The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion

+17
Sangakkara
sirfredperry
VTR
Hoggy_Bear
skyeman
KP_fan
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
msp83
guildfordbat
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Mike Selig
Pal Joey
Gerry SA
Duty281
kingraf
Biltong
21 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion - Page 4 Empty South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion

Post by msp83 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 6:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

So the much anticipated series is getting underway tomorrow. South Africa, the number 1 side in the world, will be taking on a confident Australia. South Africa have enjoyed a solid stay at the top of the test rankings, for a year and a half, and the Australians are coming into this series after Thumping, Pulverizing, Thrashing, Humiliating and destroying England 5-0 in the recently concluded Ashes series.
Both sides have quality bowling units, and 4 of the top 5 ranked bowlers will be battling it out, and cricinfo points out, that doesn't even include Mitchell Johnson!. And Morne Morkel as well.
Australia are likely to go in with Shaun Marsh and Alex Doolan for the injured Shane Watson and the dropped George Bailey, the rest of their Ashes winning side should stay the same.
South Africa are likely to bring in one of Ryan McLaren and Wayne Parnell, and move Faf du Plessis to 4, as they contemplate life after Kallis. JP Duminy has some injury concerns going into the match, but he is likely to play.

msp83

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion - Page 4 Empty Re: South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:35 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Olly wrote:THAT TACHE HAS MAGICAL POWERS

So I think does Amla's beard.

With that profound comment, I'm away for a cuple of hours.

Facial hair is the way forward Guildford  Very Happy 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion - Page 4 Empty Re: South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion

Post by Gerry SA Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:37 pm

Firstly the Proteas gotta ensure they get another 161 to save the follow on.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm

If any of us were wondering whether Johnson would keep his form from the Ashes series ...we have our answer.  Smile 

Top order for SA looking pretty feeble today without Kallis . Their best pair at the crease now , but a lot of work to do.

SA have a great record of fighting back from tough situations , so I won't assume an Australian victory here yet. But I think the odds will be getting fairly short with the bookies...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:51 pm

REview from Australia, and Hashim Amla is gone!!. Massive wicket that, and a fine review from Clarke.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:53 pm

Steyn and co should produce another 47 all out if SA are to get out of this one it seems.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:53 pm

No magic in his beard today Very Happy 

How did the ump miss that one!

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:53 pm

Johnson on fire at the start.

Amla now gone, good review from Clarke. Dar probably thought inside edge but it was both pads. Huge wicket.

Johnson for another over or two before tea? Particularly with Duminy (who hasn't always fancied the short stuff) in now...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:55 pm

AB has decided its time to counterattack!.
50 up for SA. Another 150 to avoid the follow-on.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:57 pm

AB has exposed Duminy to Johnson!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:57 pm

Good move from Clarke to bring MJ back on after so little rest before tea. Worth the gamble with four down and an obvious plan for Duminy.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:58 pm

Maybe SA will be checking KPs eligability after this fiasco

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:59 pm

South Africa's number 6 and 7 are not that good as test batsmen for those positions, but their 8 and 9 are pretty good for those positions. Australia are working with a 4 man attack, one so Smith's boys aren't out of it as yet.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:13 pm

SA can chase upto 442 in 4th innning..
Eng fans are exuding a joy screaming " its not just us"....contrary to conventional wisdom of supporting aus's opponent Smile
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:23 pm

KP_fan wrote:SA can chase upto 442 in 4th innning..
Eng fans are exuding a joy screaming " its not just us"....contrary to conventional wisdom of supporting aus's opponent Smile

Are we? Also I, like most I expect, am an England supporter not an anyone but Australia supporter. Couldn't give a monkeys who wins this, just want to see a good match

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:30 pm

I'm firmly neutral as well.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:03 pm

Will SA offer Flower the job as coach to rescuee them ?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:15 pm

The 50 partnership up between AB and JP, with a big 6 from the latter. SA 98-4.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:31 pm

JP Duminy goes, without converting yet another start. Its that man Mitchell Johnson again, but this time with a very good catch. Lyon gets the breakthrough, and South Africa lost half their side for 110.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:57 pm

ABDV looking to bat out the innings, looked good against MJ too, but can the rest stay with him?

MJ will come back for a few soon though, get AB out and the follow-on could still be on.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:07 pm

Johnson gets his 4th, as Ryan McLaren's off stump went for a little walk. South Africa 126-6.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:08 pm

MJ does his magic again getting McClaren bowled SA 126/6. Follow-on looking likely now with MJ at the bowlers.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:10 pm

Robin Peterson in at 8.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

msp83 wrote:Robin Peterson in at 8.

Which is why they miss Kallis's bowling Wink 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

Hi folks - return to find I've jinxed South Africa's batting and Amla in particular!  Smile 

And that's after Haddin was given the day off from his Superman duties!  Wink 

South Africa in a lot of trouble trailing by 267 with only 4 first innings wickets left ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

That hurt!!

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:47 pm

That's good Australia - 2 days of making England seem less bad. clap

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:55 pm

When rain forced an early stumps, South Africa were 140-6, 58 away from avoiding the follow-on. AB would resume on 52, and Robin Peterson on 10. Peterson can bat, so can Vernon Philander. If AB could build a couple of decent partnerships and somehow take SA to 250+, then they could hope to organize a revival.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:08 pm

So after destroying the English South Africans, the Aussies have made a good start in their attempt to destroy the South African South Africans Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:09 pm

Intresting point was raised on commenatary, about australia's side for 2nd test..

Doolan was always going to play, but Marsh flew back as cover for watson, however with Marsh making 148, does Watson now suddenly come back in for Doolan, or do they leave him out?!

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:11 pm

Watson, if at all he has to come back, has to come back as an all-rounder. There were talks of him playing as a batsman only earlier. He's just not worth it.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:14 pm

The concerns around JP Duminy won't go away after his performance. Can South Africa accommodate a batsman who averages in the early 30s in his test career, who seems to have specialized in not converting starts, just because he bowls a bit of offspin? From whatever I've seen of Dean Elgar, he doesn't quite come across as test class. They have to graduate Quinton de Kock sooner rather than later.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:17 pm

msp83 wrote:Watson, if at all he has to come back, has to come back as an all-rounder. There were talks of him playing as a batsman only earlier. He's just not worth it.

I agree, if he can't bowl, what is the point of him.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:19 pm

This could be the beginning of the end for SA with JP, Petersen and McClaren in the team.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:35 pm

Perhaps by the end of the series, SA will get stronger with de Kock, Harmer and Morris/Parnell in.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 8:09 pm

Duminy is a frustrating cricketer, he has the technqiue, the talent and the drive to go with test cricket, but he finds ways to get out!!

Peterson plays at home and Tahir plays in spinning conditions...

McLaren, is the best of the all-rounders at the moment..

now

De Kock has to be in there sooner rather than later, and taking the gloves..

Morris could bat 7 but im not sure if he's ready for tests...parnell isnt good enough for test cricket.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:03 pm

Just noticed that Chris Morris is out injured, and he has a 6 month lay off period ahead of him. That really is unfortunate.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 14 Feb 2014, 8:15 am

Let's see what sort of 1st innings total SA can make this morning.

AB is a total champion. Can he give some back to the Aussies after the nasty hit he took on the elbow from Mitch?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 14 Feb 2014, 8:43 am

skyeman wrote:
msp83 wrote:Watson, if at all he has to come back, has to come back as an all-rounder. There were talks of him playing as a batsman only earlier. He's just not worth it.

I agree, if he can't bowl, what is the point of him.

People really have it n for him as a batsman, he still managed to average better than Clarke in the Ashes series.
The side is full of pretty dubious batsmen ..I dont get why people have such a crush on Steve Smith when he still averages in the mid 30s, Doolans first class average is down there and its highly unlikely his test average will be much above.
Its fair to say that Watsons bowling has given him more chances in the side than he wouldve got otherwise but its not like theres awesome competition for batting spots ...although Marsh has upset things by getting an uncharacteristically good score ..andother guy who averages in the mid 30s in first class.
So whats the point? Hes every bit as good a batsman as several others in the side currently and wasnt in bad knick against England.
I do wonder though if his fitness is making him a liability now. Its rare he gets through a series unscathed. Not worth the risk and they aint going to drop Marsh after batting his heart out here. Im still going to stubbornly cling to the notion that this isnt exactly a world class Aussie batting line up though.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 14 Feb 2014, 8:43 am

Robin Peterson didn't last too long, Johnson did him in with another absolutely vicious short ball. SA 146-7, AB and Philander, South Africa's last hopes to put a half-decent total on the board, out in the middle.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 14 Feb 2014, 8:50 am

OK, Johnson is on fire and it can't be too pleasant facing him. But why are people not trying to hook him ? They are getting out taking evasive action so they might as well try to hit the ball. AB is looking good, though.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 14 Feb 2014, 8:56 am

Nasty ball to poor Peterson...bit much for a "bowler who can bat" to handle first up in the morning.

De Villiers seems to be playing in a different dimension from the others. If he can get some support from the tail he could still get this score over 200 ; but they are looking at trailing by quite a few anyway. Doubt Clarke would be enforcing the follow on even if he gets the chance.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:02 am

sirfredperry wrote:OK, Johnson is on fire and it can't be too pleasant facing him. But why are people not trying to hook him ? They are getting out taking evasive action so they might as well try to hit the ball. AB is looking good, though.

Not much time to make that decision though , Sir Fred...and I think they are a bit unused to facing extreme pace , having come off a series against India - and actually not much Test Cricket lately at all. Might see them a bit more ready next time around ?
Mind you , Johnson with that left arm angle is an awkward one to hook when his bouncers are on target ; which most of them have been in this innings !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:08 am

Good point, Alfie. Wonder if the Test batsmen of late have had it a tad easy compared with days of yore when many sides, including thos in English county cricket, had a "fast and nasty" in their side.
Some of the 1980s county matches were a real test of courage with the likes of Sylv Clarke, Marshall, Daniel, Croft, Garner and co around.
Loved to have seen the likes of Roy Fredericks or Alvin K taking on Johnson. Doubt if they would have been ducking and weaving.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:10 am

sirfredperry wrote:Good point, Alfie. Wonder if the Test batsmen of late have had it a tad easy compared with days of yore when many sides, including thos in English county cricket, had a "fast and nasty" in their side.
  Some of the 1980s county matches were a real test of courage with the likes of Sylv Clarke, Marshall, Daniel, Croft, Garner and co around.
  Loved to have seen the likes of Roy Fredericks or Alvin K taking on Johnson. Doubt if they would have been ducking and weaving.

Or Viv...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:31 am

I blame this on the t20 our entire squad was playing a week before this tour
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:32 am

Lyon with the important breakthrough, halting a dangerous partnership.

Clarke getting good at these reviews these days. SA 189/8.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:36 am

Time to bring the monster back on to mop up?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:39 am

think there was a very clear instruction from upstairs to leave Mitchell Johnson. thing is, it's not just his radar that's improved, his stamina is ridiculous, can't wait him out
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:41 am

Yeah, only AB has the skill and nerve to take the contest to him. The rest are pure cannon fodder.

Wow, what a catch from Warner!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:45 am

Awww the century would have been well deserved. Class.

The only shining star in a black sky.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next