The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is a 50% win ratio good enough for Welsh fans?

+18
George Carlin
Sgt_Pooly
bedfordwelsh
No9
Scratch
fa0019
quinsforever
The Bachelor
Taffineastbourne
Geordie
LondonTiger
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Jimpy
Notch
Biltong
offload
nobbled
Scrumpy
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is a 50% win ratio good enough for Welsh fans? Empty Is a 50% win ratio good enough for Welsh fans?

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 11:53 am

Since June Wales's record is Played 10, Won 5, Lost 5, Is that good enough for the reigning 6 Nation champions?

Wins against - Japan, Argentina, Tonga, Italy and France
Defeats against - Aus, SA, Japan, Ireland and England

To keep some of you happier!

Since October Wales's record is Played 8, Won 4, Lost 4, Is that good enough for the reigning 6 Nation champions?

Wins against - Argentina, Tonga, Italy and France
Defeats against - Aus, SA, Ireland and England

Very Happy 

I know teams go through rough patches now and then but even so with the players they have they should be doing better than a 50% win ratio.
Has Gatland taken this golden generation as far as he can?

This isn't a wind up so please don't take it as such, I just think a team like Wales should be doing better with the players they have. With the RWC getting closer is it time to ring the changes or stick with what you have, which you already know isn't good enough against the big teams?

Last edited by Scrumpy on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Is a 50% win ratio good enough for Welsh fans? Empty Re: Is a 50% win ratio good enough for Welsh fans?

Post by nobbled Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:04 pm

I doubt many Welsh posters/fans will be looking at this 6 Nations and rubbing their hands with glee.
However losing to the top teams happens - it's why they are top.
I think two 6N grand slams earns Gatland some breathing space surely.
He has lost a few - but (apart from this 6N) he's won the important ones.
Too late for a change in management now in any case.
Gatland can be his own worst enemy. What can be defended as confidence prior to a win looks a lot like arrogance after a loss.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Is a 50% win ratio good enough for Welsh fans? Empty Re: Is a 50% win ratio good enough for Welsh fans?

Post by offload Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

Tough question Scrumpy - no doubt designed to elicit some wonderful rugby insight.  After considerable reflection, I think the best answer is no, it's not good enough.  

Now why not set yourself a challenge and see if you can get close to Gatland's contribution.  Try and make 50% of your posts worthwhile and valuable.  I know that's a long term goal, but have a go…

PS: This is not a wind up either.  Wink 
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:15 pm

Thanks for your valuble input offload.

Great as ever, but lets not turn this into some it isn't!

As a rugby fan I think its a fair question to ask, if England had a record like this I for one would want to see changes within the coaching set up at least, even if the head coach stayed.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm

Overall win rate shouldn't be the main concern, we all play teams above and below us in rankings.

It is head to head that should be more important, that is how you know you are better or worse than a team.

For me at least.

I know New Zealand are better than us, no ranking or win rate will tell me that, but head to head is where it is at.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm

But Bil how many times to you play NZ every year?

the only head to head Wales can go on is vs Japan, which is 50/50!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:43 pm

Scrumpy wrote:But Bil how many times to you play NZ every year?

the only head to head Wales can go on is vs Japan, which is 50/50!
Yeah, but you can't go on one match, I tend to look from one coaching era to the next.

Anyone can win a one off match, for example, if we keep losing to NZ until the world cup, but then beat them in the RWC, we still not better than them.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:44 pm

This is pretty similar to your other thread Scrumpy. Couldn't you just have one big thread where you raise questions about the future of the Welsh national team and examine their record?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm

Notch wrote:This is pretty similar to your other thread Scrumpy. Couldn't you just have one big thread where you raise questions about the future of the Welsh national team and examine their record?

If I had the time to do it Notch, to be honest I think this is the more in depth thread.

But in truth most of GE threads are the same theme yet I haven't seen a post from yourself saying as such!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm

Oh I don't know about that...

It was a suggestion, not an order Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

thumbsup 

No problem then.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:57 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Since June Wales's record is Played 10, Won 5, Lost 5, Is that good enough for the reigning 6 Nation champions?

I know teams go through rough patches now and then but even so with the players they have they should be doing better than a 50% win ratio.
Has Gatland taken this golden generation as far as he can?

This isn't a wind up so please don't take it as such, I just think a team like Wales should be doing better with the players they have. With the RWC getting closer is it time to ring the changes or stick with what you have, which you already know isn't good enough against the big teams?

It's funny, but when somebody says that, you know straight away it's a wind up....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:05 pm

Yet another great contribution from Jimpy!

Well done.  clap 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:06 pm

Bilts ...the issue for Wales is that many of the teams they are losing to are those below or that they believe should be below them in the rankings. Its only the big win against France thats perhaps "exceeded expectations" for this season. The summer tour to Japan can be wiped off as an A team fixture, although the loss is still pretty humiliating even without Lions/effort.
SA and Aus can be forgiven as top 3 sides, you expect to lose those. Italy , Tonga they should always be beating.

May be we just look at the 50/50 games for teams Wales should expect to be on a level with ...France England Ireland Argentina. Won 2 lost 2.
50% ...so an average season from that perspective. A loss to a poor Scotland would plunge it into the red mind.

This season is not abnormally bad for Wales, reigning 6 nations chumps or not. It matches their average form over the last decade, and is by no means their worst season in the 6 nations or as a whole.
Obviously any fan would want it to be better.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:09 pm

I would rather have Wales record under Gatland, in it's entirety (with grand Slams of course) than England's in the same period.

Oh and you have forgotten the two wins over Australia in the summer Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:11 pm

So wins against all the Tier 2 sides and a poor France side...and losses against the top Tier 1 sides (and Japan  Erm ) ...

Pretty much shows the true standard of Welsh rugby...maybe we should look at promotion relegation from the 6n...Wales are obviously taking the place of an emerging side like Russia or Georgia...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:15 pm

I think its time that a play off game (for the bottom team) was put in place for teams like Russia and Georgia to have a chance of getting into the 6 Nations, but thats another subject altogether

I thought Gatland was using the Lions tour so that his players would be able to kick on this year and beat the big boys?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:20 pm

One victory out of four matches against Wales.England should be very worried as Wales have clearly been a poor side for some time.Don't panic!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:22 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:One victory out of four matches against Wales.England should be very worried as Wales have clearly been a poor side for some time.Don't panic!

Why is it always about England?

Looking at the bigger picture surely it must worry you that Wales have stagnated of late.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm

Wales have one dodgy Six Nations and suddenly they're doomed... doomed I tell you  picard 

Lets just assume that the original post isn't a wind up/gloat... (I know, you'll have to imagine really hard)...

Have Wales peaked? Probably yes, around 18 months ago (they pulled one out of their backsides to beat England in the last 6N) and were very lucky with other wins in that tournament.

The wins/losses against the teams listed in the original gem of a post are misleading to a point, because it doesn't take into account that some of those matches were played with second string teams whilst the pick of the squads were away with the Lions (just one example). If you take those games out, then the win/loss ratio isn't much better than England's over the same period (although England it could be argued faced stiffer opposition more often).

Should Wales be winning more with the players they have? Maybe. But maybe they they've actually over acheived with what they have? Maybe they've been worked out? Maybe a lack of strength in depth (always a Welsh problem by the way) is to blame? The fact is that A winning coaching combination and some very good players paid dividends initially. The honeymoon is over perhaps, but it's not a hopeless situation by any means. I'm sure that this will be addressed by those concerned but whether the resources exist that will enable a reversal of fortune remains to be seen.

Sticking with what they have might not work against the 'big teams', but then England have have also only had erratic success against 'big teams' with what they have, so who are English supporters to offer opinion on this matter?

why 'should' Wales be doing better when by the original poster's own admission, teams go through bad patches. Is this not just one of them? ? What is a 'golden generation?' who said Wales had one?

Enquiring minds need to know.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bachelor Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:39 pm

Jimpy wrote:Have Wales peaked? Probably yes, around 18 months ago (they pulled one out of their backsides to beat England in the last 6N) and were very lucky with other wins in that tournament.
How were they very lucky with their other wins?

The Bachelor

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:45 pm

no, 50% win ratio since last June is not good enough for Welsh fans. They expect better, and i think i agree with them. But we don't always get what we want or what we think we deserve.

Just like i think England should be on for a slam on Saturday, but slipped up on the French banana-skin so aren't.

anyway, i think Wales will emerge from this stronger. They have a poor front 5 and weak 9/10 combination currently, with a strong backrow and very dangerous 11-15.

it's pretty clear what needs to be worked on, so i see no reason it can't be improved.

thumbsup 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:46 pm

Lucky may have been the wrong word. But they were (purely from memory) scrappy wins. No issues with that at all, but in terms of performance Wales played to what we believe they are capable of only against england (and the 3rd test v Australia Smile )

This current team probably did peak during the 2012 GS, and some pruning will be required.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:49 pm

The Bachelor wrote:
Jimpy wrote:Have Wales peaked? Probably yes, around 18 months ago (they pulled one out of their backsides to beat England in the last 6N) and were very lucky with other wins in that tournament.
How were they very lucky with their other wins?

See LT's post. Scrappy wins would have been a better description.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bachelor Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:58 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Lucky may have been the wrong word. But they were (purely from memory) scrappy wins. No issues with that at all, but in terms of performance Wales played to what we believe they are capable of only against england (and the 3rd test v Australia Smile)

This current team probably did peak during the 2012 GS, and some pruning will be required.
Scrappy? Yes, but not lucky or undeserved. I think the pruning needs to be at 9/10 and 1-5, but Gatland has already talked during this 6N about managing some of our OAPs to ensure they make it to the next RWC.

The Bachelor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:19 pm

The Bachelor wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Lucky may have been the wrong word. But they were (purely from memory) scrappy wins. No issues with that at all, but in terms of performance Wales played to what we believe they are capable of only against england (and the 3rd test v Australia Smile)

Scrappy? Yes, but not lucky or undeserved. I think the pruning needs to be at 9/10 and 1-5, but Gatland has already talked during this 6N about managing some of our OAPs to ensure they make it to the next RWC.

true, Jenkins managed to get a 10 minute rest at the weekend.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:36 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:One victory out of four matches against Wales.England should be very worried as Wales have clearly been a poor side for some time.Don't panic!

Looking at the bigger picture surely it must worry you that Wales have stagnated of late.
I was merely reciprocating the concern shown by our near neighbours about our Rugby. Hug 

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
The Bachelor wrote:

He needs to cut down on his Kitkats!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 3:14 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

I was merely reciprocating the concern shown by our near neighbours about our Rugby. Hug

We're all made of the same stuff and we are all rugby fans.
There is only so much talking up England that is acceptable on this site without people saying we are arrogant, so its a nice change to talk about Wales for a bit.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 11 Mar 2014, 3:25 pm

For a team who aims to win the world cup it doesn't sound like it.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 3:34 pm

Nah, we don't have enough Lions in our team to win the World Cup.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Mar 2014, 3:41 pm

Thanks for the concern again.

Why only going back as far as June? Is it just to ensure that a few more wins aren't added to the ratio? Smells more than a little of an attempt at a dig really. I'd have thought with everything so rosy in HQ at the mo, you would be happy enough just to concern yourself with your own country?

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 11 Mar 2014, 3:46 pm

Don't let Scrumpy get to you. He is just trying to sow discord.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 11 Mar 2014, 3:47 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Don't let Scrumpy get to you. He is just trying to sow discord.

yeah imagine that trying to drive a wedge between the nations that make up Warburtons Britain, how dare he!

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Mar 2014, 3:51 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Don't let Scrumpy get to you. He is just trying to sow discord.

yeah imagine that trying to drive a wedge between the nations that make up Warburtons Britain, how dare he!

Quite  laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 11 Mar 2014, 3:54 pm

I read that as Warburton's Bread

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Thanks for the concern again.

Why only going back as far as June? Is it just to ensure that a few more wins aren't added to the ratio? Smells more than a little of an attempt at a dig really. I'd have thought with everything so rosy in HQ at the mo, you would be happy enough just to concern yourself with your own country?

How far back do you want to go?

Just because I was born in England why does it mean I can't (try to) discuss Wales?
I really don't understand that way of thinking seeing as they are still the current Champions, does that mean Man Utds form shouldn't be talked about by other fans?

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:40 pm

Why is it always about Wales?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:45 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Why is it always about Wales?

Because you are the Champions, provided us Brits with many Lions during the summer, have a group of very talented players who apparently after experiencing a series win in Aus were going to move onto bigger and better things this year, yet they have taken a big step backwards imo and are in a position where they might have to blood two new Props in quick time as the current guys are struggling.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:52 pm

offload wrote:Tough question Scrumpy - no doubt designed to elicit some wonderful rugby insight.  After considerable reflection, I think the best answer is no, it's not good enough.  

Now why not set yourself a challenge and see if you can get close to Gatland's contribution.  Try and make 50% of your posts worthwhile and valuable.  I know that's a long term goal, but have a go…

PS: This is not a wind up either.  Wink 

he'll struggle with the numbers, but brilliant incisive attacking.  thumbsup 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:53 pm

Rest easy.We will be alright.Every side loses now and again.Just think back to England v France and you did ok on Sunday.
Don't worry about us.Thanks anyway.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:Thanks for the concern again.

How far back do you want to go?

Just because I was born in England why does it mean I can't (try to) discuss Wales?
I really don't understand that way of thinking seeing as they are still the current Champions, does that mean Man Utds form shouldn't be talked about by other fans?

Because your stumbling fumbling OP reveals you know less than nothing about Welsh rugby?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bachelor Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

The Bachelor wrote:

and in the game vs France too!

The Bachelor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:58 pm

Its amazing isn't it, same old people too scared to enter into a sensible discussion!

Not aimed at you Bachelor  Wink 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Mar 2014, 7:07 pm

If you are desperate for sensible discussion, post a thread about Ireland rugby instead banter boy. You were pining so bad for them last week too, bless  Hug Failing that add this post to your other thread about Wales, to help that along as well.

Here to help  thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 8:24 pm

Oh there's another great post, nice one!

Sod off and wum else where wumboy Very Happy

Some of you are just coming across as Bitter.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Mar 2014, 8:34 pm

That's it report it wumboy

Please feel free to make a contribution that is on topic!

I really wonder if some of you truly love our game?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Wed 12 Mar 2014, 5:29 pm

Scrumpy, for a so called English Rugby Fan, you're posts since Sunday have been all about the demise of Welsh Rugby....

If you don't think this is Wum'ing then your delusional or stupid, and I don't want to call you stupid as I'm the one who'll face a ban...

Mods - You need to look at mr Scrumpy's recent posts and take action, not contribute to his WUMS... Lets not forget the Rules of Engagement you posted for us before the 6 Nations. Now try enforcing them with a little consistency, as Scrumpys (and other noticeable posters) WUMs are wearing a bit thin... Just as we ask for consistency from Refs, we need the Mods to show the same level of neutral authority.

(Oh and I haven't reported you behind your back Scrumpy... I'm more than happy to go on record here to your face.. )

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 12 Mar 2014, 5:34 pm

No9 wrote:Scrumpy, for a so called English Rugby Fan, you're posts since Sunday have been all about the demise of Welsh Rugby....

If you don't think this is Wum'ing then your delusional or stupid, and I don't want to call you stupid as I'm the one who'll face a ban...

Mods - You need to look at mr Scrumpy's recent posts and take action, not contribute to his WUMS... Lets not forget the Rules of Engagement you posted for us before the 6 Nations. Now try enforcing them with a little consistency, as Scrumpys (and other noticeable posters) WUMs are wearing a bit thin... Just as we ask for consistency from Refs, we need the Mods to show the same level of neutral authority.

(Oh and I haven't reported you behind your back Scrumpy... I'm more than happy to go on record here to your face.. )

clap clap 

fyi to retort to this guy leads to warnings from the MODS, not sure why the Welsh WUM threads are tolerated with impunity from certain posters, one hopes they nationality is not the deciding factor but i can just imagine if i posted a 'Will England be satisfied with another 2nd place in the 6 Nations this year" what would happen….

How about some equality across the board?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Mar 2014, 5:46 pm

Gentlemen, you are starting to try my patience, each and every one of you who has been involved with winding up other posters, making remarks of a snide, unpleasant or sarcastic manner towards another are in line for some corrective measures.

I don't really care whether you are anti English, Anti Welsh, Anti Irish or for that matter anti human race.

It is becoming pathetic to say the least, we are trying not to take action against every minor infringement (ie. letting the game flow) and rather taking action against repeat infringements.

If these petty squabbles continue, we may have to call the game off and all have a quiet final six nations weekend.

Start using your foe buttons, or alternatively simply learn not to respond when you are being offended.

And most of all, behave like adults, this is enough now.

As of this moment I will be collating data on every poster who ignores this request for proper adult behaviour, he mods will discuss each individual whether he/she was reported or not and decide upon the approriate action.

Decided whether you want to be around for this coming weekend.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next