The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HC, Pool 2, Round 4: RC Toulon vs Exeter Chiefs

+5
George Carlin
quinsforever
Hound of Harrow
Tattie Scones RRN
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
9 posters

Go down

HC, Pool 2, Round 4: RC Toulon vs Exeter Chiefs  Empty HC, Pool 2, Round 4: RC Toulon vs Exeter Chiefs

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:38 am

After the narrow loss to Toulon at Sandy Park, this weekend we journey to the mediterranean - and personally I can't wait. We certainly have the players and game plan to make things awkward for the reigning champions, but can we go one better and secure an unexpected win? The odds are stacked against us, but a certain Mr Wilkinson seems very aware of the threat that Exe pose: http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/VIDEO-Wilkinson-praises-magic-Chiefs-play-despite/story-20294493-detail/story.html

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

HC, Pool 2, Round 4: RC Toulon vs Exeter Chiefs  Empty Re: HC, Pool 2, Round 4: RC Toulon vs Exeter Chiefs

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 09 Dec 2013, 2:27 pm

As - I know this is the Toulon match thread but going slightly off topic.....

Are there any whisperings yet on which date the Chiefs v Glasgow game is?

Please be a Saturday <bigfatpraysmiley>

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

HC, Pool 2, Round 4: RC Toulon vs Exeter Chiefs  Empty Re: HC, Pool 2, Round 4: RC Toulon vs Exeter Chiefs

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 09 Dec 2013, 2:40 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:As - I know this is the Toulon match thread but going slightly off topic.....

Are there any whisperings yet on which date the Chiefs v Glasgow game is?

Please be a Saturday <bigfatpraysmiley>

Iain, Haven't heard a peep yet, but I will ask those in the know at the weekend when I bump into them in sunny Toulon's fine establishments OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:41 pm

Nice one pal, enjoy the match......and of course a few vin rouge d'maison's!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

As usual, some sensible words from Mr Baxter:

Exeter Chiefs 'very close' to Heineken Cup breakthrough

Exeter head coach Rob Baxter says his team are "very, very close" to making a breakthrough at Heineken Cup level.

The Chiefs, in their second season in the competition, pushed holders Toulon all the way on Saturday before falling to a 14-9 defeat.

"You don't tend to win the Heineken Cup in the first or second year you're in it," he told BBC Radio Devon.

"We're very, very close to some good teams and it's not the end of the world - it means sooner or later you win."

The defeat leaves the Chiefs - who did at least claim a closing bonus point at Sandy Park - in third place in Pool Two, and Baxter said his players now have to travel to the south of France next weekend and beat Toulon in the return fixture.

Baxter said "nothing else will do" after setting his side the target of taking five points from their back-to-back games against the reigning champions, who boast Jonny Wilkinson, Bryan Habana, Matt Giteau and Bakkies Botha in their star-studded side.

"I just hope this defeat doesn't hurt the players too much," he added.

"Physically they're giving a hell of a lot and not really getting the rewards they deserve. But it's little steps and you have to not overreact to wins and losses and make sure you see the game for what they really are."

Baxter said it was important to view the game in the context of the club's rapid rise to the elite of European rugby.

"I don't think we could have done much more in terms of attitude, endeavour and ambition," he said.

"We held the lead for long periods of the game and a lot of what we did held up very well but Toulon got a bit of a stranglehold on territory in the second half and that ultimately decided the game.

"What we have to do is to keep working on their skills and decision-making and working hard to become a better team because if we keep showing that attitude and endeavour and get the rugby in between 100% right then we'll be a very, very good side.

"That's the battle as you're trying to become a Heineken Cup team - lots of teams play Toulon and lose so we've got to make sure we react in the right manner and work on the things we genuinely can improve for next week.

"It feels hard to be critical of the players after what they've done. We asked them to be adventurous, to be brave and they were.

"Everyone will realise that we have to get our balance right in terms of when to kick and when to run. That's our battle and I don't mind that being our battle - I'd rather the battle was that we play too much, rather than we're afraid to play.

"We're not going to change from that kind of side. We're not going to start kicking everything and become a defensive side, that's not what we want to be as a team."

Chiefs youngsters Jack Nowell and Henry Slade, who came on at fly-half in place of the injured Gareth Steenson in the first half, both put in eye-catching performances and earned praise from Baxter.

"Henry Slade came on very early in the game and I think for a guy being pushed on at that stage, in a game of this magnitude and against that opposition, he did fantastically well," he added.

"Jack looked like a real momentum gainer and a real line-breaking threat for us. These guys are going to drive the club forward for a number of years."

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue 10 Dec 2013, 7:23 pm

I read Wilkinson's comments earlier. As I said on the first match thread, Chiefs were a couple or so blown opportunities away from a win.

Respecting possession of the ball, and a bit more awareness of what is on and Chiefs will eventually do well I am sure.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 10 Dec 2013, 7:41 pm

have a great weekend Asbo. very jealous. actually spent the last 20 minutes looking at flights then saw what my 6 months pregnant wife has put in my calendar without me noticing, and had to block all thoughts of going from my mind.

what a lovely part of the world.

may the force be with you.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Dec 2013, 8:29 am

Thanks, bud OK

From the E&E this morning:

Exeter Chiefs captain has no hang-ups ahead of journey to Stade Mayol for Toulon

Exeter Chiefs captain Dean Mumm believes blissful ignorance might just prove a deciding factor as his side embark on one of the toughest tasks in European rugby.

Following their 14-9 Heineken Cup defeat at the hands of the reigning champions at Sandy Park last Saturday, Chiefs must now win at Stade Mayol this weekend to remain in contention for the quarter-final places.

But, like Chiefs, Toulon rarely lose at home, and will be more than a little unwilling to cede ground on the sides below them, having just assumed top spot in Pool Two.

Mumm admits he is not exactly sure what to expect in Toulon – and there is a very good reason for that – but feels not knowing might just work in his side’s favour.

He said: “None of us have been there, which is a bonus. I don’t think any of the guys in the squad have played at Stade Mayol before. We’ve seen footage, we’ve heard stories, but it’s a brand-new experience for us.

“That does mean there’s no preconceptions and no mental scars or anything like that, just a massive opportunity for us.

“And Stade Mayol, against Toulon, it’s as good a test as you’ll get. What a huge opportunity to go there and experience everything that it is. But we’re also chasing points and chasing the win.”

Historical precedent and away disadvantage aside, few who witnessed the narrow defeat to Toulon would baulk at former Australia international Mumm’s suggestion that Chiefs might just pull off something memorable in France.

But for a bit of luck, or the taking of a couple of slightly different split-second decisions, Mumm might have been referring to beating them twice in succession.

The 29-year-old lock was quick to acknowledge the difference between the sides, though, and expects Chiefs to have worked hard this week to prepare as best they can for what awaits.

He said: “We’re not too far away, but unfortunately near enough’s not good enough. Near enough doesn’t get you to where you want to go.

“We’re going to keep aiming high. We’ve spoken about how we’ve been performing and we’re happy with our performance, but you’ve got to be happy with winning as well.

“Winning’s also a habit, so we just have to get back into the habit of nailing those key moments.

“We’re a team that backs ourselves but we have to learn sometimes about when to run and when to kick to touch. We probably gambled too much coming out of our own half.

“We had the opportunity in attack; some four on threes and three on twos, we just didn’t nail the final pass.”

Just in case their opponents were wondering, though, Mumm was quick to point out that Chiefs are not about to change how they play – so if they do lose in France, it won’t be for want of attacking.

“We came into this game knowing we had to back ourselves and the game we’ve developed,” he said. “We’re very proud of that so we’re not shying away from it. That is how we play well.

“We will continue to do that. I’m very proud of this team and of the way we play.”

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 11 Dec 2013, 8:49 am

Chief +  boxing  =  Yahoo
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Dec 2013, 8:50 am

I hope so GC! Then  king   Ale   Ale   Ale   RedWine RedWine RedWine vomit 

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Dec 2013, 4:15 pm

Forwards: Steffon Armitage-Virgil BRUNI - Martin Castrogiovanni - Xavier CHIOCCI - Florian FRESIA - Pierrick GUNTHER - Carl Hayman - Chris Masoe - Konstantin MIKAUTADZE - Benjamin Noirot - Jean-Charles ORIOLI - Juan SMITH - Jocelino SUTA - Ali WILLIAMS.

Backs: Delon Armitage - Mathieu Bastareaud - Michael Claassens - Matt Giteau - Maxime Mermoz - Frédéric MICHALAK - Drew MITCHELL - Alexis PALISSON - David SMITH - Sebastian TILLOUS-BORDERS - Jonny Wilkinson - Rudi Wulf.

No Habana (surgery), no Botha (stitches, and scared). Michalak and Delon Armitage in, along with Gunther and Noirot.

Looks weak  Cool 

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 12 Dec 2013, 10:40 pm

Good luck Chiefs - ease off after 3 tries though  Whistle 
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 13 Dec 2013, 9:40 am

CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE RC TOULON

15 Luke Arscott
14 Jack Nowell
13 Ian Whitten
12 Phil Dollman
11 Tom James
10 Henry Slade
9 Haydn Thomas
1 Ben Moon
2 Jack Yeandle
3 Hoani Tui
4 Dean Mumm (capt)
5 James Hanks
6 Tom Johnson
7 Don Armand
8 Dave Ewers

16 Chris Whitehead
17 Brett Sturgess
18 Alex Brown
19 Damian Welch
20 Ben White
21 Will Chudley
22 Ceri Sweeney
23 Sam Hill

Plenty of changes, some enforced (Steeno) and some definitely resting players

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 13 Dec 2013, 10:41 am

Chief Happy trails, As.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 13 Dec 2013, 11:10 am

Thanks, buddy

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:29 pm

What a weekend!! Madness, from start to finish - massive thank you to the good people of Toulon, wonderful hosts, top quality banter with the oppo fans and extremely gracious in victory. I have no voice, and barely my senses (what's new?)

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:56 pm

I didn't think that Chiefs desrrved to have 32 points put on them. That was a good performance away from home.

One thing for Baxter to work on - Chiefs need support runners when the likes of Slade and Nowell make line breaks. Yet again scoring opportunities went begging because no one was there to take a pass.

Glad you had a good weekend, As.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:56 pm

Slade was quality. Really impressed by the youngster.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:56 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:I didn't think that Chiefs desrrved to have 32 points put on them. That was a good performance away from home.

One thing for Baxter to work on - Chiefs need support runners when the likes of Slade and Nowell make line breaks. Yet again scoring opportunities went begging because no one was there to take a pass.

Glad you had a good weekend, As.

Hound Dog- indeed a good performance and some very pleasing stats both as a team (521m run vs 256m, 28 defenders beaten vs 17, etc) and as individuals (Arscott - 191m with 11 defenders beaten), apart from the important one 'W'!!  But we're not too far off, a little naive at times, but as only our second year in the Heino, Baxter would have to be pretty happy with the direction the team is travelling in

Chief

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:58 pm

yappysnap wrote:Slade was quality. Really impressed by the youngster.

Sladey is a very composed young man, with plenty still to come. It's great to see the likes of him, Jack Nowell, Dave Ewers & Sam Hill all playing together at this level - and really looking forward to getting the likes of Luke Cowan-Dickie back from injury and one or two of the other youngsters up to pace at this level

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 17 Dec 2013, 5:06 pm

Can LCD please have a hair cut before he comes back?!! I'm sure Danny Care can give him the name of a good barber...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Dec 2013, 3:13 am

Yapy, I can confirm that he is only sporting a minor mullet at the mo. As to Jack Nowell's rat's tail however...

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 18 Dec 2013, 4:00 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Yapy, I can confirm that he is only sporting a minor mullet at the mo. As to Jack Nowell's rat's tail however...

Chief

Last Saturday independent there is an interview with Jack Nowell. He has played with LCD for a long time - describes him as a typical cornish front row. Stupid haircut and a huge body...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Dec 2013, 8:58 am

lostinwales wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Yapy, I can confirm that he is only sporting a minor mullet at the mo. As to Jack Nowell's rat's tail however...

Chief

Last Saturday independent there is an interview with Jack Nowell. He has played with LCD for a long time - describes him as a typical cornish front row. Stupid haircut and a huge body...

Móran taing, LiW OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down