The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan or Maidana?

+17
kingraf
ShahenshahG
milkyboy
John Bloody Wayne
3fingers
Boxtthis
Rowley
Happytravelling
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
bellchees
hazharrison
Lumbering_Jack
Hammersmith harrier
owen10ozzy
Gerry SA
All Time Great
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Khan or Maidana?

Khan or Maidana? Vote_lcap56%Khan or Maidana? Vote_rcap 56% 
[ 18 ]
Khan or Maidana? Vote_lcap44%Khan or Maidana? Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 32

Khan or Maidana? Empty Khan or Maidana?

Post by All Time Great Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:50 pm

For "pure" boxing reasons, who would you rather watch Floyd Mayweather face in May? "Other" is not an option, so with a gun to your head, who would you choose?

Last edited by All Time Great on Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Khan or Maidana? Empty Re: Khan or Maidana?

Post by Gerry SA Fri 07 Feb 2014, 9:48 pm

I've selected Maidana. 

I'd rather see Khan get his head blown off by Keith Thurman.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 10:44 pm

I can't fathom how anyone can pick Maidana to be honest. This whole 'Maidana' is more deserving doesn't wash with me. He beat a over-hyped guy who had no right being at Welterweight...simply not big enough at the weight. In terms of the weight it was no worse than Khan beating Diaz who again had no business being at 143.

Because Maidana beat Broner he suddenly deserves to be in with Mayweather!?...that single win in my opinion doesn't make him any more worthwhile as a contender than Khan. If one win makes that much of a case then put Shawn Porter in with him...he at least beat a legitimate 147 lber in his last fight and a guy who had been champion for longer than 5 seconds.

I like Maidana and hope he gets a big fight, but this is not the one I want to see him in. He brings absolutely nothing to the table that Mayweather hasn't already dealt with in his last 5 fights. He is the shorter guy, not that big in terms of actual size and would have a 3 inch reach deficit.

Khan has the better resume of the two (only just mind) but also..and here's the kicker...has a victory over the Argentine himself.

Maidana does nothing better than Cotto, Guerrero, or Canelo. At least Khan can bring speed, quick footwork and a jab to the table....regardless of how long that lasts it does at least give Mayweather something a little different to think about.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 07 Feb 2014, 10:50 pm

How is Broner not big enough at the weight, he was scaling 154lbs when he was a lightweight, Welterweight is his natural weight without draining down.

Neither of them are fights I want to see, Lara, Martinez or Pacquiao would leave me slightly intrigued. A fight with Bradley does nothing for me, it would be a one sided shut out against a guy who's outgunned in every single department bar none.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:00 pm

Broner is terrible at Welterweight....he was bullied by Maidana & ate plenty of leather against Malignaggi. You can't honestly suggest 147 is Broner's best fighting weight?! That fight was mugging of the highest order...he was pushed about the ring like a rag doll as and when Marcos saw fit.

Agree with the 2nd point...but then that wasn't the question in the OP...in fact I'm pretty sure he said you couldn't choose other Wink

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:02 pm

Maidana at least has some form. Khan offers absolutely nothing and is an utter stinker of opponent if it gets made.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:15 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Broner is terrible at Welterweight....he was bullied by Maidana & ate plenty of leather against Malignaggi. You can't honestly suggest 147 is Broner's best fighting weight?! That fight was mugging of the highest order...he was pushed about the ring like a rag doll as and when Marcos saw fit.

Agree with the 2nd point...but then that wasn't the question in the OP...in fact I'm pretty sure he said you couldn't choose other Wink

It's not his best weight because he's fighting men of the same size as him, he's built a career on beating smaller weaker men. Lets put this into context, Broner weighed more on fight night against Escobedo than Mayweather did against Cotto.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:17 pm

Form - as in 1 fight form...pretty sure the term form is usually used to describe a longer period than that.

Kota Sarass. Angel Marinez & Josesito Lope are no better than Carlos Molina & Julio Diaz.

As I said, 1 win doesn't make a ledger...if it did Buster Douglas would be one of the greatest heavyweights ever. He's not.

I like Maidana, exciting fighter and rarely in a dull fight plus will leave it all on the line. However as I have said he bring's nothing to the table that Mayweather hasn't already dealt with in his last 3 opponents....essentially he is a smaller Alvarez...and we know what happened with that one.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:20 pm

Maidana is nothing like Alvarez, one is a brawler and the other is a methodical boxer.

Form wise I would give a slight edge to Maidana for his win over Broner, Karass and Lopez are also trickier fights than Diaz or Molina.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:34 pm

I said 'some form'. So yes it is not sparkling but it is certainly better than Khan who looked rank bad last time out against a poor fighter by world level standards.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:43 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Maidana is nothing like Alvarez, one is a brawler and the other is a methodical boxer.

Form wise I would give a slight edge to Maidana for his win over Broner, Karass and Lopez are also trickier fights than Diaz or Molina.

Agreed, he's in better form. But do you feel he would present more of a problem to Mayweather than Khan?

I just can't fathom why anyone would choose a Mayweather vs. Maidana fight, it doesn't other much in terms of entertainment. Having said that. Maidana vs. Garcia is a fight I would want to see, he deserves a big payday.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:44 pm

I see neither representing a single problem to Mayweather, Khan gets knocked out within 5 rounds while Maidana loses every single second of the fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:49 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I see neither representing a single problem to Mayweather, Khan gets knocked out within 5 rounds while Maidana loses every single second of the fight.

How about a 2011 version of Amir Khan? Would he cause any issues for Mayweather in your opinion?

I would be interested to see how Mayweather deals with Khan's hand speed, I think the only fighter he's faced with legitimate hand speed was Zab Judah.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:56 pm

Still wouldn't cause a single problem, he doesn't have the southpaw stance or footwork of Judah, zero threat to Mayweather at any point in time.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:05 am

Would anyone pay for either fight? Genuinely?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:21 am

hazharrison wrote:Would anyone pay for either fight? Genuinely?

Love him or hate him, Khan is box office. Yes, his career is flawed but he's hardly ever in a fight that isn't watchable.

So I would pay to watch Khan vs. Mayweather just because you never know what could happen.

But, Khan vs. Brook is a fight I'd rather like to see.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sat 08 Feb 2014, 1:01 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Form - as in 1 fight form...pretty sure the term form is usually used to describe a longer period than that.

Kota Sarass. Angel Marinez & Josesito Lope are no better than Carlos Molina & Julio Diaz.

As I said, 1 win doesn't make a ledger...if it did Buster Douglas would be one of the greatest heavyweights ever. He's not.

I like Maidana, exciting fighter and rarely in a dull fight plus will leave it all on the line. However as I have said he bring's nothing to the table that Mayweather hasn't already dealt with in his last 3 opponents....essentially he is a smaller Alvarez...and we know what happened with that one.

Thats a massive disservice to Maidana's opponents. Broner, Karass and Lopez are a long long way better than Molina and Diaz. Maidana deserves the fight more based on opposition beaten and the fact he has actually campaigned at Welterweight. I don't see how Khan's speed causes Floyd any problems really, he's so open defensively when throwing his flashy combos and Floyd is the most accurate boxer in the world, it'll be like target practice.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 08 Feb 2014, 2:09 pm

hazharrison wrote:Would anyone pay for either fight? Genuinely?

I wouldn't pay for any fight I need to get up at four in the morning to watch, Froch is the only person I think is PPV worthy in this country. Khan is in exciting fights because he's vulnerable, Froch is in exciting fights because he's not at all vulnerable.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 08 Feb 2014, 2:30 pm

The days of me getting up at 4 am are long gone also, regardless of who's fighting. If I wake up and have my phone handy I'll check the Twitter feed -- which can be entertaining.

I had a hefty parlay a while back, including Martinez over Chavez. When Chavez dropped him the whole feed just read:

Wooooooooooooooahhhhhhhh

He's downnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Quite amusing (after I'd dried my pants).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 08 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

Paying to watch Hatton decapitated by Pacman put me off for life, if I happen to wake up in time then i'll watch the American fights but you can usually watch them first thing in the morning anyway.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 08 Feb 2014, 2:41 pm

You don't even get up for Canelo? drumroll

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm

I'll watch either..Enjoy a talent like this while I can..

Khan for me though..More awkward

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 08 Feb 2014, 2:50 pm

I don't why you think I rate Canelo that highly because I don't.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 08 Feb 2014, 4:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'll watch either..Enjoy a talent like this while I can..

Khan for me though..More awkward

Are you on the team Khan payroll or something?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 08 Feb 2014, 5:00 pm

Khan would be more interesting. He offers something different. But I think Maidana will get it as he is probably bigger box office in the US right now.

Plus, he can fight Khan next. Beat the man Khan beat and then Khan.

Khan stands a chance with his power and hand speed but realistically would most likely get KO'd.

Maidana will just get outboxed all night.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 08 Feb 2014, 5:04 pm

Eastside boxing is saying that Maidana has offered Khan a rematch... which would put a cat amongst the pigeons...

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 08 Feb 2014, 5:09 pm

I think Khan's a done deal - Espinoza wanted it. Maidana is nothing more than a PR stunt (which also helps Broner sell tickets for the rematch).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 08 Feb 2014, 5:09 pm

The view stateside seems to be very much in preference of Maidana. Their view of Khan seems to be very much that he has not done anything recently to justify him getting the fight whereas at least Maidana has the win over Broner.

Should add these do not reflect my views before everyone gets over excited. I don't care either way.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 08 Feb 2014, 5:19 pm

Say what you will about Mayweather: whoever advises him is one clever sumbitch. Tapping into this vacuous X-Factor/Big Brother culture of public voting is clever. Everyone's banging on about it as they feel they are included in the process somehow.

Kim Kardashian has nothing on him.

He must laugh himself to sleep at night. "So, I choose who I want to fight - based on who is the most popular candidate from a list of fighters I know I can beat. Then, I impersonate Harry Enfield's Loadsamoney and these suckers lap it up. I even shout it: 'Easy money, easy work' and they still pay to watch a boring-as-hell boxing match".

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 08 Feb 2014, 5:37 pm

If it is a legitimate poll, then it looks like Khan is going to get the fight, he's currently ahead 54% - 46% in the official polls.

Khan has never been outboxed in his entire career (yes, he's been KO'd early in a couple of fights by a couple of heavy shots). So I'm intrigued to see Mayweather deal with his speed.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 08 Feb 2014, 6:11 pm

Rowley wrote:The view stateside seems to be very much in preference of Maidana. Their view of Khan seems to be very much that he has not done anything recently to justify him getting the fight whereas at least Maidana has the win over Broner.

Should add these do not reflect my views before everyone gets over excited. I don't care either way.

So you are saying you think Khan should get the fight.

This is just typical

Why should Khan get the nod ahead of Maidana who has proved himself time and time again.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 6:16 pm

He did beat Maidana onetwo..but like rowley I'm not bothered either way...

My argument has always been if fights like GGG v Macklin are ok...why not Khan or Maidana

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 08 Feb 2014, 6:22 pm

This 'khan has never been outboxed' is the biggest load of sh1t I've ever read.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 6:32 pm

You need to read more

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sat 08 Feb 2014, 6:47 pm

Maidana slightly more deserving on current form. Khan presents the more compelling challenge.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sat 08 Feb 2014, 6:51 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:This 'khan has never been outboxed' is the biggest load of sh1t I've ever read.

Khan was outboxed on the the inside by Peterson. Doesn't work on the inside count as boxing? Or are we just talking traditional one-two combinations from the outside. Khan's boxing is strong in that respect.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 08 Feb 2014, 6:55 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:This 'khan has never been outboxed' is the biggest load of sh1t I've ever read.

Khan was outboxed on the the inside by Peterson. Doesn't work on the inside count as boxing? Or are we just talking traditional one-two combinations from the outside. Khan's boxing is strong in that respect.

With that fight it comes down to whether you think Khan actually lost because while it wasn't a great performance he deserved the nod even with the bizarre two point penalties. Peterson won at most 4 rounds.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 08 Feb 2014, 7:07 pm

I scored the Khan vs Peterson fight as 6 rounds a piece. With the deductions that gives him it by one point, although it probably should have been a draw if the knockdown a were scored correctly.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 08 Feb 2014, 7:25 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

With that fight it comes down to whether you think Khan actually lost because while it wasn't a great performance he deserved the nod even with the bizarre two point penalties. Peterson won at most 4 rounds.

If khan vs Peterson had been on the undercard of Klitschko vs Povetkin i wonder whether he'd have had two points deducted.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:27 pm

Think the two points deducted had more to do with where the fight was fought.........

Very rarely see points taken off for pushing.........What Froch did v Groves was worse...

However Khan should have beat the guy easy..........Only he had to show how macho he was and gave a sucker a break...

When he boxed he was superior...........But he gave rounds away..

I thought he won the fight but it was close enough to be contentious..

He lost that fight .........more than Petersen won it !!

Goodnight and God bless...............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 09 Feb 2014, 1:06 am

owen10ozzy wrote:Form - as in 1 fight form...pretty sure the term form is usually used to describe a longer period than that.

Shocked 

Do you actually believe this??

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 09 Feb 2014, 8:19 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:

Shocked 

Do you actually believe this??

Throw in Broner too, then his form is clearly better. Add in the fact Khan was dropped and punched around the ring by the average Diaz and it's clear who is in better form. I don't really see how people can question it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:10 am

Maidana in better form, but khan will pose more questions for floyd to answer. It's also just possible he might train properly for the fight, so we might see something closer to the khan of a few years ago. Just conjecture, he might also just take the cheque and run.

Truss, mayweather does get treated differently to others in terms of his opponent choices. All fighters through the years have fill-in fights and soft defences among their tougher fights. I personally demand/wish for constantly challenging opponents for floyd because I want to see him tested and in competitive fights (and yeh it would be quite nice to see that smirk wiped off his face at some point!). The criticism from some is ott, but I think most just judge him by different standards to other champions because of his level. Learn to take the criticism of him as the backhanded compliment it is fella!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:17 am

Its true to an extent - most of his opponents would be fairto good opponents for anyone else - but mayweather isn't really competing against this lot - hes competing against the Leonards, robinsons etc for the top 15 spots (at least) in the history of the sport. He'll always be judged by legend standards rather than contemporary standards.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:42 am

... And they fought their fair share of mediocrity as well, though Leonard's first 7 championship fights is probably the gold standard for everyone on quality of opponent.

There's an element that we know we're on the home stretch of mayweather's career and we want to know how to place him against the all time greats, so we don't want gimme fights. Also of course his fights are major ppv events so there is a reasonable requirement to make them competitive.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:47 am

thats true enough - But anyone of leonard, hagler Duran or hearns would have moved heaven and earth for an opportunity such as pacquaio - whoever is at fault between the two - they'd have bitten your hand off if you offered em 50-50 in a 150 million dollar fight - they would also have taken it for less. Imagine something like Duran Pacquaio or Leonard Mayweather?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:48 am

Floyd also only fights once or twice a year so no room for filler fights and him being the biggest draw in boxing means he has an option to fight anyone if he so chooses. He also gets more stick for rubbish fights as he's clearly ridiculously talented and I feel he's wasting it fighting the likes of Khan.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:57 am

ShahenshahG wrote:thats true enough - But anyone of leonard, hagler Duran or hearns would have moved heaven and earth for an opportunity such as pacquaio - whoever is at fault between the two - they'd have bitten your hand off if you offered em 50-50 in a 150 million dollar fight - they would also have taken it for less. Imagine something like Duran Pacquaio or Leonard Mayweather?  

"Hearns don't deserve no rematch"....Doesn't sound like Marvin was moving Heaven and Earth for superfight 2...

Whilst Duran called out Leonard and Hagler again ad nauseum...........Could have made a lot more fighting Hearns in a rematch than Robbie Sims types .....Never called Tommy out again..

Leonard was reticent in some cases too.........

I get your point................Floyd should have fought Manny ........... But some of the fab 4 had certain issues..

In fairness though Mayweather has more cases to answer than these guys but it's not all sweetness and light !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 09 Feb 2014, 12:05 pm

Floyd can fight who he wants, he probably doesn't give what the 606v2 consensus has him as. My only gripe has always been with him charging $70 for a filler fight, it's worse than Ferrigno charging $20 for a handshake and a smile! But in both cases, it's a matter of willing buyer willing seller, can't fault Floyd for so many people being willing to pay top dollar for a not top dollar fight.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 09 Feb 2014, 12:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:thats true enough - But anyone of leonard, hagler Duran or hearns would have moved heaven and earth for an opportunity such as pacquaio - whoever is at fault between the two - they'd have bitten your hand off if you offered em 50-50 in a 150 million dollar fight - they would also have taken it for less. Imagine something like Duran Pacquaio or Leonard Mayweather?  

"Hearns don't deserve no rematch"....Doesn't sound like Marvin was moving Heaven and Earth for superfight 2...

Whilst Duran called out Leonard and Hagler again ad nauseum...........Could have made a lot more fighting Hearns in a rematch than Robbie Sims types .....Never called Tommy out again..

If only we were in that position with Manny and Floyd.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next