The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations Irish Regions

+20
mystiroakey
Intotouch
propdavid_london
alive555
ulster_on_the_up
Nachos Jones
rodders
VinceWLB
geoff998rugby
Standulstermen
The Saint
nathan
Notch
Sin é
SecretFly
Feckless Rogue
Hound of Harrow
Brennus
theslosty
profitius
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Congratulations Irish Regions - Page 2 Empty Congratulations Irish Regions

Post by Guest Sun 08 Dec 2013, 7:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

This weekend's results for Irish regions in the HC:

Northampton 7 - 40 Leinster
Ulster 48 - 0 Treviso
Munster 36 - 8 Perpignan
Toulouse 14 - 16 Connacht

Aggregate: Irish regions 140 - 29 England/France/Italy

Someone (probably several people) said it earlier this weekend - that nearly-result against NZ seems to have injected something into the Irish regions. Will it transfer into next week too? Into the 6 nations? With Scotland up first at home you have to think on this form along with Joe Schmidt they will easily put them away and that would be good momentum Is this genuinely a new dawn for Irish rugby?

NOT a wum question - Ireland are my second team due to my dad having grown up there and him having a soft spot for them; though I don't go out of my way to support them I do like to see Irish victories if it ain't Scottish.

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Irish Regions - Page 2 Empty Re: Congratulations Irish Regions

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:46 pm

SecretFly wrote:We're Irish.  We've already moved on to the tragedy of next weekend in our minds Wink
The O'Ifs and the O'Buts clan gathering, Fly?

I bet the O'Wannabies gatecrash the party!

Wink

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:09 pm

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:

That loss could have broken some players but instead guys have returned to their provinces full of hunger and energy...maybe a coincidence though, but that finish to the Connacht's game was eerlly similar to Irelands with the ABs.

Funny you should say that because that was another point I was thinking about after the Connacht game but didn't want to mention it because it's kinda sacrilegious in rugby terms to even think it Wink.  

But I feel Schmidt might be involving himself in a few phone calls or casual meetings with Provincial coaches and offering snippits of advice - just as chat of course  Whistle - nothing official.  

But I think he might be on to Lam during the week too - or Lam might just seek a casual chat - nothing official! - with him.  Just some tet-a-tets on formations and some technical ideas that might help the lads along a little.  

He's there - he has no practical job to do when the guys are with their Provinces.  He won't get in the way of course or impose himself.  But he's a talker and he's absolutely addicted to the practical side of his job.  So I'd say he's lurking on the end of phone lines during these weeks.

Are you suggesting Fly that Schmidt will be chatting to Lam to ask how they did it? After all, Connacht (coached by lam) held out; Ierland (coached by Schmidt) didn't ... Wink 

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:20 pm

Maybe so, Kia...maybe so.  Wink

But the army seems to be uniting and circling the wagons.  "Let's discuss these issues and help each other out here.... for mutual benefits.  Kind of an extended Ireland coaching set-up.  There's three New Zealanders ...and an Aussie.  Nobody will talk to him of course! mad   But the rest of them........ Hug

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:22 pm

Besides, it was bloody Lam who advised the guys to always try to rush the kickers!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:25 pm

I think its become a bit of a mantra here that Super form does not dictate International form for both individuals and as an overall team. So Nonu and A Smith play pooh during the super season and then play well for the ABs. On the other hand Read and B Smith shine during the Super season and then take it up an notch again for the ABs. Chiefs win the Super 15 2 years running and just contribute 5/6 players to the AB squad which then wins everything this year. Hurricanes miss out on the Super 15 playoffs but contribute 6/7 players to the squad
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:28 pm

Sin é wrote:

Absolute nonsense. There is no way Joe Schmidt is phoning Rob Penney, Pat Lam or Anscombe to offer advice. I doubt if he would even 'advise' Matt O'Connor.

Far more likely that players like Darren Cave are really peed off that they were ignored for the AIs and have a point to prove.

Ah, I didn't see you there earlier, Sin é. Yep, you're one of the guys I expected the purist stuff from -

Well, no, not nonsense just something you'd never think about as you don't like thinking sacrilegious thoughts Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:30 pm

nganboy wrote:I think its become a bit of a mantra here that Super form does not dictate International form for both individuals and as an overall team. So Nonu and A Smith play pooh during the super season and then play well for the ABs. On the other hand Read and B Smith shine during the Super season and then take it up an notch again for the ABs.  Chiefs win the Super 15 2 years running and just contribute 5/6 players to the AB squad which then wins everything this year. Hurricanes miss out on the Super 15 playoffs but contribute 6/7 players to the squad

Well there is truth in that.  But there is also truth in just having the wrong coach at the wrong time for the wrong group of players - nothing misxing correctly in the right proportions.  For example Australia in recent times.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:55 pm

With Leinster, Ulster and probably Munster well on track for a home QF, it does look more and more like 2 seasons ago.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:26 pm

whocares wrote:With Leinster, Ulster and probably Munster well on track for a home QF, it does look more and more like 2 seasons ago.
Pending on no backlash, whocares.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2