The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Fights That Did Not Deliver

+18
mobilemaster8
bhb001
Atila
bellchees
TRUSSMAN66
horizontalhero
JabMachineMK2
Mr Bounce
seanmichaels
RanjitPatel
The Terror of Tylorstown
captain carrantuohil
88Chris05
hazharrison
STC
Rodney
Pedro147
Rowley
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Super Fights That Did Not Deliver Empty Super Fights That Did Not Deliver

Post by Rowley Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:35 pm

Am sure this topic has been done before so apologies if that is the case but a conversation between the Captain and milky about Leonard vs Hagler got me to thinking about super fights that have failed to deliver or have disappointed.

For me the one that I was most disappointed with was De La Hoya vs Trinidad. In the run up to this I was hugely excited. Both were unbeaten and belt holders so the fight was a genuine unification and on paper it looked like it had the potential to really deliver. DLH had, on the whole looked the part in the run up to the fight, picking up belts almost at will at the lower weights and the Whitaker fight aside tending not to have too much trouble in doing so. Trinidad also looked an absolute beast at welter knocking people sideways when he connected, but with the air of susceptibility in the chin department that could see him visit the canvas on occasions.

Everything pointed to an absolute barn burner, but alas the truth turned out to be far more mundane with Trinidad showing early signs of the vulnerability to slick boxers that was to become more pronounced later in his career and Oscar happy to stay outside racking up points until his inexplicable decision to take the last few rounds off which was ultimately to cost him.

Whilst the fight is by no means an absolute stinker it was certainly not a great and given the potential I cannot help but feel a little short changed with this one. Just wondered which of the mega fights left you feeling similarly non plussed?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Super Fights That Did Not Deliver Empty Re: Super Fights That Did Not Deliver

Post by Pedro147 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:41 pm

Haye vs Wlad. Probably the biggest HW fight since Lewis vs Vitali and ended up being an absolute stinker. Ruined boxing on Sky Sports as a result of that and the farce which was his fight versus Audley.

A slightly different take on fights not living up to billing are Floyd's fights. Not because of his style but simply because he is so much better than everyone that they're not even competitive. I watched his fight again Hatton again a while back and it was completely different to what I remember first time round. Hatton barely landed a glove on him all night and Hatton fell into every trap Floyd set.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:44 pm

DLH/Hopkins - Hoppo, despite racking up 20 MW defences and gaining some plaudits for it, still couldn't really sell out his living room. The "semi finals" where Hoppo beat Robbie Allen (again) and Oscar robbed Felix Sturm left a nasty taste in the mouth and the impression that this was all about ego and money as opposed to being an effort to get into the history books. The fight itself made a chess match look like WWE Royal Rumble and the ending was such a damb squib it was one of the few times I've felt utterly ripped off.

Holyfield/Lewis II was about as turgid an affair as we're likely to see. Due to the controversy surrounding the first fight, I think many people were expecting something untoward and yet precisely nothing of note happened. Yes, history was made with Lewis becoming undisputed HW Champion but the fight was marginally only more interesting that Junior Witter's fight with Vivian Harris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:45 pm

Thought about Haye Wlad Pedro but on reflection not sure I would class it as a huge disappointment because suspect we have all seen enough of Wlad to know when we are watching him we are unlikely to see Gatti reincarnated. He just did in that fight what he tends to do and yet again an opponent was not good enough to force him out of his groove. However as I suspect I am in the process of derailing my own thread I should perhaps not say any more about that one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:47 pm

At dare to ask Jeff how many super fights actually deliver barn stormers ?

Although not a super fight in terms of universal but over here Eubank v Benn 2 was a pretty much of an anti climax. Mayweather v De La Hoya was a snooze fest. Roy Jones Jnr v James Toney was a massive let down, a match up that presented all the right elements ended up being a one sided hammering, Toney was a real let down.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:54 pm

Bradley v Alexander was a massive let down.

Was it a "Super" fight?

Not really, but I can't think of any recent fights that were.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:56 pm

Calzaghe v Hopkins?
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:58 pm

Depends how we qualify a super fight. Two great fighters fighting at their optimum weight in their primes would throw up the following (since 1979):

1. Ray Leonard-Wilfred Benitez (1979)
2. Salvador Sanchez-Wilfredo Gomez (1981)
3. Ray Leonard-Thomas Hearns (1981)
4. Marvin Hagler-Thomas Hearns (1985)
5. Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor (1990)
6. Riddick Bowe-Evander Holyfield (1992)
7. Michael Carbajal-Chiquita Gonzalez (1993)
8. Roy Jones-James Toney (1994)
9. Felix Trinidad-Oscar De la Hoya (1999)
10. Erik Morales-Marco Antonio Barrera (2000)
11. Shane Mosley-Oscar De la Hoya (2000)
12. Marco Antonio Barrera-Erik Morales II (2002)
13. Manny Pacquiao-Marco Antonio Barrera (2003)
14. Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez (2004)

Have we had any since 2004?

Jones-Toney was a stinker.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:00 pm

hazharrison wrote:Depends how we qualify a super fight. Have we had any since 2004?

Chisora-Haye, according to Buncey.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:03 pm

You could add Chavez-Whitaker to that list, Haz. A genuine pound for pound decider between the two men who'd been battling it out for that title for the previous few years, with a crowd of 65,000 in attendance and featuring Don King's biggest asset in the years of Tyson's imprisonment.

Although Whitaker was never known for being in great fights, I suspect it still left a lot of people disappointed, even then. Even those backing him to win must have been a bit surprised at how comfortably he shut Chavez's attacking engine down and waltzed through the second half of the fight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:06 pm

Middle weight Hearns optimum weight Haz?

Can't agree with that at all, his form above light middle is very patchy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:07 pm

Could argue that Donaire has had one in almost every division that he has inhabited. If we allow the Darchinyan fight in retrospect, the Montiel fight looked pretty tasty at the time and delivered. The Rigondeaux fight, of course, didn't, but would think it was the nearest to a super fight that we've seen in recent years. Not at the levels of some from yesteryear, I concede, but beggars can't be choosers.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:07 pm

The Brawl in Montreal would have to be included as well, the great lightweight champion stepping up to face the American hero.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:09 pm

I'd have to say Pacquaio v Hatton. I was gutted to see him sparked out. Remember thinking on the ring walk that he didn't look right but with hindsight he probably couldn't have done much better at any other stage of his career.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:10 pm

I wouldn't consider Bowe against Holyfield a super fight, there was the slight issue of Tysons incarceration at the time which would have taken centre stage.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:11 pm

The follow ups to Castillo Corrales 1 where weight was an issue. I think the 3rd was actually cancelled.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:13 pm

Think we have to make Spinks-Qawi for the undisputed light-heavyweight title a super fight too, even though they weren't possibly as bankable as most of the other names on haz's list. Very interesting fight, too, although not a classic.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:17 pm

88Chris05 wrote:You could add Chavez-Whitaker to that list, Haz. A genuine pound for pound decider between the two men who'd been battling it out for that title for the previous few years, with a crowd of 65,000 in attendance and featuring Don King's biggest asset in the years of Tyson's imprisonment.

Although Whitaker was never known for being in great fights, I suspect it still left a lot of people disappointed, even then. Even those backing him to win must have been a bit surprised at how comfortably he shut Chavez's attacking engine down and waltzed through the second half of the fight.

Was Chavez ever a real welterweight?

Last edited by hazharrison on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:17 pm

What about Lewis-Holyfield 1? Billed as being one of the biggest Heavyweight battles ever, then Lewis dominates but is safety first without going in for the kill then we get that stupid decision.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:18 pm

Rowley wrote:Middle weight Hearns optimum weight Haz?

Can't agree with that at all, his form above light middle is very patchy.

Up for argument that Jeff. Was undoubtedly better at 147 and 154.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:21 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Could argue that Donaire has had one in almost every division that he has inhabited. If we allow the Darchinyan fight in retrospect, the Montiel fight looked pretty tasty at the time and delivered. The Rigondeaux fight, of course, didn't, but would think it was the nearest to a super fight that we've seen in recent years. Not at the levels of some from yesteryear, I concede, but beggars can't be choosers.

Good call on Donaire-Rigo. The Montiel fight was a showdown between the division's best but not sure Montiel could be classed as a great fighter.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:22 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:The Brawl in Montreal would have to be included as well, the great lightweight champion stepping up to face the American hero.

I guess Jeff's comment applies to Duran also (better as a lightweight).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:23 pm

Depends on the definition of "super fight" because although Lewis vs Tyson was a superfight of sorts - it didn't have the same glitz and glamour of say, Pacquiao vs Mayweather.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:24 pm

Think Rosario-Chavez at lightweight comes close to superfight status. People forget that Rosario had just scrambled the consensus number one at 135 in Bramble and that he was actually regarded as a very live chance to beat JCC in their clash. The usual bad blood between Mexico and Puerto Rico added to the mix, making it a fight that everyone wanted to see. The fight itself was too one-sided to be classed as a great one, but I still reckon that it was Chavez's defining performance and one of the truly great individual efforts of all time.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:25 pm

hazharrison wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:You could add Chavez-Whitaker to that list, Haz. A genuine pound for pound decider between the two men who'd been battling it out for that title for the previous few years, with a crowd of 65,000 in attendance and featuring Don King's biggest asset in the years of Tyson's imprisonment.

Was Chavez ever a real a welterweight?

That's the only caveat, Haz, but I think it gets overstated, personally. Whitaker himself had been boxing as a Lightweight less than two years previously and had only made a very short pit-stop at 140 on his way up to Welterweight.

The impression I get is that not too many people at all were concerned about the weight in the build up to the fight, as both of them were smaller guys who'd climbed through the divisions and were small at 147 in any case. I think a fight between Chavez and Whitaker would have played out pretty much the same in any weight class, really, but that's just me and regardless of that, Chavez was still a huge box office attraction and the fight was still massively anticipated.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:25 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Depends on the definition of "super fight" because although Lewis vs Tyson was a superfight of sorts.

Also nobody outside of the epically stupid/misguided thought Tyson had a cat in hells chance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:28 pm

Tyson-Spinks, massive, prolonged build up, the prospect of Tyson getting tested, 91 second of controlled agression and that was all-even the knockdowns were unspectacular.
Tyson-Smith was also a real let down-expected fireworks and got 12 rounds of hugging.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:34 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Was Chavez ever a real a welterweight?

That's the only caveat, Haz, but I think it gets overstated, personally. Whitaker himself had been boxing as a Lightweight less than two years previously and had only made a very short pit-stop at 140 on his way up to Welterweight.

The impression I get is that not too many people at all were concerned about the weight in the build up to the fight, as both of them were smaller guys who'd climbed through the divisions and were small at 147 in any case. I think a fight between Chavez and Whitaker would have played out pretty much the same in any weight class, really, but that's just me and regardless of that, Chavez was still a huge box office attraction and the fight was still massively anticipated.

Yeah it was huge. I would have liked to have seen it at light welter maybe.

If you're really strict with the criteria I mentioned earlier then it's pretty difficult not to wind up with a great fight. Only Oscar-Trinidad and Jones-Toney were let downs -- I wonder how much of that stemmed from the 90's emphasis on hanging onto an unbeaten record?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:36 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Think Rosario-Chavez at lightweight comes close to superfight status. People forget that Rosario had just scrambled the consensus number one at 135 in Bramble and that he was actually a shade of odds on to beat JCC in their clash. The usual bad blood between Mexico and Puerto Rico added to the mix, making it a fight that everyone wanted to see. The fight itself was too one-sided to be classed as a great one, but I still reckon that it was Chavez's defining performance and one of the truly great individual efforts of all time.

Bramble was one of my favorite fighters............Saw him beat the Whittaker-esque....Tyrone Crawley just before Edwin and he fought well against Mancini twice....Didn't see the massacre against Rosario coming.......Then again I do believe him when he says he was thumbed as he spent most of the latter-part of the second round pawing at his eye.....Dispute this was a superfight ......though I'm sure had he won the pre-amble it would have been with Camacho next....

Fancied JCC to beat Edwin and he was a 7-5 favorite mainly because I saw Rosario crumble against Ramirez and the consensus was If you took his shot he became ordinary........Was due to stay in and watch the fight but was dragged to a party and met my Wife......

Tyson-Spinks was the biggest disappointment of any superfight to many although I always saw Spinks getting battered....After all he wobbled everytime Holmes caught him clean..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:40 pm

Correct re, the odds, truss and I've altered my original post accordingly. It was the case, however, that there was a flood of late money for Rosario from knowledgeable faces who were not alone in thinking that the Chavez who struggled at 130 with guys like Pratchett and Lockridge was going to find it tough to take Chapo's Sunday best shot.

In retrospect, the 8-5 about Chavez (just checked) represented a steal, but isn't that always the way?

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Correct re, the odds, truss and I've altered my original post accordingly. It was the case, however, that there was a flood of late money for Rosario from knowledgeable faces who were not alone in thinking that the Chavez who struggled at 130 with guys like Pratchett and Lockridge was going to find it tough to take Chapo's Sunday best shot.

In retrospect, the 8-5 about Chavez (just checked) represented a steal, but isn't that always the way?

I wasn't being pedantic Captain.......Much anticipated fight and no one would have complained had Edwin been the favorite.....Much was dependent on whether Chavez a la Gomez v Sanchez would be as good at a higher weight....

I was surprised how one sided it was......Almost as If Chavez intimidated him...There was a touch of "I'm winning this..you are getting battered and you're going to like it" about the fight...

Interviewed after on HBO I recall Rosario saying "His arms felt paralysed before the fight started..etc " but no one believed him..Everyone just thought Chavez chin nullified his power.....

Sad fight really...If they'd taken him out after 8...He may have had a decent career left..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 06 Aug 2013, 5:28 pm

I don't know if it was a super fight but Douglas surrender against Holyfield was a real bad one coming off the back of beating Tyson.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm

bellchees wrote:I don't know if it was a super fight but Douglas surrender against Holyfield was a real bad one coming off the back of beating Tyson.

But not entirely unexpected..unfortunately...

Sad thing is a 230 pound Douglas would have had a chance of keeping holy off with his jab.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 06 Aug 2013, 6:18 pm

What about Hagler v Duran? I remember at the time it was the biggest fight of 1983. It wasn't a stinker but I don't think it was quite the spectacle that some expected.

Holmes v Cooney wasn't that exciting either. More of an event than anything else.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 6:55 pm

Could you add No Mas to this? You don't really expect a world class boxer to quit on his stool from frustration do you? People must have been a bit disappointed.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 7:49 pm

I would have said Mayweather vs Hatton was more of a super fight then Pacquiao vs Hatton. Both undefeated and all that.

Naz vs Barrera was a let down for me purely because the little gobsh!t got owned and then we watched his career sink down the pipe.

Im not classing Lewis vs Tyson as a super fight because it came about twenty years past Mikes prime so was more of a joke fight then super fight.

To be fair, the only real superfights i have watched and really enjoyed are:

JMM vs Pacquiao - All except the 3rd
Castillo vs Corrales - Epic
Hatton vs Mayweather
Vitali vs Lewis
Donaire vs Rigo

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:16 pm

I don't know what I was expecting when I stayed up until 4.30am to watch Calzaghe v Hopkins. I suppose when Calzaghe himself said he was bored during the fight it said it all.

I don't know if it qualifies as a super fight but the two of them ended up No.3 and No.4 in The Rings end of year p4p ratings for 2008..

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:30 pm

Some of Mayweathers fights have been boring. The pre-Meme JMM v Mayweather turned out to be a sparring session for Floyd. I knew it would be awful but just how bad it was surprised me.

The Mayweather v Mosley fight wasn't great either particularly with Mosley's sycophantic behaviour. Mosley was more interested in touching gloves than fighting.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 8:37 am

I disagree there Strongback. I think the Mayweather vs JMM was a beautiful show of technical boxing from Floyd who was hardly touched and yet managed to drop and hurt JMM and then land flush shot after flush shot with brilliant movement.

I suppose it depends which way you look at it. If you like boxing to be an all out slugfest, then look at your Hagler vs Hearns or your Castillo vs Corrales fights.

If you love technical fights look no further then Mayweather or the recent Rigo vs Donaire masterpiece.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 07 Aug 2013, 8:50 am

Would you re-watch Mayweather v Marquez and the recent Rig fight though ? I certainty wouldn't I couldn't wait until the fights were over watching them live. I do agree both were lovely performances, but as a fan you want to be entertained in competitive matchups back and forth, for genius as Mayweather is I dare say i wouldn't revisit any of his fights the same for Whitaker.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:20 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:I disagree there Strongback. I think the Mayweather vs JMM was a beautiful show of technical boxing from Floyd who was hardly touched and yet managed to drop and hurt JMM and then land flush shot after flush shot with brilliant movement.

I suppose it depends which way you look at it. If you like boxing to be an all out slugfest, then look at your Hagler vs Hearns or your Castillo vs Corrales fights.

If you love technical fights look no further then Mayweather or the recent Rigo vs Donaire masterpiece.

I thought Floyd v JMM was a mismatch with Marquez arriving to the fight overly biulked up, this dulled his abilities. The Marquez that last fought PAC would be a different prospect although I would still expect Mayweather to win easily.

If I had paid for that PPV I would have been fairly peeved. It really was like a training session with Floyd never being tested. A masterclass to me is a fighter demonstrating great skills in the face of adversity. There was more chance of Floyd tripping over a kerb and injuring himself during a walk in the park than Marquez being able to land a punch.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:28 am

Mobile, whether you admire technical masterclasses or slugfests, I think most are looking for their big fights to be competitive and to keep you on the edge of your seat. Top class sport is defined by small margins, but if one fighter does everything another does, but a little bit better, you get a one sided fight. I didnt watch floyd jmm as i couldnt see how jmm could ever win. Personally, I need a sense of doubt over the outcome to watch any sport... even if its just a slither. You can admire floyd's skills but still be bored by his fights if you think the result is a foregone conclusion.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:29 am

I'm with Strongy on this one. It's not about wanting a slugfest (I also loved the Rigo-Donaire fight, was eye-boggling in many ways) but the PBF-JMM fight never did anything for me as JMM was flabby and blown up fighting at a weight he'd never competed at before and PBF ignored the stips which smacked of so much arrogance it outweighed the quality of boxing performance he put on.

Post-meme JMM looks a totally different beast (emphasis on the 'beast').

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 07 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm

hazharrison wrote:
captain carrantuohil wrote:Could argue that Donaire has had one in almost every division that he has inhabited. If we allow the Darchinyan fight in retrospect, the Montiel fight looked pretty tasty at the time and delivered. The Rigondeaux fight, of course, didn't, but would think it was the nearest to a super fight that we've seen in recent years. Not at the levels of some from yesteryear, I concede, but beggars can't be choosers.

Good call on Donaire-Rigo. The Montiel fight was a showdown between the division's best but not sure Montiel could be classed as a great fighter.

Wasnt Montial rated number 5 P4P or something? Was a greatly anticipated fight in regards to a lot of people expected it to be more competitive....but then Montial went and done what fish out of water act on the floor
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 07 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

Rodney wrote:Would you re-watch Mayweather v Marquez and the recent Rig fight though ? I certainty wouldn't I couldn't wait until the fights were over watching them live. I do agree both were lovely performances, but as a fan you want to be entertained in competitive matchups back and forth, for genius as Mayweather is I dare say i wouldn't revisit any of his fights the same for Whitaker.

Cheers Rodders

re-watched Mayweather vs Cotto the other week, was a decent fight I'd say.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 2:33 pm

Strongback wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:I disagree there Strongback. I think the Mayweather vs JMM was a beautiful show of technical boxing from Floyd who was hardly touched and yet managed to drop and hurt JMM and then land flush shot after flush shot with brilliant movement.

I thought Floyd v JMM was a mismatch with Marquez arriving to the fight overly biulked up, this dulled his abilities.  The Marquez that last fought PAC would be a different prospect although I would still expect Mayweather to win easily.

If I had paid for that PPV I would have been fairly peeved.  It really was like a training session with Floyd never being tested. A masterclass to me is a fighter demonstrating great skills in the face of adversity.  There was more chance of Floyd tripping over a kerb and injuring himself during a walk in the park than Marquez being able to land a punch.

God forbid Mayweather ever has a decent win !!!!.........

You're a joke...You like Audley...you hate Haye.........You love Frampton so you want SKY to fail and bombard us with Boxnation articles now he's there ad nauseum.....You like Khan because he stuck two fingers up at the Brits and played the race card....

Not sure you're a boxing fan at all Mate !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Wed 07 Aug 2013, 4:40 pm

To be fair I don't think Mayweather has been in too many good fights, thanks to his sublime talent he tends to win far too easily to make it absorbing viewing. His masterclasses against Mosley, Marquez, Hatton, Hernandez, Corrales etc. are a thing of beauty but only the die hards are going to appreciate what they see. His magnum opus is his dismantling of Gatti but I can't imagine many would rewatch it as it was that one sided.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 07 Aug 2013, 8:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

I thought Floyd v JMM was a mismatch with Marquez arriving to the fight overly biulked up, this dulled his abilities.  The Marquez that last fought PAC would be a different prospect although I would still expect Mayweather to win easily.

If I had paid for that PPV I would have been fairly peeved.  It really was like a training session with Floyd never being tested. A masterclass to me is a fighter demonstrating great skills in the face of adversity.  There was more chance of Floyd tripping over a kerb and injuring himself during a walk in the park than Marquez being able to land a punch.

You're a joke...You like Audley...you hate Haye.........You love Frampton so you want SKY to fail and bombard us with Boxnation articles now he's there ad nauseum.....You like Khan because he stuck two fingers up at the Brits and played the race card....

Laugh Laugh 

Box Nation articles, Frampton articles, Audley, I have never written an article on any of those subjects.  I suppose America being the birth place of Walter Mitty explains a few things. Then again maybe you swallowed too many of those pink pump up pills.

Keep it up though, I don't think I'll ever get tired laughing at you.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 8:33 pm

Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Laugh Laugh 

Box Nation articles, Frampton articles, Audley, I have never written an article on any of those subjects.  I suppose America being the birth place of Walter Mitty explains a few things.  Then again maybe you swallowed too many of those pink pump up pills.

You bore me...

"Boxnation major announcements ".

"Free registration on Boxnation offer"

"warren's latest article".........About sixth and tenth and ffiteenth down on your list of threads... Mate.....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 07 Aug 2013, 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Laugh Laugh 

Box Nation articles, Frampton articles, Audley, I have never written an article on any of those subjects.  I suppose America being the birth place of Walter Mitty explains a few things.  Then again maybe you swallowed too many of those pink pump up pills.

You bore me...

"Boxnation major announcements ".

"Free registration on Boxnation offer"

"warren's latest article".........About sixth and tenth and ffiteenth down on your list of threads... Mate.....

You fail miserably.

I post up about fights when they are announced if nobody else has.  I have posted up articles about Sky cards also.

I don't have a Sky or Box Nation subscription.  That won't change.

Where are the Frampton and Audley articles I supposedly wrote???

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next