The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shortlist Announced for Fans’ Player and World XV of the Year Awards

+20
Cyril
Mad for Chelsea
Taylorman
fa0019
Jhamer25
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
funnyExiledScot
lostinwales
nganboy
BigTrevsbigmac
VietGwentRevisited
alive555
doctor_grey
whocares
majesticimperialman
Hound of Harrow
aucklandlaurie
blackcanelion
maestegmafia
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shortlist Announced for Fans’ Player and World XV of the Year Awards - Page 2 Empty Shortlist Announced for Fans’ Player and World XV of the Year Awards

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:02 am

First topic message reminder :

Fans can, from today, start voting for their own International Player of the Year and World XV of the Year following the release of a 45-strong shortlist of contenders. To view the full media release please Click Here

http://www.irpa-rugby.com/shortlist-announced-for-fans-player-and-world-xv-of-the-year-awards/

World ranked No.1 New Zealand has the most entries with 15 players, followed by Wales (8), South Africa (6), France (4), Argentina, Samoa (3), Australia, Ireland (2), England, Italy, Fiji (1).

The shortlist for the Fans’ Player and World XV of the Year awards (in order of playing position) is:

Vincent Debaty (Fr), Alex Corbiseiro (Eng), Marcos Ayerza (Arg)
Bismarck Du Plessis (SA), Benjamin Kayser (Fr), Richard Hibbard (Wales)
Juan Figallo (Arg), Adam Jones (Wales), Census Johnston (Samoa)
Sam Whitelock (NZ), Eben Eztebeth (SA), Joe Tekori (Samoa)
James Horwill (Aus), Brodie Retallick (NZ), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)
Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (Arg), Louis Picomoles (Fr), Liam Messam (NZ)
Sean O’Brien (Ire), Richie McCaw (NZ), Francois Louw (SA)
Kieran Read (NZ), Sergio Parisse (Italy), Toby Faletau (Wales)
Kahn Fotuali’l (Samoa), Aaron Smith (NZ), Will Genia (Aus),
10. Dan Carter (NZ), Johnny Sexton (Ire), Aaron Cruden (NZ)

11. George North (Wales), Julian Savea (NZ), Sitiveni Sivivatu (NZ)

12. Jamie Roberts (Wales), Ma’a Nonu (NZ), Jean DeVilliers (SA)

13. Wesley Fofana (Fr), Jonathan Davies (Wales), Conrad Smith (NZ)

14. Israel Folau (Aus), Ben Smith (NZ), Napolioni Nalaga (Fiji)

15. Willie Le Roux (SA), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales) Israel Dagg (NZ).

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Shortlist Announced for Fans’ Player and World XV of the Year Awards - Page 2 Empty Re: Shortlist Announced for Fans’ Player and World XV of the Year Awards

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:12 pm

Never going to agree with you or Gats on this MM
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Shortlist Announced for Fans’ Player and World XV of the Year Awards - Page 2 Empty Re: Shortlist Announced for Fans’ Player and World XV of the Year Awards

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:13 pm

I'd have him above all the open sides you've named
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:14 pm

Every day of every week. He's always fit too which helps
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:39 pm

CJ mate you have every right to hold him in such high esteem but those creating this poll and many others disagree.

Should England win something of note, the Six Nations or RWC, or Quins win the HEC I am sure his stock will rise...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:39 pm

doctor_grey wrote:List must be in error. Didn't see my name listed at inside centre.  Suppose I would give my vote there to JDV.
I and many others would probably have you in there before Jaime Roberts Rolling Eyes

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:42 pm

If Quins win the HEC from this position, i think i'll die of happy astonishment
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:47 pm

Engine#4 wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:List must be in error. Didn't see my name listed at inside centre.  Suppose I would give my vote there to JDV.
I and many others would probably have you in there before Jaime Roberts Rolling Eyes
Roberts seems to make 'best player' polls regardless of whether he's injured, played for 10 minutes or was actually in surgery when the game in question was being played. He's got a brilliant agent.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 15 Nov 2013, 8:37 am

fa0019 wrote:is this just going to be one big popularity contest? i.e. who has the biggest fan base.

I recall when Wembley was being built they wanted to name one of the stands after a famous wembley moment so they asked for a fan vote... Scottish fans got wind of it and the entire nation voted for slim jims antics in 67. I think they got the most votes (vote was cancelled). Or so I understand???

I wonder how many non English speaking fans will be able to take part. Even if a chap from Samoa was the best in his position in the world the fact he would have only 100,000 odd people voting for him would probably see someone else nick the award.

Better if it comes from a panel IMO.

Who voted for these players anyhow... Svivatu???
But the list came from a panel anyway.
Anyway I can't vote because I don't have a smartphone.
So players likely to win will come from a country that is English speaking, has a large fan base and whose fan base is reasonably well off. Surely the only country which fits that bill is England. IT's RIGGED I SAY, RIGGED!!!!!
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:15 am

nganboy wrote:
fa0019 wrote:is this just going to be one big popularity contest? i.e. who has the biggest fan base.

I recall when Wembley was being built they wanted to name one of the stands after a famous wembley moment so they asked for a fan vote... Scottish fans got wind of it and the entire nation voted for slim jims antics in 67. I think they got the most votes (vote was cancelled). Or so I understand???

I wonder how many non English speaking fans will be able to take part. Even if a chap from Samoa was the best in his position in the world the fact he would have only 100,000 odd people voting for him would probably see someone else nick the award.

So players likely to win will come from a country that is English speaking, has a large fan base and whose fan base is reasonably well off. Surely the only country which fits that bill is England. IT's RIGGED I SAY, RIGGED!!!!!
It would be good to see your impartial selection, even if you are unable to vote...!

Always far more interesting to read posters opinions on players rather than the validity of the polling...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:22 am

Halfpenny
B Smith
C Smith (Fofana at 13 is ridiculous by the panel, even though he has played there for France, he would be my 12 by a mile)
JdV
North (just over Savea)
Cruden
A Smith
Read
Louw
Lobbe (I prefer him at 8, but then I could say the same about both other options at 6, strange considering how its meant to have so much depth as a position! Pickles is outright a pure 8. )
Etzebeth
Rettalick (would easily be Whitelock in always stupid format of voting)
Jones
BdP
Ayerza, but actually easily should be Domingo
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:31 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Halfpenny
B Smith
C Smith (Fofana at 13 is ridiculous by the panel, even though he has played there for France, he would be my 12 by a mile)
JdV
North (just over Savea)
Cruden
A Smith
Read
Louw
Lobbe (I prefer him at 8, but then I could say the same about both other options at 6, strange considering how its meant to have so much depth as a position! Pickles is outright a pure 8. )
Etzebeth
Rettalick (would easily be Whitelock in always stupid format of voting)
Jones
BdP
Ayerza, but actually easily should be Domingo
I am pleased to see another quality rugby pundit recognise the talents of Argentinas Lobbe as a backrower. He is a world class player who makes a massive difference to the pumas.

He is their Sergio Parisse.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sat 16 Nov 2013, 9:02 am

maestegmafia wrote:
nganboy wrote:

It would be good to see your impartial selection, even if you are unable to vote...!

Always far more interesting to read posters opinions on players rather than the validity of the polling...!
I don't know enough about all of those players to select tbh. Most of the tight 5 I've barely ever seen play so no point in me voting even if I could. You guys must be just far more efficent than me because with two little kids I only have time for about 2 games per week so just can't keep up. I support Wellington Lions and the Hurricanes and get to thier games when they are in Wellington and we get 1 test a year here. Other than that may be watch 1 game on tv per week and catch the ABs test. If I'm lucky I can sneak in time for highlights of RC or 6N and highlights of a couple of AI but that's it. Without watching each player for at least 3/5 games this year I can't see how I could compare most of them. eg I saw highlights of the Lions matches and 1/2 Penny looked good but that's all I can remember seeing him play - how can I compare him to Dagg who I have seen about 10 times full games and 3/4 highlights of. Of course I will go for Dagg because he's what I know.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2