The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RJJ vs Lebedev

+21
Valero's Conscience
bellchees
88Chris05
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
jamesedwardcox
All Time Great
alanqlm
slash912
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
KO-KING
D4thincarnation
oxring
zx1234
joeyjojo618
eddyfightfan
Fists of Fury
WelshDevilRob
Liam_Main
BALTIMORA
azania
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

RJJ vs Lebedev - Page 3 Empty RJJ vs Lebedev

Post by azania Sat May 21, 2011 10:55 am

First topic message reminder :

What round with the once great Roy Jones Jnr get knocked out?

R2 for me.

azania

Back to top Go down

RJJ vs Lebedev - Page 3 Empty Re: RJJ vs Lebedev

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Personally I hope the relevant governing bodies revoke Jones's licence. He's no longer a good advertisement for boxing when he's in the ring.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sat May 21, 2011 6:30 pm

Liam_Main wrote:
joeyjojo618 wrote:Do you think he was carrying Jones like someone suggested?

If he was he made himself look very poor doing so.

I was suspicious for a time - Jones wasn't doing anything and Lebedev normally walks forward with a reasonable right jab, throwing straight left hands - whereas he was prepared to back off for a bit here. In addition he was stopping and admiring his work, a couple of times the lef tuppercut landed and Jones looked rocked, but Lebedev backed off. Not really like him.

Hard to say he was carrying him when he did that in the 10th. Perhaps I should take it back.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat May 21, 2011 6:34 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Liam_Main wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:I really didn't like seeing the crowd celebrating the win. Lebedev took 29 minutes longer than Green, and then took a dirty cheap shot.

It's in Russia Balti what do you expect.

I'd expect them to cheer it, of course, but i always find it to be in bad taste when a fighter is left on the canvas while people celebrate. That, and the fact that Lebedev beat a guy who should have quit four or five years ago and who no-one gave a chance of making it past the halfway mark.

Totally agree very disrespectful of them. Russian don't have a clue on boxing they probably thought he was facing a prime RJJ.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat May 21, 2011 6:49 pm

had jones up by one going into the final round- first time am sad after a fight i've been dissapointed before but never sad

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat May 21, 2011 6:50 pm

KO-KING wrote:had jones up by one going into the final round- first time am sad after a fight i've been dissapointed before but never sad

Are you drunk?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat May 21, 2011 6:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM6yMAvwjkE

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 21, 2011 6:51 pm

That KO was just waiting to happen, that's the sad part. Everyone was hoping against it, but it seemed inevitable, and it was. This wasn't one for the highlight reel.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat May 21, 2011 6:51 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
KO-KING wrote:had jones up by one going into the final round- first time am sad after a fight i've been dissapointed before but never sad

Are you drunk?

Might have been a bit bias - but he did win 3 rounds,

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat May 21, 2011 6:57 pm

KO-KING wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Are you drunk?

I did the same with the Morales/Maidana fight at the time I had Morales winning by 3 rounds and I was outraged when Maidana got the decision. Have watched it since and Maidana deserved it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat May 21, 2011 7:01 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
KO-KING wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Are you drunk?

I did the same with the Morales/Maidana fight at the time I had Morales winning by 3 rounds and I was outraged when Maidana got the decision. Have watched it since and Maidana deserved it.
First time i was happy at a preformance that was as bad as jones jr today, i thought he was going to win untill he got hit in round 4 or 5 and got hurt. The money i lost doesnt even matter, i put the bet down out of repect for the great roy jones jr(prime)

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat May 21, 2011 7:02 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
KO-KING wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Are you drunk?

Not so sure about that one Kev. I was also outraged, and having since watched it I still think there is a case for Morales - he landed far cleaner shots, and I wouldn't say Maidana displayed 'effective aggression'. Very close, though.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat May 21, 2011 7:04 pm

I gave every close round to Morales because I wanted him to win. I don't like Maidana he is so one dimensional it's a joke.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat May 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
KO-KING wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Are you drunk?

Not so sure about that one Kev. I was also outraged, and having since watched it I still think there is a case for Morales - he landed far cleaner shots, and I wouldn't say Maidana displayed 'effective aggression'. Very close, though.
I Had it 115-113 Maidana

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat May 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Initially had no desire to watch Jones in action ever again; against my better judgement, I decided to have a look at this fight, and almost ended up watching it through parted fingers. I knew Jones would lose but I was dearly hoping not to see him getting brutalized in that manner again.

Of course nobody would want to see him in the ring again, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we did. I've been a little bit of a critic of some of Jones' career choices now and then, but regardless of that, the fact remains that he was a wonderful fighter in his time, looked utterly unstoppable between 1997 and 2002, and seeing him carry on in such a way is one of the saddest sighs I've seen since I discovered the sport of boxing.

Congratulations to Lebedev, he did what he had to do and, if nothing else, showcased his clinical finishing abilities, but I hope (harsh as this may sound on the Russian) that history remembers this fight primarily as Jones' swansong.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat May 21, 2011 7:10 pm

KO-KING wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
KO-KING wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Are you drunk?

I Had it 115-113 Maidana

When I watched it live I had it 117-114 Morales I think but when I watched a replay I had Maidana nicking it by a couple.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 21, 2011 7:11 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I gave every close round to Morales because I wanted him to win. I don't like Maidana he is so one dimensional it's a joke.

You should speak to Jose Sulaiman about a job... Smile

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat May 21, 2011 7:17 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
KO-KING wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
KO-KING wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Are you drunk?

I Had it 115-113 Maidana

When I watched it live I had it 117-114 Morales I think but when I watched a replay I had Maidana nicking it by a couple.
i predicted a good close fight (unlike anyone else) for the first 4-5 rounds then maidana to wear him down to a 9 round TKO, Maidana beats him in a rematch 117-111 maybe stops him late

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Sat May 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Unfortunately I think Jones is going to carry on because he won't want his career to end like that; I wouldn't mind if it was against a lower level fighter in florida to end on a win, but he'll probably take on green or tarver next instead.

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat May 21, 2011 7:23 pm

KO-KING wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
KO-KING wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
KO-KING wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Are you drunk?

I Had it 115-113 Maidana

i predicted a good close fight (unlike anyone else) for the first 4-5 rounds then maidana to wear him down to a 9 round TKO, Maidana beats him in a rematch 117-111 maybe stops him late

I had Morales winning it by a round when I seen it live but after watching it again I had it as a draw.It could of went too either one of them there were that many close rounds. A second fight I would imagine would be very close like the first.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 am

I've just seen the KO in this fight and people calling for Lebedev to be DQ'd is a bit strange seeing as he did nothing outside of the rules. The referee here is entirely at fault and not Lebedev, Jones was on his feet and Lebedev looked at the Referee who didn't step in so Lebedev was within the rules to continue. I've got a dvd box set of Jones career and to see how good he was then compared to now is horrible, he has to retire.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun May 22, 2011 1:17 am

bellchees wrote:I've just seen the KO in this fight and people calling for Lebedev to be DQ'd is a bit strange seeing as he did nothing outside of the rules. The referee here is entirely at fault and not Lebedev, Jones was on his feet and Lebedev looked at the Referee who didn't step in so Lebedev was within the rules to continue. I've got a dvd box set of Jones career and to see how good he was then compared to now is horrible, he has to retire.

Never a chance of a DQ, but that was a brutal KO and I didn't like to see it. I realy hope RJJ calls it a day now.
Was unlucky not to finish the fight, the KO comming so late.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun May 22, 2011 1:19 am

I don't think Lebedev is totally free from blame. He could surely clearly see that Jones was gone, or at least it certainly looked that way. That last punch was just not necessary.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun May 22, 2011 1:20 am

BALTIMORA wrote:I don't think Lebedev is totally free from blame. He could surely clearly see that Jones was gone, or at least it certainly looked that way. That last punch was just not necessary.

Thats boxing.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
bellchees wrote:I've just seen the KO in this fight and people calling for Lebedev to be DQ'd is a bit strange seeing as he did nothing outside of the rules. The referee here is entirely at fault and not Lebedev, Jones was on his feet and Lebedev looked at the Referee who didn't step in so Lebedev was within the rules to continue. I've got a dvd box set of Jones career and to see how good he was then compared to now is horrible, he has to retire.

Never a chance of a DQ, but that was a brutal KO and I didn't like to see it. I realy hope RJJ calls it a day now.

Even if he has to continue for the money he must have the sense to fight a non puncher. You just can't take KO's like that too often without serious damage and that's 4 really really bad one's Roy has been on the wrong end of.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun May 22, 2011 1:28 am

bellchees wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

Even if he has to continue for the money he must have the sense to fight a non puncher. You just can't take KO's like that too often without serious damage and that's 4 really really bad one's Roy has been on the wrong end of.

Roy did show some flashes of old, even though well past his prime he did give Lebedev some trouble, but boxing is a dangerous sport and taking heavy KOs like that ain't good for you.

RJJ has a job on HBO, stick to that Roy, if you continue to box you may lose that job or even worse.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun May 22, 2011 1:37 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:I don't think Lebedev is totally free from blame. He could surely clearly see that Jones was gone, or at least it certainly looked that way. That last punch was just not necessary.

Thats boxing.

You've lost me. Please don't spoil it by saying something ridiculous, because your later comment on here I do wholly agree with.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 am

I can't see how any governing body can allow him to fight now, he has nothing less.

The referee was a disgrace to see he was out cold on his feet, Lebedev was merciful in looking to the ref to step in, the ref did nothing so he hit him again, not Lebedev's thought.

Very sad to what he has become. Also I can't see what these fighters get out of fighting him

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Sun May 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Steve smoger should have got in there before that final blow. He is normally a decent ref and times his stoppages well but not yesterday.

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sun May 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Jones did the same thing to Vinny Paz.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon May 23, 2011 9:32 am

I dont know why Jones is campaigning up at cruiserweight.

He must believe he has the speed there to be more effective but hes really risking his health now against hard punching cruisers.

He needs the money though so would not be surprised to see him continue.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue May 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Sad seeing Roy Ko'd like that once again. The man has needed to retire for a long time.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue May 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Not seen the KO yet but i doesn't look good, time to hang them up so i can buy his career on dvd.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue May 24, 2011 8:41 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I dont know why Jones is campaigning up at cruiserweight.

He must believe he has the speed there to be more effective but hes really risking his health now against hard punching cruisers.

He needs the money though so would not be surprised to see him continue.

Does he need the money? I read a while back that he invested wisely. Plus he was always self managed and promoted. He kept something like 70% of his purse.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 pm

I was amazed when I was watching Jones this weekend he was still fighting the same style he used to with the low hands and trying to be slick.

He doesn't have the speed for that anymore why has he not amended his style if he is convinced he still has a career?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I was amazed when I was watching Jones this weekend he was still fighting the same style he used to with the low hands and trying to be slick.

He doesn't have the speed for that anymore why has he not amended his style if he is convinced he still has a career?

Boxing intelligence. Whilst supremely talented at his peak of near his peak, his style lent itself to zero errors which he could get away with because he was that damned good. As he slipped he lacked the intelligence or knowhow to adapt. He has slowed and what he could do then he cant now.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue May 24, 2011 11:00 pm

azania wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:I was amazed when I was watching Jones this weekend he was still fighting the same style he used to with the low hands and trying to be slick.

Boxing intelligence. Whilst supremely talented at his peak of near his peak, his style lent itself to zero errors which he could get away with because he was that damned good. As he slipped he lacked the intelligence or knowhow to adapt. He has slowed and what he could do then he cant now.

Awesome fighter at his peak. Was a real eye opener to see how he has done nothing to amend his style and then watch Bhop later on that night and see how he has amended his style to make up for loss of speed and stamina.

Like Mosley who recently fought his style was based on speed and just doesn't seem to have the smarts to change or retire.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3