The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan v Collazo: Thoughts and predictions?

+39
mikeymax71
CaledonianCraig
KO-KING
John Bloody Wayne
rapidringsroad
leedizzle1986
Liam
kingraf
Rowley
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
quentins_monkey
Gerry SA
Derbymanc
Izzi
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
Dipper Brown
hogey
Scottrf
KingMonkey
jon200
Boxtthis
Strongback
Rodney
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
JabMachineMK2
BoxingFan88
ONETWOFOREVER
Mr Bounce
neilodonnell
Nico the gman
88Chris05
hampo17
TRUSSMAN66
catchweight
jimdig
milkyboy
AdamT
Seanusarrilius
43 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Khan v Collazo: Thoughts and predictions? Empty Khan v Collazo: Thoughts and predictions?

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 29 Apr 2014, 1:59 pm

This is a serious test for Khan, especially given that it's effectively his debut at the weight. Collazo is a proven operator at the weight, having been in with Hatton, Berto and Ortiz to name but three. If it goes the distance, it's Khan's fight. But could we see an upset here? Would it even be an upset if Collazo won?

Thoughts?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Khan v Collazo: Thoughts and predictions? Empty Re: Khan v Collazo: Thoughts and predictions?

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:08 pm

Collazo ko within 8 rounds

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Khan v Collazo: Thoughts and predictions? Empty Re: Khan v Collazo: Thoughts and predictions?

Post by milkyboy Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:09 pm

Don't know if it would be an upset Sean.

Good test for khan I feel, the kind of guy he outboxes comfortably in his prime... Something we haven't seen for a while. If he wins in style it suggests he has his mojo back. If he doesnt, then we can probably assume he won't be getting the aforementioned mojo back.

Be interesting to see if he gets bullied around and if there's any sign of improvements from hunter (still not sure if his rep isn't based on one supremely talented guy making him look good)

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:38 pm

High risk low reward fight for khan. Collazo apart from being linked to Ortiz's comeback disappoint would not be known outside hardcore boxing circles. Khan needed a showcase fight, this is more than likely another stoppage against khan.

It's been along time since khan has looked good, and I think Freddie roach was his best fit, at least he accentuated his biggest asset (his offensive speed). He doesn't know what he's doing under hunter. You can see him thinking in the ring, his face all screwed up, brain overheating, "do I jump in or not? Are my fists protecting my head or not? Who hit me?" which not surprisingly is slowing him down. He's been inactive. He's all set up for being stopped really.

I'd like him to win, and win is style, he has the tools, collazo (Ortiz aside) isn't a destructive puncher. Khan can't be too many losses away from retirement. There should be a limit on how many concussions your allowed to receive, Roy jones jr would have exceeded that limit, khan hopefully won't have to reach his bodies limit.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:46 pm

milkyboy wrote:Don't know if it would be an upset Sean.

Good test for khan I feel, the kind of guy he outboxes comfortably in his prime... Something we haven't seen for a while. If he wins in style it suggests he has his mojo back.  If he doesnt, then we can probably assume he won't be getting the aforementioned mojo back.

Be interesting to see if he gets bullied around and if there's any sign of improvements from hunter (still not sure if his rep isn't based on one supremely talented guy making him look good)

We haven't seen Khan look very good in a long time, so it will be interesting to see what he has left. Agree with your points. If he is as bad as last time out, he is going to get stopped, I think. I heard someone describe Virgil Hunter's stable as a 'damn hospital' the other week. Take away Ward and that's kind of what it is.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:50 pm

Its a good fight. Looking forward to it more than the main event. Anything could happen. I cant call it but if I have to, I think Khan wins a topsy turvy fight hopefully in the same mould as Maidana/Diaz contests.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 3:19 pm

Khan decision.........

Collazo seen better days..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:50 pm

Khan will get stopped inside the first 6 rounds. Collazo may have seen better days but he hits hard, hard enough to hurt Khan and won't let him off the hook like Diaz did in their fight.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:03 pm

I still believe.

Think Khan might win this one a little easier and more stylishly than some expect. Not to the extent where he clowns his man like he did against Judah, but I'm going for a wide-ish decision for Khan. A few testing, but not all that hairy moments along the way.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:11 pm

A year or two ago I would have picked easy. He has been making hard work of fights now and hasnt been active. Collazo is being overrated on the back beating a very average Ortiz though who looks to have lost any remaining stomach he had for a fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:26 pm

IMO I think Khan is on the slide,but I don't know how far Collazo has gone back,Khan can outbox him but at some point Khan alway's seems to get dragged into a war and he hasn't got the chin for it.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:40 pm

Why is it Khans fight if it goes the distance?

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:21 pm

I'm with Chris. I actually think Khan wins this at a canter. Don't think he'll knock him out, but as long as he doesn't get complacent and/or caught up in a trading war, he'll win by a fair few rounds in my opinion.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:31 pm

I think I speak for all here when I say lets hope Collazo does the job on Amir Con.

We have all had enough of Khan and his mouth over the years. As career has gone from bad to worse it would be great to see a real grafter like Collazo to finally ''make it''

MAN ALIVE WHATS WRONG WITH BIG TOMATOS??

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:51 pm

This is a great fight, you never know quite what will happen when Khan is in with a puncher. Collazo has very under rated boxing skills as well.

I think if Khan decides to box and move he could make this a reasonably comfortable night for himself by winning a decision, however I am betting he isn't going to do this. Collazo hasn't been stopped in years (only stopped once early in his career) and has been in with the who's who of the welterweight division.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Khan gets stopped late, but its going to be a great fight. Props to Khan for taking a very very high risk fight, with virtually no reward.

Looking forward to this one more than the main event.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:07 pm

Why is Khan getting major props for taking this fight? Collazo isnt even one of the top ten welterweights in the division. And as for no reward, well a win puts him up at the top of the pack for a Mayweather fight. This is a perfectly reasonable fight for both fighters looking to try and get a foothold in the division. And if either is picked as Mayweathers next opponent by virtue of a win here it would be rubbish.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:11 pm

Probably because Brook, Rose, Mitchell, Barker, Lee and Macklin and the ilk are getting world title shots and fighting stiffs..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:15 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Looking forward to this one more than the main event.

Totally the way I see this.

Collazo is a poor opponent, lets face it. Khan should ideally be facing someone ranked within the top 5/10 to deserve his Mayweather crack. His resume post-Garcia is pretty poor and in no way shows he's ready for Mayweather. Its also pretty poor that it'd likely be for one of Mayweathers many titles. Its just poor.

That said, Collazo is a tough SOB and he can dig, I reckon he tags Khan in round 5/6, Khan goes into manly mode and loses again. Collazo won't stand off like previous opponents.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:19 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:Looking forward to this one more than the main event.

Totally the way I see this.

Collazo is a poor opponent, lets face it. Khan should ideally be facing someone ranked within the top 5/10 to deserve his Mayweather crack. His resume post-Garcia is pretty poor and in no way shows he's ready for Mayweather. Its also pretty poor that it'd likely be for one of Mayweathers many titles. Its just poor.

That said, Collazo is a tough SOB and he can dig, I reckon he tags Khan in round 5/6, Khan goes into manly mode and loses again. Collazo won't stand off like previous opponents.

Khan will try to keep it on the outside but I don't think Khan has ever been a good 12 round fighter. He always tends to wane mid to late rounds because he does not have the mental fortitude to be a good 12 round fighter and lets face it he aint ending this fight early its not Judah he's facing.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:26 pm

Luis Collazo is number 9 with the WBC and is far from a poor opponent Jabby, a very dangerous one in fact.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:29 pm

hampo171 wrote:Luis Collazo is number 9 with the WBC and is far from a poor opponent Jabby, a very dangerous one in fact.

Like Mayweather It's personal with Khan.........He can't do anything right............Bangs Collazo out in two ...people on here will moan it wasn't done in one..

Shame he has been a very successful British boxer............Other European Countries would be proud..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:35 pm

I think Khan is looking towards the Mayweather fight and isn't properly focussed on this. Also his first proper outing at Welterweight and unless the weight cutting was the reason his legs turn to jelly so easily, then I think he get's KO'd this weekend. Collazo's not a huge puncher but he's more established at the weight, and Diaz put Khan on his backside easily. Plus Khan's been inactive for almost a year. It's sink or swim for Khan now and I see him drowning on Saturday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:41 pm

Khan wide UD.

A lot is getting made of Collazo and I dont see much recent evidence to back it up. The Hatton fight was a long time ago, Collazo lost to a journeyman not so long back didnt he ?

It will be a decent win for Amir, but can we please stop giving fighters props for taking on certain fighters (its their job for christ sake) fans act more and more like promotors these days.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Luis Collazo is number 9 with the WBC and is far from a poor opponent Jabby, a very dangerous one in fact.

Like Mayweather It's personal with Khan.........He can't do anything right............Bangs Collazo out in two ...people on here will moan it wasn't done in one..

Shame he has been a very successful British boxer............Other European Countries would be proud..

I remember when you used to write articles slagging the kid off. Must be the Money May factor.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:44 pm

Truss being xenophobic or trying to incite some form of argument?

Must be Wednesday.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:46 pm

Always rely on you to second guess me Jabby...

My argument still stands though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:50 pm

Collazo is tough and he can fight for 12 rounds, ask Hatton. Khan should win but if he doesn't deliver a lot of punches I can see Collazo wearing him down.

Its hard to predict with Khan, too many intangibles. I'm expecting an action packed fight that will be a better watch than Mayweather v Maidana.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:52 pm

Strongback wrote:Collazo is tough and he can fight for 12 rounds, ask Hatton. Khan should win but if he doesn't deliver a lot of punches I can see Collazo wearing him down.

Its hard to predict with Khan, too many intangibles.  I'm expecting an action packed fight that will be a better watch than Mayweather v Maidana.

Think Mayweather maybe struggling with the old PPV sales with this one, he hasnt resorted to any of his pre fight nonsense instead praising Maidaina to the hilt,
Cheers
Rodders

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

TRUSS 

You're Team Khan check has just arrived should I keep them with the rest or put it in the post?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:01 pm

Don't like Khan but can see that a guy who's beaten Paulie, Judah, Maidana and Mcloskey........Should get a bit more respect than he does..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't like Khan but can see that a guy who's beaten Paulie, Judah, Maidana and Mcloskey........Should get a bit more respect than he does..

Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  clap

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:08 pm

Rodney wrote:
Strongback wrote:Collazo is tough and he can fight for 12 rounds, ask Hatton. Khan should win but if he doesn't deliver a lot of punches I can see Collazo wearing him down.

Its hard to predict with Khan, too many intangibles.  I'm expecting an action packed fight that will be a better watch than Mayweather v Maidana.

Think Mayweather maybe struggling with the old PPV sales with this one, he hasnt resorted to any of his pre fight nonsense instead praising Maidaina to the hilt,
Cheers
Rodders

Yeah I thought this quote from Floyd was a bit different from his usual tact:

“Maidana is hungry, he’s ready and he has a great knockout ratio,” Mayweather said. “It’s all about keeping composure and sticking to the game plan. It’s the best fighting the best. I’m glad he believes in himself and that’s what it’s all about. It’s champion versus champion and country versus country.”

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:10 pm

This is potentially a tough fight for Khan. Collazo can pressure him and has more than enough power to get a KO. I expect Khan to be his usual lightening-paced, but frantic self. I see it the same way as most Khan fights: he wins if he keeps his concentration, but there's always that big risk of him getting caught.

I think the Khan-Maidana fight might be a reasonable analysis template here. Take away the tenth round and Khan had a comfortable victory over a tough opponent. As it happened though, it was mighty close to going the other way. Collazo doesn't have the same fast-feet or punching power as Maidana, but he has better timing with his counters. It'll be interesting to see if he tries to time Khan (a la Garcia) or if he tries to pressure him (a la Peterson). Probably a combination of both.

Still got to go with Khan on this. His physical gifts are just too superior. Wouldn't put money on it though.

Last edited by Boxtthis on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:12 pm

Strongback wrote:
Rodney wrote:

Cheers
Rodders

“Maidana is hungry, he’s ready and he has a great knockout ratio,” Mayweather said. “It’s all about keeping composure and sticking to the game plan. It’s the best fighting the best. I’m glad he believes in himself and that’s what it’s all about. It’s champion versus champion and country versus country.”

Dull as dishwater just like his fights.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:15 pm

Rodney wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Rodney wrote:

Cheers
Rodders

Dull as dishwater just like his fights.

Cheers Rodders

Yep, another painfully boring Floyd soundbite. Most of what he says is just a gush of repetitive, disingenuous, and often contradictory, promotional cliches.

I like watching him fight though.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by jon200 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:33 pm

I honestly don't see why there is generally such hate for Khan. He is a former world champion, and more than capable of becoming one again (i think he would have beat Alexander if he took the fight in December).

He can be frustrating, because he has skills and speed and could give most people a run for their money, he just gets drawn into brawls too easily and comes unstuck.

He might not really deserve a Mayweather fight, but credit to him for being up for fighting the absolute best P4P boxer in the world and possibly talking his way into it, unlike people like Cleverly for example who are happy fighting bums for their whole career.

My prediction by the way is Khan by SD.

jon200

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:40 pm

He isn't a particularly nice lad jon200 is the answer...A braggart with no humility......

However he has got some decent wins and he is better than he's given credit for.....On here anyway.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:50 pm

He should have fought Devon and for ducking that fight and desperately kissing Floyd's Harris for one last pay day I hope Collazo decks him.

Alas I don't think he will. Khan will have too much for him and the Collazo that fought Hatton might as well be another man entirely considering how long ago that fight took place.

I still don't think Khan's heart is in it any more, he wants the Floyd fight because it pays and then he'll want out.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:01 pm

How can you duck Alexander to fight Floyd ????????

Like ducking Tubbs to fight Tyson........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How can you duck Alexander to fight Floyd ????????

Khan openly admits he dropped out of the Alexander fight because he thought he was going to fight Floyd. Didn't want to risk injury...or defeat...

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:29 pm

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How can you duck Alexander to fight Floyd ????????

Khan openly admits he dropped out of the Alexander fight because he thought he was going to fight Floyd. Didn't want to risk injury...or defeat...
Seems sensible.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:31 pm

Hard to call a guy who tries to take on a bigger challenge is a ducker..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:31 pm

It's not about the challenge though is it, its about the money. I guess it depends how you perceive ducking.  Khan wasn't interesting in earning a shot at a title, he just wanted to blag his way into the highest paying fight.  He had a great route via Alexander but avoided it to try and make the Floyd fight happen.  He took the easy option.

I reckon Khan would have beaten Devon too then been able to force the Floyd fight.  Instead he had little bargaining power.  Silly, greedy boy.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:33 pm

KingMonkey wrote:  It's not about the challenge though is it, its about the money.  I guess it depends how you perceive ducking.  Khan wasn't interesting in earning a shot at a title, he just wanted to blag his way into the highest paying fight.  He had a great route via Alexander but avoided it to try and make the Floyd fight happen.  He took the easy option.

I reckon Khan would have beaten Devon too then been able to force the Floyd fight.  Instead he had little bargaining power.  Silly, greedy boy.
He thought he had the Floyd fight and didn't want to do anything to risk it. I can't see how it was anything but a sensible decision at the time.

Of course it's easy to pick apart in hindsight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:39 pm

He could have beaten Alexander and still not got the fight. He could have not fought Alexander and got the fight. There is no forcing Mayweather to fight. He picks who he wants. He was negotiating with Mayweather for a good while and was close to getting the fight. It would have been foolish to turn around and fight Alexander at that point if you ask me. More than anything he was just unlucky that Maidana caused an upset at the wrong time.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 30 Apr 2014, 4:27 pm

He had signed to fight Alexander though hadn't he? Khan's inflated sense of self worth and poor advice got him where he is. That said, I think he beats Collazo and gets the shot anyway. Another issue I have is that I really don't think Khan believes he can beat Floyd, much as Gerrero didn't. It's a pay day, nothing more.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Apr 2014, 4:35 pm

Klitschko had signed to fight with Chisora when he realised he could get a better fight against Haye...it happens.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 4:44 pm

Scottrf wrote:Klitschko had signed to fight with Chisora when he realised he could get a better fight against Haye...it happens.

Absolutely.....Khan he just can't win with some people.......If he turned down Floyd and fought Alexander the same sorts would be saying he lacked ambition !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 30 Apr 2014, 4:55 pm

Wlad wasn't chasing Haye like a pathetic little child though, far from it.

I get where you guys are coming from I just thought it was pathetic how Khan acted. Floyd has done a number on him already by knocking him back, its as though Khan should be grateful just to be near him rather than earning the chance to beat him.

ight on my undercard you b!tch. Jump through hoops. Do this, do that....

Yes Floyd, of course sir. Whatever you say.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:04 pm

Collazo KO somewhere between 7-9 rounds

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next