The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland and the summer tour!

+36
Argybargy
highland_scot
Shifty
madmaccas
bluestonevedder
Second Ranker
MacKnocked-on
Captain_Sensible
nickj
IanBru
kiakahaaotearoa
demosthenes
cakeordeath
RDW
funnyExiledScot
TJ
George Carlin
Scratch
GLove39
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
BigGee
Tattie Scones RRN
Dorothy_Mantooth
R!skysports
jimbopip
alive555
Nematode
takethelongroad
Solid8
reallybored
Biltong
Majestic83
40 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

Scotland and the summer tour! - Page 12 Empty Scotland and the summer tour!

Post by Majestic83 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 6:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Games:

Saturday 7 June:
United States of America v Scotland
BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, Texas

Saturday 14 June:
Canada v Scotland
BMO Field, Toronto, Ontario

Saturday 21 June:
Argentina v Scotland
Estadio Mario Alberto Kempes, Córdoba

Saturday 28 June:
South Africa v Scotland
Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

Now the 6 nations are over there will be major changes for Scotland between now and the next international.
Vern Cotter will be the head coach for the next test with scott Johnson moving to director of rugby. Unclear yet if Cotter will bring in his own coaching team or whether he will inherit the current crop.

The 6 nations has been a disaster for Scotland but I still believe Scotland has some very good players and a lot of the problems in the 6 nations stem from poor coaching, tactics, very bad selection and man management. Glasgow regularly beat the top Rambo teams, Edinburgh can as well and a lot of the exile players are playing at the very top teams in England and France and winning week in week out but for some reason when they pull on the blue jersey something just isn't there.
This will all change when Cotter arrives. Speaking to Chris Paterson and al kellock a few weeks ago they can't wait for cotter to arrive as they say his coaching style and manner is that of a modern day Jim Telfer and they believe exactly what this squad need.

From a playing point of view there are a few players that should be dropped and not selected for the summer tour. For me they are Ryan Wilson, Tim Swinson, Greig Laidlaw.
Wilson is good at number 8 for Glasgow but is not a 6 at international level. We have 3 far better 6's available yet none were picked. Would Wilson get in the team at 8? For me, nope. Denton, Beattie are far better options and I would say Ali Hogg is also far better than wilson. Why was he picked? Because Johnson thought he was a good "kid". It's not wilson a fault he was picked out of position but there are far better options.
Tim Swinson was very poor compared to his form on last years summer tour. He didn't seem to have the same grunt or energy and was ver ineffective. Again there are other options at lock like Gilchrist who has improved a lot this season and has a harder edge about him now and also johnnycake gray.
Greig Laidlaw was put in the autumn tests and even worse in the 6 nations. His decision making was poor, his service was extremely slow. He offers no break or snipe at all and his main attribute his goal kicking has been poor. Custer looks far sharper, when he has played and deserves a shot. He also has very good leadership qualities. Grayson Hart is also in top form and deserves a chance on recent form. Quick pass, physical and knows the way to the line.

The Backrow was the biggest concern during the 6 nations, it was unbalanced and very off pace. The back row needs balance and a good back row will have 3 players with different qualities, a scavenger who makes a nuisance of himself and tackles his heart out. A hard worker who will do the unseen stuff at the breakdown and then a big athletic ball carrier who will run all day making the hard yards. Scotland have these options but went for three players who were all very similar. It didn't work and must be changed.

The summer tour we play Canada, USA, Argentina and South Africa. The first two teams we "should" beat comfortably the other two will be tough and physical. They will probably take a squad of between 32 and 35.
I'd go with 6 props
Ryan grant
Ali Dickinson
Jon welsh but has to move back to loose head where he is far more destructive.
Euan murray
Geoff cross
Moray low not great during 6 nations but would like to see what difference cotter can make.

Squad

North America

LH - Allan, Reid, Traynor
H - Bryce, Lawson, McArthur
TH - Cross, Low
SR - Gilchrist, Gray, Hamilton, Low
6/8 - Beattie, Brown, Strokosh
7 - Cowan

SH - Hart, Laidlaw
SO - Heathcoat, Russell
IC - Taylor
OC -Bennett
W - Evans, Lamont, Maitland, Visser
FB - Hogg

Argentina / SA

LH - Dickinson, Reid
H - Bryce, Ford, McArthur
TH - Cross, Low, Welsh
SR - Gilchrist, Gray, Swinson
6/8 - Denton, Harley,
7 - Fusaro

SH - Hart, Pyrgos
SO - Jackson, Weir
IC - Horne
OC - ?
W - Fife, Maitland, Seymour
FB - Hogg, Murchie

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Scotland and the summer tour! - Page 12 Empty Re: Scotland and the summer tour!

Post by Majestic83 Mon 09 Jun 2014, 1:48 pm

BigGee wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:Horne and Swinson join the squad for Canada - http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/14/06/09/horne-and-swinson-join-scotland-summer-tour

No further cover for TH, I guess they must feel that one of the others can cover it. has Allen played at TH as well, I don't think the others have?

Hopefully this puts the lamont to 12 theory to bed once and for all. Still not completely clear what the team might be though. It would be hard to see either of them starting as they will be getting there late, jet lag etc. Guess we just have to wait and see

Yeah Allan can play 1 or 3 so he will be tighthead cover. Played probably more at 3 in the earlier days at age grade and also at Accies. Kyle Traynor has also played at 3 but not as much.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 09 Jun 2014, 1:51 pm

Mark Bennett to start at tighthead!

just saying!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 09 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

As an aside, is anyone following Vern Cotter on twitter, I can only assume that it is a fake account. It is a source of comedy gold.

"Finn just tapped on my door asking to watch Peppa Pig"

"breakfast in camp, Kelly: Porridge, Girth: Porridge, Johnnie: Porridge, Lawson: lorne sausage and a tin of Irn-Bru"

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Jun 2014, 3:25 pm

I am following it as well. It is a parody account, even admits to it on the introduction line, but you are right it is very funny. Whoever is doing it certainly knows scottish rugby!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 09 Jun 2014, 4:36 pm

BigGee wrote:Whoever is doing it certainly knows scottish rugby!

Won't be one of us then!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jun 2014, 4:47 pm

It's Scott Johnson antagonising him and willing to accept team selection responsibilities in exchange for pulling it down

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 09 Jun 2014, 5:03 pm

I think BigGee's comment rules out Scott Johnson as well!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12