The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One week to Cleverly's next fight

+8
bellchees
mobilemaster8
John Bloody Wayne
BoxingFan88
AlexHuckerby
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hampo17
bhb001
12 posters

Go down

One week to Cleverly's next fight Empty One week to Cleverly's next fight

Post by bhb001 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 12:49 pm

I have not been kind to Cleverly with respect to his choice of opponents, but feel that this one is a proper test and applaud him for taking it. I believe he will lose this fight by ko within 6 rounds, but I have been widely wrong before. Bute would of course beat Froch; Lacy too strong for Calazghe etc. And I hope this is another one of these times when the lad proves me wrong. Mind you, if he wins in impressive style, I expect there will be plenty to say his opponent wasn't everything he was cracked up to be. So, head says Kovalev, but I hope that I am proven to be vastly underating Cleverly. What are people's predictions then (apart from pain!!)

bhb001

Back to top Go down

One week to Cleverly's next fight Empty Re: One week to Cleverly's next fight

Post by hampo17 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 2:01 pm

You've hit the nail on the head mate. We've mentioned it a few times on the podcast, that if Cleverly wins easily then Kovalev becomes overhyped.

Cleverly win box properly and win a UD in this one.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 10 Aug 2013, 2:38 pm

Clev is going to have to show huge improvement if he is to survive as this far he has been hit cleanly and overwhelms opponents which will be hard to do against Kovalev

The guy is a natural puncher, very heavy hands and doesn't a lot f energy. He too isn't the hardest to find and isn't the fastest, but he's defensively adept and has good footwork who can get out f trouble and cut off the ring

Clev has only been shaken briefly when he won his title on the degale vs Groves card if I can remember so has a good chin but has never has fought anyone as strong or as good as this guy

Bellew is his best name and he almost lost that

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 10 Aug 2013, 4:18 pm

To be fair though, Bellew has now worked his way back into contention for another tile shot so perhaps we shouldn't be too harsh on Cleverly for struggling with Bellew now? Mind you, I don't really rate Bellew all that highly just yet.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 10 Aug 2013, 4:28 pm

Bellew has improved since then and hadn't looked very good prior to Clev

Clev was out boxed fairly easily imo for the first half and then just grinded and outworked bellew as he got tired. He was almost completely ineffective on the backfoot and if he is that poor against Kovalev it will be an early night

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 10 Aug 2013, 4:44 pm

I agree, but I'm not too sure as to how much better Bellew has got to be totally honest with you, still looks to only be able to fight one way and has maybe only improved his stamina a little bit since then.

He looks around the same skill level to me, just marauding, keeps throwing punches wildly really, no plan B.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 10 Aug 2013, 5:01 pm

Not so much he's improved it's just he fights smarter, actually uses his height and reach instead of trying to blast them out early. Clev was one of the first fights were he tried to box properly and he looked a little rigid whereas now he looks a lot more comfortable and the competition he's been in with now has helped him too

I don't think Clev has improved as he's fought such a poor level of opposition and so I'd pick Bellew to beat him if they had a rematch tomorrow

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 6:17 pm

I'm going to this and I can't wait, massive step for Cleverly, lets hope he can do it.

I'm going for Cleverly to win a clear UD and look good doing it, I think he will show us some of the boxing skills, which we have been crying out for.

If he starts trading this fight will be over quickly, Cleverly doesn't need to prove to us that he can take a punch and must absolutely take minimum risks in this fight. Kovalev made mince meat of Campillo and White, Cleverly cannot get macho in this one.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 10 Aug 2013, 7:52 pm

Agree entirely with the OP. Kovalev looks to have pretty great power and accuracy. Cleverly will have to show something, something, I've never seen from him before. Whether it be actually using his range, actually jabbing and parrying or maybe even some punching power.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 11 Aug 2013, 9:15 am

Agree again with the OP, but what a fight we should be in for.

My only concern is that the Cleverley camp are stating that they are on a mission to KO kovalev, and Cleverley has been pretty vocal on that over the past week.

I sincerely hopes he does not trade with this guy and instead opts to use his speed and combination punching to cruise to a UD with some shaky moments in between.

If he does indeed trade, then Cleverley gets stopped early.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 11 Aug 2013, 10:32 am

Kovalov hasn't dealt with anyone that can take his power and dish it back so you never know what might happen when they trade...

I was hyping this guy up back before he beat Campillo but I still have doubts about whether he can give one and take one back, if he blastrs Cleverly out of there that would be extremely impressive.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 11 Aug 2013, 12:30 pm

There's still an unknown about about Kovavlevs stamina and whether he carries his power later into a fight or not so Clev really needs to stay away early and drag this into the later rounds as we know he has an excellent engine and a decent chin so after the half way mark if he feels Kovalev lose a bit of power he should be able to take a few more chances and get more of his own punches off.

I do worry about Clev over looking this guy as it was only a week or so ago he was talking about moving on to bigger things against the likes of Hopkins, he really should know that one mistake against this guy and it could be lights out.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 11 Aug 2013, 1:08 pm

Well the furthest Kovalev has been is 8 I think so Clev should be comfortable if it goes long as he's proven over 12 but the reason why he doesn't go long is because of his power so it's hard to tell if his power carries as he hasnt allowed us to see it

I do get worried listening to clev as he seems to be looking past Kovalev power. He keeps going on about his chin and how he will KO Kovalev and get big HBO dates. He's mentioned umpteen times that he's sparred heavies like fury and Ttson without going down but that was only sparring where fighters dont go all out and have headgear and 16oz gloves instead of the 8oz gloves Kovalev will probably have

Clev's workrate could snatch it for him or take himself out. Over the didtance he should outwork Kovalev but when he throws that many he opens himself up to gard clean shots and he cant be taking too many of those

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 11 Aug 2013, 1:34 pm

Did Frank Warren pick the opponent?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 11 Aug 2013, 1:37 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Well the furthest Kovalev has been is 8 I think so Clev should be comfortable if it goes long as he's proven over 12 but the reason why he doesn't go long is because of his power so it's hard to tell if his power carries as he hasnt allowed us to see it

I do get worried listening to clev as he seems to be looking past Kovalev power. He keeps going on about his chin and how he will KO Kovalev and get big HBO dates. He's mentioned umpteen times that he's sparred heavies like fury and Ttson without going down but that was only sparring where fighters dont go all out and have headgear and 16oz gloves instead of the 8oz gloves Kovalev will probably have

Clev's workrate could snatch it for him or take himself out. Over the didtance he should outwork Kovalev but when he throws that many he opens himself up to gard clean shots and he cant be taking too many of those

I think he needs to be very careful early on and reign in that work rate because as you say the openings he leaves means he'll get caught big but after half way he'll have to take some chances and really apply the pressure to Kovalev and see how his chin and stamina hold up, really looking forward to this fight now.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 11 Aug 2013, 1:39 pm

Kovalov leaves himself pretty open so he's well open for counters, I just worry with how hard Cleverly hits, he really doesn't seem to hit hard at all, Karpency seemed able to soak his punches up quite capably and Kovalov is a darn sight tougher I'd wager and then Cleverly's defence.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:34 am

Quote from the Telegraph.
"Kovalev (21 wins, one draw) has stopped 18 of his 19 knockout victims in the ring inside three rounds, and carries power in both hands. “When Joe saw this opponent he told me to look back at his fight with Jeff Lacey and take note of what happened there. They are two different scenarios, but we could see a repeat of that,” explained Cleverly."

I don't see the two scenarios being very different at all, unless of course he doesn't want to reveal his tactics before the big night. I do think the blue print for him is the Calzaghe fight, but, to para phrase a US Presidential candidate "you, sir, are no Calzaghe". Here's hoping he proves me wrong.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 13 Aug 2013, 1:06 pm

Lots of important fights coming up in the LHW division. There's:

Cleverly vs Kovalev
Stevenson vs Cloud
Hopkins vs Murat
Pascal vs Bute
Bellew vs Stevenson/Cloud

Can't wait to see who emerges on top from that pack

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 1:56 pm

Boxthis, thanks for the list. Superb time in the LHW really. My money would be on Stevenson or old man Hopkins coming through.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:00 pm

bhb001 wrote:Boxthis, thanks for the list. Superb time in the LHW really. My money would be on Stevenson or old man Hopkins coming through.

If ever there was a case of killing yourself to jump on the hype train that's it right there. Dear God in Heaven, the guy's done precisely the square root of **** all and then lands himself a humdinger of a punch and you're praising him to the skies.

This is why I'm glad we don't have ready access to automatic weapons in the Country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:11 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
bhb001 wrote:Boxthis, thanks for the list. Superb time in the LHW really. My money would be on Stevenson or old man Hopkins coming through.

If ever there was a case of killing yourself to jump on the hype train that's it right there. Dear God in Heaven, the guy's done precisely the square root of **** all and then lands himself a humdinger of a punch and you're praising him to the skies.

This is why I'm glad we don't have ready access to automatic weapons in the Country.
You are probably right, but I can't see Cleverly coming through Saturday let alone the ranks!! If Hopkins is the best out there, we are seriously messed up!! But the names at the top are pretty good and competative when we compare them against the Heavy weights for example.

Last edited by bhb001 on Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:11 pm

LHW doesn't really have one standout talent. Its a collection of fairly and quite goods.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:18 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

He landed a humdinger of a punch, and regardless of where he is on the scorecards in a fight, he could well do it a few more times. Can't see what the rest of the guys on that list have that sets them apart to be honest.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:21 pm

Cleverly vs Kovalev
Stevenson vs Cloud
Hopkins vs Murat
Pascal vs Bute
Bellew vs Stevenson/Cloud

I think Cloud is the weakest on that list, and I'll take Stevenson to KO him and keep the hype train running for a bit longer. He's nothing special though, and I'd take Old Man Hopkins to pick him apart. I even give Bellew a shot against him, although he wouldn't be the favourite. Cleverly vs Kovalev will reveal a lot. I don't think Clev is anything special by any means, but if he gets by Kovalev then he could get by Stevenson. Imagine he unified the two titles? It could happen - beat Kovalev, take an easy one, then fight Stevenson if he beats Bellew (or jump the queue). Then he could outwork an 83 year Hopkins to become undisputed. What a ridiculous notion.

But I agree with Jab - it's a list of good fighters (and one old great) who could all probably beat each other. At least it makes for exciting fights when you don't know who's going to win!

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:32 pm

The fact that it causes debate makes it a good, exciting division. Better than when there are one or two stand outs and several also rans.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:41 pm

Hopkins will be 84 by then not 83 mate.

Seriously though the stabdout for me in that pack is Hopkins and Cleverly.

Bellee ain't much and will get decked by Adonis. Pascal will crush Bute and then beat Adonis on points. Not including cloud because he is garbage, in picking Cleverley to pick up an impressive knockout win on Sat.

Hopkins vs Cleverly next Sept maybe in Cardiff so long as Bernard is out of community care to come along

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 6:06 pm

I don't know what it is, but LHW doesn't excite me in the slightest. I think Hopkins and his spoiling, ugly tactics makes for bad watching and considering he's probably the best - makes the division look poor overall. I think the past 2 years being fed lies about Cleverly and how he's fighting the hardest opposition out there and how everyone is ducking him has turned me against him. Think he fought well last time out, he's skillful, but he's wasted what should have been the years he builds hype and doesn't kill it. Bellew is an annoying human being and considering Stephenson won with a bomb instead of beautiful boxing - it takes the shine off. Look at Middleweight. Consensus that Golovkin or Martinez are the best. You can get excited about their fights. Look at Heavyweight, you can get excited about a Klitschko fight because you KNOW they're the best. Welterweight/LMW - Mayweather vs Alvarez etc

I don't know, I just see LHW as boring. Same as Cruiserweight.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 7:44 pm

They are good points JM2, but I can't get excited by the Klitschkos as I know that they are so much better than their opposition that I know they will win. Now, on Saturday, I fully expect Cleverly to come a cropper, but I am far from certain. That makes it exciting for me. Mind you, I don't advocate mediocracy over excellence, but do not want fore gone conclusions all the time.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:08 pm

This Light Heavy division is poor,it says everything when an old man like Hopkins has a chance of ruling it. This is one of the worst Light Heavy eras I can remember its shocking.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:27 pm

I have been watching some of Kovalev fights. On review I predict Cleverly is gonna get murdered. KO'd in the first 4 rounds.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 13 Aug 2013, 9:07 pm

It seems Tony " The Ball Bag" Bellew has been at it again on Twitter critisizing Cleverlys opponent.  Kovalev would easily smash Bellew up, he's a much better fighter than the scoucer.

Tony Bellew ‏@TonyBellew 3h
I'm amazed at the head to head result in @BoxingNewsED this week 90% to 10% think Tony Thompson will school Wilder? I go with Wilder, Styles (left this in to demonstrate Bellew's cluelessness).

@TonyBellew kovalev has a punchers chance and that's it!! Clev on points.. And GGG is another animal altogether haha

Tony Bellew ‏@TonyBellew 7h
Lets be straight here! I'm slagging no ones opponents! I'm merely stating facts! Like I said look closely at opponents and you'll see it!
Expand

Tony Bellew ‏@TonyBellew 8h
Ill say this only once!

Golovkin = P4P

Kovalev = Strong/Limited

There is NO comparison. For them asking the other fella wins comfortably

Just remember this is a voluntary not a mandatory! There is a reason they chose this guy. They see him as a hype job simples! That's my view

The fight wouldn't be happening if he was anything like Golovkin believe me. They see he's just a puncher and they know they'll outwork him!

Wow! People comparing Kovalev to Golovkin? Are you serious theres no comparison! Kovalev deserved to lose to Boone in there first fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:54 pm

Bellew sounds very bitter, this is a very dangerous test.

I just watched the Campillo and White fights again, Cleverly is in big trouble, he needs to give the fight of his life to win this.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down