The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How far do you live from the nearest stadium/arena?

+39
Portnoy's Complaint
ScarletSpiderman
Mickado
dubh_linn
PenfroPete
dallym
KiaRose
Geordie
flankertye
Poorfour
Hound of Harrow
B91212
lostinwales
SuperGuinness69
Breadvan
yappysnap
Shifty
doctor_grey
Notch
Blueschief
Cari
aucklandlaurie
Cumbrian
The Fourth Lion
Looseheaded
nganboy
Biltong
GLove39
Pal Joey
quinsforever
Swperb
HammerofThunor
Gibson
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
whocares
rodders
GunsGerms
Welsh Magician
hbk48942
43 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How far do you live from the nearest stadium/arena?   Empty How far do you live from the nearest stadium/arena?

Post by hbk48942 Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:50 pm

it can be your current home or an old home that you used to live in but what is the closest stadium or arena to your house?

mine is the Reebok Stadium and i live about 6 miles away from that.but there is a non league ground about a 10 minutes drive away from me.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

How far do you live from the nearest stadium/arena?   Empty Re: How far do you live from the nearest stadium/arena?

Post by Welsh Magician Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:15 am

Well there are stadia everywhere, one just 500 yards from my house for example. If you mean a top class stadium then it would have to be 15-20 minutes drive to the liberty.

Welsh Magician

Back to top Go down

How far do you live from the nearest stadium/arena?   Empty Re: How far do you live from the nearest stadium/arena?

Post by GunsGerms Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:41 am

RDS. 10 min cycle. Landsdowne 15 minutes. Croke park 30 minutes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:15 pm

The Aviva 4 hrs drive.
Ravenhill 1.5 -2 hrs drive.
COD RFC 5 min drive!  king
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:41 pm

10 minute bus ride to see ROG give good kicking advice to Sexton :/

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:45 pm

whocares wrote:10 minute bus ride to see ROG give good kicking advice to Sexton :/

Both have a bit of work to do.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Sandy Park is about 20miles from me; the local ground would be Cullompton's Stafford Park at 5 miles away

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Amsterdam Arena is but a few Metro stops from me. And the home of the World famous Amsterdam Heineken 7's, Sportpark de Eendracht,  is within spitting distance.  

If ye ever get the chance to go, do it. Its a blast. The rugby is great as well.

http://www.amsterdamsevens.com/Start
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:16 pm

I used to live about 500 yards from St Helens in Swansea. Now the closest grounds are:

Closest - Hull RUFC Hull Sports Centre 4 miles.
Closest Pro - Castle Park, Doncaster Knights 45 miles
Closest Premiership - Salford City Stadium, Sale Sharks 99 miles
Kingston Park, Newcastle Falcons 114 miles
Welford Road, Leicester Tigers 114 miles

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Swperb Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Internationals
Aviva Stadium 90 miles
Millennium Stadium 273 miles
Twickenham 288 miles
Murrayfield 308 miles

Nearest professional Rugby Club / Region / Province:

RDS Arena 89 miles
AJ Bell Stadium (Sale) 107 miles
Park y Scarlets 163 miles
Swperb
Swperb

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Gibson wrote:Amsterdam Arena is but a few Metro stops from me. And the home of the World famous Amsterdam Heineken 7's, Sportpark de Eendracht,  is within spitting distance.  

If ye ever get the chance to go, do it. Its a blast. The rugby is great as well.

http://www.amsterdamsevens.com/Start
my triathlon career seems to have prematurely come to an end Gibbo, so maybe Amsterdam and 7s in may could go some way to kicking the summer of in style?

is the rugby any good?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:12 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
whocares wrote:10 minute bus ride to see ROG give good kicking advice to Sexton :/

Both have a bit of work to do.
haha. maybe if the IRFU made ROG the worlds best paid waterboy instead of jenkins, then they would have deservedly broken their duck vs ABs.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Since I moved earlier this year.
I can see the roof of the Olympic (ANZ) Stadium from my front yard - about 2.2km away.
SCG is about 18km from here. It used to be only 2.5 km away when I was living in the city.
Parramatta Stadium - about 6km from here.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:24 pm

About 3 miles to Pittodrie, although rugby matches their are rather infrequent, maybe 1 international every other year or so if we're lucky.

Then there's Murrayfield which is about 126 miles away.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Ellispark is about 25 minutes drive from my house.

Loftus is just over an hour from my house
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:11 pm

I can see Westpac Stadium (the Caketin) in Wellington from my house. It takes under an hour to walk there.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:30 am

40 minute walk to Memorial Ground (Bristol Rovers FC and Bristol Rugby). Formerly from Twickenham so used to having four or five good size grounds within a very short drive.

Living so close to HQ had drawbacks such as hearing crowd cheers 30 seconds before seeing it on TV, giving away surprise tries and interceptions to a degree.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:33 am

Our local club is a twenty minute walk from my house.  It's a nice little place in the manner of a traditional English rugby club.  You know the sort of place...... the team play on park pitches...... the club house has been renovated with the help of a lottery grant in recent years..... they make most of their money from bar sales on disco and band nights and a bit of sponsorship from local businesses.   It's a friendly place and the team even made it to Twickers in 2002 for the Powergen Intermediate Cup Final.  A good day out even though the team were beaten.  We won the third half, though.

Nearest Premiership club ground would be the Madstad, but Reading is a tortuous place to get in and out of, and around in.  Best avoided, particularly on a Saturday.  The wife and I were STH's at Harlequins for a decade or so, The hour and half drive up the M3 to The Stoop isn't too onerous and because of the close proximity to HQ, parking is plentiful.

We can get a direct line journey to Bath on the train from our local station, so we do that from time to time, just for a change.  The Me'm Sahib likes Bath for some reason best known to herself.  I don't mind as long as I can get a decent pint of Guinness in the bar.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:25 pm

I live about 5 minutes walk to the Basin Reserve where the NZ cricketers are finding a way to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:44 am

nganboy wrote:I live about 5 minutes walk to the Basin Reserve where the NZ cricketers are finding a way to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory.

I've played there.   Not cricket though.   I played rugby for my tour party on the 2005 Lions Tour against University Old Boys veterans.  OK, so it was only meant to be a beer match, but it actually turned into a pretty competitive game of rugby in the end.  Great fun.

Most impressed with Kiwis utilising the stadium for rugby matches during the winter months.  I would have loved to play cricket there, though.  

The Me'm Sahib was also most impressed that the main stand bar there was the only place we found in New Zealand that served Grouse whisky.  She made the most of the opportunity.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:47 pm

I live about a 2 minute walk from the Rec in Bath.  Cool 
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:11 am

15 minutes drive, 6 train stops from Eden Park.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Well I live about a 10/15 minute walk from Cardiff Arms Park and the Millennium Stadium to the east, and about five minutes or less walk from the cricket ground at Sophia Gardens (SWALEC Stadium). If you head in a South-West direction from my gaff, there's Cardiff City Football Stadium about another 15 minutes walk away. I walk fast mind, but there's always an abundance of buses and taxi's...  How far do you live from the nearest stadium/arena?   3513163098 

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:23 am

I live about 2 miles from Sandy Park, but own a house in Cardiff which is about a 20 min bus ride to the Mill/CAP etc. my two grown up lads still live in it

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:36 am

The closest to me is Windsor Park, home of Northern Irelands football team which is about 15 minutes walk. The stadium I actually go to is Ravenhill which is 30-40 minutes walk.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:30 am

Here in Jersey I am about 25 minutes from the Meadowlands where the Giants and Jets play American Football. About 45 minutes to Yankee Stadium.

At home I suppose (when we go back, if we live near me Dad) I would be about 25 minutes from Franklin's Gardens. About the same to Welford Road. If take a position in London, then not sure.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Croft Goch Playing Fields, Kenfig Hill RFC It's my back garden Smile
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Cranleigh Rugby Club about 10 mins by car.

Nearest pro side would be Quins or Irish at a guess, both nightmares to get to at times. Best part of 40mins to an hour by car or just over an hour by train with some fun changes along the way.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Roughly 5 miles over the top of Swansea to the Liberty. Nearest local club is about 1/4 mile walk to Dunvant Rfc.

Last edited by Breadvan on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperGuinness69 Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:17 pm

20 mins on the train to HQ Twickers!!

SuperGuinness69

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:45 pm

Working within 15 minutes walk to Edgely Park. Managed to start new job at the same time that Sale moved to the other side of Manchester...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Closest major professional sports stadium is the Saddledome where the Calgary Flames Iced Hockey team play their home games. Just over 90 miles from where we live.  

Closest amateur rugby is about 5 miles from where we live. As for closest professional rugby ground it's probably either Thomond Park or Galway Sportsgrounds, or maybe even the Scotstoun Stadium Glasgow seeing as the earth is in fact round*. Before we moved 'out west' Mrs B9's Dad lived about 11 miles from Franklin Gardens.

*edited to add curiosity got the better of me so I checked (isn't the t'interweb great for passing time at work?) and Galway is the closest, closer than Glasgow by 42 miles. Limerick is another 84 miles away which is a shame because I would rather they were my 'local' team if I had to choose one of the three Wink.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:01 am

B91212, I kind of get the sense that you live in the middle of no where! And what's an "Iced Hockey" team?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm about 4 miles from Wembley and about the same to Watford. Allianz Park is 5-6 miles away.

However, the current dilemma is trying to get to Bayonne for R5 of the Amlin and it ain't looking good.

mad

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:20 pm

yappysnap wrote:B91212, I kind of get the sense that you live in the middle of no where! And what's an "Iced Hockey" team?
Hi yappy, we actually live in one of the larger populated area's of Alberta after Calgary & Edmonton, but it's still small by UK standards. The major difference is all the space which is really noticeable when travelling between places, Alberta is over 2.5 times bigger than the UK with a population of about 3.9 million in comparison to the UK's 63+ million and counting. If you want to view any top sports or music around here other than rodeo then chances are you have to travel to the main two cities which both take us about 1.5 hours drive (traffic isn't an issue here!).

I originally started calling it 'Iced Hockey' to irritate some of the guys who I work with and it just stuck. As you probably know Ice Hockey is Canada'a wendyball equivalent and most people around here follow it but the Canadians refer to it as just Hockey and the grass version that we call 'Hockey' as 'Field Hockey'. They enjoyed correcting me when I called it ice hockey so I changed it to iced hockey on account of the fact it usually so damn cold (-30'c this morning).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:07 pm

I am less than a mile from Rosslyn Park, about 4 miles from Old Deer Park and Richmond Athletic Ground and about 5 from the Stoop and Twickenham. We regularly walk or cycle to all of them.

I have once managed to cycle, with Poorfour Jr in tow, to Allianz Park, but I am afraid I have no desire to do so again.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm currently in Blackburn, so my nearest football ground is obviously Ewood park. In terms of rugby, I'm guessing then Sale, back home in Suffolk I haven't a clue. Possibly Saracens/Quins

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:42 am

10 Mins to St James Park
20 mins to Gateshead international stadium
20 mins to Kingston Park.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:46 am

An hour and a half to the MS (and Cardiff Arms);
30 minutes to the Rec;
40 mins to the Memorial in Bristol;
About and hour and a half to Kingsholm;

But for preference:
About and hour and a half to Thomond (7 mins to Bristol Airport; hour flight; 20 mins to Thomond from Shannon Airport)

A bit longer to Lansdowne Road (it's further from Dublin Airport than Shannon to Thomond);

An hour or so to Musgrave Park;

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:28 pm

B91212 wrote:Closest major professional sports stadium is the Saddledome where the Calgary Flames Iced Hockey team play their home games. Just over 90 miles from where we live.  

Closest amateur rugby is about 5 miles from where we live. As for closest professional rugby ground it's probably either Thomond Park or Galway Sportsgrounds, or maybe even the Scotstoun Stadium Glasgow seeing as the earth is in fact round*. Before we moved 'out west' Mrs B9's Dad lived about 11 miles from Franklin Gardens.

*edited to add curiosity got the better of me so I checked (isn't the t'interweb great for passing time at work?) and Galway is the closest, closer than Glasgow by 42 miles. Limerick is another 84 miles away which is a shame because I would rather they were my 'local' team if I had to choose one of the three Wink.
You checked to see which ground is closest?  Or whether the world is in fact round?  

Based upon the current Euro Rugby trash bucket and the Welsh meltdown, I be thinkin the world might be kinda flattish or shaped somewhat like a turd.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:37 am

For me it'd be Eden Park. About 15minutes by car

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:02 pm

WELSH LEAGUE– Central Park, Llantwit Fardre – 1 mile

WELSH PREMIERSHIP – Sardis Road, Pontypridd – 4 miles

RABO – Cardifff Arms Park – 11 miles

INTERNATIONAL – Millennium Stadium – 11 miles
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by dubh_linn Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:10 pm

as a kid i lived in off bath avenue in dublin ...5 mins from lansdowne road...one of the reasons i got into rugby.

dubh_linn

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 am

About 5Km from the RDS and Aviva. I’ve walked it in about 45 mins, it’s a good jaunt!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Welsh Prem -: Carmarthen Quins 38.5 miles
Rabo -: Parc Y Scarlets 60.6 miles
International -: Millenium Stadium 105 miles
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:52 pm

60 miles to your home games!?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:58 pm

134 miles to Welford Rd, 121 to Franklins Gdns, 132 to the Stoop. Bedford 95 miles.

Allianz Park 95 miles (technically)  vomit 

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 pm

dubh_linn wrote:as a kid i lived in off bath avenue in dublin ...5 mins from lansdowne road...one of the reasons i got into rugby.

I lived there for a while too. Nice road and the Bath pub is a great spot.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:60 miles to your home games!?

It actually works out more because I take a good fifteen mile detour to my old mans on the way. That's why I get so up in arms when people saw about Neath/Swansea being west.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:38 pm

WEST IS BEST - in this case the "T"Ospreys Wink ...... Run
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next