The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Cody Rhodes should win MITB

+4
HitmanOwl
Kay Fabe
Crimey
ADMIN
8 posters

Go down

Why Cody Rhodes should win MITB Empty Why Cody Rhodes should win MITB

Post by ADMIN Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:58 pm

taken from http://bleacherreport.com/articles/757910-wwe-why-cody-rhodes-is-the-next-mr-money-in-the-bank

The WWE is just a few weeks away from the Money In The Bank pay-per-view event, and things on television seem to be heating up as superstars are jockeying to get a major league push as Mr. Money in the Bank.

The ladder match is one of the riskiest matches that the WWE has to offer, but the reward in this match is very great because the winner gets a contract that guarantees him a WWE/World title shot at any time. The contract practically guarantees a superstar a world title reign, because every superstar who has cashed in the MITB contract has gone on to become a champion.

With all the talk of future pushes and up-and-coming superstars, the one superstar who seems primed for a world title push is currently on SmackDown: “Dashing” Cody Rhodes.

Cody Rhodes has been on a major roll since last July when he moved over to SmackDown from RAW and became “Dashing.” Rhodes used the pretty boy role as his ticket to superstardom,, and he began to impress fans with his in-ring work and great promos.

Rhodes worked well as a under-card heel on SmackDown and was even WWE Tag Team Champion last October. The push was done pretty well, but the genesis of Cody Rhodes took place in January when Rhodes had his nose “broken” against Rey Mysterio.

When Rhodes had his nose broken, Rhodes turned into a dark character who was disgusted with himself and everyone who criticized his hideous looks. Rhodes targeted Rey Mysterio, and the feud was a success in the eyes of fans, critics, and most importantly, his peers. Rhodes displayed that he can be taken seriously as a main-event heel talent and that he can work with anyone that the WWE has to offer.

It isn’t a matter of if Cody will be world champion, it’s more of when will he become a world champion. Cody Rhodes has all the tools to become a world champion, from the look to the in-ring ability to the mic-work. Rhodes is in a primed position for a main-event push in the next few months, so what better way to get a huge push then to win the SmackDown Money In The Bank ladder match and then eventually cash it in and become the World Heavyweight Champion.

Rhodes could do some great things as World Champion, but the guy that I’d love to see him cash it on is Randy Orton. Orton pushed Rhodes to the moon when Legacy was the hot topic on RAW back in 2009. Rhodes learned a lot from Orton and got that main-event rub from “The Viper.”

The idea of Rhodes cashing in the MITB contract on Orton would be a seller because that would make Cody’s career come into full-circle by defeating his former mentor for the richest prize in the WWE. Rhodes versus Orton would be a feud that fans would be interested in, and it would truly display how far Cody has come inside and outside of the squared circle.

I feel that Rhodes is ready for a main-event push and he can truly be a talent that fans will tune in to see each and every week. SmackDown has plenty of heels on the roster, but Rhodes shines above the rest because he is an up-and-coming talent and is someone that the WWE can market as champion.

Rhodes deserves the chance to become Mr. Money In The Bank, and hopefully the idea of it becomes a fact instead of just remaining an idea.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Why Cody Rhodes should win MITB Empty Re: Why Cody Rhodes should win MITB

Post by Crimey Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:02 pm

I think they have left it a bit too long after the Mysterio feud to pull the trigger with Rhodes, it seems like he is gone backwards as he starts to team up with Dibiase again.

I also wonder whether after 2 years would WWE bring back the whole Legacy feud, especially considering it would mean Cody is in the more face position, ala Riley and The Miz.

I'd like to see Rhodes pushed to the main event, but maybe they shouldn't do it by Money in the Bank, as I'd be worried it would turn out like Swagger and he would be pushed to the main event, without the real fan reaction to support it and his title reign would flop and WWE would be scared to give him a good role again.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:50 pm

Even though 99.9% of posters who saw me tip him as a future World Champion way back in 09 thought I was mad, I still don't think Cody should get the case, I think he has been pushed brilliantly, but I also think the push has to remain tactile and he certainly doesn't need it either.

He still has plenty on, he is still got the whole mask story to play out and the di Biase story, they have also set a plan out to have a program with Booker T later in the year, Cody is probably the one guy who doesn't need it, Cody's time will definitely come and beating Orton for the belt would be symbolic but I'd rather see it a year down the line.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:59 pm

Cody is nowhere near close enough,maybe in a year or so. He will go into a feud with disease.

My money is on sheamus.

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by longlivethestream Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

Personally i would love to see Cody win MITB, especially with his current gimmick. I think the threat of him cashing in the contract, with his unstable persona would be very interesting if booked properly.

It seemed far too soon for the Miz to be pushed to the same heights last year, but he ended up with a pretty long title reign, and a victory over Cena at Wrestlemaina as well.

longlivethestream

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:28 pm

I didn't like Miz reign as the Champ, his entire run was booked to make him look Champion by default, since he dropped the belt he's done nothing but job to a rookie, Rhodes has a great character but for me should be allowed to continue his slow build rather than having the crux of the case

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzman Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

the-gaffer wrote:I didn't like Miz reign as the Champ, his entire run was booked to make him look Champion by default, since he dropped the belt he's done nothing but job to a rookie, Rhodes has a great character but for me should be allowed to continue his slow build rather than having the crux of the case

totally agree with you there. Sheamus should win it and go on a bit of a rampage. Rhodes doesn't need it yet and Miz would be boring imo.

Buzzman

Back to top Go down

Post by longlivethestream Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

The Miz's reign split me personally. He did look like a weak champion, but when Cena is the main challenger, its hard to make him look strong, and thinking he was going to lose it at every PPV at least made it watchable.

I do agree that this PPV may have come about 6 months to soon for Rhodes, but i think with a long stint with the briefcase before cashing it in could work. And other than Sheamus i can't see anyone else winning it, especially after Barret has been booked horribly in recent months.

longlivethestream

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:48 pm

If Cody was to win the Money in the Bank briefcase, I'd rather he held onto it for a long time. I much prefer when the owner of the briefcase keeps hold of it, and builds themselves up with it and then cashes in, rather than the quick cash in, like what Edge did.

I think it makes it much better when they do finally win the world title as they have established themselves before they cash it in rather than suddenly being thrown into the big times.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:59 pm

If Rhodes wins it I would expect him to hold it for a while but personally I just feel its an added extra he could do without, on the Miz, i actually felt Cena is the only guy he didn't look like an incapable bum against, an after thought definitely

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJohnson Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

I actually think Cody Rhodes should spend upwards of 6 months as the IC Champion.In my opinion,Ezekiel Jackson is useless and Cody should take the belt from him in the next month or two.

Have Cody being IC Champ up until Royal Rumble-Mania next year would be a huge push in my opinion and cement his place.

If his work is still of an outstanding calibre then there is no reason as to why he cannot be world champion in 2012.

I just would like to see the character progress more and more because then I will really buy into him as a main event guy.

JJJohnson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:56 pm

I definitely agree, I'd have him win the IC Title at SummerSlam then hold it until Mania and from Mania to MitB build him up in a way that winning the case would be the next logical step

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJohnson Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:13 pm

As much as I want to see new main eventers,this thing just doesn't happen over night.

On Raw, you have guys like Kingston and Ziggler competing over the US Title and I enjoy it, I think they work well together and in 5 years time I can definitely see Ziggler, if not Kingston as well, being main event players.

But they have spent time at that level and they have earnt their stripes in my opinion which is what it is all about.

Cody is one of the brightest talents in WWE, no doubt about it, but I do not want to see too much, too soon. Being a mid-tier champion is not bad thing and I just think that the main event scene on both shows has enough talent right now without being overcrowded.

On Raw,Cena/Punk/ADR is definitely what I expect to be seeing in the coming months and on Smackdown I expect Orton/Christian/Sheamus and both of them feuds intrigue me.You throw guys like Rhodes in the mix and I have a horrible feeling he gets lost by the wayside.

Have him come up just short in MITB this year, a few near misses but ultimately Sheamus is the winner. Rhodes loses no face and turns his attention to Jackson. I have no problem with Dibiase and Rhodes working together as I think they make a good team and there is no reason why this cannot continue.

Rhodes takes the IC strap, as gaffer says, at Summerslam and goes on a tremendous run with it. You look at the Smackdown roster and whilst it isnt brimming with talent there is more than enough for Rhodes to have some very good matchups. I would love to watch Rhodes against Bryan/Sin Cara/Justin Gabriel and think prestige would be restored in the IC belt.I would keep Dibiase by Rhodes' side as I think it gives him a rub aswell.

In my opinion, have Rhodes compete in Elimination Chamber next February and you get a taster of how he performs in a main event without all eyes being on him.Then have a 15 minute plus match at Mania where he drops the strap to Bryan, I think they can work very well together.

From that point on we can see Rhodes make the leap into the big leagues,I think by this time next year he will be ready and I will be looking forward to it.

Guys like Jericho/Benoit/Angle/Michaels/Bret Hart all had to work their way up.They earnt it through hardwork at the mid-tier and they made the fans really know their characters before making the leap.

WWE have made a few mistakes in recent years with big pushes a little too early, but I think if done correctly then Rhodes will be a star in twelve months.

JJJohnson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by longlivethestream Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:18 pm

I think a long IC reign would be the ideal way to put Rhodes into the main event picture, but i also thought that about Barrett as well. But he ended up losing it the moment he lost the support of his faction.
The IC title doesnt mean anything anymore, but giving Rhodes the belt for an extended period could push Rhodes on, and give the belt a bit of credibility again.

Who was the last big main eventer who really benefitted from holding one of the secondary titles?

longlivethestream

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJohnson Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:22 pm

John Cena benefited greatly from being US Champion,IMO, and helped him get the push to the top. The reaction he gets at WM XX when beating Big Show was huge.

I also think Orton's run as IC Champion did him wonders back in 04 but I appreciate that in the past few years it hasn't helped many men climb up.

I am only talking hypothetically, I do not expect the WWE to conform with my own ideas but I think if they look back at their great work through the years they will see that this tried and tested formula works more often than not.

JJJohnson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by longlivethestream Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:34 pm

I agree with you, but surely these titles should have produced more main eventers than those two over the last 7 years. Hopefully Cody will be the next one, and it will propel the title back to the standards it held in the past.

But probably not.

longlivethestream

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

I don't think Cody should win the MITB. For me the last year with the whole 'Dashing' has been fantastic to watch. However, he hasn't had enough feuds for me to develop into a Main Event draw. I know he has feuded with Rey, but I think he needs another feud just to elevate him to that next level. I draw similarities with him and HBK purely because even though HBK was 6'2 245 lbs, he was still able enough to feud with the likes of Sid and Diesel and the Undertaker given their size and able to make it watchable and entertaining. If Cody feuded with Kane or Daniel Bryan, just so he is able to have 'stipulation' matches, like a burried alive match with Kane or falls count anywhere match with Daniel Bryan, just something that can show his versatility.

I have no doubt he is Main Event material in the making, but I still think he needs some more matches to help elevate his wrestling game. I just think all the time he has one on one matches all the time, it limits him to what he can do.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down