hype train has well and truly left the station.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 03 Aug 2013, 5:02 pm

Pavlik was knocking people out left right and centre at one point, think the hype of ggg is getting abit much when people are lining him up against hearns

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 03 Aug 2013, 5:08 pm

Golovkin would have needed one helluva chin to take Hearns right hand, Golovkin easy to hit and Hearns would have hit him hard and fast no doubt about that.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 03 Aug 2013, 5:37 pm

Hagler wasn't a massive one shot KO merchant, so it's not a massive statement to say GGG has the heavier hands. I think Pavlik at his best did have more one shot power than Hagler, just nothing else to rival him but size.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 03 Aug 2013, 8:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It's been a good day guys....I don't want all this again ???

Don't be so sensitive princess.

When you become half-relevant on here and get moronic stalkers..

See how you like it...Cool Cool 

Don't flatter yourself crankie-yankie.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 03 Aug 2013, 9:12 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Hagler wasn't a massive one shot KO merchant, so it's not a massive statement to say GGG has the heavier hands. I think Pavlik at his best did have more one shot power than Hagler, just nothing else to rival him but size.

Pretty much agree with that, Hagler was more of an accumulative effect KO artist, he was however, damned good at it but Golovkin appears to have serious one punch KO power, its not easy to get rid of Macklin or Ishida in one hit.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 04 Aug 2013, 11:31 am

Opinions could change if Golovkin finally faces one of the top middleweights but as of yet he hasn't and it's far too premature to suggest he could live with Hearns.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 04 Aug 2013, 1:34 pm

Jamie Moore knocked out Macklin.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 04 Aug 2013, 1:41 pm

Yeah, Moore effortlessly blew him away in 3 and was shaking him with jabs, wasn't he...

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 04 Aug 2013, 2:37 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Jamie Moore knocked out Macklin.

Come on...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 04 Aug 2013, 3:35 pm

Have to admit, Golovkin-Hearns wouldn't be one which would jump out at me if I could make any Middleweight fight in history. But having said that, I don't know where this idea that all Tommy has to do to win is turn up is coming from, either.

Almost all of the significant fights Hearns boxed in at 160 or 168 involved him either being knocked out (Hagler, Barkley I), or being badly hurt on multiple occasions and having to hang on for dear life, even if he did win (Roldan, Kinchen, Leonard II). He was very, very close to unbeatable as a Welter or Light-Middle, no doubt about that, but had a pretty patchy record above those weights and showed time and again that it only took a few seconds to win a fight against him, or at least put yourself in a position to do so.

I'd disagree with mobilemaster in one respect, as I don't think Golovkin could beat Hearns by going the long way around; Hearns was an incredibly tough man to outbox, regardless of which division he was in. But Tommy's vulnerability to heavy-handed fighters at the higher weights and the fact that he couldn't always keep the bigger fellas at distance the way he did at 147 or 154 means that Golovkin has to be a fairly live underdog, for me.

Hearns probably starts as favourite as things stand right now, but if he gets sloppy (which could happen at any moment with Tommy) then Golovkin could certainly upset the script.

Anyway, keeping in line with Union's all-British take on this idea.....

Joe Calzaghe versus John Conteh
Carl Froch versus Chris Eubank
Freddie Welsh versus Ken Buchanan
Randy Turpin versus Herol Graham
Jack 'Kid' Berg versus Ricky Hatton
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 04 Aug 2013, 3:41 pm

On the otherhand the Hearns that beat Shuler......Would probably have devastated any middleweright champion in history maybe including Hagler......

Lasted 60 seconds and Shuler WAS GOOD!!!!.......The mix from body to head was awesome.....

The Hearns that fought Shuler unless he gets caught hammers Goltkin..Everybody had a punchers chance..

For me Hearns was the best boxer in history.........Unfortunately lacking as a fighter........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 04 Aug 2013, 4:49 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Yeah, Moore effortlessly blew him away in 3 and was shaking him with jabs, wasn't he...

Who said he was?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 04 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm

British undercard fights

Mason v Williams
Graham v Watson
Colin Jones v Shea Neary
Andries V Carl Thompson
Spencer Oliver v Carl Frampton/ Scott Quigg
Chris Finnegan v Clinton Woods
Chris Pyatt v Ryan Rhodes
Ricky Burns v Jim Watt
Darren Barker v Mark Kaylor

Feel free with the predictions

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 04 Aug 2013, 6:41 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:Yeah, Moore effortlessly blew him away in 3 and was shaking him with jabs, wasn't he...

Who said he was?

The Macklin blow out was being used as an example of powerful Golovkin is, so you brought up the fact Moore stopped him to make it seem less impressive, leaving out the details of how each of them went so I pointed out the details.

Either that or you were just making a random, irrelevant statement.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 04 Aug 2013, 6:59 pm

People are masturbating over GGG at the moment. All I was pointing out was that despite his impressive performance, Macklin is clearly not made of stone. Jamie Moore rendered him unconscious, face down on the floor.

People are already ear marking him to be an all time great, massively premature given his record. Macklin and Proska are hardly impressive.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:29 pm

Nobody's done over Macklin as easily as Golovkin, no matter which way you look at it.

GGG's quality is up in the air right now. He looks good to me but we don't know yet. I would put money on him having the necessary power to have a puncher's chance against Hearns though, which is why his power was initially brought up.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 04 Aug 2013, 9:06 pm

That wasn't your point though was it. You were using Macklin as an example of Golovkins, which it is to some extent. But Moore rendered him unconscious too. Moore is not a big puncher.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 04 Aug 2013, 11:48 pm

Yeah in round 10 of an absolute war by which time hed previously hit Mac dozens and dozens of times and Mac was utterly exhausted from setting an insane pace.

Golovkin hits hard enough to knock out Hearns is my point if I am making one. I don't think he'd find the opening but his power is enough.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 05 Aug 2013, 7:53 am

Again, I'm not disputing any of this. My objection is people labelling Golovkin some sort of Shaver

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:14 am

FMJ vs PAC
Ward vs Calzaghe
Hagler vs Monzon
Wlad vs Vit

Dempsey vs Frazier would be a cracker

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:17 am

liston v tyson
Ray Leonard v Ray Robinson
Hamed v Pac
Holy v Haye (CW)
Ali v Lewis

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:08 am

ike ibeabuchi V Vitali.....both granite chins and not giving an inch. This could be a corker and undecided on the outcome

ike ibeabuchi V Wladimir....Wlad would need all his boxing skills for this one.......

Herbie Hide v Mike Tyson....Warren actually tried to get this going apparently in the early noughties . Sheer unadulterated fun...while it lasted

Frank Bruno v David Haye......great domestic fight, very tough and Haye would have to negotiate Franks jab which put him ahead against Lewis, Witherspoon and Bonecrusher before he was stopped!

Naz V Barrera ( Super Bantamweight around 1995-6 )....before he stopped training properly.

Hatton v Gatti ( Light welter ).....he he!!

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:19 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Again, I'm not disputing any of this. My objection is people labelling Golovkin some sort of Shaver

Nobody is raving at Stephenson and he's just stretched Dawson in one...........Macklin ain't no Dawson...........

GGG looks good but hey..........It's early days..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm

Quite right Trussy. Stevenson splattered Dawson with the first thing he landed. Macklin took 3 rounds of abuse.

He may well go on to being a world beater but its early days. Remember the hype Broner was getting before his fight with Paulie.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:31 pm

Jackson was a far more concussive puncher than Golovkin is, far more proven and I wouldn't for a moment consider him beating Hearns at his best.

Leonard beat him because he was one the greatest boxers of all time, Hagler arguably won because he was near on impossible to hurt and possessed great power in both hands and well Barkley landed the lottery punch which Golovkin would have to replicate.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Quite right Trussy. Stevenson splattered Dawson with the first thing he landed. Macklin took 3 rounds of abuse.

He may well go on to being a world beater but its early days. Remember the hype Broner was getting before his fight with Paulie.

Don't start all that again............!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:08 pm

I'm just gonna reiterate I don't think Golovkin beats Hearns, I think he has the power to knock him out. Same goes for Jackson, Stevenson, Benn, Trinidad, Pacquiao, Mccallum, Mathysse, Cuevas, Langford, Fitzsimmons etc.

Each of them in my opinion possesses enough power to KO Hearns, it's not that huge a claim.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:34 pm

Pacquiao, Cuevas and Matthyse definitely not, with the exception of Leonard it was at middleweight and above that his true vulnerability became evident, not in a month of sundays do they have near enough power to knock him out.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:32 pm

Disagree, obviously. All speculation like.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:44 pm

I can't quite understand why Pacquiao and Matthyse in particular would have the power to hurt him when Leonard had to wait til he was tiring to pounce.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next