The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cody Rhodes: Growing Up In WCW

Go down

Cody Rhodes: Growing Up In WCW Empty Cody Rhodes: Growing Up In WCW

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:37 am

Cody Rhodes is slowly becoming one of my absolute favourites. I've really enjoyed the face turn after a strong run with Sandow in Rhodes Scholars. I then watched the nWo Revolution DVD where Cody Rhodes is used as one of the contributors in between shots to talk about the product and was extremely interesting, giving a good insight as a young fan who got an experience inside the business like no other and obviously has his current role too. 

WWE.com recently posted an article that I think is a really good read. Cody Rhodes talks to the site about his experiences growing up backstage in WCW. Below is the first page of eleven, which can be found here: http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/cody-rhodes-growing-up-wcw-26138473

This isn’t hyperbole. Genuinely, the first memory I have is my dad taking me to a WCW show. I remember specifically, because of the logo in the ring. This is the only memory I have – he put my feet on the mat. I guess I could barely walk. Then he picked me up, put me over the top rope and handed me off to somebody. He wanted me to feel the ring. That is literally the earliest memory I have.

From the time I was able to, until I was about 6 or 7, I went to every local WCW show with my dad from Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama. I’d go to the WCW offices in CNN Center and sit in on my dad and Tony Schiavone doing the voiceovers for WCW Saturday Night.

I found out via Blockbuster Video how special my dad was in the sports-entertainment world. I didn’t know, because I wasn’t old enough. I wasn’t able to form a thought when he won the World Heavyweight Championship, or when he brought the WarGames, or when he was battling The Four Horsemen. That was all stuff I rented on VHS tapes at Blockbuster Video.

When I would go as kid, even when he was competing, he was also the promoter. So I got a pretty good indication when he was in charge. He’d be having all these very serious conversations by the side of his old F-150 with guys like Sting. I was just sitting in the backseat wondering what the heck they were talking about.

My dad used to use me as a barometer. When I’d go to WCW pay-per-views, my dad was on commentary and they sat away from the ring. I would sit in front of their desk. These big epic matches would take place and he would watch me, to see if I looked back at him or if I was totally invested.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down