The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everyone who is involved in our game should read this.

+2
MrsP
Scratch
6 posters

Go down

Everyone who is involved in our game should read this.  Empty Everyone who is involved in our game should read this.

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Dec 2013, 10:45 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/13/death-of-a-schoolboy-ben-robinson-concussion-rugby-union

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Everyone who is involved in our game should read this.  Empty Re: Everyone who is involved in our game should read this.

Post by MrsP Sat 14 Dec 2013, 12:30 am

Well done Scratch.

Not easy reading but still it needs to be read.

Thank you for posting it.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Everyone who is involved in our game should read this.  Empty Re: Everyone who is involved in our game should read this.

Post by Scratch Sat 14 Dec 2013, 2:29 am

MrsP wrote:Well done Scratch.

Not easy reading but still it needs to be read.

Thank you for posting it.

Thanks, going to ask a MOD to make it a sticky….

I was extremely shocked to read it having played and been concussed and stitched so many times.

think if we are all aware those still involved in the game are better informed and better placed to deal with the issue if, and when, they come across it

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 14 Dec 2013, 7:24 am

Has anyone else noticed that often in these incidences there are two common traits;

1). Players are 18 years of age or younger
2). Coaches do not appear to know what they are doing? as in knowing concussion when they are looking at it.

To suggest that its rugby's dirty little secret is going a bit over the top.

And a final thing, nothing makes you see stars and fuzzy blackness like a head clash.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:07 am

Yeah I think one major problem is that the Medallion shield and Schools cup are really important tournaments and there is a huge pressure on schools, players and coaches to do well. The emphasis of under age rugby needs to be re-evaluated, with the focus on long term player development and not results.

Scrap these knockout competitions (sacrilege I know) and others like it and just play friendly games up until 18s, not only would it reduce the pressure to play unfit players but I think we'd see better skill levels too in the long term.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:10 am

SIS is almost exclusively a problem of teenage players.

Young brains seem to be particularily sensitive to trauma for reasons which are not ebtirely clear.

Some of you will know that I have talked about this almost ad nauseum since this poor lad died. I don't particularily care if it's not popular, it's important and if one new person reads this and gets the message it is worth it.

IF IN DOUBT, SIT THEM OUT!!!

Last edited by MrsP on Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:11 am

rodders wrote:Yeah I think one major problem is that the Medallion shield and Schools cup are really important tournaments and there is a huge pressure on schools, players and coaches to do well. The emphasis of under age rugby needs to be re-evaluated, with the focus on long term player development and not results.

Scrap these knockout competitions (sacrilege I know) and others like it and just play friendly games up until 18s, not only would it reduce the pressure to play unfit players but I think we'd see better skill levels too in the long term.  

+10000000

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:11 am

MrsP wrote:SIS is almost exclusively a problem of teenage players.

Young brians seem to be particularily sensitive to trauma for reasons which are not ebtirely clear.

Some of you will know that I have talked about this almost ad nauseum since this poor lad died. I don't particularily care if it's not popular, it's important and if one new person reads this and gets the message it is worth it.

IF IN DOUBT, SIT THEM OUT!!!
 thumbsup 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:14 am

Doh 

I should point out that it is not, as my post would suggest, just young people called Brian who are susceptible to SIS!

I meant ,

"young BRAINS..."

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:15 am

Has the school/coach ever responded to what happened in this incident?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 14 Dec 2013, 11:09 am

There was an inquest.

I suppose everyone was reluctant to say too much as lawyers were involved but, from memory, both the coach and the ref said they had never been informed of the SCAT tests. I think the coach got Ben to follow his finger after each of the times he was dazed as he had seen other people doing that.

It sounded like neither of them had any idea that concussion can kill.

The day of Ben's funeral my lad's team had a minutes silence before their game. I spoke to the other parents about the dangers of head injury. None of them had any idea. I vowed that day that either me or my husband would be on the touchline for all of our son's matches if we possibly could. I also told the other parents that I would stand on the pitch and refuse to move until a potentially head injured player was taken off if that was required. It has not been required as yet.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 14 Dec 2013, 12:48 pm

My school used to not let players play basically all season if they suffered a bona fide concussion. Not only is it much safer for the players but it means other players get a chance to fill in, which is good for the players and the point of rugby at amateur level, and good for the team to build strength in depth
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Sat 14 Dec 2013, 4:14 pm

rodders wrote:Yeah I think one major problem is that the Medallion shield and Schools cup are really important tournaments and there is a huge pressure on schools, players and coaches to do well. The emphasis of under age rugby needs to be re-evaluated, with the focus on long term player development and not results.

I couldn't agree more with this.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down