The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curtis Woodhouse vs Darren Hamilton (spoilers)

+12
88Chris05
sittingringside
aja424
sparxz
djlovesyou
The Beast
spencerclarke
Diamond in the rough
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
rob-glos
hampo17
16 posters

Go down

Curtis Woodhouse vs Darren Hamilton (spoilers) Empty Curtis Woodhouse vs Darren Hamilton (spoilers)

Post by hampo17 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 10:28 pm

I know people have their opinions on him, but he and Darren Hamilton served up a war tonight and deserve an awful lot of credit.

Fair play to Woodhouse, he kept going and that last round was superb. Retires as British champion, and £250k better off because of a bet he made when he turned pro!

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Curtis Woodhouse vs Darren Hamilton (spoilers) Empty Re: Curtis Woodhouse vs Darren Hamilton (spoilers)

Post by rob-glos Sat 22 Feb 2014, 10:42 pm

Amazing story. 
Promised his dad on his deathbed that he'd be british champion...

Sure his life story would make a great book and maybe even a film!
The atmosphere when it was announced was fantastic.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Curtis Woodhouse vs Darren Hamilton (spoilers) Empty Re: Curtis Woodhouse vs Darren Hamilton (spoilers)

Post by milkyboy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 10:43 pm

Yeh hampo, you have to give him his due. It was a fight high on endeavour if pretty low on quality. I thought he deserved the nod, and if he's good to his word and retires, good luck to the guy.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 22 Feb 2014, 11:05 pm

It's refreshing to see somebody set out realistic goals for himself like Woodhouse did, his aim was to become British champion and he achieved that. It wasn;t a flashy or expansive target, I got the impression he just wanted to prove a point that despite not being the best he was doing something he enjoyed and was quite efficient at.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sat 22 Feb 2014, 11:37 pm

Good fight glad woodhouse won but I had Hamilton nicking it

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 23 Feb 2014, 12:05 am

Nobody watched the tommy coyle fight then. FOY contender. Any more knockdowns and the winner would have a minus score.

Every thing you need in a modern classic. Ebbs and flows, head shot knockdowns, body shot knockdowns, low blows, point deductions and a controversial late stoppage.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 23 Feb 2014, 12:06 am

A credit to hard work really. Successful in two sports and now returns to football to be a manager. All the best to him in the future and on his next chapter.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 23 Feb 2014, 12:11 am

milkyboy wrote:Nobody watched the tommy coyle fight then. FOY contender. Any more knockdowns and the winner would have a minus score.

Every thing you need in a modern classic. Ebbs and flows, head shot knockdowns, body shot knockdowns, low blows, point deductions and a controversial late stoppage.

Yes, wow, wow, wow, what a fight you have hit the nail on the head that had everything  Shocked 

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 23 Feb 2014, 12:12 am

Was fortunate not to have been stopped in that 10-7 round. You would imagine the Argentinian would have been stopped in similar circumstances.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 23 Feb 2014, 12:34 am

djlovesyou wrote:Was fortunate not to have been stopped in that 10-7 round. You would imagine the Argentinian would have been stopped in similar circumstances.

Agreed, as demonstrated by what seemed an early unfair stoppage, full credit for both for getting up I thought Coyle in particular was finished after the second body shot kd.

Coyle perhaps also could have been DQ'd and perhaps a bit harsh on the ref who not have to be human not to be affected by the action/atmosphere but Brizuela's point deduction was very unfair IMO.

So much happened I need to see it again, so much happened I can't remember which round the kd's/point deductions were in!

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sun 23 Feb 2014, 12:35 am

Coyle fight was amazing points deductions and ridiculous amount of knockdowns! Wanted to see the score cards at the end though

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 23 Feb 2014, 12:37 am

Yeah, crazy fight. Although, even with all the points off and knockdowns, you knew it was still super close.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Sun 23 Feb 2014, 8:16 am

Great fight to watch, Coyle showed great heart , but Kevin Mitchell stops him in 4, too reckless for world class and throws punches when should be grabbing and spoiling.

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:11 am

Well pleased with the win, excellent story.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:36 pm

Mitchell and Coyle would be a great dustup, Coyle has had some failings exposed but he's shown some serious fighting heart too.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 24 Feb 2014, 9:29 am

The Coyle-Brizuela fight was absolutely immense. Hats off to both, can’t remember the last fight I enjoyed as much as that. As good as any fight anyone here has seen in a UK ring? Appreciate it’s got some barnstormers and spellbinders to compete with on that front but for me the Coyle-Brizuela fight wouldn’t look out of place next to any of them.

Amazing stuff, and I was literally giddy in the eleventh when Coyle dropped Brizuela with that right hand after thinking two seconds beforehand that Tommy was about to be stopped (thought that in the sixth, too!).

What a fight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Feb 2014, 9:46 am

Glad I recorded it Chris. Will watch it tonight, have heard nothing but good things about the fight. Like Coyle, is fast becoming a bit of a domestic Gatti, always good to watch.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 24 Feb 2014, 10:48 am

I've just watched it. Wow! Fight of the year and round of the year wrapped up there then. How on earth each man managed to get up each time is beyond me. When I saw some of the knock downs I thought you guys must all of been wrong about how long the fight went as I kept thinking they were out. Incredible stuff.

I was ok with the finish because of the amount of punishment throughout the fight, but coyle could easily have been stopped on at least two occasions. Busy night for the ref, very hard work for him.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 24 Feb 2014, 10:49 am

By the way it's strange to see nobody has complained about how weak a card it was with no competitive match ups. :-D

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Mon 24 Feb 2014, 11:03 am

I echo all of the comments about the Coyle fight. Simply stunning. The ref made a couple of bad calls in deducting a point so easily for Brizuela (and the second one for Coyle for that matter) and also stopping it early but I'm just glad that it didn't steal the headlines as was the case with Froch and Groves. I'm sure I read that Coyle broke a rib after the first body shot KD so he's shown massive heart to keep going.

As much as I like Coyle, I think he'll really struggle with Mitchell. My thoughts whilst watching the fight were that Mitchell is simply a better verion of Brizuela. However, Mitchell has shown himself to be a bit vulnerable in the chin department so it will be a great fight whilst it lasts. I think it may end up being a case of levels though.

I have to say, the Woodhouse fight was a bit emotional ! I think Hamilton just nicked it but big respect to him for not dwelling on it in the post fight interview and letting Woodhouse have his moment.

Fantastic night of boxing. Ironically, the dullest fight was from the most promising fighter. It's definitely time that Campbell was put in there with an opponent who is interested in winning.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 24 Feb 2014, 11:09 am

How about Coyle against Buckland? There are a lot of tasty fights around that weight domestically with most of the boxers having one or two weaknesses that make no fight would be a forgone conclusion. Not sure that Jamie Moore is the best man for tommy's corner though, he always loved a ruck too! He's going to be a massive crowd puller over his next few fights at least though. Great heart and loves a scrap.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 24 Feb 2014, 11:16 am

Echoing the above. I had no plans to watch the bill, but flicked the tv over just as the woodhouse fight got underway. One of my better decisions.

A healthy reminder that you don't need great fighters to have a great fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 24 Feb 2014, 11:24 am

Exactly milky. The more boxing the better I say. I'm hoping the Aintree card in a couple of weeks is televised as there should be a couple of decent fights there.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 24 Feb 2014, 2:26 pm

I like the way Woodhouse refused to confirm or deny his 5 grand bet. Probably knew Adam Booth was listening and would have demanded 20% of that too!

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 24 Feb 2014, 2:31 pm

Wonder If he'll retire.........I know he has a job in soccer but......He could get one of them at anytime !!

A British title means triple your money at least........

Maybe rematch the irritating-with-the-rapper-leading-him-in, average powder puff wally he beat the other night...

Easy money.........second time around.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down