The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

State of Affairs

+7
milkyboy
Haito
hogey
Rowley
Mr Bounce
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
mobilemaster8
11 posters

Go down

State of Affairs Empty State of Affairs

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 12:53 pm

So, after the recent announcement from the Haye camp, we are in am unfortunate position in terms of Heavyweight prowess:

David Price - Knocked out twice by Tony....at 30+ years old, what can he go on to achieve?

Derek Chisora - Divisional gatekeeper that seems to fall short at World Level. Only knocked out once in his career having fought Vitali, Haye, Helenius etc. Can he push the extra mile?

Towers. - Blasted out in his last fight. Looked seriously out of his depth and was just outclassed and out punched. Where can he ho from that?

Tyson Fury - The loud mouthed average boxer from gypsy decent has been in some good scraps. Was decked by Cunningham, the cruiser, in his last outing and won via a forearm punch. Decked by a barman from Canada and generally looms foolish when in the ring. Contains decent power with a glass jawline. Can that prevent his pursuit to the top? Or could his brash attitude let him down, along with his chin?

Anthony Joshua - Too early to tell, but the signs are all there. Well built, natural power and most importantly......A JAB!! hope he keeps on the ground and does well, could be a top top fighter.

Hughie Fury - Very active this past 18 month having racked up over 12 fights already. Decent operator from what it appears, average power but still to be chin checked. Will he turn out like his big cousin Tyson in that department? Seems level headed and nice guy out the ring which is a breath of fresh air considering his relations.

Cant see any hope with any but maybe Joshua at the moment.

If you chucked Towers, Chis, Tyson, Price in with Arreola, Wilder, Helenius, Pulev now...they all get beaten badly.

Is Joshua the next best thing? Is he the only hope you see?

Cant see anyone if the above grabbing a title anytime soon, unless its a "Quigg" title.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

State of Affairs Empty Re: State of Affairs

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 18 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

Well once Vitali finally gets his WBC belt taken away, which should have been ages ago then I reckon we are going to have a whole host of entertainment in this division. Not one of the names mentioned are good enough to rule the WBC belt so plenty of changing hands to go on with the belt.

Ok the guys aren't top level, but who cares. They will all end up fighting eachother at some point which will be great to see.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

Would like to see winner of Price vs Chisora fighting Pulev/Stiverne.

Would like....sorry.....LOVE to see Fury vs Wilder.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 18 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

Stiverne should fight for the vacant belt when it comes up. He's been waiting long enough. Hope he gets a decent opponent though.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Nov 2013, 1:25 pm

Never thought I would say this but in terms of the guys likely to make an impact in the next 12 to 18 months Chisora looks the most likely. Joshua is way to early in his career to be part of the conversation at this point. Think you have to have serious doubts about Price’s ability at the top level as he represents an absolutely huge rebuilding job and one does have to wonder about his fragility both mentally and physically.

As for Fury I am and have always been something of a Furosceptic and remain as such. Fairly limited power, questionable whiskers and shows a worrying inability to stick to a gameplan or settle on a style as a fighter. As I mentioned of the rest Chisora looks most likely. Does not do any one thing spectacularly well but seems to have really knuckled down of late and has shifted some timber which was extremely necessary, do worry if he has enough power but he does have a chin and if his commitment holds no reason he cannot make an impact once Vitali makes his seemingly impending and inevitable exit.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Nov 2013, 1:29 pm

Sad state of affairs when Chisora v Fury is the fight to settle who is the best British HW out there.

Even sadder when you think it's likely to be Chisora.

Oh well

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:12 pm

Think Joshua is the big hope for an English Heavyweight to win the title a few years from now, that said at the moment a fully fit, focused and motivated Chisora can still make an impact at World level and at his best i would still back him to beat all the other Domestic fighters mentioned. I would love to see the Chisora of his last fight in the ring with Fury because i think it would be a very different result with Fury getting stopped.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Mon 18 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm

Early days for Joshua yet as he is yet to be really tested but I think he has the power and attributes to really go far. Im looking forward to the next 12 months of his progress. Chisora is looking more complete now he has improved his conditioning, Maybe good enough to nick a title but never going to dominate.

Fury, well is Fury, Only a matter of time before he gets beaten though for me.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:25 pm

When fit, chisora is a decent fighter. Not exceptional but decent, in a post k2 era he has a chance of sneaking a belt. Hard to get excited though.

Joshua looks to have a good chance, though its too early to say much more than that. And fury is, err tysonesque.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:32 pm

On Hughie I would slightly disagree Milky. It's too early to really tell but there are signs Hughie has better fundamentals than Tyson.

On the general point I think we know enough about the current UK heavies to know none of the contenders look truly world class.

We will just have to wait and see if Joshua and Hughie have what it takes to really make the big time.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:47 pm

Joshua is the only one I think could become a really good heavyweight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Mon 18 Nov 2013, 11:26 pm

Before I start I have to admit I've only watched one of Hughie's fights in full, but have to say from that alone I can't see were any of the hype is coming from. Looked slow and cumbersome, easy to hit and lacking power.

Honestly can't see him going anywhere beyond Euro level at very best. Though maybe I just seen him on an off night.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Tue 19 Nov 2013, 7:32 am

Alan I seen most of his fights and I feel the same way, don't understand the build up of him ATM, but hopefully he does get to world level as that's were I would like to see and british fighter get to, it's good for the casual fan to get interested.

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down