The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Support for Pontypridd and Attitudes Towards Valleys Rugby

+14
Chunky Norwich
XR
LordDowlais
Stone Motif
munkian
bedfordwelsh
thebandwagonsociety
Notch
LeinsterFan4life
GavinDragon
Brendan
Jenifer McLadyboy
Cardiff Dave
The Saint
18 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Support for Pontypridd and Attitudes Towards Valleys Rugby - Page 4 Empty Support for Pontypridd and Attitudes Towards Valleys Rugby

Post by The Saint Fri 25 Apr 2014, 12:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Now before we begin, I know as well as most of you know, that half of their fans and directors board are blinkered. But let's not take anything away from what the rugby team is doing out on the field. They're on for the Premiership, Swalec cup and the B&I Cup, the treble! I feel as if I admire them slightly, sticking two fingers up to our Union and playing rugby to a high standard. These guys are only part-time, so are at a disadvantage in the B&I Cup.

First up is the B&I quarter final where they face reigning champions Leinster A and are hoping home advantage will see them through. The winner of this game will face Bristol or Leeds (it's likely to be Bristol isn't it?) in the final. Good luck Ponty, you're gonna need it!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Support for Pontypridd and Attitudes Towards Valleys Rugby - Page 4 Empty Re: Support for Pontypridd and Attitudes Towards Valleys Rugby

Post by munkian Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:33 am

Rich considering you ignore nearly every post that you don't agree with
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Support for Pontypridd and Attitudes Towards Valleys Rugby - Page 4 Empty Re: Support for Pontypridd and Attitudes Towards Valleys Rugby

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:34 am

Also, it was not a dig at the Ponty director that I was going on about, I was bringing things to the attention of a few Dragons supporters on here who were calling the Ponty "fans" idiots.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:35 am

munkian wrote:Rich considering you ignore nearly every post that you don't agree with

Prove it, if I do not agree with it I will answer back with a reason. Go on, show me where I have ignored posts I do not agree with.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:38 am

Any post where people post facts as opposed to the conjecture you come out with.

Say we all have a big Ponty love in, pat their heads, rub their tummies, then what ?

Will they stop slagging the 4 regions ? Will the acknowledge the financial support they get from the Blues ? Will they go to Dragon's games ?

I doubt it
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:40 am

munkian wrote:Any post where people post facts as opposed to the conjecture you come out with. Say we all have a big Ponty love in, pat their heads, rub their tummies, then what ?

Will they stop slagging the 4 regions ? Will the acknowledge the financial support they get from the Blues ? Will they go to Dragon's games ?

I doubt it

Again, prove it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:41 am

So, do you think what has happened to the CW and the Pontypridd fans is ok ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:45 am

What HAS happened to the Ponty fans that hasn't happened to the Bridgend fans ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:56 am

munkian wrote:What HAS happened to the Ponty fans that hasn't happened to the Bridgend fans ?

Well for a start they had a region that was promised to play in Pontypridd but the owner went back on his words and decided to play all the games in Bridgend for a start. Secondly, you must have been living in a cave if you have not seen how hurt some of the Bridgend fans feel towards the situation, there was a documentry on BBC2 Wales about it a few months back, also Bridgend have not really taken to the Ospreys either, especially the way the Ospreys gave Swansea a load of players a few years ago keeping them in the prem, but gave nothing to Bridgend thus they got relagated, only now, when playing the odd LV cup game are bridges starting to be re-built in that region. Lastly, I do not think Bridgend RFC have that much of an argument if you look at their placing in Welsh rugby at the moment, at least Ponty would give the Dragons a decent game.

Anyway, I am not here to go on about the regions, all I am saying to the dragons fans on here is to just think what it is like for them before you start calling them idiots and start telling them to just go and support another region.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:04 pm

Ponty DO have a region though, its just not 2 minutes walk for them

Moaning and dwelling on the past does nothing for Welsh rugby

If Ponty fans don't at least get involved with Moffet's campaign then they they have no leg to stand on.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:08 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:What HAS happened to the Ponty fans that hasn't happened to the Bridgend fans ?

Well for a start they had a region that was promised to play in Pontypridd but the owner went back on his words and decided to play all the games in Bridgend for a start. Secondly, you must have been living in a cave if you have not seen how hurt some of the Bridgend fans feel towards the situation, there was a documentry on BBC2 Wales about it a few months back, also Bridgend have not really taken to the Ospreys either, especially the way the Ospreys gave Swansea a load of players a few years ago keeping them in the prem, but gave nothing to Bridgend thus they got relagated, only now, when playing the odd LV cup game are bridges starting to be re-built in that region. Lastly, I do not think Bridgend RFC have that much of an argument if you look at their placing in Welsh rugby at the moment, at least Ponty would give the Dragons a decent game.

Anyway, I am not here to go on about the regions, all I am saying to the dragons fans on here is to just think what it is like for them before you start calling them idiots and start telling them to just go and support another region.

Jesus wept. You do realise who now owns Bridgend RFC don't you?

You haven't got a ffecin' clue about anything
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:22 pm

Stone, it's you who does not have a clue, they way you behave on here makes me wonder about you sometimes. Anyway, you lot just keep calling the Ponty fans idiots, if anything happens to you what has happened to others, I hope you get all the sympathy you deserve.

And that goes to all the Dragons fans on here who like to get on their high horses about how to behave.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:25 pm

LordDowlais, out of curiosity is it just the naming that stops you from supporting the Blues? Do you still associate it with Cardiff and that old rivalry?

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:33 pm

IronMike wrote:LordDowlais, out of curiosity is it just the naming that stops you from supporting the Blues? Do you still associate it with Cardiff and that old rivalry?

I go and watch the Blues more than any other region, my old man is Cardiff mad, from the old days up until now, he is one of the old business men(old farts) who likes to go down there, and I will go with him most times. What I like to do though Mike, is me and my brother will see what games are comming up on what ever weekend and decide if we are not to busy and we will go and watch them, Dragons V Munster at RP as been a favourite of ours over the past few years, if we go to Swansea or Cardiff the family will go as well and my wife and daughters will do a bit of shopping on a Saturday game and they will find somewhere for food whilst I watch the match, I do not do it every weekend, but it is a nice few hours out of the house for us all on the weekend, but as of late we have been very busy with work so I just relax with a few stella's in the house latley, but you cannot have it all ways, at least the work is there. OK 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:57 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Stone, it's you who does not have a clue, they way you behave on here makes me wonder about you sometimes. Anyway, you lot just keep calling the Ponty fans idiots, if anything happens to you what has happened to others, I hope you get all the sympathy you deserve.

And that goes to all the Dragons fans on here who like to get on their high horses about how to behave.

Who owns Bridgend RFC, who the Ospreys have done nothing to support then?

Is it right for a Director of a feeder club to criticise the region who supply him with his best players?

When did Ponty RFC build their new stand and hospitality suites, sign up their best players without help from the WRU, and attract a league football team to rent their ground last (i.e. private investment)?

In fact I'll save you the bother of replying:

LordClueless wrote:

Whinge
Moan
Ponty
Supposition
Entitlement
My team (equivalent to Mogliano) whould beat the Dragons fully-pros at Shoithole Road
Whinge
Etc

Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:55 pm

Stone, rude but funny. lol

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:59 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Stone, it's you who does not have a clue, they way you behave on here makes me wonder about you sometimes. Anyway, you lot just keep calling the Ponty fans idiots, if anything happens to you what has happened to others, I hope you get all the sympathy you deserve.

Who owns Bridgend RFC, who the Ospreys have done nothing to support then?

Is it right for a Director of a feeder club to criticise the region who supply him with his best players?

When did Ponty RFC build their new stand and hospitality suites, sign up their best players without help from the WRU, and attract a league football team to rent their ground last (i.e. private investment)?

In fact I'll save you the bother of replying:

LordClueless wrote:

Whinge
Moan
Ponty
Supposition
Entitlement
My team (equivalent to Mogliano) whould beat the Dragons fully-pros at Shoithole Road
Whinge
Etc

You missed conjecture
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:06 pm

While you're here LordDowlais, were you the one that claimed the Regions would automatically have 2 spots in the 1st tier Euro cup? If so...is that still on?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:25 pm

There's no excuse to act like a complete loony all the time, just because their beloved village club didn't back their region. I'm sure it's nice for all the tens of millions of Ponty fans to dream that they could compete with the big fish, but they should just keep these thoughts to whiningponty.net or whatever and not constantly rant in the public domain on the basis of getting to a semi final. Ebbw Vale supporters feel disenfranchised too, but they don't really act like north of the M4 Ponty. Cross Keys got to the final of the World Club Cup (as Ponty would have you believe), without half the fuss.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

FFS, there are some very arrogant people on this site, I stayed off here for a while but came back to talk rugby, I feel that this forum is no longer for me, I will leave this site for good now, no point being on here, to many pratts like Stone Motif and the rest of his Dragon following butties, you will get your just deserts, I just hope you get treated with the contempt you all deserve.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:48 pm

You aren't talking about rugby though, you are trying to drum up sympathy for people who deserve little.

Laters clart  Wink 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 30 Apr 2014, 6:16 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Munkian,

Again I agree but you could still move some of the smaller games around the Regions as could all the Regions, like you said certainly not Friday night games but tv scheduling leaves a lot to be desired as well but its a good source of income so you have to do as they say to a degree.

Agree with this. And Munkian it works both ways, it may be hard for you to get to ebbw on a friday night, its the same for an ebbw native to come down.

EXP holds 8000, a size of crowd we have not had too many times this season.

the region MUST move games to EXP (the only real alternative to RP in gwent) even if it is only 2-4 games, only then can we say we have done tried everything (bar a rebrand) to embrace the whole region.

And tbh it you get 8k at exp

1) It will be rocking
2) Who cares whether they are 20% from ebbw and 80% from newport or the other way around

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Apr 2014, 6:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:FFS, there are some very arrogant people on this site, I stayed off here for a while but came back to talk rugby, I feel that this forum is no longer for me, I will leave this site for good now, no point being on here, to many pratts like Stone Motif and the rest of his Dragon following butties, you will get your just deserts, I just hope you get treated with the contempt you all deserve.

I'm off to the desert on Sunday, funnily enough. Very abusive you are mind. Must be mixing with the Ole gang too much.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 30 Apr 2014, 6:43 pm

GavinDragon wrote:

Again I agree but you could still move some of the smaller games around the Regions as could all the Regions, like you said certainly not Friday night games but tv scheduling leaves a lot to be desired as well but its a good source of income so you have to do as they say to a degree.

Agree with this. And Munkian it works both ways, it may be hard for you to get to ebbw on a friday night, its the same for an ebbw native to come down.

the region MUST move games to EXP (the only real alternative to RP in gwent) even if it is only 2-4 games, only then can we say we have done tried everything (bar a rebrand) to embrace the whole region.

1) It will be rocking
2) Who cares whether they are 20% from ebbw and 80% from newport or the other way around

Do they have a bar/food/pub nearby and hpw far is it from the train station ? What about people that have paid for season tickets ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 30 Apr 2014, 8:04 pm

munkian wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

1) It will be rocking

Do they have a bar/food/pub nearby and hpw far is it from the train station ? What about people that have paid for season tickets ?

Munkian,

Bar and food available in the ground like there is at RP and two pubs literally outside both gates. Train station is a bit of a trek though again I am sure if it was to happen there could be a deal done with local bus service.

As for those with season tickets then I would suggest the season ticket could be valid at ECP to and again am sure a deal could be done transport wise to and from Ebbw.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 30 Apr 2014, 9:35 pm

Or, we could go with the eminently sensible suggestion Dai Moffett has put forward, and banish the regional Love sacks to the governance side of the game and allow the pro clubs in each area to do as they see fit in order to grow their business.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 01 May 2014, 12:32 am

Risca Rev wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:FFS, there are some very arrogant people on this site, I stayed off here for a while but came back to talk rugby, I feel that this forum is no longer for me, I will leave this site for good now, no point being on here, to many pratts like Stone Motif and the rest of his Dragon following butties, you will get your just deserts, I just hope you get treated with the contempt you all deserve.

I'm off to the desert on Sunday, funnily enough. Very abusive you are mind. Must be mixing with the Ole gang too much.

He's a hypocrite as well as illiterate. I still can't get over how someone his age has a massive whinge fit over nothing, regurgitating the same blinkered rubbish over and over again. I doubt he'll be missed, but I hope for his sake that he hits reality in his time away from the forum.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 May 2014, 8:48 am

Apparently, the season tickets for the Dragons will be some of the cheapest since its formation.

More importantl -

'The only other thing I can say is keep an eye on the Dragons media channels on Friday, it relates to the brand of Newport Gwent Dragons for next season and I hope it is something you will find very positive indeed '

I'm guessing we'll be the Gwent Dragons next season. Fine by me, the nay sayers will find another excuse not to support us though I'm sure.

EDIT

News was from this guy

http://www.freepressseries.co.uk/sport/11020440.Pontypool_RFC__boss_given_role_with_Dragons/?ref=rss

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 01 May 2014, 8:55 am

Munkian,

Again I agree the nay sayers will still have a pop and I do know of friends and family up in Ebbw who won't step foot in RP to watch them and for me that's their loss.

Some will say that dropping the Newport will do little and is just a token gesture but at least its a sign that they are trying to embrace Gwent.

Along with moving the odd game around Gwent I think maybe our away strip could go back to the old Gwent colours.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 May 2014, 9:06 am

Again I agree the nay sayers will still have a pop and I do know of friends and family up in Ebbw who won't step foot in RP to watch them and for me that's their loss.

Some will say that dropping the Newport will do little and is just a token gesture but at least its a sign that they are trying to embrace Gwent.  

Along with moving the odd game around Gwent I think maybe our away strip could go back to the old Gwent colours.

I thought the Blue/Black strip is Gwent friendly ? Lynn is always calling us 'Gwent' or just 'Dragons' anyway

I may upgrade to the Bisley - getting to old to stand in the freezing North, Winter is coming
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 May 2014, 9:08 am

HUGE NEWS AT PONTY RFC !!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked 

wOAH !
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 01 May 2014, 9:25 am

munkian wrote:

I thought the Blue/Black strip is Gwent friendly ? Lynn is always calling us 'Gwent' or just 'Dragons' anyway

I may upgrade to the Bisley - getting to old to stand in the freezing North, Winter is coming

Every bit helps small small steps etc etc
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 May 2014, 9:35 am

Indeed.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 May 2014, 10:56 am

Yes it is Gwent friendly (the shirt). I would probably go with that colour scheme for the home shirt, as I reckon (from seeing it on the terrace etc) it is probably our most popular shirt that we've sold for a while.

I would be surprised if rebranding was the case, but Lyn does make a point of the Gwent thing. I don't see how it'll bring people down from the valleys, but I know (as an example) a lot of my Risca mates like the Gwent talk now (though that is counterbalanced with a few Newport fans I know who will be put out by losing the Newport). Personally, just Dragons or whatever name is fine (like a new one), as it makes us more identifiable and it's less of a mess that the stupid name we currently have.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 May 2014, 11:11 am

Just 'Dragons' would suit everyone - I honestly don;t care as long as

Dragons is in there somewhere

They get the name right on Sky/S4C/Scrum V
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 01 May 2014, 2:22 pm

munkian wrote:Just 'Dragons' would suit everyone - I honestly don;t care as long as

Dragons is in there somewhere

They get the name right on Sky/S4C/Scrum V

Now your pushing it Munkian thats asking way to much Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 May 2014, 2:28 pm

Ok..how about it NOT raining for a Friday night home game ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 01 May 2014, 2:52 pm

More chance of that happening than the broadcasters getting the name right lol
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 02 May 2014, 6:56 pm

munkian wrote:You could stop chanting KEEEEEEERDIFF at games for a start

Why?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 02 May 2014, 7:11 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Cardiff need to MTFU and stop subsidising these monumental hypocrites.  Their whinging sense of entitlement to pro rugby - and utter refusal to accept any of the blame for their own situation - has gone from tiresome to ridiculous.

Yep and at the same time take the lead in ending the pseudo-regional sham for good. Had a guts full of it to be quite frank. I want my team to thrash Newport at The Arms Park, not Puff the Magic Dragon (that was funny though).

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 02 May 2014, 8:06 pm

It looks to me Ponty are taking over the Blues and starting to show major signs of improvement and about time.

It is a shame the Dragons offer very little to the RABO and the Welsh team, 11 years of failure and being carried by the three other teams. If there is a team that has to be cut it is a no brainer.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 02 May 2014, 10:32 pm

glamorganalun wrote:It looks to me Ponty are taking over the Blues and starting to show major signs of improvement and about time.

It is a shame the Dragons offer very little to the RABO and the Welsh team, 11 years of failure and being carried by the three other teams. If there is a team that has to be cut it is a no brainer.

WTF? Are you simple? Genuine question like.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 03 May 2014, 9:21 am

Not as simple as you falling for that one laughing 

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 04 May 2014, 9:43 pm

In the interest of diplomacy etc etc well done Ponty, was hoping Keys would have sprung a surprise but Ponty were dominant for majority of game.

Also congrats to CRCC and Merthyr
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 May 2014, 9:20 pm

munkian wrote:Because the Ponty fans aren't doing anything constructive and just add the parochial mess that is Welsh regional rugby
So supporting your club week in week out and putting money over the till isn't doing anything constructive?

I went to watch my nephew play for Pontypridd Under 11s earlier against Cardiff at the Arms Park in the Les Spence Trophy. Ponty won by about 8 tries to 1

A good result as they lost the week before to Cardiff in the DC Thomas final in the Millenium Stadium

Sorry though that neither my nephew playing for Pontypriddd Schools or me supporting him are not doing anything for Welsh rugby

I'll be sure to make sure he doesn't play for EVIL PONTY next year and if he does I won't be supporting him playing for that EVIL BANE on Welsh rugby....

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 07 May 2014, 9:41 pm

Ah Steffan, I was wondering how long it would be before you turned up! This started out as a good article in support of Ponty's quarter final against Leinster A but a valley Herbert (LD) turned up and ruined it. I think munkian was referring to those posters on the Pontypridd RFC site and all of the subsequent comments that usually follow.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 May 2014, 9:43 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:Leave Pontypridd where they are. They have no facilities, players, funds or enough fans to be anymore than a little backwater semi pro club
When I read vile like this it's no wonder Welsh rugby is in a mess

You seem like a really tough guy over the internet mind to be fair  thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 May 2014, 9:48 pm

The Saint wrote:Ah Steffan, I was wondering how long it would be before you turned up! This started out as a good article in support of Ponty's quarter final against Leinster A but a valley Herbert (LD) turned up and ruined it. I think munkian was referring to those posters on the Pontypridd RFC site and all of the subsequent comments that usually follow
In all fairness it also turned into a total bullying thread against LD. I don't mind some constructive criticism towards the whinging of some Ponty fans, I do it myself sometimes. But seriously this just turned into an anti-Ponty fest. As for the posters on the 'Pontypridd RFC site and all of the subsequent comments that usually follow'...well regardless of what these people write, these were also the people turning up to the Cup Final against Keys and PAYING to get in at the Millenium Staduim. You know...putting money into Welsh rugby and that

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 08 May 2014, 8:24 am

Steffan wrote:
The Saint wrote:Ah Steffan, I was wondering how long it would be before you turned up! This started out as a good article in support of Ponty's quarter final against Leinster A but a valley Herbert (LD) turned up and ruined it. I think munkian was referring to those posters on the Pontypridd RFC site and all of the subsequent comments that usually follow
In all fairness it also turned into a total bullying thread against LD. I don't mind some constructive criticism towards the whinging of some Ponty fans, I do it myself sometimes. But seriously this just turned into an anti-Ponty fest. As for the posters on the 'Pontypridd RFC site and all of the subsequent comments that usually follow'...well regardless of what these people write, these were also the people turning up to the Cup Final against Keys and PAYING to get in at the Millenium Staduim. You know...putting money into Welsh rugby and that

thats a fair point steffan, and for them to get 5k to the BI cup despite it being semi pro is commendable.

I must admit I have had a gutsfull of the bickering and parochialism in Welsh rugby which threatens everything good about the sport in Wales, I think (and I am yet to find someone who honestly thinks otherwise) that there is only enough money and player resource to support 4-5 pro teams, I suppose the question is

1. Should we persist with the status quo
2. Complete redrawing of the regional map
3. Superclubs franchises (although I know many would argue we aready have this) - with rolling 5 year franchises thus giving the likes of Ponty, Ebbw Vale or any other aspiring club the chance to reach the top table providing they meet certain requirements.

I think while not ideal the only real chance of appeasing most people would be three, but then what stipulations would you have for being awarded a franchise? If your the WRU and you are providing funding you would want to see a clear business plan and prrof that your investment pays dividends (in the WRU's case dividends being a successful team that develops players for Wales)

1. Attendances?
2. Facilities?

How would/could Ponty (or any other team) prove/develop a business plan that is stronger than one of the other teams while still playing at a semi pro level? I would say they would need a big sugar daddy but is there one in the wings?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 08 May 2014, 8:30 am

Mods, seriously, we need a teeny tiny violin icon for this thread alone. Justice4thePonty1000
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 08 May 2014, 9:35 am

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/11199259.CHRIS_KIRWAN__What__39_s_in_a_name__Plenty_despite_over_a_decade_of_squabbling_for_Newport_Gwent_Dragons/

EMOTIONS run high when it comes to the name Newport Gwent Dragons but the decision about what the region is called needs to be taken with the head and not the heart.

The squabbling was inevitable when a web poll was started last week to decide a new logo for the Rodney Parade outfit.

The comments section of the Argus site shows that it doesn't even take a story about the name to fire up the rival factions; Andrew Coombs talking about Ulster's scrum could prompt a war of words between those that want to return to being Newport and those that want to simply be known as Dragons.

The logo vote was pulled after just 16 hours because of the reaction but it's a debate that needs to be had and a situation that needs to be solved one way or the other.

Of course, the region's bosses could opt to just leave it alone and one imagines that the safety-first approach of staying as Newport Gwent Dragons may just win the day for now.

But we need a Battle of Bosworth.

That would once again stir the passions of the rival groups and the ones who decide the direction that the region/superclub/team goes down must be those that actually are prepared to invest their time and money into it.

The spat over European competitions caused consternation in some quarters about the English and French wanting to make more pounds and euros. Rugby still have some way to go as a professional sport if the pursuit of more revenue can be seen as dirty.

But cash has to be king when making a decision regarding the name of the pro team that plays at Rodney Parade.

If some wishy-washy ambition about being a region for the greater good was put above the financial future then the appropriate name would be Newport Gwent Dodos.

With that in mind the region's bosses cannot afford to simply take people on their word when it comes to the name; they cannot change just so somebody in Newbridge goes from hating Newport Gwent Dragons to being generally supportive of Dragons Rugby from their living room.

They need tangible backing and with over half of their season ticket holders hailing from Newport it would be a risk to remove the city from the name.

Maybe they feel it is a risk worth taking.

If by going down the Dragons route they feel that they can bring in more sponsorship and backing from the wider area then they should go for it.

But success drives attendances in pro sport and it's fair to assume that we are some way off an all-conquering Rodney Parade side. Therefore they would be wise to heed those that still turn up despite season upon season mediocrity.

The crux is that the region should be free to decide their route after doing proper, detailed research and be responsible for the implications.

If they change to something more Newport-heavy and it goes pear-shaped, that's their fault. If they change to Dragons Rugby to be met by indifference and dwindling crowds, that's their fault.

It is inevitable that some people will not be happy with the choice and the bosses cannot afford to just try and include everyone; that is what has got us in this mess.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next