The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Floyd try to bag Martinez next ????????

+16
TopHat24/7
Lumbering_Jack
Scottrff
Steffan
rIck_dAgless
OasisBFC
mobilemaster8
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
hogey
seanmichaels
Lance
88Chris05
The Terror of Tylorstown
milkyboy
Soldier_Of_Fortune
TRUSSMAN66
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should Floyd try to bag Martinez next ???????? Empty Should Floyd try to bag Martinez next ????????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:25 pm

Should he beat Canelo...........Surely the smart move is to move in on the seriously declining but still hugely respected Martinez....Who one has to genuinely put on any top list......despite recent events..

Martinez is only two inches taller than Floyd so logistically it is a boxing match rather than a huge middle mauling him.......

Martinez is in decline and would almost certainly take a hugely profitable fight at an agreed weight. (157)........No doubts about that......

Be a huge win and even more legacy cementing..........

Surely Martinez in his current condition is the smart move ??.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Should Floyd try to bag Martinez next ???????? Empty Re: Should Floyd try to bag Martinez next ????????

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:30 pm

Good shout Truss, lets hope Martinez takes a little time out so he is 100%. And doesnt have any fights in the mean time. I wouldnt say this is a gimme either.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Should Floyd try to bag Martinez next ???????? Empty Re: Should Floyd try to bag Martinez next ????????

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:34 pm

Timing is everything, so wouldn't surprise me. Leave's him open to the cherry picking/timing argument again, though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm

Think I'd pick Martinez to win.........But it's a helluva scalp and a can do..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Should he beat Canelo...........Surely the smart move is to move in on the seriously declining but still hugely respected Martinez....Who one has to genuinely put on any top list......despite recent events..

Martinez is only two inches taller than Floyd so logistically it is a boxing match rather than a huge middle mauling him.......

Martinez is in decline and would almost certainly take a hugely profitable fight at an agreed weight. (157)........No doubts about that......

Be a huge win and even more legacy cementing..........

Surely Martinez in his current condition is the smart move ??.......
Hmmm...not sure how it can be a huge win if, as you stated in the first line, that Martinez is "seriously declining". Yes it's a win but surely any gloss is taken of it with the decline factor thrown in.

Imagine Alvarez wins at the weekend, there'll be any number of people wanting to play it down citing Floyd's age and "longevity" as the reasons why he succumbed.

Can't see Mayweather moving up to MW and again I'm sure there'll be arguments about catchweight. If they fight between LM and MW people will then ask why Alvarez was made to fight at at catchweight as it seems evident Floyd can do LM with relative ease.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:37 pm

A good fight if at the middleweight limit but a joke if at a catchweight.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:37 pm

Of course it's a huge win..........Martinez is a top p4per.............and a big name who has been unbeaten a long time.

But thanks for the opinion..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:40 pm

Who cares if he's still P4P it means **** all when he's so far past his best that Murray should have got the decision, in 20/30 years time nobody is going to care about who was p4p ranked at the time.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:44 pm

I didn't have Murray winning......It was contentious Mate...

I had Witherspoon beating Holmes...........Does that demean Spinks victory ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:44 pm

Can't see it happening myself, and even if it did, I think Mayweather would want to be one hundred percent sure that Martinez is over the hill, because as it stands it's only the Murray fight which suggests so; the Chavez fight, those final couple of minutes aside, was an exemplary performance.

If Martinez has another poor showing next time out but managed to hold on to his belt again, then maybe Floyd (assuming he beats Canelo) might start thinking about it. But even then, it's a bit fanciful, for me.

I just don't think Floyd particularly enjoys anything higher than 147. Wins against Oscar and Cotto at Light-Middle, yes, but definitely not at his best in either of them and the fact that he's asked for Alvarez to cut down to 152 shows that he knows he's tottering very, very close to the edge in terms of how big a man he can face while still being effective. Martinez, even if he is on the slide, is just too much of a risk for Floyd and a bridge too far, I reckon.

Can't see it happening and nor would I criticise either man if it doesn't, either.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:45 pm

did Martinez fights in new yourk sell out? or did they attract a huge tv audience? im not sure to be honest, but this is what flloyd will be looking at when it comes to fighting Martinez or not.

the fact that flloyd signed a 6 fight deal meant he had to be willing to cast the net further for his opponents, and not just the box office fighters like marquez, hatton, cotto and mosley he had been lining up beforehand. this was proven when he fought guerrero. Its gonna be interesting to see how he picks his opponents now hes fighting more regularly, and I don't think Martinez is too unlikely. hes gotta get there quick though I expect. Martinez could be beaten by someboy else very soon

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:47 pm

Floyd fighting a hugely respected p4per for the middleweight belt and I think a 6th title at a different weight..

Would sell itself Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:47 pm

Would prefer a pacquiao fight still

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:49 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Would prefer a pacquiao fight still
No it's pointless now..........like a good wine that's corked..........Manny has been found out...nothing in it for Floyd

Besides that wally probably still thinks he's worth 50/50...........

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Floyd fighting a hugely respected p4per for the middleweight belt and I think a 6th title at a different weight..

Would sell itself Mate..
Only if it was at 160lbs.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Of course it's a huge win..........Martinez is a top p4per.............and a big name who has been unbeaten a long time.

I'm only playing Devil's Advocate. He's a top p4p-er but he's seriously declining? How does Floyd get universal credit for that? Don't get me wrong I don't think it would be impressive but there are bound to be those who will use any number of reasons to discredit the win.

If Macklin, Murray or Barker had beaten Martinez, we'll be hailing it as impressive because they're several rungs below Floyd on the ladder. However a fighter with Floyd's ability is always going to get flak for taking on a guy who isn't at his absolute best and as you state, martinez falls into that catagory

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:52 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Floyd fighting a hugely respected p4per for the middleweight belt and I think a 6th title at a different weight..

Would sell itself Mate..
What nonsense...You might care.....But 152/Canelo hasn't affected sales..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:57 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Of course it's a huge win..........Martinez is a top p4per.............and a big name who has been unbeaten a long time.

I'm only playing Devil's Advocate. He's a top p4p-er but he's seriously declining? How does Floyd get universal credit for that? Don't get me wrong I don't think it would be impressive but there are bound to be those who will use any number of reasons to discredit the win.

If Macklin, Murray or Barker had beaten Martinez, we'll be hailing it as impressive because they're several rungs below Floyd on the ladder. However a fighter with Floyd's ability is always going to get flak for taking on a guy who isn't at his absolute best and as you state, martinez falls into that catagory

Might be declining but nobody has beaten him yet...........

Hagler was declining but Leonard got a huge win.......who knows how it would be received..so you may be right..

It's Floyd so a lot of people will look to mark it down..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:

Would sell itself Mate..
What nonsense...You might care.....But 152/Canelo hasn't affected sales..
Maybe not but there's still this whiff about it being at a catchweight. Mayweather will most likely win but these catchweight contests always leave him open to abuse.

If he fights Martinez at the MW limit with no stips I'd have more respect for him. I know you'll probably ask "Why should he, he's the big draw" but Mayweather's the one wanting to build this lasting legacy and winning a genuine MW title would for me at least be an impressive feat rather than draining yet another fighter and seeking yet another advantage.

Let's not forget Floyd is the one who claims he's better than SRR, so why the need to stack the deck in his favour?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Might be declining but nobody has beaten him yet........... Right or wrong he did lose to Williams

Hagler was declining but Leonard got a huge win.......who knows how it would be received..so you may be right..

Only because he's got the ability to fight these guys without needing so many other advantages above any beyond any natural boxing attributes

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:00 pm

If he is gonna do it now's the time, a fading Martinez could be ripe for picking for a maximum kudos but much less risky than it used to be fight.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:07 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Might be declining but nobody has beaten him yet........... Right or wrong he did lose to Williams

Only because he's got the ability to fight these guys without needing so many other advantages above any beyond any natural boxing attributes
Hagler drew with Vito..............He avenged Williams with interest as did Hagler-Vito...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:08 pm

Like it or lump it, Martinez is still the number 1 at Middleweight, THE champion.

The knee injury has hampered him and made him look poor against Murray. But even with the knee injury, he still won that fight. It was close but Martinez still done more.

If Floyd were to fight him, it MUST be at middleweight as 2 catchweights on the spin will dampen things for him. Its bad enough he is making the LMW cut extra weight to fight fight, but if he were to make the MW champ do the same straight after then the win would be forever criticised.

We only have another handful of times to watch Mayweather fight so I think it would be a shame to have them ruined by extra disadvantages on his opponents.

A title at the full middleweight limit would be fantastic to see. And I dont think it would be a gimme either. Martinez's style against Floyds would be great to see against one another. Has Floyd ever faced a style like this before?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:11 pm

To be fair Truss, i don't think a Martinez fight will do any justice for his legacy, in my opinion.

Having looked fairly poor against Barker, Maklin and Murray especially, Floyd will simply be criticized about facing him now as opposed to a few years back when he was producing one punch knockouts and simply dominating everyone he faced.

The gloss has gone from Martinez, as it has with Pacquiao.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:11 pm

Good points.......but you not think those that criticise him will always do so...........and those that don't will continue not to..

Floyd is marmite.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:13 pm

Spin it however you want but

Martinez 157 trumps victories over...........

Khan - Been found out
Broner - Still green
Manny - lost his last two fights.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:17 pm

I just hate catchweight fights regardless of it being Pacquiao or Mayweather, if you want to take a mans title then be a man and fight at the limit otherwise the win loses a bit of credibility. The problem with facing Martinez is that he's declining and is no longer considered to be the best middleweight, going for a declining fighter then ignoring Golovkin as he would just looks like selective match making.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:23 pm

His next fight will probably be against the Garcia vs Matthysse winner should either of them win in exciting fashion.

Khan will get his rear end handed to him by Devon I reckon and he will then go down the Henry Cooper route by making excuses well into his twilight years that Floyd Mayweather ducked him.

Broner is his brother (apparently) so can't see it happening.

I actually reckon that Marquez will probably wind up getting a rematch if he beats Bradley.

Can just see it now, they will use the reasons as Marquez is now more comfortable at 147 and has the new body of a 17 year old.

They could sell it by saying he wasn't prepared the first time, plus scalps over Manny and Tim would surely get any other fighter a crack at Floyd.

Wouldn't buy this myself, but it could be a possibility
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:30 pm

JMM has knocked out manny and If he beats Bradley deserves a top 5 p4p spot..

So what's wrong with Mayweather fighting him..

Or do you want him to fight the Darren Barkers of this World like Daniel geale !!!!!

Some people are never happy...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:33 pm

it's 2 or 3 years too late for this one. At the time it was a great fight and sergio claimed he could make 152. he's running out of options though. Floyd going up to middle weight is a big ask, he makes 147 with ease.

if Matthysse does the business against Garcia, i'd love to see that. Has Mayweather ever faced a monster puncher?

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:39 pm

You guy don't want to see Floyd fight you want to see him lose..........

Hagler fought one live wire in 7 years when he could have fought Spinks and no one complained.....

But Floyd gets hammered for fighting Guerrero.......Jmm, Canelo, Cotto.........

Other champs defend against dross..............remember Calzaghe ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:40 pm

Could see Matthysse or Lara clamouring for a match assuming everyone wins

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:45 pm

Has to be said If Mayweather was Martinez...coming off Barker, Chavez jr, Macklin and Murray.......

He'd be a no ball coward who was ducking Ward !!!

Other fighters can defend their titles against any old joke..(Geale-Barker...GGG v Macklin)......but Floyd has to fight someone decent everytime!!

Why because people want to see him lose......NOT FIGHT!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:48 pm

Getting a little hot-headed here arnt you Truss...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:50 pm

Not so sure about that TRUSS this is a different circumstance

if you have taken a large sum of cash to have a finite number of bouts, to top a stellar career, you would be rightly expecting, as a fan or promoter that only the best fights were taken.

i would have no issue with having lesser fights if such a definitive endgame was not mapped out

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:53 pm

rick_dagless wrote:Not so sure about that TRUSS this is a different circumstance

if you have taken a large sum of cash to have a finite number of bouts, to top a stellar career, you would be rightly expecting, as a fan or promoter that only the best fights were taken.

i would have no issue with having lesser fights if such a definitive endgame was not mapped out
It's hardly like this has just started for Mayweather...

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:54 pm

agreed scott but if we are talking about who is next then prior fights are moot are they not?

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:00 pm

I'm not going to lie, I want to see Floyd lose. It's unlikely to happen because he is very good and secondly he stacks the deck in his favour. Taking on Martinez now would be similar to the Manny vs Mosely situation. Deemed too dangerous, only to badly fade and them become a good opponent.

Those of us who don't fancy Floyd could see this fight for what it is.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:JMM has knocked out manny and If he beats Bradley deserves a top 5 p4p spot..

So what's wrong with Mayweather fighting him..

Or do you want him to fight the Darren Barkers of this World like Daniel geale !!!!!

Some people are never happy...
I'm not saying he wouldn't deserve a fight against Floyd if he beat Bradley. Just looking at it from Showtimes point of view. Would they be able to sell a fight against a 40 year old who lost every round to Floyd about 3 years ago?

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:11 pm

He'd win and it'd be another top level opponent where Floyd actually gets criticised for timing the fight conveniently for not fighting someone at their peak/best (e.g. Cotto @ 147).

2 years ago it really would've been an interesting fight but, ironically, Martinez said he'd come to 154 but Floyd would only do 147. Same old story....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:14 pm

Floyd wouldn't fight Martinez even if he was on crutches.

Floyd only takes zero risk fights.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:14 pm

Would sell itself Mate..
Wouldn't happen though. If he won't fight Canelo at 154 there's no way he steps up for a 'top guy' at 160.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:17 pm

Ahhh bless Truss is having another hissy fit.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:22 pm

Strongback wrote:Floyd wouldn't fight Martinez even if he was on crutches.

That's basically the height of this guy's contribution....

terror...It is true and you know it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:Floyd wouldn't fight Martinez even if he was on crutches.

That's basically the height of this guy's contribution....

Floyd will never fight Martinez. It will not happen.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm

You think what you want Truss but these constant hissy fits of yours just go to show how biased you are.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:31 pm

I heard Floyd wants Martinez tested every month to make sure he hasnt eaten any Argentinian beef in the build up to the fight if it happened

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:33 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:You think what you want Truss but these constant hissy fits of yours just go to show how biased you are.
putting the record straight I like to call it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:36 pm

Acting like a massive child the moment someone has a bit of constructive criticism of Mayweather is more like it, you whine and bitch at anyone who doesn't share your views on Mayweather. Yes the guy is a cretin of the highest order and i'm not surprised the majority want to see him lose, i'd quite like to see Alvarez leave him a bloody broken mess but it wont happen.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:38 pm

Deconstructing their arguments I like to call it...........which isn't hard in your case..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next