The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think of me and my opinions?

+25
kingjohn7
mystiroakey
bsando
Norfolklass
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
George Carlin
butterfingers
doctor_grey
broadlandboy
Submachine
Cyril
fa0019
kiakahaaotearoa
GunsGerms
rodders
Biltong
Taylorman
nganboy
LondonTiger
blackcanelion
The Saint
Notch
tigerleghorn
GloriousEmpire
emack2
29 posters

Go down

What do you think of me and my opinions? Empty What do you think of me and my opinions?

Post by emack2 Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi,I`m Alan ,also known as Emack/Emack2/Alan Mackie 6/an Anglo-Scot,AllBlacks Supporter,aged 70.
AllBlacks supporter since 1953 as well as an England and Scotland Supporter.Passionate about the
Game.I have vast knowledge of Rugby gleaned over the years from watching,playing[briefly] talking
too.plus watching.BUT my knowledge such as it is very specialized Nz and International Rugby and
players I`ve seen over the years.I comment only on things I know about don`t get involved in
club/provincial/Super Rugby because usually only follow test Rugby[watch].I have been accussed
of being a turncoat,gloryhunter,computer just viewing facts,an "uncle Albert during the war etc.
BUT I would be interested in what people really think of me,my opinions,and maybe if I should
just cease making them.I doubt many will even bother to read this,let alone reply except for
maybe those who hate and despise me at least then I know where I stand.Alan

emack2

Back to top Go down

What do you think of me and my opinions? Empty Re: What do you think of me and my opinions?

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Love your work Alan. Keep posting!

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

What do you think of me and my opinions? Empty Re: What do you think of me and my opinions?

Post by tigerleghorn Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Does it matter? You're unlikely to meet many, if any on here. Your views and opinions are as valid as anyones and you don't seem to indulge in wummery, so I give you severrrn!

I often think if we were all put together in one vast room the "controversial" posters would be the quiet ones in the corner avoiding eye contact and conversation.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:13 pm

I think you add a lot, we've not had much reason to engage with each other because I normally only post about Irish/NH rugby but whenever I've read posts by you you come across as being very knowledgeable, often you have facts that you can recall others can't- I think you should certainly keep posting as you'd be missed if you stopped OK 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:49 pm

emack2 wrote:What do you think of me and my opinions?
Not much.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:29 am

Ignore the naysayers, and just keep posting. I'm sure most of us appreciate your posts.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:34 am

The Saint wrote:
emack2 wrote:What do you think of me and my opinions?
Not much.
Is that active or passive.

ie You do not think about him much, or you do not think much of him. Two very different attitudes.

As to the OP. Well I say keep on posting. I am aware of your issues with respect to writing etc, so I do try and understand the points you make. Sadly the construction of your posts with the wall of text does make it hard for me, personally, to read. I feel that sometimes you oversell the achievements of the Kiwis - and bang on a bot much about players even you will never have seen (George Nepia for example). Reminds me of my mum, who frequently tells me that Hedley Verity was the best bowler ever, despite having been killed 4 years before she was born.

Other than that, most people have valid points to make on here. We may not always agree, we may feel that some are driven by inherent bias and dislike, but the vast majority have points that are pertinent and relevant.

Keep on posting.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:39 am

I like the fact that you add something different and don't get involved in all the stupid slagging matches.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:44 am

I appreciate your knowledge, calmness, patience and the wisdom as an Anglo-Scott to appreciate NZ rugby is, as Chris Rattue wrote in today's Herald probably the only team worthy if supporting at the moment outside of South Africa.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:50 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:I appreciate your knowledge, calmness, patience and the wisdom as an Anglo-Scott to appreciate NZ rugby is, as Chris Rattue wrote in today's Herald probably the only team worthy if supporting at the moment outside of South Africa.
Possibly the dumbest statement I have seen written in quite some time. Mind you, I understand that very few in NZ respect Rattue as a journo. Kind of like the kiwi equivalent of Stephen jones.

any sportsteam that connects with you emotionally is worth supporting, whethe rthat is national, club, local team or school.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:56 am

keep going Alan, things are changing fast and no need to keep up with them. the historical elements always have their place and provide perspective. How they relate to todays game I think is the part you might be struggling with. Although relevant, many of the posters on these boards dont go back before the 80's

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:06 am

Alan, it is really simple, everyone has the right to provide an opinion, everyone has the right to disagree with that opinion.

You provide your opinion in as objective manner as you can and you don't disrespect other or attack anyone personally.

As for you supporting the All Blacks, that is something I will never understand even if you motivate it to me a hundred times.

I love my country with all my heart, no matter the challenges we face every day.

when we sing our anthem before a test match I get a lump in my throat because of pride and loyalty.

I can never imagine supporting another team, our traditions, our culture and our people represent us in the most beautiful game.

But then that is me.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:16 am

Alan this forum has lost a lot of very good posters over the past year or so and has become a lot duller.

It would be a much poorer place without your insights and unique paragraph free posting style....

Keep her lit!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:18 am

Are You ok though Alan? That's quite a despondent post you've made now that I read it again.

I actually find Alan's posts much easier to read on a big wide screen, where the formatting actually makes sense. Try it some time.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:Are You ok though Alan? That's quite a despondent post you've made now that I read it again.
agreed, seems a very morose post.

So again - keep on posting please.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:46 am

Keep posting Alan. Doesnt matter what people think as long as you derive some sort of fulfillment from this forum.

I too originally questioned your allegiances but what does it really matter? You shouldnt have to explain yourself over and over again.

I love the way test rugby is what's important to you. Wish everyone saw it that way.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:51 am

I hope people haven't been sending you personal messages Alan. Not the best idea to publicly give out your email details.

You can only be who you are. You can't be who others want you to be. I support Scotland as well as NZ due to my father (though my allegiance to NZ supersedes all!) and I see it as penance for supporting a side that gives me too much success.

Telling you what to think or who to support is like insisting you share my opinion on music or cinema. Don't feel you need to seek affirmation. You get enjoyment out of following NZ so why the hell not. Anyone wishing to express their view and engaging others in debate or offering insight should be welcome on these boards. Don't go changing Alan. Hug 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:59 am

well a turncoat is someone who supports one side and then changes over to another side so I wouldn't say you are one. You've supported the ABs for 60+ years from youth so thats all it... rugby especially in the old days was less tribal then football, as was the country.

I remember reading Sir Edmund Hilary's book years back and him saying, "look I was born in NZ and I'm a Kiwi but from birth right the way through life I consider/considered myself a Brit... when I was growing up, we all did".
When speaking to those of similar ages, its apparent that those of British heritage in the colonies have a similar ideology... the English South Africans are some of the most patriotic people you'll meet.... much more so then those living in the UK.

Given that I can see why it wouldn't be that abnormal to support a team that was linked in blood to that of your home especially given the general feelings of the people at the time.

The ABs are an easy side to admire so I can sort of understand why people will follow them on their rugby alone.

I agree with BB though, I myself can't see myself supporting another team. I do follow the boks because that is the primary rugby I now see given my circumstances but I can never really say I support them... I could never support them over my kin as for me, sport is more then whom I most admire... its about tribalism.

Doesn't mean I have any less/more respect for those who don't follow those parameters. Its just personal perference.

I would say though mate, don't take things so personally on here... everyone can pretend to be an online tough guy, the anonymity of the web allows people to say things they wouldn't say to people's faces and it gives people an extra dose of confidence and balls to wind others up.

There are few elder statesmen on this site, a few who remember rugby in the 70s, some more like myself who remember the 80s and if you even mentioned former greats such as Mike Brewer, Peter Winterbottom etc they probably be dismissed quickly compared to current stars.. often the opinions on here are pretty biased towards the now.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:01 am

Alan, you are a diamond in the rough, sir. Who else will provide us with pre-war, eye-witness accounts of 35-game NZ tours Wink

I'm only kidding you when I take the pish about your NZ allegiance.

Don't ever change Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:45 pm

I thank those who have replied so please be advised it was not a case of being morose or ill
health.I am not I hope,a fool,or a hypocrite,because of my enforced absence feel somewhat out of the loop.STILL support my own Countries as well as the AllBlacks it wasn't a conscious
thing when they met every 10 years or so.As to talking about Greats of yesteryear the example was George Nepia,well you don`t have to be Einstein to admire a 19 year old who
plays EVERY match on an 32 match tour scoring 77 points in the process.Incidentally I was
a Great Cricket fan too supported Yorkshire and England.Yorkshire purely because you had to be born there to play for them.Sorry your mum was wrong about Hedley Verity,it was the
Legendary Wilfred Rhodes.
My prose style is that I just type it out looks ok on my PC but comes out differently on the
606v2.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Yeah Alan, your posts look fine on my big iMac, but look odd in iPhone. Dunno, go figurę.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:09 pm

emack2 wrote:Hi,I`m Alan ,also known as Emack/Emack2/Alan Mackie 6/an Anglo-Scot,AllBlacks Supporter,aged 70.
AllBlacks supporter since 1953 as well as an England and Scotland Supporter.Passionate about the
Game.I have vast knowledge of Rugby gleaned over the years from watching,playing[briefly] talking
too.plus watching.BUT my knowledge such as it is very specialized Nz and International Rugby and
players I`ve seen over the years.I comment only on things I know about don`t get involved in
club/provincial/Super Rugby because usually only follow test Rugby[watch].I have been accussed
of being a turncoat,gloryhunter,computer just viewing facts,an "uncle Albert during the war etc.
BUT I would be interested in what people really think of me,my opinions,and maybe if I should
just cease making them.I doubt many will even bother to read this,let alone reply except for
maybe those who hate and despise me at least then I know where I stand
.Alan
You do sound a little down ther pal You remind me of one of my favourite characters of all time. I hope this cheers you up a bit.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:35 am

To paraphrase I might not agree with your opinion but I will fight(figuratively speaking) for your right to have it

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:50 am

Alan,
Quite simply, this is a place for us all.  We all won't, can't, and shouldn't always agree.  That is the key element of discussion.  I enjoy your posts.  And it does not matter to me whom you support.  Just be true.

If I can say so, I think Biltong has said it best.  And I agree 100%.  
Biltong wrote:Alan, it is really simple, everyone has the right to provide an opinion, everyone has the right to disagree with that opinion.

You provide your opinion in as objective manner as you can and you don't disrespect other or attack anyone personally.

As for you supporting the All Blacks, that is something I will never understand even if you motivate it to me a hundred times.

I love my country with all my heart, no matter the challenges we face every day.

when we sing our anthem before a test match I get a lump in my throat because of pride and loyalty.

I can never imagine supporting another team, our traditions, our culture and our people represent us in the most beautiful game.

But then that is me.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:36 am

I was once told by a great man of the sport, there are no right or wrong answers, there are merely opinions.

If you think that your opinion counts, if it even only makes one person question theirs for half a second, then it does!

I personally would listen to a fool ramble on totally one eyed about his precious team opposed to any type of WUM 100% of the time.

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 am

Just seen this - Alan, you have to keep posting on here, it will be a real loss if you don't. I have learnt a lot from reading your stuff and hope to continue to do so.

I think that it is true to say that there are a lot of youngsters on here (I'm 36) who aren't particularly bothered with the game's history, great figures from the past or how the game and its laws have changed over the years. That's fine. However, I think that there are a lot of others who like to appreciate what has come before as it enhances the richness of viewing what is happening now. I am obviously one of those people but the point is that I hardly think I'm alone and the opinions above seem to bear this out.

In an online world of wummers, sledgers and the most modern of phenomenon, the 'spoilt child confident of his utterly unsubstantiated opinion because mater and pater have told them that they are marvellous', we need your common sense quite badly now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:21 pm

emack2 wrote:Incidentally I was a Great Cricket fan too supported Yorkshire and England.Yorkshire purely because you had to be born there to play for them.
God's County Smile

You are truly a man of taste, Alan, In cricketing terms anyway Wink

Last edited by Cyril on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Alan, your contribution to the forum is positive (imnsho!) - long may that continue and others take heed!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:57 am

You're one of my favourite posters, even if this one is a little needy.

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Keep posting Alan, I've always read your posts and considered them to be very knowledgable/informative.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 pm

emack2 wrote:Hi,I`m Alan ,also known as Emack/Emack2/Alan Mackie 6/an Anglo-Scot,AllBlacks Supporter,aged 70.
maybe those who hate and despise me at least then I know where I stand.Alan
I like you.

I will never understand why you don't support england/scotland and plump for the AB's but there you go. Each to there own dude and you clearly have supported them for ages so. you know!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:23 pm

BTW what I like about you most is that you are also Dyslexic and occasionally make more grammatical/spelling mistakes than me!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Keep posting Emack, defo a top poster
thumbsup

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:19 pm

I like to think that emack is tapping away on an ancient, steam-powered typewriter.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Or one of those old 286 computers with 64k RAM.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Cyril wrote:I like to think that emack is tapping away on an ancient, steam-powered typewriter.

I've always assumed that Alan scratches out his thoughts with a vintage Mont Blanc on Milbrook Resort headed notepaper made out of woven unicorn hair and it's transcribed by an unfeasibly hot secretary onto her Ipad screen whilst Alan sips a cheeky Hawke's Bay pinot from a Riedel schooner. Don't tell me if that's not true, Alan. Don't ruin that mental picture for me.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Laugh  excellent george.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:44 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Cyril wrote:I like to think that emack is tapping away on an ancient, steam-powered typewriter.

I've always assumed that Alan scratches out his thoughts with a vintage Mont Blanc on Milbrook Resort headed notepaper made out of woven unicorn hair and it's transcribed by an unfeasibly hot secretary onto her Ipad screen whilst Alan sips a cheeky Hawke's Bay pinot from a Riedel schooner. Don't tell me if that's not true, Alan. Don't ruin that mental picture for me.
... in a linen suit and Panama looking like a cross between Alan Whicker, Roger Moore and The Man From Del Monte (but smoother than all three).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Two sides to every coin Alan my man, and yours is as valid as the rest of us geezers.

Keep on trucking buddy
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Always thought your ok, maybe a little more banter needed but then seeing your age i imagine you have heard enough smart ass one liners to be sick of it.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:43 am

For those of you interested in people swapping teams that they support
When I was just a young fella that didn't know anything about rugby I saw my dad watching a team with red and white playing a team all dressed in black.
I was a bit disappointed that the team in black kept winning and told my dad so. He gave me a quick whack on the head and explained the difference between the Lions and the All Blacks.
Ever since then I have supported the All Blacks - about 37 years so far vs about 1 hour for the Lions.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:19 am

He explained the difference and you started supporting the AB's????

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:18 pm

I didn't know the ABs were NZ and the Lions were our ex colonial overlords. I didn't know the game rugby until then.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Overlords??

Why do people think the immigrants are morally better than the ones that stayed home.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

i enjoy reading your comments Alan . Im not that knowledgeable myself so i do like to read what others think and tell my mates down the pub and pretend they my own . you started supporting allblacks 53 , is that before or after Wales beat you in that year Very Happy 

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:35 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:i enjoy reading your comments Alan . Im not that knowledgeable myself so i do like to read what others think and tell my mates down the pub and pretend they my own .  you started supporting allblacks 53 , is that before or after Wales  beat you in that year Very Happy 
Crying or Very sad that's a ridiculously long time for a last win . .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Listened to both Cardiff and Wales on the wireless,don`t think it was televised BBC didn`t
cover much Rugby even in 1963 .Wales were the AB`s bogey team then.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:54 pm

nganboy wrote:For those of you interested in people swapping teams that they support
When I was just a young fella that didn't know anything about rugby I saw my dad watching a team with red and white playing a team all dressed in black.
I was a bit disappointed that the team in black kept winning and told my dad so. He gave me a quick whack on the head and explained the difference between the Lions and the All Blacks.
Ever since then I have supported the All Blacks - about 37 years so far vs about 1 hour for the Lions.

Very Happy 
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:49 am

Always enjoy your posts Alan.
And if Im ever in need of a chat about Vic Cavanagh (Snr or Jnr) I always
know that you are good for a reply.
Enjoy game tomorrow.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down