The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Selby: I can taste world title glory

+5
Steffan
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
wheelchair1991
hampo17
9 posters

Go down

Selby: I can taste world title glory Empty Selby: I can taste world title glory

Post by hampo17 Fri 16 May 2014, 7:17 pm

Lee Selby says he will take a huge step to landing his dream World title when he faces Romulo Koasicha in an official eliminator for the WBC World title at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff on Saturday night, live on Sky Sports.

Selby finds himself ranked in the top ten in the IBF and WBO and he believes can turn his number four ranking in the WBC into a shot at champion Jhonny Gonzalez with a big win over Koasicha.

“It’s a massive an opportunity,” said Selby, who tipped the scales at 8st 13lb 6oz, two ounces heavier than his opponent. “It’s a step closer to becoming a World champion, which is something I’ve dreamt of since I was a kid and when I started boxing. It’s definitely the biggest night of my career

“I’ve got the skill and the ability that you need to be a good boxer. I want it more than anyone else. I’m as hungry as they come and I can taste that World title glory.

“The carrot of fighting for the belt is extra motivation definitely. If I do get a chance to fight Gonzalez for his world title, I’d give it 110 per cent and I’d be ready. As long as I get the opportunity to fight for the belt then I’d be happy and it would be up to me to turn up and perform. I’d be happy to travel anywhere for the fight.

“I’ll fight whenever. I’m ready now. But I think the plan is to fight on this bill, have a final eliminator around September time and hopefully leave 2014 as the mandatory challenger.”

It’s a huge chance for 23 year old Koasicha to upset the applecart and land a title shot of his own. The Mexican fights outside his homeland for the first time in his career, but after regaining the WBC United States title in July and defending it in February, his confidence is high and Selby is expecting a tough night.

“I’ve checked him out on YouTube to see how he fights,” said Selby. “The problem is that the two clips I’ve watched, once he was fighting on the front foot and the other he was on the back so I’m not too sure what to expect from him on the night. I’ll just have to adapt when we get in there.

“He’s going to be a tough opponent. He punches hard as well with a decent knockout rate. He looks about my size which is impressive for a featherweight because I’m usually towering over my opponents at the weight.

“For him the travelling and a different climate could play a part. When I flew out to America recently for the sparring, it took my body a couple of days to adjust and get used to it.”

If Selby can get that World title shot, he’s certain to push for it to be here in Cardiff, where he’s beginning to become a big star. He is joined by two former World champions on the Cardiff bill in Nathan Cleverly and Gavin Rees, and Selby is soaking up every minute of the attention he’s receiving from fans and pundits.

“It’s great to see that my work being recognised,” said Selby. “I started off on the small shows and now people are recognising my work so it’s a great feeling. It’s an amazing feeling coming out to my ring walk music and hearing thousands of fans screaming my name. When I came out against Munroe, there were people there screaming my name, people I’ve never even met before but you could see the passion in their faces – there’s no better feeling.

“It’s amazing. Not just for myself, but for other Welsh boxers and the up and coming fighters. It’s amazing they get to showcase their talents on good cards and get shown on TV on Sky Sports, which is the best platform for boxing in the UK. I started off on the small shows for no or little money in little town leisure centres and now I’m selling out arenas and headlining events.”

Cleverly’s clash with Corbin is part of a huge line-up of action in Cardiff with Featherweight star Lee Selby tackling Mexican Romulo Koasicha in a WBC title eliminator.

Gavin Rees bows out of the pro game after a glittering career with a rematch of his Fight of the Year contender against Gary Buckland, Liverpool’s Super Middleweight star Callum Smith defends his WBC International Super Middleweight title against Swansea’s Tobias Webb, Dale Evans faces Mark Douglas, plus there’s action for Chris Jenkins, Mitch Buckland, Robbie Turley and Alex Hughes.

Tickets are on sale now priced at £30, £40 and £60 ringside available from www.livenation.co.uk or by calling 02920 22 44 88, and from Sanigar Events on 0117 949 6699.

VIP Packages priced £120 are available from www.matchroomboxing.com or by calling 01277 359900.

Proposed running order (subject to change) and weights (where available)

5.40pm 4 x 3 mins Super Middleweight Contest

ALEX HUGHES v MARK TILL

(Maerdy) (Stoke on Trent)

6pm 6 x 3 mins Super Bantamweight Contest

ROBBIE TURLEY (8st 13lb) v MARC CALLAGHAN (8st 13lbs)

(Newport) (Dagenham)

6.30pm 8 x 3 mins Welterweight Contest

DALE EVANS (10st 9lb) v MARK DOUGLAS (10st 0lb 11oz)

(St Clears) (Wokingham)

Live on Sky Sports 1 at 7.30pm

7.40pm 8 x 3 mins Super Middleweight Contest

PAUL SMITH JNR (12st 3lb 9oz) v DAVID SARABIA (12st 2lb 3oz)

(Liverpool) (Spain)

Followed by…

TV 2 10 x 3 mins WBC International Super Middleweight title

CALLUM SMITH (11st 12lb 14oz) v TOBIAS WEBB (11st 13lbs 6oz)

(Liverpool) (Swansea)

Followed by…

TV 3 12 x 3 mins Lightweight Contest

GAVIN REES (9st 11lb) v GARY BUCKLAND (9st 11lb)

(Newbridge) (Cardiff)

Followed by…

TV 4 12 x 3 mins vacant WBA Inter-Continental Cruiserweight title

NATHAN CLEVERLY (14st 2lb 5oz) v SHAUN CORBIN (13st 13lb 7oz)

(Cefn Forest) (Trinidad)

Followed by…

TV 5 12 x 3 mins Featherweight World Title Eliminator and vacant WBC Int’l title

LEE SELBY (8st 13lb 6oz) v ROMULO KOASICHA (8st 13lb 4oz)

(Barry) (Mexico)

TO BE SCHEDULED

8 x 3 mins Light Welterweight Contest

CHRIS JENKINS (10st 0lb 14oz) v MIGUEL AGUILAR (10st 0lb 11oz)

(Swansea) (Spain)

6 x 3 mins Light Welterweight Contest

MITCH BUCKLAND (10st 1lb 11oz) v DAZA USHER (10st 1lb 14oz)

(Cardiff) (Bicester)

http://v2boxing.com/1/post/2014/05/selby-i-can-taste-world-title-glory.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Selby: I can taste world title glory Empty Re: Selby: I can taste world title glory

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 16 May 2014, 8:18 pm

Hearn is on about putting selby in with donaire next brave move if true

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Selby: I can taste world title glory Empty Re: Selby: I can taste world title glory

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 May 2014, 8:34 pm

Rees - Buckland looks like the only competitive fight to me.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 16 May 2014, 8:47 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cleverly struggle with Corbin early on Truss, I think he's going to be gun shy.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 16 May 2014, 9:11 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:Hearn is on about putting selby in with donaire next brave move if true

It's a decent money fight in the States for no out lay. What's not to like about it for a promoter.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 16 May 2014, 9:22 pm

Strongback wrote:
wheelchair1991 wrote:Hearn is on about putting selby in with donaire next brave move if true

It's a decent money fight in the States for no out lay.  What's not to like about it for a promoter.

What's not to like about it as a fighter as well? Chance to test yourself against one of the best, you lose then people with common sense will say it was to soon and that he can come again, if he wins then the world opens up for him.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 May 2014, 9:39 pm

Azumah Nelson must feel very bitter when he sees how much Donaire rakes in a fight...

$1 million plus for Rigo and Arce.......

Obviously being slightly damaged goods will mean Donaire's earning capacity will have shrunk........But Selby will get his best pay check and it's a no lose fight....

Nelson learned a lot from getting a slap of Sal........

Selby may have a chance depending on what Donny has left.......31 now and that's usually old in the lower divisions..

Usually.. being the operative word..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 17 May 2014, 3:19 pm

Selby will destroy Donaire and go on to be the best ever. He will become the most brutal, vicious and most ruthless champion there's ever been. There's no one to stop him. Donaire is a conqueror? No, Selby is Alexander, Donaire is no Alexander. There's never been anybody as ruthless! He is Willie Pep, he is Henry Armstrong....Selby is from their cloth. There's no one that can match him. His style is impetuous, his defense is impregnable, and he is just ferocious Wales

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 17 May 2014, 3:36 pm

Steffan wrote:Selby will destroy Donaire and go on to be the best ever. He will become the most brutal, vicious and most ruthless champion there's ever been. There's no one to stop him. Donaire is a conqueror? No, Selby is Alexander, Donaire is no Alexander. There's never been anybody as ruthless! He is Willie Pep, he is Henry Armstrong....Selby is from their cloth. There's no one that can match him. His style is impetuous, his defense is impregnable, and he is just ferocious Wales

Does he want to eat your children?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 17 May 2014, 3:41 pm

hampo171 wrote:
Steffan wrote:Selby will destroy Donaire and go on to be the best ever. He will become the most brutal, vicious and most ruthless champion there's ever been. There's no one to stop him. Donaire is a conqueror? No, Selby is Alexander, Donaire is no Alexander. There's never been anybody as ruthless! He is Willie Pep, he is Henry Armstrong....Selby is from their cloth. There's no one that can match him. His style is impetuous, his defense is impregnable, and he is just ferocious Wales

Does he want to eat your children?
No. But he may eat Donaire's...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 17 May 2014, 3:47 pm

Steffan you make Selby sound like Cleverly...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 17 May 2014, 3:51 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Steffan you make Selby sound like Cleverly...
True. Clev is undefeated at Cruiserweight

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 17 May 2014, 4:08 pm

Steffan wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:Steffan you make Selby sound like Cleverly...
True. Clev is undefeated at Cruiserweight

So am I Steffan

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 19 May 2014, 12:50 pm

Selby needs to stay as far away from Donaire as possible based on that performance.

Just imagine it was Donaires left hook that caught him as Selby tried to dig a left to the body. LIGHTS OUT.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 19 May 2014, 1:05 pm

He's got talent but he hasn't got a punch........

Might suffer like Kell at world title level..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 19 May 2014, 1:11 pm

Still remain to be convinced with Selby. He is not rubbish but do get the impression there is something missing with the kid. As Truss says does not seem to have much power wise and maybe it is him being bored at the level he is at now but he takes his share of silly shots.

Would not rule out him picking a belt up somewhere along the line but am not convinced he will be at the top tier in his weight any time soon.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 19 May 2014, 1:16 pm

Not saying the kid hasn't got talent, but he doesn't seem very heavy handed which will cost him at world level.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 19 May 2014, 1:20 pm

I'm not convinced by his moustache. I appreciate we're in an era where anything goes when it comes to facial hair... But is the early 80's pikey look, now considered retro? If so I'll dig out my marble wash jeans and stick them on ebay

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 19 May 2014, 1:26 pm

Selby looks like a guy who is sparring and not fighting.  The tippy tappy clever stuff is what sparring is all about.   He doesn't sit down on his shots and doesn't seem to have much intent other than than to showcase his skills.  That won't be enough when he steps up.  He's a talented kid though and has the attributes to develop into a very good fighter, he just needs to develop a style more suited to the pro's.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 19 May 2014, 1:29 pm

milkyboy wrote:I'm not convinced by his moustache. I appreciate we're in an era where anything goes when it comes to facial hair... But is the early 80's pikey look, now considered retro? If so I'll dig out my marble wash jeans and stick them on ebay

I thought his moustache appeared more in the Cab Calloway tradition.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 19 May 2014, 1:33 pm

Strongback wrote:
milkyboy wrote:I'm not convinced by his moustache. I appreciate we're in an era where anything goes when it comes to facial hair... But is the early 80's pikey look, now considered retro? If so I'll dig out my marble wash jeans and stick them on ebay

Allegedly Eddie made him grow it...... Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 19 May 2014, 1:51 pm

Strongback wrote:

Could be right, the spoiler itself is more gangster 30's than low rent 80's... on him the line between them looked a little blurred.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down