The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barker - Geale - Anybody else turn the volume down ??

+9
seanmichaels
DynamiteChris
wheelchair1991
TopHat24/7
Strongback
mobilemaster8
Pekchenko
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
13 posters

Go down

Barker - Geale - Anybody else turn the volume down ?? Empty Barker - Geale - Anybody else turn the volume down ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 am

Commentator what a muppet...Thought I was watching Love story with Ryan o'neal...

"His brother"  ad nauseum ..yes we know............."He nearly quit the sport" ad nauseum ........yes we know........

"He's counting Jim that's a disgrace it was a low shot"...."Well our view was blocked by the referee".........Well why was it a disgrace then when you couldn't see .....you clown !!!!!

Sick to death of watching fights over here with commentary that should be accompanied by VIOLIN PLAYING......

It's unprofessional but not in Carpenter's Bruno-Tyson league yet !!.....

Commentators commentate and leave out the garbage.............Heaven knows what Adam Smith will be saying on the next show about Barker..

Got the vomit back ready...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Barker - Geale - Anybody else turn the volume down ?? Empty Re: Barker - Geale - Anybody else turn the volume down ??

Post by Rowley Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:33 am

Is our culture now Truss, everything is the X factor now and a sob story has to be attached to everything. Don’t get me wrong, Barker has suffered genuine tragedy in his life and he has my sympathy for that and admiration for what he has achieved in spite of this but like you I would prefer to be able to watch at least one thing without having to listen to tales of how someone’s Dad is stuck down a well or some such.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Barker - Geale - Anybody else turn the volume down ?? Empty Re: Barker - Geale - Anybody else turn the volume down ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:38 am

Mate...I wanted Barker to win and am happy he did so but it was just plain nauseating and the knockdown was disgraceful commentary.....

Athletics is worse.............."and he's left the German dead in second humiliated and here is brave John back in 10th place what a brave performance....."

"Let's hope our boys get a bronze in the relay because even though they broke the rules they trained hard".......WTF !!

Think it's getting worse Rowley.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:45 am

Halling is stealing a living- he's a commentator that spends most of his time putting his own viewpoint across- did the same on SKY'S NFL coverage and i was glad to see the back of him . Good commentators should simply describe what is going on in the match and set up the 'Expert' for their opinion. Mr Halling- i dont care what your opinion is, you are wholly unqualified to provide it

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:49 am

The problem is he sees what he wants to see and you get a different picture...

I had it really close........wouldn't have argued If Geale had took it.....

But he was only interested in Barker's work..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:13 am

Same. The commentary was stupid at times although not quite on channel 5 level. Barker, in my eyes, won by two rounds. But yet had Geale got the decision, i wouldn't have cried robbery as it was a very close and very tough fight for both.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:22 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

"Let's hope our boys get a bronze in the relay because even though they broke the rules they trained hard".......WTF !!
I loved how the BBC pundits thought that the over-celebrating of the relay team would seal the medal Laugh 

That was nauseating agreed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 am

Are BoxNation any worse than Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman over on HBO. Don't expect any better as long as TV channels generate audiences based on having a stable of "their" fighters.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:00 pm

No one has mentioned Boxnation....

Or Frampton for that matter..before you start.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:09 pm

BoxNation/ Sky Sport its all the same sycophantic guff.

You're right turn the volume down.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Pretty much all boxing commentary is awful.

Have muted the last Manny and Floyd fights I watched as they were so shockingly biaised and one-sided.

You're right re the 'low blow' call re the kd, absolutely ridiculous, definitely a moment to consider muting the plonkers.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Truss i agree with you here the sky team were terrible nick halling should not even be there its at times like that i miss adam darke

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by DynamiteChris Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:08 pm

I always thought Ian Darke was the best commentator for football and boxing.
Haven't heard him on boxing for ages.

On Sky it's too biased & not enough talk about tactics etc which is what I find interesting on the American shows, the HBO guys always talk alot about tactics & on the Friday fights I love Teddy Atlas's breakdowns of fighters strengths/weaknesses/tactics but he does talk alot of crap on top of that, but he comes out with some funny stuff.

I remember watching a Ross Minter fight Atas was commentating, couldn't get his name right for the life of him, MinTOR he kept calling him, found that very funny for some reason

I find the American ones will start all having a convo about something completely different which the fight is happening, which is annoying, but apart from that they're much better

DynamiteChris

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:13 pm

DynamiteChris wrote:I always thought Ian Darke was the best commentator for football and boxing.
Haven't heard him on boxing for ages.

On Sky it's too biased & not enough talk about tactics etc which is what I find interesting on the American shows, the HBO guys always talk alot about tactics & on the Friday fights I love Teddy Atlas's breakdowns of fighters strengths/weaknesses/tactics but he does talk alot of crap on top of that, but he comes out with some funny stuff.

I remember watching a Ross Minter fight Atas was commentating, couldn't get his name right for the life of him, MinTOR he kept calling him, found that very funny for some reason

I find the American ones will start all having a convo about something completely different which the fight is happening, which is annoying, but apart from that they're much better
i did mean ian Darke sorry i think he was commentator for the froch kessler 2 bout but other then that cant think of too much else he has been involved in recently in boxing terms

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Ian Darke is doing football on BT sport now so would not hold your breath for him returning any time soon.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by DynamiteChris Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:27 pm

wheelchair1991 - didn't know what you meant mate but see it now, there's too many Adams about in boxing/commentating at the moment

Think he just does the footy now on that game of the day thing they do on Sky when you press the red button. Good commentator though

DynamiteChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DynamiteChris Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Ah BT sport is it? Fair enough, too many bloody channels about nowadays, all at a cost to the viewer

DynamiteChris

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:38 pm

DynamiteChris wrote:Ah BT sport is it? Fair enough, too many bloody channels about nowadays, all at a cost to the viewer
not strictly true....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Jim Watt is terrible.

Pretty much all commentators are cheerleaders and there is little to no analysis round by round (mainly due to Sky sticking as many adverts in between rounds - even in PPV!).

The whole Sky team are pretty much Matchroom sycophants (the same with BoxNation where Buncey at times forgets he's not a salesman).

If I had the option to pick HBO over Sky for commentary I would, but they can also be guilty of one sided opinions. I did used to turn the sound down and play Radio 5 Live if they were covering the fights, you miss some analysis, but over time you pick up on things yourself anyway.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:00 pm

School Project wrote:Jim Watt is terrible.

Pretty much all commentators are cheerleaders and there is little to no analysis round by round (mainly due to Sky sticking as many adverts in between rounds - even in PPV!).

This is a massive bug-bear of mine, one redeeming feature of Boxnation is that they don't do that!! REALLY pisses me off! mad 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Ryan and Clancy were the best commentators for me........Seem to call it as they saw it.....without getting emotionally involved.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Jim Watt knows a hell of a lot more then anyone here. He is a decent commentator imo...

..''he's HUUDDDTTT, HE'S HUUUDDDDT''

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:32 pm

Jim was alright when with the late great reg gutteridge, become a bit hard work of late. Agree on Ian darke, shame he's not doing boxing somewhere.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:51 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Jim Watt knows a hell of a lot more then anyone here. He is a decent commentator imo...

..''he's HUUDDDTTT, HE'S HUUUDDDDT''
No one disputes his boxing knowledge, he had a great career and I'm sure he would be great to have a conversation with regarding boxing... but his commentary and punditary is terrible, his heart rules his head and like Truss pointed out, make EVERY fight seem like a chore.

Rather than hear a balanced review of the action as it happens, all we hear is "this is terrible for [place British boxers name here]", instead of focusing on the positives of the other guy?!

It's a victims mentality that has been adopted in every sport UK media cover... instead of focusing on how great a foreign football team played against England (in any championship) you're told that England were "robbed, cheated!!".

Jim Watt (and a number of the Sky team) are guilty of this and it's difficult to listen to.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Watt seems to think that a Brit fighter is 'struggling' if he happens to ship any punches. The way he commentates you would constantly feel that the Brit was losing and then it goes to his scorecards and he has our guy 5 rounds up?

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:08 pm

You said that perfect Pekchenko!

The commentary for the Hatton fight was abysmal! Watt was close to tears, screaming "THEY WON'T LET RICKY FIGHT HIS FIGHT! THE REF IS SPOILING! THIS IS THE REFS FAULT!!!".

Watching the fight live, you naturally agree with this... you're told that's whats happening when you see Ricky Hatton is being pulled away, yet when you actually WATCH the fight... Cortez was forcing the action to continue when either Hatton didn't land and started holding, or when Mayweather started to hold. A fact that Cortez broke them up when Mayweather held completely overlooked.

But you know, in no way is Jim being biased to Ricky... he's a VICTIM! EVERYONE ELSE IS BIASED AGAINST HIM!!

The closesT I can compare Jim Watt too is like watching a movie you're really looking forward to with someone and them telling you it's rubbish the moment it starts and reminding you they don't like the movie throughout... I'm sure you've all had it and I'm sure it's ruined the experience of the film.

That's how Jim Watt makes me feel when I hear him commentating.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:08 pm

School Project wrote:You said that perfect Pekchenko!

The commentary for the Hatton fight was abysmal! Watt was close to tears, screaming "THEY WON'T LET RICKY FIGHT HIS FIGHT! THE REF IS SPOILING! THIS IS THE REFS FAULT!!!".

Watching the fight live, you naturally agree with this... you're told that's whats happening when you see Ricky Hatton is being pulled away, yet when you actually WATCH the fight... Cortez was forcing the action to continue when either Hatton didn't land and started holding, or when Mayweather started to hold. A fact that Cortez broke them up when Mayweather held completely overlooked.

But you know, in no way is Jim being biased to Ricky... he's a VICTIM! EVERYONE ELSE IS BIASED AGAINST HIM!!

The closesT I can compare Jim Watt too is like watching a movie you're really looking forward to with someone and them telling you it's rubbish the moment it starts and reminding you they don't like the movie throughout... I'm sure you've all had it and I'm sure it's ruined the experience of the film.

That's how Jim Watt makes me feel when I hear him commentating.
That would hold water, if that same referee had done the same job when reffing the JC vs Hopkins fight. As it turns out he did the exact opposite and let Hopkins get away with all the holding under the sun. The bottom line is he let both Mayweather and Hopkins fight their fight and didn't give JC or Hatton a chance to fight theirs.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down