The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland - two in a row

+21
TrailApe
Jimpy
Biltong
nobbled
The Great Aukster
Scratch
Artful_Dodger
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
HammerofThunor
ChequeredJersey
Cyril
mystiroakey
SecretFly
GunsGerms
Notch
Nachos Jones
Taffineastbourne
rodders
ME-109
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ireland - two in a row Empty Ireland - two in a row

Post by ME-109 Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:44 am

As this was an even year with France and England away we have an unprecedented possibility of Ireland winning two in a row, considering the team had a number of geriatrics and a couple of pedestrian players there is a real possibility of this...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Ireland - two in a row Empty Re: Ireland - two in a row

Post by rodders Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:55 am

I think it's possible yes. Schmidt will have another 12 months with the side and there is huge scope for improvement.

Some really experienced top players like SOB, Bowe, Ferris, Earls, Zebo, Fitzgerald, Donnacha Ryan didn't feature at all and with young guys like Ruddock, Jackson, Henderson, Murray, Marmion, Hanaran, O'Donnell, Gilroy, Marshall there the depth should be even better next year. Jared Payne will be qualified too.

England are a side on the up too though but I think we are in a great place now.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 am

Wales have done it.Why shouldn't Ireland?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 am

Because we're still trying to get used to winning one in a row.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:08 am

I don't see any reason why Ireland cant back this up but it will be very difficult as England are coming along in leaps and bounds. They sort of have that feeling around them leading up to RWC-03.
Wales also finally looked in good shape yesterday as well and they are also a side that can push on next year.
A properly coached French side will be very good as well.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:15 am

Here's a blydi brilliant stat- the only team to concede less points than Ireland 2014 in a Six Nations was Englands vintage of 2003.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:16 am

Sexton will need to put in a lot of kicking practice.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:16 am

Ireland have a stack of 'homework' to do before contemplating a repeat.

That looked much easier (and I'm not saying it looked all that easy - it looked damn tough!) but I'm certain it looked easier than the 8 weeks behind the scenes were -as many of the players alluded to

I'm sure the extended squad played very much a central part in preparing the game day teams and should be given due credit for that.  And we will need to check out many areas now to fine-tune what Schmidt has begun to create.  Even he is well aware of the headache he has given himself because now we are a marked team.  

Opponents look much more closely at winning sides.  Opponents save their A games for winning sides.  There is nowhere to hide and come in under a radar when a winning side (as Wales have found out this season)

So it's going to be a hard ask to repeat next year. But if we're ever going to have a crack at it, I believe we have the coach to make that crack realistic this time.

The complication for all sides next season though is the WC that will be coming quickly enough after that.  There might be much more hiding of a true hand in next year's 6N.  Players themselves will be psychologically restrained a little in trying to keep themselves uninjured.  There will be many little extra angles lurking next year that might influence how hard teams really try during it.

6N itself will have a different feel as genuinely it will be a second fiddle contest that year.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:21 am

GunsGerms wrote:Sexton will need to put in a lot of kicking practice.

Correct. A big big issue. Bigger than perhaps many believe it to be. Heads sink in a team when monumental effort gets a penalty in a tough tough game like yesterday and the kicker is taking forever to contemplate taking his kick and then misses. That eats into team confidence and it needs solving before next season.... even if it means kicking duty is given to a different player. Sexton has a lot of mental baggage with kicking in big international games. I'm not sure O'Gara has the coaching ammunition to help him through his mental stuff.

But the team itself will need a solution and Schmidt must have it as a priority

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:27 am

I actually think that Sexton has been very lucky to not be penalised for taking so much time to contemplate his kicks. Yesterday, one of his kicks took nearly two minutes.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:37 am

The england ireland game is going to be epic next year.

i hope its the last game.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:44 am

mystiroakey wrote:The england ireland game is going to be epic next year.

England v France is the final game.

Friday, 6 February
Wales v England (20:05 GMT)

Saturday, 7 February

Italy v Ireland (14:30 GMT), France v Scotland (17:00 GMT)

Saturday, 14 February

England v Italy (14:30 GMT), Ireland v France (17:00 GMT)

Sunday, 15 February

Scotland v Wales (15:00 GMT)

Saturday, 28 February

Scotland v Italy (14:30 GMT), France v Wales (17:00 GMT)

Sunday, 1 March

Ireland v England (15:00 GMT)

Saturday, 14 March

Wales v Ireland (14:30 GMT), England v Scotland (17:00 GMT)

Sunday, 15 March

Italy v France (15:00 GMT)

Saturday, 21 March

Italy v Wales (12:30 GMT), Scotland v Ireland (14:30 GMT), England v France (17:00 GMT)

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:48 am

mystiroakey wrote:The england ireland game is going to be epic next year.

I don't think it is Mystir...I mean I don't think it's the last game. The epic bit...... I unfortunately agree with you Wink It might cause mini earthquakes, that one.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:53 am

It could quite literally sink Ireland mate..

But then again as you stated above certain teams may use it as a last minute practise session for the WC

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Ireland definitely CAN do it. But I'm confident we can win the "hard" 6N away to Ireland and Wales, right now anyway. Lots can change in 12 months and there are certain players whose injuries would really hurt this team
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:25 pm

I reckon if anyone's going to get 2 in a row next year it'll be Ireland

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:27 pm

I cant fault the logic mate/

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Nice one Hammer. Wink I do love a bit of wordplay.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:39 pm

It'll be a great tussle for the top spot between England & Ireland.

If Ireland can sort their midfield out they'll have a serious side. Their scrummaging and breakdown work has been immense.

England just seem to get better every game and hopefully with the additions of Cole, Corbs etc we'll put up a good fight.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Notch wrote:Here's a blydi brilliant stat- the only team to concede less points than Ireland 2014 in a Six Nations was Englands vintage of 2003.

Can we all start accussing you of 10 man rugby and so on and so forth then...  Wink 

In all honesty and joking aside the game plan probably was quite similar to that teams and you definitely had the mix of experienced players and young bloods to pull it off.

As to next year England have blown their easier 6N's chance and it's all up hill in 2015, not sure about Wales or France but Ireland should be looking good for it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:54 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:It'll be a great tussle for the top spot between England & Ireland.

If Ireland can sort their midfield out they'll have a serious side. Their scrummaging and breakdown work has been immense.

England just seem to get better every game and hopefully with the additions of Cole, Corbs etc we'll put up a good fight.

Will they help us to stop squandering overlaps then???

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:57 pm

yappysnap wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:It'll be a great tussle for the top spot between England & Ireland.

Will they help us to stop squandering overlaps then???

Who knows where Ford will be next year, plus we may have Yarde & Wade back fit.

May/Nowell did an ok job but neither are good enough imo.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:51 pm

I am not saying that it is not impossible for Ireland too win next year. But i do think you are hoping/ dreaming really. This is only the 2nd time in 20 odd years that Ireland have won the 6ns.

A bit of a tall order, dont you think?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:58 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I am not saying that it is not impossible for Ireland too win next year. But i do think you are hoping/ dreaming really. This is only the 2nd time in 20 odd years that Ireland have won the 6ns.

I think you've completely ignored the principle argument made in the OP which is that if this squad can do it with away games against England and France which we won't have next year then we will certainly be contenders again next season with England and France in Dublin.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:58 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I am not saying that it is not impossible for Ireland too win next year. But i do think you are hoping/ dreaming really. This is only the 2nd time in 20 odd years that Ireland have won the 6ns.

A bit less tall than this year, after all it's always a bit easier when we have France and England at home. There are always 3 or 4 sides who can realistically win the tournament at the outset and we'll still be one of them. Why not?

Last edited by Notch on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Tall orders are perfect ingredients for dreaming.  Nothing is impossible, even history that spreads into years won't deny what happens in reality - as last night showed.

The Championship or GS is theoretically actually more doable next year than it was this year. We had England and France (traditionally our two biggest threats in 6N) away this year.  Next year they'll both be at home and we'll be a year longer into anything Schmidt is trying to create.  Ireland dreams, England dreams, France dreams, Wales dreams .... and anything is possible

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:12 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Tall orders are perfect ingredients for dreaming.  Nothing is impossible, even history that spreads into years won't deny what happens in reality - as last night showed.

The Championship or GS is theoretically actually more doable next year than it was this year.  We had England and France (traditionally our two biggest threats in 6N) away this year.  Next year they'll both be at home and we'll be a year longer into anything Schmidt is trying to create.  Ireland dreams, England dreams, France dreams, Wales dreams .... and anything is possible
After the England/Wales game I had a dream that I was up against Adam Jones in a scrum and I was so good he got a straight red card for a 1st offence. Anything is, indeed, possible Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Ireland have a very good chance.

They've got a good coach and a winning game plan. Next year will be tough with a few ageing players but I certainly wouldn't bet against them.

It'll defiantly be between Ireland & England.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:

I think you've completely ignored the principle argument made in the OP which is that if this squad can do it with away games against England and France which we won't have next year then we will certainly be contenders again next season with England and France in Dublin.

Winning the championship for Ireland is always a tall order..but. here is what we have going for us.

1. England and France at home.
2. A forwards coach and a group of forwards (not just the starting 8) with depth.
3. A steady scrum and lots of options becoming available.
4. A game plan that is simple and effective and a coach who has managed to instil this in the squad in a relatively short period of time.

Sure there is a lot of hoping and dreaming but come back to me after the tour to Argentina and the November Intls and maybe there is more logic than hope.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Who are Ireland playing in the AI's?

In my opinion a lot of belief came from that NZ game last year, if you have another good performance in the AI's then yes I think you'll be well set to win the comp again.

The closeness of the tournament this year and last has shown that perhaps GS's are going to become harder to achieve and teams can begin to drop a game and still realistically focus on winning on points difference.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Saffers and Aus in November (plus a tier two nation - dont know who)

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:13 pm

D'arcy has killed off our chances of winning next year anyway since he shaved off the beast. It's all down hill from here. Pretty selfish act by him.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:27 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Ireland have a very good chance.

They've got a good coach and a winning game plan. Next year will be tough with a few ageing players but I certainly wouldn't bet against them.

It'll defiantly be between Ireland & England.

YAWN

Wales have Ireland and England in Cardiff, every chance they will bounce back they usually do. What we KNOW is that England will come 2nd, they ALWAYS do.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:08 pm

This is a debate about challengers for next years 6N Scratch, why bring up Wales?!!'

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:This is a debate about challengers for next years 6N Scratch, why bring up Wales?!!'

zzzzzzzzzzz

maybe because we win it and England don't.  laughing 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:This is a debate about challengers for next years 6N Scratch, why bring up Wales?!!'

zzzzzzzzzzz

maybe because we win it and England don't.  laughing 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:17 pm

England won the 6N in 2011, bizarre comment.

It sounds like you started watching rugby in 2012 and nothing else matters before then.

Wales will win 2 matches next year. It'll be Ireland's or England's title.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:06 pm

SecretFly wrote:D'arcy has killed off our chances of winning next year anyway since he shaved off the beast.  It's all down hill from here.  Pretty selfish act by him.

The beard of power can only be attached to the bearer for a limited period, before it turns them into an anti-player. Dorce was really pushing it going as as far as he did and had to be subbed by the all seeing eye of Schmidt just before he went native.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:18 pm

In answer to the OP - yes. Ireland stand a good chance. Good team, good coach and a more favourable home/away timetable.

A real possibility.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 pm

Why not celebrate the win and worry about next year when it comes around?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:31 pm

No we're in a hurry now with present form before it leaks away, Bilt.  We want the next four Six Nations to be held in the next five months...and the next two world cups after the 2015 one to be held before 2015 Wink

No time for celebrations, we have work to do!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Biltong wrote:Why not celebrate the win and worry about next year when it comes around?

Celebrations are done and dusted, have the hangover to prove it...time to move on. Beat Argentina, Aus and SA and win the GS next year....simples.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:46 pm

ok so how about just concentrate on argentina first then.

tbh though they really arnt much cop at the moment!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Always look forward Bill!

You're only as good as your last 6N but there's always hope for your next.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:25 pm

ME-109 wrote:Saffers and Aus in November (plus a tier two nation - dont know who)

Wales.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:32 pm

I see what you did there Jimpy.

Nice. Very Happy 
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:44 pm

How will Ireland be without BOD?

Who can replace him at OC and who will replace his leadership?

Victor Matfield couldn't replace the leadership of Smit even though Bismarck surpassed him as a hooker.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:52 pm

fa0019 wrote:How will Ireland be without BOD?

Who can replace him at OC and who will replace his leadership?

Victor Matfield couldn't replace the leadership of Smit even though Bismarck surpassed him as a hooker.

Ireland will be fine because our success this year is built on strong foundations based on teamwork rather than individuals. We also have great depth. Just look at the team of players that didnt regularly play in the 6 nations:

15 Simon Zebo/Payne
14 Earls/Gilroy
13 Payne/Hendshaw/Fitzgerald
12 Marshall
11 Bowe/Fitz
10 Madigan/Jackson/Hanrahan
9 Marmion/Reddan
8 Copeland/Ruddock/Murphy
7 SOB/O'Donnell
6 Ferris
5 Ryan/
4 McCarthy/Tuohy
3 Moore/Archer
2 Strauss/Cronin
1 McGrath/kilcoyne

There are 6 Lions on that list and a host of international test macth experience there. Serious strength in depth. Every team plays to their strengths. If ours isnt at centre Schmidt has the intellegence to focus our tactics elsewhere.

in terms of leadership he will be missed but there are 5 other really strong leaders in the team, Heaslip, POC, Best, Sexton and POM. Leadership isnt an issue.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Just for the record it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Ireland won 2 in a row in 82 / 83.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:04 pm

GG i know what you are saying... there are strong leaders in that side.... but I don't doubt BOD also had perhaps the 1st or 2nd most respected voice in the locker room.

POC naturally, POM looks like he is stepping up, Sexton also but one thing is true is that players like BOD are often felt more in their absence then they are in their presence.

We'll see. Playing, I don't think it will be an issue. Directive and leadership, we'll see.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next