The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Equipment [add on]

5 posters

Go down

Old Equipment [add on] Empty Old Equipment [add on]

Post by Doon the Water Mon 30 May 2011, 11:11 am

On a scale of 1 to 10 just how gullible are golfers about buying new equipment.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Old Equipment [add on] Empty Re: Old Equipment [add on]

Post by George1507 Mon 30 May 2011, 12:11 pm

Age 15-25, 10 (where 10 is most gullible)
Age 26-40, 7
Age 41-60, 5
Age 61-70, 3
Age 71+, 1

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 30 May 2011, 12:28 pm

I think all age groups are extremely gullible. How often do you see the club choppers buying the latest driver (currently the R11) in the false belief/hope that it will add 20 yards to their drives. 99% of the time it is the "emporers new clothes" syndrome and companies like Taylor Made must be laughing all the way to the bank because people are so easily hoodwinked.

The better you become at the game however the less gullible you become and more interested you become in what works for you and not what the advertising exec's tell you is best for you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon 30 May 2011, 12:45 pm

SR:
It also seems somewhat ironic to me that some golfers are prepared to spend seemingly vast amounts (£250 - 300.00 seems to be the norm these days for the latest model driver), when in reality this will encourage them to whale away on even more holes (almost to justify the expense) when realistically they would be better served using the driver less often and 3-wood or hybrid clubs more often to keep it on the short stuff. I would have thought if money was going to be invested anywhere, it should really be at the scoring end of the bag; i.e. a decent set of wedges and a putter which suits the putting stroke of said individual - ohh and of course practice and taking lessons always helps of course.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 30 May 2011, 12:53 pm

Precisely Shanks, As an advocate of course management I use my driver sparingly as it's more important to me to be in the best position for the next shot. It's just as damaging to be too close as too far away for most people.

Most golfers can't see past the driver though. You'll see them at the range raking hundreds of drivers, but you'll never see them practicing the shots that really matter.
Also so many people have completely inappropriate putters, ironic as it's the club that people use most frequently but they wouldn't dream of spending £200 on one if it was more suited to them or even £60 on a retro fit/shaft weighting fitting even though it could be the best investment they ever make.

Golf must be a manufacturers and advertisers dream as in no other sport are fools and their money so easily parted.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Mon 30 May 2011, 1:25 pm

i picked up the "old" titleist 906F and 585H the other year at halfprice, as the 909s had just come out. i tried several makes and models and the "older" clubs just felt great and saved me a packet. and guess what? they still do the job (when i'm feeling consistent but that's another matter).

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 30 May 2011, 1:27 pm

Are they conforming though Graeme?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 30 May 2011, 5:34 pm

By George, I think he has it.

Mind you there are a few old fools around as well.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon 30 May 2011, 11:58 pm

SR: I think there are a lot of bargains to be had, particularly with Drivers and Fairways, just by being patient and buying a model which is a year to 18 months old. The tweaks are being made at such a rapid pace these days that a shelf-life for a new club is about 6 - 9 months tops.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 31 May 2011, 8:06 am

Agreed shanking. I think technology has reached a zenith and there is no discernable distance or forgiveness to be eeked out of new clubs.

I'm pretty certain that for the majority of golfers new models are just a cosmetic update from the prior year.

I got a new set of beautiful blades last year but apart from that my driver and rescues are between 3 and 5 years old and work easily as well as those with more "modern" equipment. It's more about the shaft for me anyway, as long as I have what works for me and as long as the loft is right I don't think it matters too much what clubhead is on the end. Obviously not a 10 year old head or persimmon.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down