The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Draw: Murray in Nadals half, Federer gets tough opener

+6
Tenez
superochog
graf_the_greatest
GloucesterBear
sonic_boom10
bogbrush
10 posters

Go down

French Draw: Murray in Nadals half, Federer gets tough opener Empty French Draw: Murray in Nadals half, Federer gets tough opener

Post by bogbrush Fri May 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Nadal won't be at all happy with that, and Andys quarter looks eminently unthreatening (as much as a Slam can be). Would beating Murray and Djokovic be his nightmare line up, after what Murray did to him in the Monte Carlo 2nd set and might have finished off but for injury?

Toughie for Fed, against a player he only got by in 3 tough sets the other week. He will need to be careful. That said, he'd prefer Djokovic in the semis over Nadal, match-up, that sort of thing.

Anyway, discuss!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

French Draw: Murray in Nadals half, Federer gets tough opener Empty Re: French Draw: Murray in Nadals half, Federer gets tough opener

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri May 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Murray is no threat to Nadal over 5 sets at Roland Garros.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

French Draw: Murray in Nadals half, Federer gets tough opener Empty Re: French Draw: Murray in Nadals half, Federer gets tough opener

Post by GloucesterBear Fri May 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Tennis amazing time of year in my view.

Seen the draws and even though Nadal and Federer are superior players, Isner and Lopez could prove difficult for both. Isner has slipped down though and clay for a big man like him isn't that good, but Lopez can spring a suprise now and again he will probably get a set of Federer but doesn't play to his full potential.

Nadal or Djokovic will of course win it, with the Womens draw ever so wide open as usual.
GloucesterBear
GloucesterBear

Back to top Go down

Post by graf_the_greatest Fri May 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Nadal also has Soderling in his quarter of the draw but Isner on clay won't be as dangerous as on a faster court.

Djokovic also has some tricky players lurking on his side of the draw with a 3rd round opponent likely to be Del Potro and 4th round either Gasquet or Bellucci.

So we will see...

graf_the_greatest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri May 20, 2011 1:45 pm

I'm not so sure about Nadal>Murray; Murray schooled Nadal in that set, something which hadn't happened on clay for a very long time up until that day. Indeed it was a harder experience even that the four sets he subsequently played against Djokovic.

He also gave Djokovic a far better match than Rafa did. He has a tidy draw; I think he has decent chances.

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by superochog Fri May 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Murry should thank his lucky start - what an easy draw. Fell sorry for Djoko and Nadal with some tricky players right from the start.

superochog

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 20, 2011 2:03 pm

I find the draw quite balanced for once.

Federer has a tough opponent to start with but before the semi he has no particular danger...and certainly I am sure he'd prefer to play Djoko and possibly Murray than Nadal then Djoko!

Nadal has a tough one with Davydenko. Espeically as it seems easier to beat Nadal on clay than on HC nowadays.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by GloucesterBear Fri May 20, 2011 2:07 pm

I usually analyse both sets of draws carefully and see what my outcome is for the final.

Bit weird and sad I guess but I enjoy it, analyse the mens draw and women's draw and see what I get as my predicted Round of 32 line up, which is where the French Open draw gets very exciting.

Gasquet could be the surprise package, but like I said above Nadal and Djokovic will win this hands down, forget Andy Murray yes did well at Rome but him and clay are a match made in hell most of the time.
GloucesterBear
GloucesterBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Murray has the game to beat Nadal and he, actually both, know it.

Delpo has the firpower to blast Djoko of court but that is more unlikely with his recent injury.

I really think it is a balanced draw.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri May 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Tenez wrote:Murray has the game to beat Nadal and he, actually both, know it.

Delpo has the firpower to blast Djoko of court but that is more unlikely with his recent injury.

Yes, and Lopez has the game to beat a below-par Federer. That is definitely the round one potential upset match. If Federer turns up as in the Gasquet match he could be having a long preparation for Wimbledon.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Fri May 20, 2011 5:16 pm

bogbrush wrote:

Yes, and Lopez has the game to beat a below-par Federer. That is definitely the round one potential upset match. If Federer turns up as in the Gasquet match he could be having a long preparation for Wimbledon.
Lopez laughing

Sreiously?! Really?! You expect Lopoez to beat Federer?
He'll have to play the match of the century to beat a below-par Federer, let alone a half decent Federer that turns up.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri May 20, 2011 5:24 pm

I AM AWESOME wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Lopez laughing

He'll have to play the match of the century to beat a below-par Federer, let alone a half decent Federer that turns up.

Nope, didn't say "expect", I said .... well it's up there in quotes.

He was close enough the other week wasn't he? And Federer was appalling against Gasquet.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Fri May 20, 2011 5:29 pm

bogbrush wrote:
I AM AWESOME wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Lopez laughing

Nope, didn't say "expect", I said .... well it's up there in quotes.

He was close enough the other week wasn't he? And Federer was appalling against Gasquet.

Yep and this was when Federer was appalling yet even then Gasquet had to take him to 3 sets from which 2 were tie breaks. I fully expect Federer to cruise through the first round if even an average Fed turns up. Hopefully reckless Federer turns up though. Very Happy

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 20, 2011 5:50 pm

[quote="bogbrush"Yes, and Lopez has the game to beat a below-par Federer. That is definitely the round one potential upset match. If Federer turns up as in the Gasquet match he could be having a long preparation for Wimbledon.
[/quote]Yes but I am not that worried frankly....especially over 5 sets.

And Federer was appalling against Gasquet.

I only saw the first 2 sets that Federer should have won while serving for it...but you right Fed has been quite erratic recently despite producing one of his best display on clay v Nadal in their Madrid semi.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri May 20, 2011 7:15 pm

The french open should focus on whether or not it's nets are up to regulations this year. The standard recently has been appauling and needs to change - fast. To be honest, with the occasional grey patches on some of the net cords making players eyes bleed out and heights being a few millimetres below standard, we might as well not have a net.

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri May 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:The french open should focus on whether or not it's nets are up to regulations this year. The standard recently has been appauling and needs to change - fast. To be honest, with the occasional grey patches on some of the net cords making players eyes bleed out and heights being a few millimetres below standard, we might as well not have a net.

This wasn't funny when you started a lame thread about it, and it's certainly not funny on a thread for tennis fans to discuss.

Please keep on topic or I'll be asking for the thread to be cleaned up.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sat May 21, 2011 12:34 am

bogbrush wrote:
Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:The french open should focus on whether or not it's nets are up to regulations this year. The standard recently has been appauling and needs to change - fast. To be honest, with the occasional grey patches on some of the net cords making players eyes bleed out and heights being a few millimetres below standard, we might as well not have a net.

This wasn't funny when you started a lame thread about it, and it's certainly not funny on a thread for tennis fans to discuss.

Ah, sorry. Allow me to redeem myself.

I noticed that at a certain point in the Rome Masters Final, Novak Djokovic bounced the ball a lot, and Rafael Nadal wasted a lot of time between points doing things he shouldn't have, like re-arranging water bottles and breathing excessively.

I would also advise that Nadal has a 'cakewalk draw', and that Djokovic, Murray, Federer, Soderling and Jarkko Niemenan face a near impossible task thanks to the ATP's (fixed) draw system of even making the quarter finals.

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat May 21, 2011 8:51 am

Djokovic's draw looks brutal unless he gets a couple of upsets of his opposition beforehand. If things playout to form he has tough first round match up for a grandslam in De Bakker, then in third round he gets del po, 4th round Gasquet, quarters Berdych. To me that looks like a murder's row. But I am glad that Fed is in half instead of murray. Murray in my mind currently is a tougher matchup for Nole than Fed. I think Novak will do the same thing to Roger that Nadal does on clay. Novak will direct a lot of heavy topspin shots at Fed's backhand and wait for the weak reply or the error. Plus hit a lot of kick serves to fed's one handed backhand. Although obviously both have a long way to go to the semi. Djoko has a good head to head against Del Po and Gasquet, but those could be really tough matchups and if Berdych is feeling it he can hit anyone off the court on his day.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat May 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Ah, sorry. Allow me to redeem myself.

I noticed that at a certain point in the Rome Masters Final, Novak Djokovic bounced the ball a lot, and Rafael Nadal wasted a lot of time between points doing things he shouldn't have, like re-arranging water bottles and breathing excessively.

I would also advise that Nadal has a 'cakewalk draw', and that Djokovic, Murray, Federer, Soderling and Jarkko Niemenan face a near impossible task thanks to the ATP's (fixed) draw system of even making the quarter finals.

You're making yourself out to be a fool.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat May 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Bogbrush - please don't use the report feature AND then reply to a thread abusing other posters.

Abuse isn't allowed but if you use the report function as you have done, your report will be processed.

Thank you

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2011 9:16 pm

We are getting very close to deleting completely off topic and tit4tat comments from now on.

Everybody had better sober up, we have the FO for the next two weeks and Wimbledon just round the corner.

It would be a shame that some spontaneous posts may have to combust instantaneously if they break the rules, rather than contribute to a sports thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down