The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anglo-French sides to have home advantage in all new cup semis?

5 posters

Go down

Anglo-French sides to have home advantage in all new cup semis? Empty Anglo-French sides to have home advantage in all new cup semis?

Post by Intotouch Fri 11 Apr 2014, 7:36 pm

Hi I read this in an article on Walesonline and was shocked. Now I'm wondering if this is true. Has anyone come across this elsewhere or can verify this information?

Here's the quote: "The Anglo-French sides will have home advantage in the play-off semi-finals."
It's the sentence at the bottom of the answer to the second question in the article below. The article is all about the new Euro cup.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/welsh-rugby-qa-your-questions-6951236

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Anglo-French sides to have home advantage in all new cup semis? Empty Re: Anglo-French sides to have home advantage in all new cup semis?

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 11 Apr 2014, 7:43 pm

We're way ahead of you. They've already arguing about it here for days https://www.606v2.com/t52651p950-the-new-european-cup-thread-merged

More money and more chance of winning for the Franglo's. The whole playoff thing is a bit dumb, but it doesn't bother me to much in itself.

Obviously it's worrying for the future, that this is what they decide is fair when they have the power to do so. What will they want next time things are up for negotiation?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Anglo-French sides to have home advantage in all new cup semis? Empty Re: Anglo-French sides to have home advantage in all new cup semis?

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 11 Apr 2014, 7:44 pm

That was what was proposed by the unions after their mediation. No idea why they wanted it. Much better to just have the Challenge Cup winner go through.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Fri 11 Apr 2014, 8:28 pm

Intotouch wrote:Hi I read this in an article on Walesonline and was shocked. Now I'm wondering if this is true. Has anyone come across this elsewhere or can verify this information?

Here's the quote: "The Anglo-French sides will have home advantage in the play-off semi-finals."
It's the sentence at the bottom of the answer to the second question in the article below. The article is all about the new Euro cup.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/welsh-rugby-qa-your-questions-6951236
As Rabo gets an extra place this is the quid pro quo. Would have been more logical for the French and English 7th team to play for the place and not involve the eight and ninth qualifier from the Rabo.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Fri 11 Apr 2014, 9:58 pm

So this is in exchange for the rabo teams getting an extra spot? What a Poopie deal! I'd give that up the chance for some dodgy side to get into the comp in a heartbeat rather than never ever have a semi in any country other than France or England. What a God awful idea. I was seriously hoping this was a mistake of some kind. Why haven't the press in Ireland picked up on this?

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Fri 11 Apr 2014, 10:07 pm

Hang on. According to the thread that I'm reading it's not the semi finals of the new comp that will be in France or England but rather the playoffs for who gets the last spots. This is still a bit crap but nothing like as awful as what I understood from that article.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 12 Apr 2014, 9:28 am

The playoffs make a mockery of the whole competition.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 12 Apr 2014, 11:30 am

Do we know know which union proposed it? Or was it the independent IRB recommended mediator?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down