The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sell me Mayweather's next opponent

+18
Boxtthis
All Time Great
Lance
azania
catchweight
Small Time
Soldier_Of_Fortune
AlexHuckerby
jimdig
DynamiteChris
STC
Scottrf
Adam D
Steffan
kingraf
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
ShahenshahG
Seanusarrilius
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sell me Mayweather's next opponent Empty Sell me Mayweather's next opponent

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:34 pm

Who can he fight next? He needs to put bums on PPV seats and after his dismantling of Canelo, who can we be sold?

Thurman - Too soon, but build him as a name and he is possible for late 2013/early 2014.
Alexander - If he beats Khan, he is viable. But he sells minus 500k PPV's.
Khan - Probably won't beat Alexander, but if he does, a fairly easy sell in Englad due to his speeeeed and speeeeeed. That said, he looks shot to me. Bums are putting him down. May would dismantle him.
Garcia - Needs some fights at 147 first. Would be dismantled, but Garcia may be an option.
Bradley - He should be the next fight really, but will never happen due to TR feud.
Martinez at 154 - Possible. Martinez wants it (for $$$$), but is also shot now. That said, Martinez being the bigger man and a pretyy big name may sway it.
MAy at 160 - No. Can't see it happening.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Sell me Mayweather's next opponent Empty Re: Sell me Mayweather's next opponent

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:36 pm

Khan on steroids with a heavy duty headguard on might beat mayweather.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:42 pm

I think it may well be Martinez you know.

Showtime had a really tough result with the Guerrero fight, bad PPV sales etc. Hence the Alvarez fight following immediately.

But they need to keep the train rolling and I don't think anyone would give any of the fighters you mentioned a chance with their styles.

But even a shot Martinez is still the number one at middle, has a tricky style, has power and deserves it more than anything. Agree that it will likely be at 154lb.

I think Khan in September will be made should Khan not get his chin smashed again or battered by another old, fat, lightweight. That fight needs about a year to pick up pace.

Thurman is unknown and wouldn't sell, Alexander is boring and also doesn't sell, Bradley (Top Rank)... That leaves Garcia.

He needs to campaign at Welter first off. I know Mayweather has had opponents move up in the past. But these are his last handful of fights so they need to sell big. And with Garcia people will discredit the thought of Garcia having a chance on a lot terms but the main being that he has never fought at welter before probably. A few good wins and a title at Welter and it will sell.

So the next 3 I can think of is Martinez, Khan and Garcia......who will the lucky 4th one be!!??
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:44 pm

I dont think Mayweather is gonna fight Martinez, 154 or no. Martinez has gotten a little dull, but he is still faster than anyone May has faced in the last few years. Plus he is a southpaw, unorthodox, and doesnt actually come forward. Pretty much made the opposite of everyone May has taken on. Theres only two inches in height, but Mayweather would give up three inches in reach. Martinez, imo wins it if it was made before the multiple surgeries, but even now, I cant see Mayweather dancing his way out of the physical chasm.

Garcia - Latino heritage... Does anything else even matter after that?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:44 pm

Martinez is the one fight out of that list that I would want to see

Alexander after that

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:49 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I think it may well be Martinez you know.

Showtime had a really tough result with the Guerrero fight, bad PPV sales etc. Hence the Alvarez fight following immediately.

But they need to keep the train rolling and I don't think anyone would give any of the fighters you mentioned a chance with their styles.

But even a shot Martinez is still the number one at middle, has a tricky style, has power and deserves it more than anything. Agree that it will likely be at 154lb.

I think Khan in September will be made should Khan not get his chin smashed again or battered by another old, fat, lightweight. That fight needs about a year to pick up pace.

Thurman is unknown and wouldn't sell, Alexander is boring and also doesn't sell, Bradley (Top Rank)... That leaves Garcia.

He needs to campaign at Welter first off. I know Mayweather has had opponents move up in the past. But these are his last handful of fights so they need to sell big. And with Garcia people will discredit the thought of Garcia having a chance on a lot terms but the main being that he has never fought at welter before probably. A few good wins and a title at Welter and it will sell.

So the next 3 I can think of is Martinez, Khan and Garcia......who will the lucky 4th one be!!??
I think you may be right re. Martinez. For a long time he has said he can make 154 comfortably, and it is well known he is a small middle. I don't think May wanted anything to do with Martinez 2/3 years ago at 154, as Martinez had a real shot at beating him, but May would school him now as he is shot. Martinez would want it.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:50 pm

kingraf wrote:I dont think Mayweather is gonna fight Martinez, 154 or no. Martinez has gotten a little dull, but he is still faster than anyone May has faced in the last few years. Plus he is a southpaw, unorthodox, and doesnt actually come forward. Pretty much made the opposite of everyone May has taken on. Theres only two inches in height, but Mayweather would give up three inches in reach. Martinez, imo wins it if it was made before the multiple surgeries, but even now, I cant see Mayweather dancing his way out of the physical chasm.

I wouldn't say Martinez is dull, just shot.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:53 pm

kingraf wrote:I dont think Mayweather is gonna fight Martinez, 154 or no. Martinez has gotten a little dull, but he is still faster than anyone May has faced in the last few years. Plus he is a southpaw, unorthodox, and doesnt actually come forward. Pretty much made the opposite of everyone May has taken on. Theres only two inches in height, but Mayweather would give up three inches in reach. Martinez, imo wins it if it was made before the multiple surgeries, but even now, I cant see Mayweather dancing his way out of the physical chasm.

Bit of an exaggeration. He had a bad night against Murray. Before that he put on a clinic against Chavez, had a decent fight with Macklin, finished off a boring Barker performance and beat the hell out of Dzinziruk.

The knee injury in the Chavez fight has obviously done damage, but bad nights come and go. He is currently out with his injury but whos to say he wouldn't put on a decent showing after recovering? The Murray fight might have came too soon. Before that he looked as good as ever boxing the ears off Chavez Jr
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:56 pm

How about Marquez?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:57 pm

It would be an interesting night, but I fear Martinez-Mayweather would closer resemble a ballet night than a fight... Even if Floyd makes Martinez miss, Martinez doesnt sit on his punches so, with the three inch Reach difference, I dont think Floyds counter punches are going to find him still there...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:58 pm

Adam D wrote:How about Marquez?
Never happen for several reasons.

1. May already killed him at 144
2. Even JMM trainer says it won't happen as May is too good
3. JMM is possibly on roids and won't even submit to VADA testing.
4. No demand

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:58 pm

Adam D wrote:How about Marquez?
Too easy the first time.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:59 pm

kingraf wrote:It would be an interesting night, but I fear Martinez-Mayweather would closer resemble a ballet night than a fight... Even if Floyd makes Martinez miss, Martinez doesnt sit on his punches so, with the three inch Reach difference, I dont think Floyds counter punches are going to find him still there...
intriguing fight for me. I have never found Martinez dull, and even in his twilight years, he has shown great cajones in fighting to his last breath.

Won't just give up after 4 rounds and coast to a UD loss like Guerrero, Mosely, et al

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:02 pm

Too easy the first time... Like that would stop either man if there was enough money in it.

With four fights to go, I'll be honest I expect Pacquiao fighter sooner or later
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:04 pm

Sean - Dont get me wrong, I love Martinez, and I expect him to come to play if it does happen, when I say he has dulled, I meant his lustre... or Sharpness... Still a great watch...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:06 pm

A fight against the Pooch even though its 3 years too late would still sell I guess

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:10 pm

If Manny routs Rios as is expected, and wins a rematch bout vs either Marquez or Bradley, I fully expecr Pac-May September 2014... Martinez is a nice hypothetical, but so close to the end, I cant see Mayweather risking the "0"
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:10 pm

Pacquiao would sell...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:12 pm

I'm sure Floyd will be eyeing up that WBC middleweight belt that Martinez has.

The fight doesn't have to be made at 160.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:13 pm

Pac has to leave Arum though and he seems utterly blind to the odious so and so that Arum has become.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by DynamiteChris Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:54 pm

Think Martinez is the only viable option. But as OP says he is shot, still would be a massive fight particularly as Martinez has a huge Hispanic following. But anyone who knows both fighters & is not blinded knows it's pretty close to a foregone conclusion, Martinez is a great fighter but gettng hit more & more in his last few fights is plain to see, & huge knee problems too effecting mobility, not good signs for someone fighting someone as fast & precise as Mayweather.

DynamiteChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 24 Sep 2013, 6:16 pm

DynamiteChris wrote:Think Martinez is the only viable option. But as OP says he is shot, still would be a massive fight particularly as Martinez has a huge Hispanic following. But anyone who knows both fighters & is not blinded knows it's pretty close to a foregone conclusion, Martinez is a great fighter but gettng hit more & more in his last few fights is plain to see, & huge knee problems too effecting mobility, not good signs for someone fighting someone as fast & precise as Mayweather.

couldn't agree more

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 24 Sep 2013, 6:36 pm

Martinez at 160lb no weight restrictions for the linear middleweight crown would be my preference and would be a huge ppv sell. Martinez wouldn't come in much bigger than Alvarez did. He does appear to be on the downward slide, but he'd still be the toughest challenge on the list you've posted.
I don't think it'll happen, but that fight sells itself, any of the other opponents listed would be a hard sell for next May, maybe by September next year one of them might come into their own.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 24 Sep 2013, 6:54 pm

Think you'll find the Mexican community would probably pay to watch Martinez lose... After all he insulted, many times over, The son of Mexico's favorite son....
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm

Sell me Mayweathers next opponent, I can't really... He'll beat him. Only thing I could get excited for is Floyd Vs. GGG who says he can make 154 easy. Thats only because GGGs power and massive size advantage.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:17 pm

I would like him to see if he can make history and fight Martinez at 160. It would be a big ask but he would be catching Martinez at the right time.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:27 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Sell me Mayweathers next opponent, I can't really... He'll beat him. Only thing I could get excited for is Floyd Vs. GGG who says he can make 154 easy. Thats only because GGGs power and massive size advantage.
I would love to see that, if GGG can function at 154

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:57 pm

I honestly think he would time Martinez to perfection. He isnt particularly hard to hit and Macklin was timing him on the way in. Martinez wouldnt have seen speed like Floyds and Martinez purely relies on his feet to get him in and out of danger, Mayweather cottons onto that very quickly. Martinez hasn't ever had to defend a jab like Floyds or deal with anyone who shows the kind of feints that Floyd does. 117-111 Floyd in my view. Martinez is just too one dimensional. Punchers chance.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:58 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Sell me Mayweathers next opponent, I can't really... He'll beat him. Only thing I could get excited for is Floyd Vs. GGG who says he can make 154 easy. Thats only because GGGs power and massive size advantage.
I would love to see that, if GGG can function at 154
Yeah I'll have a piece of that...got to say I think May v Martinez stinks the house out, don't fancy it one bit.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:07 pm

I really do think it's about winning a middleweight title for Mayweather. If it's an option, he'll take it. Winning another world title at another weight or fight a game but overmatched opponent at 154 or below. No brainer, surely?

GGG or Martinez both have the attractive belts. Mayweather could easily tempt either to put their middleweight titles on the line but at an agreed weight below 160. Martinez is the obvious choice of the two: he's on the slide, he doesn't punch like a mule, and he has the WBC title which Mayweather will most likely prefer to add to his collection.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:09 pm

Golovkin v Martinez needs to happen before Mayweather should get involved.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:10 pm

Why?
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm

To determine who is the number 1 middleweight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:16 pm

Lou DiBella (Martinez and Macklins promoter) said he thought putting Macklin against GGG was a fair matchup, but GGG starts favourite, after he saw what GGG did to Macklin he said that theres no chance hes putting Martinez in against that monster. DiBella doesnt want it by the sounds of things.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:17 pm

It would be nice for us but I don't think Mayweather would give a monkeys.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:19 pm

I just hope he doesnt fight Garcia, the lads earned it but it would be Floyd Vs. Gatti all over again. Speed kills.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:36 pm

STC wrote:It would be nice for us but I don't think Mayweather would give a monkeys.
He might because the winner of that makes a big fight into a mega fight. Martinez is viewed as being the champion in name but is old and creaking going off his last display. Golovkin is seen as the new star in making but hasnt yet earned his stripes. A fight between the two would establish either Martinez still has it or confirms Golovkins arrival as a top fighter. Either way it makes for a more profitable fight with Mayweather.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:38 pm

Why should Mayweather got ot Middle? He is a WW, and a tiny LM. GGG at 154 if poss would be my pick. But I don't think May would want GGG unless he sees something in him that he can really exploit. GGG is a murderous puncher after all

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:41 pm

Yeah I don't like the idea of stepping up a division until he eventually loses. The guy is small at Welterweight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:41 pm

catchweight wrote:
STC wrote:It would be nice for us but I don't think Mayweather would give a monkeys.
He might because the winner of that makes a big fight into a mega fight. Martinez is viewed as being the champion in name but is old and creaking going off his last display. Golovkin is seen as the new star in making but hasnt yet earned his stripes. A fight between the two would establish either Martinez still has it or confirms Golovkins arrival as a top fighter. Either way it makes for a more profitable fight with Mayweather.
I disagree. Mayweather is top of the tree. GGG or Martinez will be feeding off the scraps that Mayweather leaves, regardless of who is number one in the division.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:45 pm

Scottrf wrote:Yeah I don't like the idea of stepping up a division until he eventually loses. The guy is small at Welterweight.
Where are the challenges at WW or LMW?

If he stays at WW/LMW then his career is going to go out like a damp squib. If he takes on a real challenge at MW and wins, it enhances his reputation and standing immensely. He's smart enough to know this.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:50 pm

There aren't any, but the only challenge at middle is one of bodymass.

Ward can't be beat, but I don't want to see him face Klitschko.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:55 pm

Someone suggested fighting Martinez, followed by Garcia. If he did that and won both he'd be the reigning linear champ at 4 divisions.

Although he is capable of achieving it, it's highly unlikely he'd attempt it.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:55 pm

STC wrote:
catchweight wrote:
I disagree. Mayweather is top of the tree. GGG or Martinez will be feeding off the scraps that Mayweather leaves, regardless of who is number one in the division.
If Golovkin beats Martinez, he announces himself as top fighter no? Hes only beaten a few decent names right now but no really top fighters. A win over a fighter like Martinez confirms he is the top middleweight, raises his profile massively and makes a fight with Mayweather much greater financially. At the moment Golovkin is rated highly by most boxing fans but hasnt really pushed out into the average fan yet and lacks a signature win that confirms he is the real deal. Martinez is the champion but has looked faded in his last fight and is old. If he re-established his top spot with a win over the rated, but still relatively untested Golovkin then it makes a Mayweather fight much bigger as he would be seen as top champion as opposed to an past it, faded champion which many now believe as a result of his last performance and his age. I think a fight between the two makes sense and the winner of it would make a fight with Mayweather a much bigger fight.

I see the situation as similar to Alvarez who before beating Trout was a marketable, highly rated rising star but who needed the win over Trout to really confirm his credentials for taking on Mayweather. Mayweather could fight either Golovkin or Martinez and both would be big fights, but fighting the winner of the two would make it much more massive and Mayweather likes money.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:59 pm

Scottrf wrote:There aren't any, but the only challenge at middle is one of bodymass.

Ward can't be beat, but I don't want to see him face Klitschko.
Martinez isn't huge compared to Mayweather. I'd prefer to see him test himself and be up against it, rather than dominating Garcia and KOing Khan before fighting Pacquiao four years later than he should have done.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 25 Sep 2013, 5:02 pm

About a stone bigger, which is pretty huge.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 25 Sep 2013, 5:33 pm

STC wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Yeah I don't like the idea of stepping up a division until he eventually loses. The guy is small at Welterweight.

If he stays at WW/LMW then his career is going to go out like a damp squib. If he takes on a real challenge at MW and wins, it enhances his reputation and standing immensely. He's smart enough to know this.
So what. You are forgetting where he started. Do you want him to go up to SM if all Middleweight contenders fade? Ridiculous.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 25 Sep 2013, 5:36 pm

STC wrote:

Why stop there? Why not go all the way up to HW? Rolling Eyes 

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 25 Sep 2013, 5:47 pm

picard 
azania wrote:
STC wrote:

Why stop there? Why not go all the way up to HW? Rolling Eyes 
People have no idea, seemingly, of what it means for fighters to jump weights and the advantages fighters give away.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 25 Sep 2013, 5:53 pm

Exactly. Floyd weighs in 150 after a huge meal. He cannot make 160. Heck he can barely fight at 154. He probably can make 140 if he wanted. His frame simply isn't big enough. Hatton was the bigger guy in their fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next