The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liam Williams

+21
glamorganalun
Norfolklass
bedfordwelsh
BamBam
BlueNote
Hood83
rainbow-warrior
The Bachelor
SneakySideStep
Scrumpy
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
The Saint
XR
LondonTiger
lostinwales
munkian
Taylorman
Geordie
GunsGerms
LordDowlais
GloriousEmpire
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Liam Williams - Page 2 Empty Liam Williams

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 18 Mar 2014, 7:52 am

First topic message reminder :

I've always rated him and publicly praised him many a time.

For my money he was the best FB of the six nations weekend and provided a gain to Wales rather than the anticipated loss of halfpenny. Granted he was the right man for the job of carving up 14
Man Scotland. But I still rate his performance over that of brown.

Does his freedom at fullback put paid to the myth that it is Gatland strangling halfpenny? Should Liam Williams be retained at FB for his extra attacking edge and creativity and room
Be found elsewhere for 1/2p?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Liam Williams - Page 2 Empty Re: Liam Williams

Post by fa0019 Tue 25 Mar 2014, 4:24 pm

Would people be happy with Halfpenny at wing?

His record is pretty poor.

Remember a winger's role should include his try scoring rate. Halfpenny played 22 of his first 23 matches at wing, starting 21 of those matches. During this time he scored a whopping 8 tries. 6 of these came vs. Canada, Scotland, Samoa & Fiji.

Thats not the conversion rate I would want from a winger. Its not like he's a bulldozer who softens the defence up so that they concede in the next phase ala Lomu.

The guy is a FB. Quite simply he's not ultra attacking FB or player.

Williams offers something different but until Wales develop a reliable 10 then Halfpenny is the first player on the team sheet.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Mar 2014, 4:35 pm

fa0019 wrote:Would people be happy with Halfpenny at wing?

Remember a winger's role should include his try scoring rate. Halfpenny played 22 of his first 23 matches at wing, starting 21 of those matches. During this time he scored a whopping 8 tries. 6 of these came vs. Canada, Scotland, Samoa & Fiji.

Thats not the conversion rate I would want from a winger. Its not like he's a bulldozer who softens the defence up so that they concede in the next phase ala Lomu.

Williams offers something different but until Wales develop a reliable 10 then Halfpenny is the first player on the team sheet.

Wales were pretty poor during the time Halfpenny was on the wing, (circa end of 2009-2011) a lot of out of form players, the only one who kept scoring was Shane Williams.

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 25 Mar 2014, 4:37 pm

IronMike wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Would people be happy with Halfpenny at wing?

Wales were pretty poor during the time Halfpenny was on the wing, (circa end of 2009-2011) a lot of out of form players, the only one who kept scoring was Shane Williams.

Says it all really.

One was a world class winger. The other will never be so.

He's a world class FB, but he's no winger.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2