The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Animal Lovers

+20
Galted
lostinwales
offload
Cyril
Nachos Jones
kingjohn7
MMaaxx
Looseheaded
TJ
Scratch
RDSguru
belovedfrosties
whocares
Barney McGrew did it
ChequeredJersey
Mr Fishpaste
funkymonkey
Biltong
aucklandlaurie
alive555
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Animal Lovers - Page 2 Empty Animal Lovers

Post by alive555 Sat 23 Nov 2013, 6:25 am

First topic message reminder :

This is pretty out of order

Animal Lovers - Page 2 1b63aca48eac49849afa35ab429e1014

alive555

Back to top Go down

Animal Lovers - Page 2 Empty Re: Animal Lovers

Post by alive555 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 8:35 am

belovedfrosties wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Folks,
I avoided the thread because it seemed a place where emotions would run.  But having read this, I am mistaken and it is a credit to everyone that disagreements and opinions were shared in a respectful manner.  It is threads like this which is why I like and enjoy the people on 606v2.   Some day if we have the chance or good luck to meet, the first one is on me.

There are really so many points here that it is hard to comment.  I don't hunt and I really, really don't like guns.  But I have friends who do hunt and I suppose it is something not for me.  

I also understand how hunting to certain limits does keep animal herd populations at manageable levels.  Overpopulation leading to more unfortunate contact with people and eventual starving of the populations.  Living here in northern New Jersey, it is extremely rare for a week to go by without seeing a deer corpse on the side of the road.  Everyone here has either has hit a deer or knows someone who has.  Deer hunts help reduce the number of deer in more populated areas.  We also have brown/black bear.  Don't see them so much, maybe a half-dozen to a dozen times per year, but overpopulation drives them to more populated areas and more danger of accidents.  So I get the need for hunting, but as I said, just not for me.  I can only imagine how living in areas where there is more contact with more different species could lead to more problems.  

I do like the Darwinian aspect of hunting animals armed with only with nature's own gifts and not with man-made weapons.  Probably the only type of hunting appropriate for people like Bachman and Palin.  Idiots and somewhat dangerous ones at that.
Again, some valid points in this but the key point is that no animals will ever become overpopulated (and stay that way) in an ecosystem without human interference.  The high numbers of deer that need to be culled are normally due to the human population killing native predators (like wolves) due to the claim that they kill livestock.  FYI, they don't, there have been numerous studies that show that livestock losses are negligible and easily covered by the farmers insurance and that if the predators main prey species is in reasonable supply they will ignore other species.  I highly doubt that the bear species is overpopulated (i could be wrong, but it is very rarely the case), whats more likely is local habitat destruction/degradation/hunting has removed their main food source so they have had to leave their normal habitat to find food and wandered into town where there is an abundance of leftovers.  This is why you often see them scavenging around rubbish sites, food is just so much easier to find there than in the wild.

This  reminds me of a story i once heard about a women in Montana (i think) who was concerned for the wild horse population.  She explained how every year there wasn't enough food for the population so she and others would have to go and put food out there so they wouldn't starve to death.  This had gone on for years until the population had become so large as to be unmanageable.  Her solution to this was to find a predator that would kill horses.  So she looked around the world for other members of the equine family and what ate them and stumbled across zebra and had her eureka moment.  Yes, this woman wanted to introduce a LION population into Montana to control the horse population that would have controlled itself, had it not been for this fool of a woman feeding them every year.  

Nature has done a remarkable job of managing itself for millions of years, it's man that screws it up and we should leave nature to nature as much as we can, wherever we can.
bang on the money. best post ive ever read here well done 10/10 clap 

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 27 Nov 2013, 8:50 am

Well its a bit harsh calling her a fool of a woman, she was just trying to be nice. Foolish and naive yes but not a fool.

however it would have still eventually controlled itself anyway , just stop feeding them. Bingo job done.. No need to bring alien species in- which becomes the major problem

That reminds me - i need to get a gun to control the 100's of parrots that live in my garden

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:16 am

It gets out of control quite easily.

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly...

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:23 am

Why did she do that, Cyril?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

I don't know why she did that, Galted.

Perhaps she'll die.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:40 am

I guess she had better take something to deal with the fly then

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 27 Nov 2013, 12:06 pm

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:34 pm

[quote="belovedfrosties] Again, some valid points in this but the key point is that no animals will ever become overpopulated (and stay that way) in an ecosystem without human interference.  The high numbers of deer that need to be culled are normally due to the human population killing native predators (like wolves) due to the claim that they kill livestock.  FYI, they don't, there have been numerous studies that show that livestock losses are negligible and easily covered by the farmers insurance and that if the predators main prey species is in reasonable supply they will ignore other species.  I highly doubt that the bear species is overpopulated (i could be wrong, but it is very rarely the case), whats more likely is local habitat destruction/degradation/hunting has removed their main food source so they have had to leave their normal habitat to find food and wandered into town where there is an abundance of leftovers.  This is why you often see them scavenging around rubbish sites, food is just so much easier to find there than in the wild.

Nature has done a remarkable job of managing itself for millions of years, it's man that screws it up and we should leave nature to nature as much as we can, wherever we can.[/quote]
This is completely true. However, the problem in most of the world, is that humans have already done irreversible damage. In fact our mere presence excludes most big game from their natural habitat. So given that animals are restricted to limited areas, conservationists have to cull to maintain the balance within those areas. Many species of African game would natural have very large ranges, and many of them were once migratory. Because their range is now limited, their natural behavioural patterns have been altered. Hence if left to their own devices, within the confines of a park, they would not be able to maintain the inter-species balance - hence human intervention is necessary to compensate for the original human intrusion.

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:24 pm

Mr Fishpaste wrote:
\"belovedfrosties wrote: Again, some valid points in this but the key point is that no animals will ever become overpopulated (and stay that way) in an ecosystem without human interference.  The high numbers of deer that need to be culled are normally due to the human population killing native predators (like wolves) due to the claim that they kill livestock.  FYI, they don't, there have been numerous studies that show that livestock losses are negligible and easily covered by the farmers insurance and that if the predators main prey species is in reasonable supply they will ignore other species.  I highly doubt that the bear species is overpopulated (i could be wrong, but it is very rarely the case), whats more likely is local habitat destruction/degradation/hunting has removed their main food source so they have had to leave their normal habitat to find food and wandered into town where there is an abundance of leftovers.  This is why you often see them scavenging around rubbish sites, food is just so much easier to find there than in the wild.

Nature has done a remarkable job of managing itself for millions of years, it's man that screws it up and we should leave nature to nature as much as we can, wherever we can.
This is completely true. However, the problem in most of the world, is that humans have already done irreversible damage. In fact our mere presence excludes most big game from their natural habitat.  So given that animals are restricted to limited areas, conservationists have to cull to maintain the balance within those areas. Many species of African game would natural have very large ranges, and many of them were once migratory. Because their range is now limited, their natural behavioural patterns have been altered. Hence if left to their own devices, within the confines of a park, they would not be able to maintain the inter-species balance - hence human intervention is necessary to compensate for the original human intrusion.
Agreed fishpaste, but as i stated in the part you highlighted (admittedly i didn't word it particularly clearly) the need for human intervention is only required due to our original intervention messing things up. Nature parks create closed systems, which are no good for the entire ecosystem but unfortunately a necessity for the protection of many species in this day and age.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:44 pm

It is human nature to control nature but eventually we will reap what we have sown.

One of the best examples of the sensitivity of the ecosystem is that after the reintroduction of wolves in Yellowstone, the beaver population increased again and landowners starting demanding wolves be culled to stop beaver dams.

When the wolves disappeared a particular species of prey animal - not sure which one but a type of deer - had spent less time being hunted and more time eating the specific sapling type plant that the beavers used to make their dams

Once the wolves came back the deer were chased more and ate less and the beavers had more saplings. More dams mean't more disruption to water supplies and the wolves got the blame again. Always the wolves fault.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:47 pm

South Africa has 19 National Parks, two of which is combined efforts between us Namibia and Botswana, it comprises over 7 million hectares of protected land for fauna and flora, this does not include the private reserves in South Africa.

That totals 70 000 square kilometers of nature and wildlife reserves.

I reckon we do our bit for conservation.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 8:41 am

This is whats happening on Botswana Private reserves all in the name of conservation. nope 

Typical hunter going to Botswana for Trophy hunting. Pays to kill. This time elephants.

wtf do u need to travel half way round the world to kill a lovely animal such as this ? unless your a deranged murderer.

The guy is certifiable.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/slam/sports/nbc-sports-network-cancels-outdoor-show/

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:36 am

So I take it you are totally against hunting?

Do you condone the slaughter of animals to eat?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:37 am

Van Damme was in a film where they hunt humans (Hard Target?). Imagine bringing down Jason Leonard, that would be akin to a hippo surely?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 11:46 am

this sums it up

Animal Lovers - Page 2 488371_376602779075976_385005630_n

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:25 pm

alive555 wrote:This is whats happening on Botswana Private reserves all in the name of conservation. nope 

Typical hunter going to Botswana for Trophy hunting. Pays to kill. This time elephants.

wtf do u need to travel half way round the world to kill a lovely animal such as this ? unless your a deranged murderer.

The guy is certifiable.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/slam/sports/nbc-sports-network-cancels-outdoor-show/
Alive, I think you may have an overly romanticised view of what life in Africa should be all about. Sure, one may object to the killing of animals for entertainment (I have no problem with you on this point) but the truth is, the people of Botswana or South Africa are not going to sit and let vast swathes of land lie just to protect the animals. It has to be economically viable....or else, as I've said before, the land will be turned to cattle farming.

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:26 pm

Biltong wrote:South Africa has 19 National Parks, two of which is combined efforts between us Namibia and Botswana, it comprises over 7 million hectares of protected land for fauna and flora, this does not include the private reserves in South Africa.

That totals 70 000 square kilometers of nature and wildlife reserves.

I reckon we do our bit for conservation.
...the Kruger park is bigger than Wales! (You see you can even bring wales into a debate about hunting)

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2