The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do We Have A Moral Obligation As To Who We Buy Our TV Sports Package From?

+9
Rowley
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
TopHat24/7
horizontalhero
bhb001
seanmichaels
Lumbering_Jack
STC
Strongback
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do We Have A Moral Obligation As To Who We Buy Our TV Sports Package From? Empty Do We Have A Moral Obligation As To Who We Buy Our TV Sports Package From?

Post by Strongback Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17 pm

I have been thinking about this for quite a while.  Should there be a place for morals in our decision making when it comes to who we give our TV money to.

If we look at boxing in this part of the world there are two TV companies: Sky and Box Nation.

Now, there are few of us that are keen on Boxing Promoters but if we take a step back further and look at the morals of the people we give money to should we be a bit more discerning?

What I am getting at is firstly who are the promoters most likely to give us a bang for our buck but also which TV broadcaster most aligns with our moral values.

When I was a kid if I walked into the house with a copy of the Sun I would have been beaten around the head with it.  Maybe that effected my sensibilities but to this day I do not like tabloid propaganda as dished out by the likes of Sky and the extended Murdock media network.  I just don't want to give that man my money.  

Should morals play a part in deciding how we watch sport,  in general and in our chosen sport boxing?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Do We Have A Moral Obligation As To Who We Buy Our TV Sports Package From? Empty Re: Do We Have A Moral Obligation As To Who We Buy Our TV Sports Package From?

Post by STC Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 pm

It's just sport. I will pay anybody to watch a fight if I really want to watch that fight and there's no other way. I'd pay a criminal to watch it, even if he'd nicked the fight off my Gran.

As for The Sun, that's different. If you chose to pay for The Sun, or any other tabloid, then you deserve to get your head filled up with drivel.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Do We Have A Moral Obligation As To Who We Buy Our TV Sports Package From? Empty Re: Do We Have A Moral Obligation As To Who We Buy Our TV Sports Package From?

Post by Strongback Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:39 pm

STC wrote:It's just sport. I will pay anybody to watch a fight if I really want to watch that fight and there's no other way. I'd pay a criminal to watch it, even if he'd nicked the fight off my Gran.

As for The Sun, that's different. If you chose to pay for The Sun, or any other tabloid, then you deserve to get your head filled up with drivel.

Sky TV is coming from the same source.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:It's just sport. I will pay anybody to watch a fight if I really want to watch that fight and there's no other way. I'd pay a criminal to watch it, even if he'd nicked the fight off my Gran.

I know and I don't care. I want to watch football and boxing.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 pm

STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
Am I supposed to feel guilty?
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:56 pm

What are we meant to do without TV? What would all your furniture point out?

Without TV most peoples world would come crumbling down. And the lack of alternatives makes morals a side issue here.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:56 pm

STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
That would very much depend on your moral compass.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:58 pm

It's like asking people if they feel guilty driving gas guzzling 4x4's on the school run.

Most people couldn't care less.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Liberalist tosh. The bloke just wants to watch sport in peace. Leave him be.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:What are we meant to do without TV? What would all your furniture point out?

Without TV most peoples world would come crumbling down. And the lack of alternatives makes morals a side issue here.

Seemed to be a lot less hassle when there were only 4 TV channels. Got to see a lot more boxing as well.

Homegrown TV Stations didn't have to dumb down to compete with Sky's 57 channels and nothing on.

The question is really do people even consider they are giving their money to a heinous dictator?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:It's like asking people if they feel guilty driving gas guzzling 4x4's on the school run.

I do care about this because the sheilas can't drive the bloody things. Women should not be allowed on the roads between 7-10am and 4-7pm. If they have to move school hours to accomodate so be it.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:04 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Liberalist tosh. The bloke just wants to watch sport in peace. Leave him be.
There's no need to come rushing in beating your chest. Engage the brain on this one.

Given your choice who do you give your money to?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:10 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:It's like asking people if they feel guilty driving gas guzzling 4x4's on the school run.

I do care about this because the sheilas can't drive the bloody things. Women should not be allowed on the roads between 7-10am and 4-7pm. If they have to move school hours to accomodate so be it.
That isn't an issue for 4x4's though. Women can't drive any type of car.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Strongback wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:Liberalist tosh. The bloke just wants to watch sport in peace. Leave him be.
There's no need to come rushing in beating your chest.  Engage the brain on this one.

Life isn't fair. Whether it is the pharmaceutical giants charging 6 figure sums for cancer treatments, or energy companies hiking their prices by 40% in 2 years we're always getting screwed.

The one consolation is that despite getting screwed pretty much everyone in this country has a shot. Can't be said of many places in the world.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:36 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Strongback wrote:
There's no need to come rushing in beating your chest.  Engage the brain on this one.

Life isn't fair. Whether it is the pharmaceutical giants charging 6 figure sums for cancer treatments, or energy companies hiking their prices by 40% in 2 years we're always getting screwed.

The one consolation is that despite getting screwed pretty much everyone in this country has a shot. Can't be said of many places in the world.

People don't have to take it. They choose to take it.

I did work for a few pharmaceutical companies and in that time I encountered an irregularly high number of total assholes. There was a nasty undercurrent. I make money other ways now.

But do people think about where the money goes or do they just pay for sport and that's it because you have to?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:What are we meant to do without TV?
Sit in a room and stare at an empty corner

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 pm

bhb001 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:What are we meant to do without TV?
Sit in a room and stare at an empty corner

Kids might play football 8 hours a day like I did.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:07 pm

But what are the viable alternative Strongy? Do Virgin and BT show sky channels? I think they do. What you are asking is for people to make themselves less happy so that a man whom they have never met does not profit from them.

I don't know the back drop to the Murdoch empire (phone hacking aside), what else has this mass child murderer (presumably given the level of hatred) done?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:22 pm

He owns Fox news, 'nuff said.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Strongback wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Strongback wrote:

People don't have to take it.  They choose to take it.

I did work for a few pharmaceutical companies and in that time I encountered an irregularly high number of total assholes.  There was a nasty undercurrent.  I make money other ways now.

But do people think about where the money goes or do they just pay for sport and that's it because you have to?
Doing what exactly? Because I'm pretty sure holes can be poked in anything if people want to be a-holes about it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:But what are the viable alternative Strongy? Do Virgin and BT show sky channels? I think they do. What you are asking is for people to make themselves less happy so that a man whom they have never met does not profit from them.

I don't know the back drop to the Murdoch empire (phone hacking aside), what else has this mass child murderer (presumably given the level of hatred) done?
Twisted peoples heads into believing Sadam had WMD, poison dart pens which could kill everyone in America on his Fox News channel in order to start a war and kill over 100'000 Iraqi's...mostly kids as you mentioned
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:26 pm

How far do you go with your moral crusade. Do we refuse to watch any hollywood film made my Time Warner of which Murdoch is an owner. Straight away we are denying ourselves sports and movies. Am no expert on the mans portfolio but would guess he owns one or more publishing houses so some books are also off the shelf for us entertainment wise.

Also if you are going to have this stance against Murdoch would need to be demonstrated his business practices are demonstrably worse than those of other major companies/businessmen otherwise would seem we are obliged to maintain the same stands against other organisations. Would not take you too long before your opinions in terms of what you do for food, entertainment and pretty much every facet of life would be limited.

Does make me wonder though Strongy if you refuse to line Murdoch's pockets one has to assume you do not have Sky, however your posts on here suggest you see pretty much every fight shown on it. Struggling to see how someone with such a strong sense of morality and right and wrong could achieve this.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:54 pm

Rowley wrote:

Does make me wonder though Strongy if you refuse to line Murdoch's pockets one has to assume you do not have Sky, however your posts on here suggest you see pretty much every fight shown on it. Struggling to see how someone with such a strong sense of morality and right and wrong could achieve this.

I see the fights in a way he wouldn't like.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:01 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Strongback wrote:

People don't have to take it.  They choose to take it.

I did work for a few pharmaceutical companies and in that time I encountered an irregularly high number of total assholes.  There was a nasty undercurrent.  I make money other ways now.

Doing what exactly? Because I'm pretty sure holes can be poked in anything if people want to be a-holes about it.
I've always said to myself I wouldn't make money out of selling drink or gambling. Traditionally in my job I don't work for huge corporations, I have done a bit more of that in the last few years though due to things tightening up. I find the big companies terminally boring to deal with.

I'm not saying I haven't done work for some run of the mill rich douche bags but they are not the types who decide how the whole world should think.

Last edited by Strongback on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:02 am

Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
Lost mine a long time ago.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:04 am

STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0

You only think that.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:13 am

Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
You only think that.
I think my moral compass is ok. I'm polite and respectful to others, I treat all people equally (even retards), I've given up my seat on a train for a beautiful woman, I've saved a puppy from being burned alive, and I've never ever robbed or raped anybody.

But when it comes to paying to watch boxing it all goes out the window.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:17 am

No!

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:19 am

STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
You only think that.
I think my moral compass is ok. I'm polite and respectful to others, I treat all people equally (even retards), I've given up my seat on a train for a beautiful woman, I've saved a puppy from being burned alive, and I've never ever robbed or raped anybody.

Sometimes it's enough to know who the enemy is.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:25 am

Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
You only think that.

My enemy's enemy is my friend.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:27 am

STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
You only think that.

Is that some cryptic way of saying you are your own worst enemy.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:34 am

Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
You only think that.

The innocent seldom find an uncomfortable pillow.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:45 am

STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
You only think that.

Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads its innocence

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 am

Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:

So you won't buy any of his channels on moral grounds but have no problem with stealing them. You are truly the Naomi Klein of this board.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:50 am

STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
You only think that.
I think my moral compass is ok. I'm polite and respectful to others, I treat all people equally (even AZ), I've given up my seat on a train for a beautiful woman, I've saved a puppy from being burned alive, and I've never ever robbed or raped anybody.

Fixed that for you mate
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:55 am

Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
You only think that.

People who live in glass houses should not throw snowballs.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 am

Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:

So you won't buy any of his channels on moral grounds but have no problem with stealing them. You are truly the Naomi Klein of this board.
laughing laughing laughing 

In fairness, people in glass houses Geoff........ warning

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:58 am

Never claimed to be a particularly moral man Top Hat, have Sky but as you know I refuse to buy boxnation. Do not stream their content. Managed to see the Mayweather fight solely because I was round a mates the day after and he said he had it recorded if I wanted to watch it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 am

Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:

More a Jean Genet's philosophy with a hint of William Burrough than Naomi Klien.

Have you read The Thief's Journal?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:13 am

STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
You only think that.

Don't bring a snowball to a gun fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:19 am

I cant believe you people actually pay for sports packages

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:22 am

Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:
STC wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Gratuitous enjoyment  1

Morals  0
You only think that.

Don't bring a snowball to a gun fight.
A rolling snowball gathers no moss.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:57 am

Don't do more than three snowballs at a time.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:10 am

A snowball a day keeps the doctor away.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:11 am

Dont eat yellow snowballs
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:26 am

Steffan wrote:I cant believe you people actually pay for sports packages
The benefits of a job.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:27 am

Scottrf wrote:
Steffan wrote:I cant believe you people actually pay for sports packages
The benefits of a job.
Cool. Il still give it a miss for now though thanks OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:28 am

Typical Welshman.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:33 am

Scottrf wrote:Typical Welshman.
Not really. Im in Uni. Most of us live off JSA or ESA

I just hope the pesky Scots go their own way next year. More money for us then Yahoo

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next