The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Fights That Did Not Deliver

+18
mobilemaster8
bhb001
Atila
bellchees
TRUSSMAN66
horizontalhero
JabMachineMK2
Mr Bounce
seanmichaels
RanjitPatel
The Terror of Tylorstown
captain carrantuohil
88Chris05
hazharrison
STC
Rodney
Pedro147
Rowley
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Super Fights That Did Not Deliver - Page 2 Empty Super Fights That Did Not Deliver

Post by Rowley Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Am sure this topic has been done before so apologies if that is the case but a conversation between the Captain and milky about Leonard vs Hagler got me to thinking about super fights that have failed to deliver or have disappointed.

For me the one that I was most disappointed with was De La Hoya vs Trinidad. In the run up to this I was hugely excited. Both were unbeaten and belt holders so the fight was a genuine unification and on paper it looked like it had the potential to really deliver. DLH had, on the whole looked the part in the run up to the fight, picking up belts almost at will at the lower weights and the Whitaker fight aside tending not to have too much trouble in doing so. Trinidad also looked an absolute beast at welter knocking people sideways when he connected, but with the air of susceptibility in the chin department that could see him visit the canvas on occasions.

Everything pointed to an absolute barn burner, but alas the truth turned out to be far more mundane with Trinidad showing early signs of the vulnerability to slick boxers that was to become more pronounced later in his career and Oscar happy to stay outside racking up points until his inexplicable decision to take the last few rounds off which was ultimately to cost him.

Whilst the fight is by no means an absolute stinker it was certainly not a great and given the potential I cannot help but feel a little short changed with this one. Just wondered which of the mega fights left you feeling similarly non plussed?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Super Fights That Did Not Deliver - Page 2 Empty Re: Super Fights That Did Not Deliver

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:23 pm

Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:I disagree there Strongback. I think the Mayweather vs JMM was a beautiful show of technical boxing from Floyd who was hardly touched and yet managed to drop and hurt JMM and then land flush shot after flush shot with brilliant movement.

I suppose it depends which way you look at it. If you like boxing to be an all out slugfest, then look at your Hagler vs Hearns or your Castillo vs Corrales fights.

If you love technical fights look no further then Mayweather or the recent Rigo vs Donaire masterpiece.

I thought Floyd v JMM was a mismatch with Marquez arriving to the fight overly biulked up, this dulled his abilities.  The Marquez that last fought PAC would be a different prospect although I would still expect Mayweather to win easily.

If I had paid for that PPV I would have been fairly peeved.  It really was like a training session with Floyd never being tested. A masterclass to me is a fighter demonstrating great skills in the face of adversity.  There was more chance of Floyd tripping over a kerb and injuring himself during a walk in the park than Marquez being able to land a punch.

God forbid Mayweather ever has a decent win !!!!.........

You're a joke...You like Audley...you hate Haye.........You love Frampton so you want SKY to fail and bombard us with Boxnation articles now he's there ad nauseum.....You like Khan because he stuck two fingers up at the Brits and played the race card....

Not sure you're a boxing fan at all Mate !!

Laugh Laugh 

Box Nation articles, Frampton articles, Audley, I have never written an article on any of those subjects.  I suppose America being the birth place of Walter Mitty explains a few things.  Then again maybe you swallowed too many of those pink pump up pills.

Keep it up though, I don't think I'll ever get tired laughing at you.

You bore me...

"Boxnation major announcements ".

"Free registration on Boxnation offer"

"warren's latest article".........About sixth and tenth and ffiteenth down on your list of threads... Mate.....

You fail miserably.

I post up about fights when they are announced if nobody else has.  I have posted up articles about Sky cards also.

I don't have a Sky or Box Nation subscription.  That won't change.

Where are the Frampton and Audley articles I supposedly wrote???

Wait a minute I fail ?????

You put you don't write about boxnation in your post above dumby..............so you lied...RIGHT ??

Just give over...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Super Fights That Did Not Deliver - Page 2 Empty Re: Super Fights That Did Not Deliver

Post by Strongback Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:I disagree there Strongback. I think the Mayweather vs JMM was a beautiful show of technical boxing from Floyd who was hardly touched and yet managed to drop and hurt JMM and then land flush shot after flush shot with brilliant movement.

I suppose it depends which way you look at it. If you like boxing to be an all out slugfest, then look at your Hagler vs Hearns or your Castillo vs Corrales fights.

If you love technical fights look no further then Mayweather or the recent Rigo vs Donaire masterpiece.

I thought Floyd v JMM was a mismatch with Marquez arriving to the fight overly biulked up, this dulled his abilities.  The Marquez that last fought PAC would be a different prospect although I would still expect Mayweather to win easily.

If I had paid for that PPV I would have been fairly peeved.  It really was like a training session with Floyd never being tested. A masterclass to me is a fighter demonstrating great skills in the face of adversity.  There was more chance of Floyd tripping over a kerb and injuring himself during a walk in the park than Marquez being able to land a punch.

God forbid Mayweather ever has a decent win !!!!.........

You're a joke...You like Audley...you hate Haye.........You love Frampton so you want SKY to fail and bombard us with Boxnation articles now he's there ad nauseum.....You like Khan because he stuck two fingers up at the Brits and played the race card....

Not sure you're a boxing fan at all Mate !!

Laugh Laugh 

Box Nation articles, Frampton articles, Audley, I have never written an article on any of those subjects.  I suppose America being the birth place of Walter Mitty explains a few things.  Then again maybe you swallowed too many of those pink pump up pills.

Keep it up though, I don't think I'll ever get tired laughing at you.

You bore me...

"Boxnation major announcements ".

"Free registration on Boxnation offer"

"warren's latest article".........About sixth and tenth and ffiteenth down on your list of threads... Mate.....

You fail miserably.

I post up about fights when they are announced if nobody else has.  I have posted up articles about Sky cards also.

I don't have a Sky or Box Nation subscription.  That won't change.

Where are the Frampton and Audley articles I supposedly wrote???

Wait a minute I fail ?????

You put you don't write about boxnation in your post above dumby..............so you lied...RIGHT ??

Just give over...

You said I had an obsession with Frampton and Audley. Where's the proof you liar?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:31 pm

You're a liar and I proved it......Three boxnation articles you've never written.......

Show more class..

You lied about Yates until CAST outed you.....You lie constantly and I just think you're pitiful..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're a liar and I proved it......

You're a liar and I proved it.

You've been hanging around for years telling lies.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:36 pm

Fairminded posters can see the evidence above..

I'm not interested anymore..I've wasted enough time on you and you're not worth It !!

Cheers...good night.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:44 pm

You, fair and reasonable, give me a break.

You're full of it and you tried to start an argument based on thin air because I said some of Mayweather's fights were boring.

You're nothing but a bully but mark my words you won't bully me son.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2