The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidana Versus Guerrero - For The WBA LWW Strap?! - Khan Being Stripped?

+11
Mind the windows Tino.
Daz
JACKMAGIC
PPVxHOTTY
Steffan
BALTIMORA
Imperial Ghosty
Super D Boon
Scottrf
Fists of Fury
AlexHuckerby
15 posters

Go down

Maidana Versus Guerrero - For The WBA LWW Strap?! - Khan Being Stripped? Empty Maidana Versus Guerrero - For The WBA LWW Strap?! - Khan Being Stripped?

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:39 pm

Have a look at what it says here on boxrec what the fight is for http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=67437&cat=boxer
It says it's for the WBA World Light Welterweight Title is Khan being stripped or something? I thought that Maidana was only the interim challenger but as it usually says interim title then I am being led to believe that this is for the actual title!? If so surely absolutely farcical or can someone steer me correct as the belts can be somewhat confusing at times, also it could be a mistake by boxrec?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Maidana Versus Guerrero - For The WBA LWW Strap?! - Khan Being Stripped? Empty Re: Maidana Versus Guerrero - For The WBA LWW Strap?! - Khan Being Stripped?

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:57 pm

Most likely some nonsense interim title or what not, very confusing either way, and Khan most definitely isn't being stripped.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Maidana Versus Guerrero - For The WBA LWW Strap?! - Khan Being Stripped? Empty Re: Maidana Versus Guerrero - For The WBA LWW Strap?! - Khan Being Stripped?

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm

He's not being stripped as such. His last fight was a unification so WBA make him Super Champ, which frees up their regular belt for more sanctioning fees.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:59 pm

🤦 Horrific, isn't it?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:59 pm

No Khan is not being stripped! This is for the WBA "Regular" belt. Khan holds the "Super" belt. Yes, it is daft and the WBA are the pits!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:12 pm

Which by my reckoning mean Guerrero gets the chance of a fourth world title despite never holding a full world title?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:13 pm

oh right I didn't realise he got made Super Champion, jesus this is ridiculous! Boxing does my nut in! Why have all these super champs and what not it is absolutely nonsensical!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:14 pm

🤦

That's all.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:15 pm

Hence Windy and I doing the linear threads

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:17 pm

If someone is a super champ it makes the regular absolutely pointless... such utter garbage from the WBA they have to be the worst in my opinon (They are all terrible however)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:25 pm

It's a situation which will only ever worsen.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:26 pm

The IBF along with the IBO probably make the most sense nowadays, the WBO as far as i'm concerned were a joke from the start and have never paid much attention to their champions.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:27 pm

Yeah when they start with "Super dooper trooper" champs soon 🤦

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm

Exactly why Windy, Chris, Captain, Rowley, Colonial among others and I prefer the way boxing used to be

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:36 pm

The current belts situation is a complete and utter joke, however overall I do think that boxing is beginning to improve in terms of matchmaking of late, after a dip over the past couple of years whereby far too many fights went unmade.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:41 pm

Who cares if Khan gets stripped. The Ring title is the REAL title and Khan is moving on to bigger and better things dropping an alphabet belt wont bother him

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:57 pm

Steffan wrote:Who cares if Khan gets stripped. The Ring title is the REAL title and Khan is moving on to bigger and better things dropping an alphabet belt wont bother him

The ring belt is not a legitimate belt!! the ring belt is given to you when you're the 'lineal' champ at the weight class, as for the light welter its 'vacant' so who is Khan moving onto and who has he fought to become number 1 in his weight class?

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:26 am

Therefore is the most legitimate belt

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by JACKMAGIC Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:36 am

First we had the Mach 3, and we all though it was pretty damn good. But then came the M3 Turbo! Wow - this was a whole new shaving experience! And yet weeks later we were blessed with the M3 Turbo Champion! Surely now man had reached his peak in hand held razor design - only to upgrade to the M3 Turbo Champion Power!

How could this be topped? The Fusion Series is how. Sharper blades and claims of no pull or drag seemed unlikely - and yet...

'That's Glidin'

Anyone else think that maybe Gillette owns the WBA?!

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:56 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Exactly why Windy, Chris, Captain, Rowley, Colonial among others and I prefer the way boxing used to be

I think you missed a point there mate. EVERYONE prefers the way boxing used to be. The only people that dont are the head honcho's of these alphabelt belt organisations.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:11 am

Dazstarr wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Exactly why Windy, Chris, Captain, Rowley, Colonial among others and I prefer the way boxing used to be

I think you missed a point there mate. EVERYONE prefers the way boxing used to be. The only people that dont are the head honcho's of these alphabelt belt organisations.

And the hundreds (thousands?) of boxers who get to tell their grandchildren they were "world" champions since the proliferation of titles.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:15 am

Ghosty you could have no greater example of why the likes of myself decry the current system. Belts should be lost in the ring or through a fighter moving up or retiring. As if having four titles is not ridiculous enough fighters being stripped for no apparent reason just makes a farcical sitation even worse.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:53 am

Confused!!

I do wish the sanctioning bodies would do away with all this superchamp rubbish.

A world title should be the very pinnacle of a fighters career but now it seems that fighters who are nowhere near champion standard get to hold a belt.

Woe is me!!!

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:59 am

rowley wrote:

Ghosty you could have no greater example of why the likes of myself decry the current system. Belts should be lost in the ring or through a fighter moving up or retiring. As if having four titles is not ridiculous enough fighters being stripped for no apparent reason just makes a farcical sitation even worse.

Jeff, I know I am being boring about this, and I agree wholeheartedly that the situation is a farce from the outside looking in, but it doesn't require that much of a leap of faith to see that this isn't necessarily the case from the inside looking out. I seriously doubt that in the cold light of day, Hide, Haye, Burns, Rees, Arthur, McKenzie, McMillan, Bruno, McCrory, Nelson et al give a damn whether boxing writers, forum posters or the man in the street think they were a "genuine" world champion. They show enormous courage even stepping in the ring, not to mention the training, diet, time away from loved ones etc etc, and they, along with many others, can all look back on a tough career and their reward is seeing their names in black and white as a World Champion. That is one small crumb of comfort surrounding the current situation. It is not a justification for the mess, just the other side of the coin.

But, anyway, back on topic, the WBA really are pushing their credibility, if they still have much, to the n'th degree. As a cash cow, you can't really fault their enterprise, but as for how much they are devaluing their title, which, afterall is one of the original two, is a cause for concern. At least for someone like Khan, he is high profile enough to still be considered "the" champion, although I appreciate this won't be the case in every example.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:09 am

Tino see your point that from the fighters perspective calling themselves champions is good for the bank balance but I care more about the long term good of the sport and to have a situation where hardcore fans such as myself who buys both boxing publications in this country wihtout fail cannot keep up with the nonsense cannot be healthy.

Also feel it is disrespectful to great fighters of the past such as Dave Charnley who did not have the good fortune to operate in an era where weak champions could be targetted, the idea that a guy like Charnley can be largely forgotten or dismissed a a domestic or euro level fighter whilst Gavin Ress can call himself a former world champion turns my stomach.

Said it on a previous thread on the subject but surely the system most likely to hook in and attract new fans is one with the most clarity and that is the simplist to understand and for me the current system is as far from that as it is possible to get.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:19 am

Surely for the guys you listed Tino to be able to call themselves 'champion' is a slight on the good name of many fighters from years gone by who were perhaps better boxers but who were never able to call themselves champions because there weren't a billion different variations on the term.

Any boxer who wins a title but isn't considered the top man in his division must know deep down that he's not really worthy of the title 'world champion'.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:30 am

rowley wrote:Tino see your point that from the fighters perspective calling themselves champions is good for the bank balance but I care more about the long term good of the sport and to have a situation where hardcore fans such as myself who buys both boxing publications in this country wihtout fail cannot keep up with the nonsense cannot be healthy.

Also feel it is disrespectful to great fighters of the past such as Dave Charnley who did not have the good fortune to operate in an era where weak champions could be targetted, the idea that a guy like Charnley can be largely forgotten or dismissed a a domestic or euro level fighter whilst Gavin Ress can call himself a former world champion turns my stomach.

Said it on a previous thread on the subject but surely the system most likely to hook in and attract new fans is one with the most clarity and that is the simplist to understand and for me the current system is as far from that as it is possible to get.

I absolutely agree. I also buy both publications, attend small hall and large shows, buy the vast majority of ppv's and constantly defend the honour of the sport against my "casual", Mike Tyson loving friends. The long term health of the sport is, of course, paramount and I would never suggest that the current system is compliant in making the sport a better one, just trying to play Devils Advocate.

The example of Dave Charnley, amongst many others is, of course, a source of regret and he will forever have to rely on "hardcore" fans to remember how good he was.

Balti, I can't stress enough that I dislike the current system as much as you, Ghosty, Jeff, Windy etc etc but I am just trying to see it from a different perspective. Maybe it is a "slight" on previous champions but this is hardly Gavin Ree's fault. I am sure most of them do realise they are not the top man in the division, which is precisely the reason I left people like Hatton and Calzaghe off the list, but it is still a fantastic reward for a tough career.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:36 am

Ultimately Tino you can't really blame the fighters it's a tough career and who can fault them seeking to make the best living they can, and they can only operate within the system that exists. However for me nobody seems to have any interest in fixing the system, and if major powerbrokers take a stand change can happen. Remember some years ago when Sky were showing WBF, WBU and IBU title fights every other week for fights that were at best domestic fights someone there decided enough was enough and told promoters it wasn't good enough and they were not going to keep showing these and wanted proper British, Commonwealth and Euro fights and pretty much overnight the nonsense belt farce ended.

If Sky as Britain's major powerbroker in the game can bring about such a chance it shows how easy it can be done with a little will, however there are simply too many self interests being served, as promoters like to be able to call fights that are undeserving of the title world titles and tv companies like to hook in the gullible by doing likewise.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:37 am

They've done it with the heavyweights too, Povetkin and Chagaev are facing off in August for David Haye's old belt.

Rididiculiculous.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

I don't think it matters. It diminishes the belts but we all know who are the best 2 or 3 fighters in each division. I don't think it diminishes the achievements of fighters in days gone by.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:44 am

The whole Armstrong, Fitzsimmons, Pacquiao and Jones jr. thing really bugs me, the former achieved something very special the latter achieved similar things because of their era.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:44 am

Razzaq we may know but as we are hardcore boxing geeks we are hardly a representative sample of the population. Does the average bloke in the street know. You only have to go back in time and the heavyweight champion of the world was like the president of the states, everyone could name him.

I asked a friend a few years ago to name all four heavyweight champions, the mate I asked is a general sports fan and comfortably one of the most well read and intelligent blokes I know and think he got to two. People need to get out of the mindset that because a bunch of hardcore fans can just about follow the sport it is fine, it is the casual and potentially new fans that matter and the current system at the minute is impenetrable without a level of effort above and beyond what most people will be willing to put forth.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:45 am

rowley wrote:Ultimately Tino you can't really blame the fighters it's a tough career and who can fault them seeking to make the best living they can, and they can only operate within the system that exists. However for me nobody seems to have any interest in fixing the system, and if major powerbrokers take a stand change can happen. Remember some years ago when Sky were showing WBF, WBU and IBU title fights every other week for fights that were at best domestic fights someone there decided enough was enough and told promoters it wasn't good enough and they were not going to keep showing these and wanted proper British, Commonwealth and Euro fights and pretty much overnight the nonsense belt farce ended.

If Sky as Britain's major powerbroker in the game can bring about such a chance it shows how easy it can be done with a little will, however there are simply too many self interests being served, as promoters like to be able to call fights that are undeserving of the title world titles and tv companies like to hook in the gullible by doing likewise.

Agreed. Whilst we have greed led governing bodies and promoters looking to sqeeze every financial advantage they can, the situation will never change. Sad as that is.

You start the revolution Jeff, I will be right behind you. Once all the fighting and bloodshed is over.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:47 am

The sad thing is the sport does not need it. The fight this weekend between Chisora and Fury proved that if you put two well matched fighters in the ring for proper belts there is an audience for the sport.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:48 am

Especially one who polarises opinion like Fury does.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:48 am

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down