The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best bits of equipment you've ever had?

+13
Lairdy
raycastleunited
SmithersJones
navyblueshorts
sharrison01
Maverick
Davie
Adam D
McLaren
Doc
plugster
LondonJonnyO
drive4show
17 posters

Go down

Best bits of equipment you've ever had? Empty Best bits of equipment you've ever had?

Post by drive4show Thu 12 May 2011, 12:46 pm

We all get tempted to trade in our gear and buy the latest, shiniest new bits of kit and as such, we stop using equipment that has served us well.

Just wondered which items fall into this category for you guys?

I got rid of my R7 driver (but only because it was illegal) which is probably the best driver I've ever owned relative to the time period. It was better back then than my current R9 is now. I also got rid of a Callaway GBB titanium 4 wood, what a club that was!

And also an original Ping Hoofer stand bag, just purely because I'd had it so long I got bored looking at it but it's still the best stand bag I've ever owned.

Balls. No, not being rude but with the technology available in the early 90's, was the Titleist Professional a better ball back then than the Pro V1 is now? Personally, I think so. The Pro V1 has lots of competition but the Professional in my mind was streets ahead of anything else available at the time.

Last edited by drive4show on Thu 12 May 2011, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Best bits of equipment you've ever had? Empty Re: Best bits of equipment you've ever had?

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 12 May 2011, 12:54 pm

my penfold hearts
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Best bits of equipment you've ever had? Empty Re: Best bits of equipment you've ever had?

Post by plugster Thu 12 May 2011, 12:56 pm

If your putter ain't the best equipment you've ever had then your in trouble.

Taylor Made Daytona, 35" long, black shaft, white leather Grip Master grip.

Awesome!!!!

plugster

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 12 May 2011, 1:21 pm

For me it has to be my Revolution electric trolley. Always carried and saw no reason to stop, until joining my away course. kerry packered by the time I'd climbed up to the first tee and too tired to thump one properly. gasping by the 1st green. So I did some research and opted for this, and to be fair I could jog around this course now, a massive difference. I suspect theres a few guys on here who are at present in the medical room, who should get some electric wheels, especially now most of you are aging fast. censored

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 12 May 2011, 1:33 pm

Chaps, apologies I don't think I've made my question clear.

I'm talking about old bits of kit that you have got rid of then wished you hadn't because the shiny new replacement turned out not to be an improvement after all.

But feel free to include the best bit of kit you've ever purchased too Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 May 2011, 1:36 pm

Taylor made r540. Replaced it with the 2008 tour burner ( http://www.jamgolf.com/uk/product/Taylor-Made-Tour-Burner-Driver/?id=16730 ) and regretted it within weeks. The old one was passed on so had to stick with the tour burner.

There was a serious problem with the feel and feedback I got from the club. It just felt dead at impact no matter what sort of shot you hit.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 12 May 2011, 2:28 pm

My Billy Baroo. Never should have let that out of my hands.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 12 May 2011, 2:31 pm

My local greenskeeper would most probably say the hook that I hung up my golfing shoes on a few years ago.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 12 May 2011, 2:33 pm

drive4show wrote:Chaps, apologies I don't think I've made my question clear.

I'm talking about old bits of kit that you have got rid of then wished you hadn't because the shiny new replacement turned out not to be an improvement after all.

That'll be wife number 2 then Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 12 May 2011, 2:43 pm

Doc wrote:
drive4show wrote:Chaps, apologies I don't think I've made my question clear.

That'll be wife number 2 then Very Happy

So you purchased her?

Can we have the website link you used for reference? Whistle
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 12 May 2011, 4:10 pm

The amount of cash she goes through, puts her in the same league as Mrs Mav, without the constant 'bump' Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 12 May 2011, 4:14 pm

Doc wrote:The amount of cash she goes through, puts her in the same league as Mrs Mav, without the constant 'bump' Very Happy

The answer. No credit cards plus separate accounts.

Yahoo

randy 🐑
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 12 May 2011, 4:40 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
Doc wrote:The amount of cash she goes through, puts her in the same league as Mrs Mav, without the constant 'bump' Very Happy

The answer. No credit cards plus separate accounts.

Yahoo

randy 🐑

Where the f@&* did you get that sheep?!?!?!?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 12 May 2011, 4:42 pm

Dewi loaned it to me.

He's a welshman don't you know.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 12 May 2011, 4:43 pm

Best balls I ever hit were when I accidentally trod on a rake in a bunker Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 13 May 2011, 8:30 am

Best driver I ever owned a Cleveland launcher 460. Used to go miles and straight had to upgrade to a Burner superfast as I cracked the face on the launcher from excessive use. Now playing a Nile Machspeend black which is a close second to the launcher

Best irons: my current Cobra PRO MB's cannot fault them and cannot say I've had a better iron.

Wedges: My clevelands that were stolen from me last year I'd had them in the bag for 10+ years before some scum took them!

Best putter well my Ping Zing 2 had made its way back into my bag this tear and had that for around 15years, but not sure whether that or my Cali Del Mar that was robbed with my clevelands was my best one

As for balls! The professional in my eyes was far superior to the pro v1. At the time it really was the complete ball. The pro v1 has way to high a spin rate for me, keeping one from spinning too far off greens made me switch to the Zstar and I love that.

As for wives yes mine thinks my money grows on trees and occaisionally she treats me too using my cards! But then I spend a fortune on golf so I guess it balances out as for the baby bumps guys this is the last one may have to retire the swimmers but not going to stop putting in the hours of practice!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 13 May 2011, 9:14 am

The Titleist Professional was a fantastic ball but as far as wishing for a ball that I could still use, it has to be the Tour Balata for me. It was ridiculously soft and I can remember hitting a 70yd bunker shot over a green into the fringe and spinning it back to the front of the green. They loved spinning so much they always had a smile...

As for clubs, my favourites were a pair of Cleveland BeNi wedges that were irreplaceable once I'd worn the grooves out. They were around twice the price of your average 588 Clevelands but were so easy to control distance with and just sat so perfectly behind the ball.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 13 May 2011, 10:00 am

Davie wrote:Best balls I ever hit were when I accidentally trod on a rake in a bunker Wink

Ah, the old ones are the good ones!

An old Ping Karsten III 1-iron. Used to hit it long and straight but sold it to fund the purchase of something useless as I recall. Bought one via eBay a while back and couldn't hit it anything like I remembered so re-sold it; must be telling me something about the current version of my swing I think....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 13 May 2011, 10:45 am

Interesting, following the comments about the ProV and the Professional - Luuuke apparently still uses the Pro V from 2005.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 13 May 2011, 10:57 am

My TM driver R320ti... sadly illegal now. it just went for miles and miles and i could comfortably shape it both ways. gave it to a mate who only plays casual golf, he loves it too.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 13 May 2011, 11:20 am

An old brass putter. Not quite like a bullseye, more like a blade. I think it could have Arnold Palmer written on it. Stole it from my dad when I started playing golf again a few years ago then my mates all convinced me that I needed a modern putter with an insert in it. Should have never have given him back that putter. Putted fine with it and went through hell with a Ping with insert afterwards. Now use a putter with no insert on it.

Probably could get it back of him quite easily as he uses something else now....

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by ronin47 Fri 13 May 2011, 12:17 pm

Had a BB 7 wood, which I loved. I could put the ball just about anywhere I wanted it with that thing - but I stopped playing for a couple of years and it got to be 'unfashionable'

So I sold it and got some hybrids - what a moron!!

ronin47
ronin47
ronin47

http://www.waterproofgolfjackets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Fri 13 May 2011, 12:22 pm

Maverick
I'm still using a Cleveland Launcher 460. Interested?

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 13 May 2011, 12:33 pm

Eyetoldyouso wrote:Maverick
I'm still using a Cleveland Launcher 460. Interested?

Not unless its got the xstiff shaft! And even then I'm not sure it would behave like the old one each club is different and all that plus my Nike behaves amazingly and I can't play now for few months unfortunately due to injury

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Fri 13 May 2011, 12:38 pm

It's got the bog standard 55g shaft so wouldn't be any good for a player of your abilities. The only thing custom fitted is an undersize grip. Hope the injury clears up soon.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri 13 May 2011, 6:15 pm

Lairdy wrote:An old brass putter. Not quite like a bullseye, more like a blade. I think it could have Arnold Palmer written on it. Stole it from my dad when I started playing golf again a few years ago then my mates all convinced me that I needed a modern putter with an insert in it. Should have never have given him back that putter. Putted fine with it and went through hell with a Ping with insert afterwards. Now use a putter with no insert on it.

Probably could get it back of him quite easily as he uses something else now....

Lairdy - if you could use that putter left and right handed, it was probably a Golden Goose. Whistle

I do not mourn the loss of any pieces of equipment. If it worked I probably still have it somewhere and if it didn't, it's holding up the plants.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri 13 May 2011, 6:16 pm

Ah - I've just seen it was a blade - that's gebuggered that theory. Shocked
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 14 May 2011, 9:28 pm

Traded in a Hogan 3 and 4 wood for some Adams metal rubbish. The wee 4 wood was a magic club.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down