The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What was the best face turn in WWE history?

+6
legendkillar
Kay Fabe
A Fine Folk.
sodhat
theundisputedY2D2
Mr H
10 posters

Go down

What was the best face turn in WWE history? Empty What was the best face turn in WWE history?

Post by Mr H Fri 13 May 2011, 9:46 am

Ok so following on from Bradys topic about the greatest heel turn, i want to know what you think the greatest face turn is? I've put together a few of my favourites to get started....

Austin after Mania 13. Ok so it wasnt directly a face turn but it certainly was the first step in turning the fans in his favour.

Hogan after Mania X8 and ditching the NWO. The crowd went nuts for this, as much as i hate to admit it i marked for this.

One of my personal favourites would be Randy Savage after losing to Warrior at Mania 7. It was a genuine show of affection from the audience and Savage looked legitimately moved by it.

Over to you....

Mr H

Back to top Go down

What was the best face turn in WWE history? Empty Re: What was the best face turn in WWE history?

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 13 May 2011, 10:00 am

It was only a short term face turn, but I loved it when Kane came to help the Undertaker on RAW in late 97. Taker had saved Kane a while earlier by helping beat up a bunch of vigilantes who were out to get Kane, and then a few weeks later when Taker was getting beaten up by DX, Kane came out to save him.

Walking back up the ramp, Kane stopped and turned around before doing Taker's signature 'kneeling' pose and the Undertaker returned it as Kane's pyro went off.

Always remember Jim Ross going nuts on commentary:

"Kane........extending his hand in some sort of bond, or friendship...........AND THE UNDERTAKER'S RETURNING IT! OH WHAT A MOMENT!"

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

What was the best face turn in WWE history? Empty Re: What was the best face turn in WWE history?

Post by sodhat Fri 13 May 2011, 10:27 am

I always remember Batista turning on Evolution and HHH. It may not have been a huge moment, but it launched Batista to headliner status and resulted in him winning the belt at Mania.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Fri 13 May 2011, 10:47 am

Kane always has some magnificent face and heel turn's Wink

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 13 May 2011, 11:12 am

Austins at WM13 is unrivaled for me, two of my other favourites are Macho Kings at WM7 and Jimmy Harts in the lead up to WM9

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 13 May 2011, 11:24 am

I liked the Undertaker's turn on Jake Roberts in 1992 as well.

"YOU TELL ME! Whose side are you on?!"

"Come on! TELL ME!"

".....Not yours".

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 13 May 2011, 12:03 pm

I agree with Y2D2 with the Undertaker one. That was brilliant.

I liked the Austin one at WM13.

Macho Man at WM7 again was immense. The end of the match certainly one of the most emotional moments I have seen since HBK after WM26.

I would also say The Rock's turn at IYH Breakdown 1998

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 13 May 2011, 12:18 pm

I liked the way they turned Brock Lesnar face in his feud with the Big Show in 2002, thought they handled that one really well.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 13 May 2011, 12:20 pm

I did like that one too Y2D2. I think Brock wrestled a brilliant match and credit to Big Show for taking some bumps during the match. The F5 was awesome.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 13 May 2011, 12:25 pm

Yeah I went apesh|t when he got him up for the F5, the reaction from the crowd in MSG was pretty epic too!

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2011, 12:31 pm

Survivor Series 89.

Demolition turning on Mr Fuji, who was in turn then helped up by the Powers of Pain. Total reversal of Face and Heel. Thought it was really well done.

Also HHH turning on Vince, Shane & Spirit Squad to help out HBK. We saw it coming a mile off but was pretty cool when it happened.

Last edited by K-PX0110 on Fri 13 May 2011, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remembered something else)

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 13 May 2011, 5:43 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Austins at WM13 is unrivaled for me, two of my other favourites are Macho Kings at WM7 and Jimmy Harts in the lead up to WM9

Some great suggestions here bring back some memories....

Face turns tend not to be as shocking & dramatic as heel turns so perhaps not as memorable... in recent times you kind of know the heel is becoming cool so its like the audience think wow hes so bad hes cool lets cheer for him - This definately happened with Stone Cold

Savages at Mania 7 was the 1st I saw & as a naive 10 year old who thought it was all real!

I remember thinking Jimmy Harts didnt make any sense why was he all of a sudden siding with Hogan?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 13 May 2011, 5:45 pm

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:It was only a short term face turn, but I loved it when Kane came to help the Undertaker on RAW in late 97. Taker had saved Kane a while earlier by helping beat up a bunch of vigilantes who were out to get Kane, and then a few weeks later when Taker was getting beaten up by DX, Kane came out to save him.

Walking back up the ramp, Kane stopped and turned around before doing Taker's signature 'kneeling' pose and the Undertaker returned it as Kane's pyro went off.

Always remember Jim Ross going nuts on commentary:

"Kane........extending his hand in some sort of bond, or friendship...........AND THE UNDERTAKER'S RETURNING IT! OH WHAT A MOMENT!"

Brilliant memory undisputed! This was just classic vintage Jim Ross - The moment was corny & average at Best but Ross' sell was unreal making it a great face tease

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 13 May 2011, 5:47 pm

What about the worst?

Its got to be Orton's turn on Evolution after beating Benoit for the title

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 13 May 2011, 6:00 pm

I think while Jimmy Harts didn't make much sense it was just the case that Hart did the right thing in saving Brutas, what about Lex Luger morphing from the Narcasist to the American Hero to Slam Yoko on July 4th

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Norris Fri 13 May 2011, 6:02 pm

Kane when he teamed with Big Show a few weeks back... Whistle

Chuck Norris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 13 May 2011, 6:11 pm

Mr Perfects face turn on Prime Time in the lead up to Survivor Series was brilliant to, the way Heenan inadvertedly motivated him was great

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Fri 13 May 2011, 6:38 pm

This is a lot harder than the best heel turn question, simply because most heel turns happen by one framatic incident whereas face turns tend to be built over time and hinted at for weeks and months. Take Orton's recent turn to tweener, he didn't really do anything differrent to become face/tweener. I can't think of any that you guys haven't already pointed out.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 13 May 2011, 10:56 pm

the-gaffer wrote:I think while Jimmy Harts didn't make much sense it was just the case that Hart did the right thing in saving Brutas, what about Lex Luger morphing from the Narcasist to the American Hero to Slam Yoko on July 4th

Good shout Gaffer Luger wasn't one I intially thought of but thinking about it, it was a classic face turn that worked well back in 93. Old glory getting the better of his ego. Just a shame his Lex Express angle was so lame...

Perfects it's another great shout. I remember being shocked that he was even competing after so long out...

Anyone know what happened for Savages original turn from heel to face in 87? & how did Piper become a face in the 90's?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 13 May 2011, 11:52 pm

Im searching my mind for Savage, as for Piper he turned face in 87 for his retirement match with Adrian Adonis and he just remained face when he returned at WM5 for Piper's Pit

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 13 May 2011, 11:55 pm

Brady12 wrote:What about the worst?

Its got to be Orton's turn on Evolution after beating Benoit for the title

In fact Ezikiele Jackson has just trumped it on Smackdown

Brady12

Back to top Go down

What was the best face turn in WWE history? Empty Quiz

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 14 May 2011, 12:39 am

This is the story of the Macho Man's face turn in 87

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdGDYOwMUW0k&v=dGDYOwMUW0k&gl=GB

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sat 14 May 2011, 9:31 am

the-gaffer wrote:This is the story of the Macho Man's face turn in 87

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdGDYOwMUW0k&v=dGDYOwMUW0k&gl=GB

Cheers gaffer good watch that... Not one of the best executes but the fans were going nuts for Savage & dying to cheer him by the looks of things

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 14 May 2011, 10:51 am

I loved it, it also made the IC Title look as important as the World Title, The Honky Tonk Man was awful but apart from Roddy Piper between 84-86 I don't think anyone got as much heat as him in the WWF in the 80s, a total heat magnet

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 14 May 2011, 11:54 am

Has to be Hogans at Wrestle Maina

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down