The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyds chin

+16
The Terror of Tylorstown
milkyboy
Mayweathers cellmate
Nico the gman
KingMonkey
BoxingFan88
Strongback
captain carrantuohil
88Chris05
Scottrff
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Lance
TRUSSMAN66
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Steffan
Seanusarrilius
20 posters

Go down

Floyds chin Empty Floyds chin

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:17 pm

If Canelo is going to beat Floyd, he has to hurt him and stop him. A points win isn't on the table with his workrate as Floyd is far too accurate. We all saw Shane rock floyd in their fight, can Canelo do the same and close?

No, not in my opinion.

Floyd showd his powers of recovery, his veteran mindset and ability to keep a cool head under worst pressure. He was winning the fight again by end of round 2.

Floyd has this, points.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Floyds chin Empty Re: Floyds chin

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:46 pm

Canelo will lose

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:57 pm

Canelo couldnt knock out Matthew Hatton.....
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:57 pm

Bet Frampton could..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:35 am

canelo has the power to knock flloyd out. problem is landing clean enough. its certainly his best hope though. never seen canelo work hard for 3 minutes a round for more than 6 rounds in a fight. its hard to see his workrate getting him a decision. flloyd will be wary of his power, and I don't see him sitting on the ropes for any period of time as he did against cotto.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri 13 Sep 2013, 9:50 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Canelo couldnt knock out Matthew Hatton.....
I've seen this mentioned a lot. To be fair, Hatton is a tough SOB. Only KO'd once. Going 12 rounds with Canelo is more representative of how tough Hatton is rather than how weak people think Canelo is.

The big question is has Floyd been in the ring with anyone as big and strong as Canelo? I'd say the answer is no.

His exploits up at light middle have been De La Hoya, who is taller than Floyd, but isn't particularly bulky. I doubt Oscar would weigh anywhere near what Canelo will weigh on fight night. Oscar had also worked his way up through the weights.

Cotto was nowhere near a true light middle and is actually an inch shorter than Floyd. Again, Cotto has came up through the weights.

I'd say Canelo is physically much stronger than Floyd, Cotto and De La Hoya. He's a proper light middle. So the big question is how will Floyd take the power of Canelo who will probably weigh in around the mid 160s on fight night. I watched the Canelo vs Lopez fight last night, and although Lopez is nowhere near the class of Floyd, the beating Alvarez put on him really demonstrated his speed, power & strength.

In reality I see a snooze fest of a fight with Floyd using all of his defensive genuis to make Canelo miss and countering him all night. However, I do reckon Canelo has the power to get him out of there and that's his only hope. Go to the body early, don't go head hunting. Pressure Floyd and push the pace and try and get him out early. That's his only hope as if it goes to the later rounds, Floyd won't gas. My head says Floyd but my heart says Canelo and I've stuck a tenner on Canelo via KO/TKO for some added excitement.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Fri 13 Sep 2013, 9:53 am

Floyd is a tough SOB with a good chin. Mayweather holds his own physically so I can't really see him getting bullied.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 10:11 am

Floyd's just a man at the end of the day and I've got no doubt that, if he took a series of big shots from Alvarez, he could potentially go. Alvarez isn't a genuine knockout artist but does have good accumulative power at 154. He didn't stop Matt Hatt, fair enough, but Trinidad couldn't put Jake Rodriguez away - the same Rodriguez who Pernell was able to bust up and stop inside six. I can appreciate why people are taking the Hatton result in to consideration so much, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

But that's the problem for Canelo - I've never seen Mayweather take more than one meaningful shot at a time. Corley, Mosley and Cotto all landed good, heavy shots on him, but never in combinations, or even twos. Corley and Mosley are the only two I can remember really hurting him, and both times as soon as they landed bang on his chin he was able to immediately cover up and protect his chin on the ropes (Corley) or know enough to buy himself a breather and tie his man up inside as his head cleared (Mosley).

He also recovered pretty quickly in both instances.

Just can't see Alvarez getting Floyd out of there. Mayweather too wily and tough, even if he is a slightly less mobile target these days. If he's going to win I think he needs to go the long way round and win a decision by pressuring Mayweather for three minutes of every round, pushing him to the ropes where Floyd often likes to go and hoping that his more scrappy, aggressive work simply muffles the classier, more accurate stuff of Floyd. If he can match that with a good jab, he has a shot.

Castillo (I) and Oscar, for about eight rounds, had the right idea. If Alvarez can improve upon what they did and sustain if for twelve, then he has a shot, but ultimately I just think Mayweather is too elusive and smart for him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Fri 13 Sep 2013, 10:25 am

Honestly, I didn't think Oscar had the blueprint at all. He got him to the ropes and just threw predictable volume, perfect for how Floyd defends. He just opens his right hand to parry/block left hooks and uses shoulder/movement for right hooks, while being in a position to counter. You've got to be smarter/more varied.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 13 Sep 2013, 10:35 am

Can see Floyd's straighter punches having their effect as the fight wears on. Canelo will try to establish his jab from the front foot and, I imagine, will be looking to hook off it, which is something for which he is known and widely praised. The problem is that Mayweather's straight right is a thing of beauty; he times it so well and it's not difficult to believe that Alvarez will have to eat a good number of that type of punch. Being aggressive is the only possible strategy for Canelo, but I don't see how it's going to stop Floyd from racking up the points.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:41 am

Looking at Canelo's last couple of fights he has chosen to go for quality over quantity of punches, some of this probably relates to his slightly questionable stamina. Add to that Canelo's modest punching power then I can't see how he threatens Mayweathers chin. Floyd could be nothing other that the red hot favourite to win.

Both chins survive the distance with Mayweather winning by at least 4 rounds.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:08 pm

Screw Floyd's chin, try hitting the body. Much larger target, make him drop his hands to expose the chin. Alvarez needs to try and force Mayweather back to the ropes or get him in the corner and if he tries to slide out to the side, grapple with him and physically keep him there. Hit the arms, the ribs, the stomach, the shoulders the elbows....whatever it takes to get that guard down. Problem is that Mayweather is also stronger than people give him credit for so it's going to be a difficult.

I talked about Canelo not putting away Matt Hatton but I was taking more about his inability to string together enough meaningful shots to force the ref to step in rather than talking about one punch KO power. Yes, Hatton's tough but the very best fighters should be able to step it up against guys of Hatton's calibre and force the issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:09 pm

Floyd proved that when he got clipped he knew how to handle it. He got caught as flush as you like by Mosley and managed to grab Mosley's hand before he retracted it fully, so he couldn't hit him again.

The difference in this fight for me is the speed of Mayweather and the lack of workrate of Canelo. I give him a punchers chance and that's it. I don't think Canelo is a monster one punch knockout artist either.

I think Mayweathers speed is going to totally shock him.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:11 pm

Scottrff wrote:Honestly, I didn't think Oscar had the blueprint at all. He got him to the ropes and just threw predictable volume, perfect for how Floyd defends. He just opens his right hand to parry/block left hooks and uses shoulder/movement for right hooks, while being in a position to counter. You've got to be smarter/more varied.
I thought Mayweather won that fight clearly, Oscar threw a lot, but didn't land much. I don't know how reliable the punch stats are, but they were totally one sided for Mayweather, he landed nearly 60% of his thrown shots, unbelievable accuracy

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:44 pm

This is all about distance. If canelo can force Floyd back to the ropes but maintain a decent distance so that Floyd struggles to counter or slip away a la Guerrero then it'll be interesting.

Footwork is obviously key and nobody has better feet than Floyd. Canelo's needs to have improved drastically.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:56 pm

Canelo's got to force Mayweather back and stay as close as possible,he sits back and tries to out box Mayweather its a lop sided points loss.

Thought Dave667 came up with a great point, attack the body, Mayweather might be surprised by this tactic.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:11 pm

Nico the gman wrote:Canelo's got to force Mayweather back and stay as close as possible,he sits back and tries to out box Mayweather its a lop sided points loss.

Thought Dave667 came up with a great point, attack the body, Mayweather might be surprised by this tactic.
CAREFUL, people will think you're my alias.

Castillo got in close, made Floyd work and arguably won their first fight. Hatton tried it and failed miserably. OK having the tactics but without the right person to execute it, your plan may as well be toilet paper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:02 pm

Scottrff wrote:Honestly, I didn't think Oscar had the blueprint at all. He got him to the ropes and just threw predictable volume, perfect for how Floyd defends. He just opens his right hand to parry/block left hooks and uses shoulder/movement for right hooks, while being in a position to counter. You've got to be smarter/more varied.
...........but an old ODLH did come close to beating a prime Mayweather and he didn't even fight that well. The 'blueprint' Oscar talks about is using lots of feints and jabs to back Mayweather up to the ropes and then throw flurries of arm punches to rack up the points, and most importantly to never load up on shots.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:14 pm

Had Oscar 4-2 up after 6. Mayweather took over when De Le Hoya tired. I had Floyd winning 5 of the final 6 rounds.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:56 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
I thought Mayweather won that fight clearly, Oscar threw a lot, but didn't land much. I don't know how reliable the punch stats are, but they were totally one sided for Mayweather, he landed nearly 60% of his thrown shots, unbelievable accuracy
I thought Oscar did have the blueprint. Agree that 115-113 was giving Oscar all the tight rounds but the fight was in the balance til the championship rounds. Oscar didnt land much but neither did floyd. To he fair it's hard to land when you don't throw. The double jab, backing him up, may not have caused floyd too much stress but it put him out of his comfort zone to limit his own work. Oscar was winning rounds by coming forward, when neither of them were connecting. It was only when Oscar gassed and stopped jabbing that floyd picked him off.

Haven't watched it since it happened as it was pretty dull, but that's my memory of it. Oscars plan was good but engine wasn't, was my take on it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm

I had it 118-110 Mayweather, could give De La Hoya 3 rounds at the absolute max he wasn't landing anything at all, he was being outworked but he usually does, he was landing all the shots throughout the fight.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:32 pm

I thought there were plenty of rounds where nothing meaningful was landed by either fighter... most give such rounds to the aggressor which is why most cards were closer than yours terror.

Some see it as a masterclass, but one of Floyd's least convincing performances for me.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:47 pm

At the half way stage i thought ODH was winning, but from round 7 onwards his intensity dropped and then Floyd edged the rest of the fight. It was a stinker though and most rounds were so close and dull that even a couple of clean shots from ODH may well have nicked him Floyd rounds. If Canelo can do the same thing to Floyd, but sustain it for a few more rounds his size and strength might start to make Floyd wilt. I have a feeling he will try and walk straight through Floyd shots and bully him from the first bell and although he is a tough bloke he might get a shock at the power and strength of a real Light middle.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:56 pm

Floyd within the distance for me. He may not have one punch power (especially at the weight) but speed kills and he will catch Canelo at will with accurate punches. 13/2 is great odds for me for Floyd to win within 12.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:01 pm

Floyd doesn't often knock people out these days and against a big guy who seems like he can take a punch (been in with some decent punchers - Cintron, Cotto, Mosley and I can't remember him being in trouble) I don't think the bookies will feel too much pain there.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm

Cottos brother cotto? He is garbage.

Cintron was a decade past his best as was Mosley.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:12 pm

Good point, doh! Even watched that. Punch is the last to leave though.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:13 pm

Edit: not so much Mosley. I meant after he was beaten by mayweather and Pacquiao let alone a draw against Mora.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:13 pm

Yeh true Scott.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:14 pm

Seem to be a few fancy Floyd inside the distance. I don't own a hat, but I would offer to eat it if I did, were that th o happen. Seriously, anything's possible but if he's racking up the the rounds I can't see him trying to stop him. Obtusely, only if he was losing could I see him opening up enough to maybe force a stoppage.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:17 pm

Do you think if mayweather took risks that he would have a higher KO percentage?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:19 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Do you think if mayweather took risks that he would have a higher KO percentage?
Possibly, if he fought like he used to, was a beast of an aggressive boxer. But his current style is better for longevity/an advancing age.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:19 pm

There's a big difference between being garbage and not world class, Jose Cotto is a decent fighter with a good punch he's not garbage in the slightest.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:22 pm

Come on terror pull the other one. The guy fought Matthew Hatton for a world title and he is domestic/euro level. How does that happen, especially at a weight he has never fought at?!

Cotto isn't even a gatekeeper pal.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:26 pm

I think somebody who has had two world title shots is a little bit better than you're suggesting, ever seen him fight or are you going over and beyond to prove a point yet again?

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:28 pm

This is a huge fight and I think if he gets the chance Floyd will close the show. I think he may get the chance as I see him landing on Canelo as much as he wants to. He may not have stopped many in recent years but who backed him to stop Hatton?

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:28 pm

Scottrff wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:Do you think if mayweather took risks that he would have a higher KO percentage?
Possibly, if he fought like he used to, was a beast of an aggressive boxer. But his current style is better for longevity/an advancing age.
As scott says, almost certainly... but he might gave walked into one and lost his 0, or knackered his hands completely. He's so confident in his own ability to stay out of trouble and pick up the rounds regardless he plays safe.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:29 pm

Matthew Hatton has fought for two world titles, would you say he is a gatekeeper or world level??

Even Lee Purdy has had a title shot so that point is ridiculous. Everyone gets titles shots these days just because their a name or an easy option for a vacant title.

Hatton or cotto were probably justified because they are an okay fighter but yet have very famous and great boxing brothers and have that promotable name.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:32 pm

I was more pointing out that calling him garbage is needless hyperbole, Hatton and Cotto aren't world beaters but at the same time they're not useless.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:42 pm

GW40 wrote:This is a huge fight and I think if he gets the chance Floyd will close the show. I think he may get the chance as I see him landing on Canelo as much as he wants to. He may not have stopped many in recent years but who backed him to stop Hatton?
Big big fan of Ricky Hatton,but Ricky was a small welterweight, Canelo is a big light middle,phlsically the biggest man Mayweathers faced, but if you fancy a bet on the stoppage fair dues.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 14 Sep 2013, 8:29 pm

The punch that Canelo landed on Trout (Who also has a rock solid chin) could potentially take Floyd out.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down