The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most pleasant surprises for you so far

+7
crazy_dave23
thunder and lightning
The Mangler US_UK
TM Moot
BamBam
Good Golly I'm Olly
sodhat
11 posters

Go down

Most pleasant surprises for you so far Empty Most pleasant surprises for you so far

Post by sodhat Tue 15 Oct 2013, 2:23 pm

I was pondering earlier how pleasantly I've been surprised in some aspects by my team this season. It doesn't have to be about your team, you could be a 'Skins fan that is pleasantly surprised that the Giants are 0-6, or a fantasy football fan pleasantly surprised by a sleeper pick.

For me, I have two:

1. Raiders defense. We're actually playing some defense this season, and we've somehow created a pass rush after putting 3 new D lineman out. Hayden looks like he's improving week to week (and he isn't afraid to tackle which was a fear of mine), Woodson is still creating plays and Lamarr Houston is transitioning brilliantly to RE.

2. Terelle Pryor. We've got someone who makes it interesting to watch the Raiders again. Flynn was turgid and the terrible O line means no run game of note so Pryor's ability managed to grab us two wins. Probably two more than most expected us to get, and we've hung in against the Colts and Chiefs in defeat too.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Most pleasant surprises for you so far Empty Re: Most pleasant surprises for you so far

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:04 pm

Pats wise;

1. Defence. Where on earth has it come from?!?! I mean the Saints game, we had zero pass rush, yet we kept Brees to under 50% completion. I'm worried about injuries, but if we stay healthy I seriously like what's happening here. Talib has just been a monster.

2. I kind of like that we're 5-1, yet we haven't played great. We just seem to know how to pull out the win this year. I'm beginning to get quietly confident you know.

On a wider basis, I just love watching Andrew Luck play, that performance against Seattle was something else. And I like what Kansas are doing, Alex Smith proving me wrong
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Most pleasant surprises for you so far Empty Re: Most pleasant surprises for you so far

Post by BamBam Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:29 pm

Alex Smith has just been what he is, a very good game manager who will win games with a strong running game, top defence and skill players who can make things happen after the catch.

Once we get to January, I expect him to struggle against a team who can lock down his receivers and stop Charles. He isn't going to win a game by making difficult throws to covered receivers

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:46 pm

As a Packers fan, i'm pleased we now have 3 RB's with over 100 yards (after 40odd games without!) and the D looks nastier (loved the 4th down goal line stand against the Ravens)

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Tue 15 Oct 2013, 7:27 pm

The Honey Badger staying out of trouble and being a real playmaker as a rookie has been a pleasant surprise after so many teams passed on him for his off the field issues.

Also pleased that our D has been playing well after Horton left -- now just need to get the offense going.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by thunder and lightning Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:12 pm

Titans:

Pleasantly surprised by our whole defence, but in particular our pass rush and Verner, they are really stepping out for us, making turnovers, scoring points and keeping us in games we have no right to be in with our offence.

Pleasantly surprised by Jake Locker. He really did appear to making progress, which I was dubious about before the season started, and for a guy with his type of character I really do hope he gets back from his injury and picks up where he left off.

Pleasantly surprised with the low number of penalties this season going against us, it really is a credit to our coaching staff and the work done in the offseason that we went from one of the highest offenders (the highest?) to one of the lowest.

Fantasy:

Pleasantly surprised by the good year Julius Thomas is having for the Broncos as I picked him up as a free agent in all 4 leagues that I play Smile

thunder and lightning

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:22 pm

What surprises me this year is that it doesn't seem so predictable... i like it

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:50 am

I think Mike Glennon has been a pleasant surprise for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It wasn't exactly the greatest situation he has come into but he has played well and been consistent. He has thrown 8 TDs 3 INT has a passer rate of over 80 and a completion rate over 60% which are both higher than that of EJ Manuel and Geno Smith.

He may not have the explosive running game of his peers but seems to have a nice passing game. It will be interesting to see what the Buccaneers do in the draft, and a lot will depend upon their coaching situation, but I could see them sticking with Glennon next year and maybe looking at someone like Clowney.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:30 pm

Surprised how/at:

1) Skins still in with a chance as the rest of the division stinks.
2) the number of teams that have just fallen off the cliff face - Steelers, Buccs, Jags, Giants Vikings.
3) so many young passers are not sinking after being thrown in at the deep end, such as Glennon, Smith, Pryor, Manuel/Tuel, Keenan. 10 years ago that would never happen - more pro style offense in CFB?
4) badly the Hawks mugged the 49ers. Then surprised how badly they have played since and still won!
5) That the Bronco's are so potent on offense but are 2nd in their division and currently fighting for a wildcard. Won't be surprised if that changes soon!
6) I'm sitting at sitting top of my division and 2nd overall rank in the East, given that RGIII stinks every other game and I only have one marquee RB. Plus half my team is off waivers.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:46 pm

I must admit I've been surprised at Glennon so far. He's not lighting it up, but he's been solid, whereas I thought he'd fall flat on his face.

Still think the Bucs need to go QB first round tho
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:35 pm

Glennon has been really good, considering no one thought he would do anything other than suck.

If the Buccs are in position to take Bridgewater/Mariotta/whoever the top qbs are, I think they have to do it, tough on Glennon but I think he might have shown enough to be a possible trade target for mid level teams who need a qb

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:36 pm

skins4ever wrote:Surprised how/at:
3) so many young passers are not sinking after being thrown in at the deep end, such as Glennon, Smith, Pryor, Manuel/Tuel, Keenan. 10 years ago that would never happen - more pro style offense in CFB?
Plenty of young guys have come in and had impressive starts; not many have been able to maintain that/get better in the years after. And it's quite the opposite, namely more spread stuff in the NFL. Half those guys probably never took a snap under center in college.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Sun 29 Dec 2013, 8:48 am

For the bears it has to be the improvement in our offence. Unfortunately there seems to have been a rapide decline in our defence which is shocking!!! If we can get both working well who knows what we could achieve?
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down