The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gwent Dragons 14/15

+7
dragon999
dragon4life
The Saint
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
Cardiff Dave
Impossible Standards
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gwent Dragons 14/15 - Page 2 Empty Gwent Dragons 14/15

Post by dragon4life Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

We've kept our best player and got a feeling this season is going to be better (although we say that every year) and we have a lot of u20 so will be interesting to see how they progress especially in back row and centre. Our pack will have bulked up a lot so hopefully will get front foot ball.

In: Boris Stankovich (Leicster), Rhys Buckley (Mosley), Dave Young (Jersey), Llyod Fairbrother (Exeter/Plymouth), Brok Harris (Stormers), Rynard Landman (Cheetahs), Ian Gough (London Irish), Andy Powell (Wigan Warriors), Aled Brew (Biarittz), Lee Byrne (Clermont), J Thomas (Bedwas)

Out: Steffan Jones-loan (Bedford), Darren Waters (London Welsh), Rob Sidoli (retired), Will Harries (released), Sam Parry (Ospreys), Dan Evans (Ospreys), Duncan Bell (retired), Lewis Robling (Jersey), Tetaz Chapparo (Argentina club), Ieuan Jones (Blues), Nathan Buck (Released), Kris Burton (released), W Evans (coventry)

Squad:
LH:Stankovich, O Evans, P Price, Gustafson
HK:TR Thomas, Dee, Buckley
TH:Brok Harris, Fairbrother, Dave Young, Dan Way
LK4:Landman, Coombs, J Davies
LK5:Gough, Screech, C Hill
Flankers:Talei, Cudd, L Evans, S Matthews, J Benjamin
NO8: Falateu, Powell, J Thomas
SH:R Rees, J Evans, L Jones
FH:Tovey, D Jones, Angus Obrien
Centres:Smith, Dixon, Wardle, Leach, T Morgan
Wings:Brew, Prydie, Pewtner, Hewitt
FB: Byrne, Amos

Last edited by dragon4life on Sun 17 Aug 2014, 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Gwent Dragons 14/15 - Page 2 Empty Re: Gwent Dragons 14/15

Post by The Saint Sat 30 Aug 2014, 12:37 pm

How did Coombs play?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sat 30 Aug 2014, 1:00 pm

Did his job not outstanding but made a few nice offloads

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sat 30 Aug 2014, 1:06 pm

Not getting the take on Jack Dixon - He is doing his job well, our Jamie Roberts if you will, breaks the gain line & gives the fowards a target,tackles like a demon. He will not make scintilating outside breaks because that's not his game - Am i missing something you guys are saying?

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 30 Aug 2014, 2:44 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:As an Ebbw boy born and bred I made the trip home this weekend for the game and glad I did.  Was a great game, said all along Powell could be a handy signing and if continues like that could be a very very handy signing, especially with Talei out injured.

Scrum was solid for most of game which is a big bonus, Tyler Morgan is class and hope Dixon gets some form back andthen there is Brewwwwwww just a cult hero.

The crowd was quoated at 3000 but not quite that I think but good turn out for a pre season friendly and I even persuaded some anti Dragons friend and families to come along, though fact that first round was one me might have had something to do with it.

I know some will crtiticise the old ground and access etc but its not worst ground I have been to and things are looking to be done there with access extending train link up to town (though Ebbw can make them put straight link into Newport).  

With KJ as an Ebbw boy as well I hope now they will look at maybe increasing games season on season maybe an LV game or a 'lesser' Pro12 game, there are few pubs near who would like the extra business to.

Well done Dragons

there is alot of potential in that ground bedford, room to develop if someone with money puts it

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 30 Aug 2014, 8:25 pm

dragon999 wrote:Not getting the take on Jack Dixon - He is doing his job well, our Jamie Roberts if you will, breaks the gain line & gives the fowards a target,tackles like a demon. He will not make scintilating outside breaks because that's not his game - Am i missing something you guys are saying?
This.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 30 Aug 2014, 8:55 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:As an Ebbw boy born and bred I made the trip home this weekend for the game and glad I did.  Was a great game, said all along Powell could be a handy signing and if continues like that could be a very very handy signing, especially with Talei out injured.

Scrum was solid for most of game which is a big bonus, Tyler Morgan is class and hope Dixon gets some form back andthen there is Brewwwwwww just a cult hero.

The crowd was quoated at 3000 but not quite that I think but good turn out for a pre season friendly and I even persuaded some anti Dragons friend and families to come along, though fact that first round was one me might have had something to do with it.

I know some will crtiticise the old ground and access etc but its not worst ground I have been to and things are looking to be done there with access extending train link up to town (though Ebbw can make them put straight link into Newport).  

With KJ as an Ebbw boy as well I hope now they will look at maybe increasing games season on season maybe an LV game or a 'lesser' Pro12 game, there are few pubs near who would like the extra business to.

Well done Dragons

there is alot of potential in that ground bedford, room to develop if someone with money puts it

GD,

Thats always been the case and before Regions it was the same as a lot of grounds at that level and its like a lot of grounds now still at Ebbws level. There is rumours that they might develop it and it would be good if maybe they had some assurances of more dargons games up there that would help with the financial side but who knows.

Talking to a lot of friends and family before and after the game and this morning there are a lot of sceptics who had view changed and some even admitted that the Dragons are doing good work within the local community and schools etc. Of course with KJ being and Ebbw boy himself and a lot of the older generation knowing him from his Ebbw days has helped so heres hoping.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 30 Aug 2014, 10:22 pm

small steps but Munster should be someone we could and shouls aspire to be like in the way they split their games between musgrave and thomond

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 30 Aug 2014, 10:25 pm

GavinDragon wrote:small steps but Munster should be someone we could and shouls aspire to be like in the way they split their games between musgrave and thomond

That doesn't really work for them though. The Cork faction demands games but people in Cork don't turn up for them when they get played there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 30 Aug 2014, 10:35 pm

they dont have terrible attendances in musgrave though?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sat 30 Aug 2014, 10:58 pm

GavinDragon wrote:they dont have terrible attendances in musgrave though?

Thought i read somewhere that Munster season ticket sales have dwindled & they are having financial difficulties as people can not afford to go to games & as they are always televised they are staying away. Sure i read this in the last few months but can't remember where

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sat 30 Aug 2014, 11:18 pm

Which TH prop is better to have on the bench for Fairbrother, Way or Young? Anyone know how bad Pat Leach' injury is?

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sat 30 Aug 2014, 11:44 pm

Way - read the thread on Dragged Up about the Lydney game by Josh Perks? who played against the Drags - good insight into the dark arts!!
We also have Brok arriving in October of course who has a good reputation also

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sat 30 Aug 2014, 11:46 pm

Twitter post earlier suggested Pat has serious knee injury & that Gareth Maule could be on his way home - once a Dragon,always a Dragon!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sun 31 Aug 2014, 12:52 am

Maule looked good for the scarlets last season but doubt he will come

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 31 Aug 2014, 8:27 am

Leach will be a blow especially given Ash Smith has a terrible injury record to. Maule would be a good signing even if just as a bit of cover.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 31 Aug 2014, 9:24 am

dragon999 wrote:Not getting the take on Jack Dixon - He is doing his job well, our Jamie Roberts if you will, breaks the gain line & gives the fowards a target,tackles like a demon. He will not make scintilating outside breaks because that's not his game - Am i missing something you guys are saying?

I'm not saying he doesn't get over the gainline, more that he doesn't get as far over it as he could. I don't like to criticise him and it's out of frustration more than anything because I think he could be outstanding. It seemed to me last season that he would slow down when going into contact instead of really flying into it - compared to someone like Adam Hughes, who wouldn't slow down until someone made him. Maybe Andy Powell will have a word with him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 31 Aug 2014, 9:32 am

LP,

Still a young lad so loads I time to learn etc, him and Morgan are great assets for us and now with the new deal hopefully we can keep hild of players like him.

Really hope Powells head is in shape to as on Friday nights game he could be a really big player for us this year.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 31 Aug 2014, 10:02 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

I'm not saying he doesn't get over the gainline, more that he doesn't get as far over it as he could. I don't like to criticise him and it's out of frustration more than anything because I think he could be outstanding. It seemed to me last season that he would slow down when going into contact instead of really flying into it - compared to someone like Adam Hughes, who wouldn't slow down until someone made him. Maybe Andy Powell will have a word with him.

Totally different players and context there though to be fair - Adam Hughes was small and elusive (albeit very strong for his size) and tended to hit contact in one-on-ones), Dixon by contrast seems to have the knack of getting low for a big man and driving, pulling in defenders (particularly forwards).  He's also a beast in the rucks due to this ability. He's always going to be asked to set targets and use his size in that extra flanker role.

Think we'll see a lot more out of all our backs this season, and Dixon in particular will be freed up by not carrying a battered front five.  One thing that stood out from the Northampton game is that the Ystrad Mynach training base is already paying dividends in terms of our conditioning, for once we weren't dwarfed by a decent opposition team and able to cope with them physically.  This will put a lot more confidence in our game, and make our defence a lot more fragile.

Last edited by Stone Motif on Sun 31 Aug 2014, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : A lot less fragile, obviously...)
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 31 Aug 2014, 10:31 am

I was going to mention the stooping thing he does when he goes into contact. I'm sure it's better for dragging tacklers along, but does it assume he's going to have a tackler to drag along? I'd prefer to see him run on to the ball at pace and actually break the tackle. But again, I don't want to criticise too much, he's still young and has plenty of potential and time to learn.

We do look in much better shape now. In seasons past, Northampton would have battered us up front, and I got the impression they thought as much on Friday with all those penalties kicked to the corner in the first half. But we did so much better at containing the driving maul than last season, and they didn't get much change out of us in the scrum either. Having a platform to play off should make a hell of a difference this season.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 31 Aug 2014, 10:48 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I was going to mention the stooping thing he does when he goes into contact. I'm sure it's better for dragging tacklers along, but does it assume he's going to have a tackler to drag along? I'd prefer to see him run on to the ball at pace and actually break the tackle. But again, I don't want to criticise too much, he's still young and has plenty of potential and time to learn.

We do look in much better shape now. In seasons past, Northampton would have battered us up front, and I got the impression they thought as much on Friday with all those penalties kicked to the corner in the first half. But we did so much better at containing the driving maul than last season, and they didn't get much change out of us in the scrum either. Having a platform to play off should make a hell of a difference this season.

Fair enough, but while the plan is for Jack to commit the defence so the no 8/outside centre/back three can attack the space I think it's a bit unfair to criticise his development.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:35 pm

Stone M - rather hoping our defence this season will be totally opposite to fragile!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 31 Aug 2014, 4:09 pm

dragon999 wrote:Stone M - rather hoping our defence this season will be totally opposite to fragile!

Yep, being bigger, fitter and stronger to a man will help there, particularly the likes of Tovey. No coincidence Biggar matured a lot once he put the work in required in that respect.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 31 Aug 2014, 4:11 pm

I recently seen Elliott Dee, I think he's too small for a No.2 in this day and age.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sun 31 Aug 2014, 4:29 pm

The Saint wrote:I recently seen Elliott Dee, I think he's too small for a No.2 in this day and age.

Don't think so, I was amazed how "small" Dylan Hartley was when i saw him on Friday - These lads are absolute powerhouses & have no worries about Elliott on that score at all - He had a fine game on Friday particularly in the loose, throwing in needs work though

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 31 Aug 2014, 6:09 pm

I just thought of something... Andy Powell coming back to Dragons, his wife is Shanksy's ex mrs. Awkward moments.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 31 Aug 2014, 7:49 pm

Isn't she his (Powells) ex mrs as well now?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 31 Aug 2014, 8:41 pm

Still married and together as far as I know. I did hear about the spat they had, but don't know any details.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sun 31 Aug 2014, 8:44 pm

They are still together & she's expecting their first child - the babys head wetting sesh is going to be EPIC!!!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 31 Aug 2014, 11:23 pm

Andy turns up to the ceremony in a golf buggy, NATO security called back to Newport to secure the after party...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 05 Sep 2014, 2:47 pm

Is this game available ANYWHERE then? I quite fancy watching a game of rugby tonight!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Sep 2014, 2:57 pm

We are tomorrow and are the only game not to get any coverage this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Fri 05 Sep 2014, 4:00 pm

If jon evans gets injured tomorrow we will have a 10 playing 9

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 05 Sep 2014, 4:08 pm

Head Coach Pat Lam has named his squad for the opening round of the GUINNESS PRO12 against Newport Gwent Dragons at the Sportsground tomorrow, Saturday, KO 5pm.

In making their competitive Connacht debuts in round 1, lock Quinn Roux, scrum half Ian Porter and wing Niyi Adeolokun all start.

Jack Carty has been handed the reins at outhalf for the opening fixture while Shane Layden, from Carrick-on-Shannon, has been named at full back. The 21-year-old Academy back made a substitute appearance against Leinster in October 2011 but has battled with injuries in recent years. The former minor Roscommon footballer has trained with the senior squad all summer to earn his place in tomorrow’s starting line-up.

Up front, John Muldoon will captain from the blindside in a back row with fellow Galway man Eoin McKeon and New Zealander Jake Heenan, who makes a welcome return following surgery back in February.

From the bench, 21-year-old Academy graduate Conor Finn from Ballinasloe is also in line to earn his first competitive cap.

Commenting on team selection and the opening game, Head Coach Pat Lam said:

“Selecting the first team to go out was a really tough process. Despite some of the injuries we have, the competitiveness shown by the squad has made it difficult for the coaches but at the end of the day, that’s what we want from the players. The team that is lining out tomorrow is based on the hard work that has been done over the last nine weeks.

“It’s a very young side throughout but having the experience of leaders John Muldoon and Nathan White on the field will be invaluable.

“We have some Connacht debutants with both Ian Porter and Quinn Roux slotting in after a good pre-season. It’s also very pleasing to see young Niyi Adeolokun earning his first ever professional cap. Since he’s come in, he’s ticked every single box. He’s impressed his team mates and coaches with his work ethic and the speed at which he’s adapted to the professional set-up. He deserves this start and it’s very exciting for both him and his family.

“After a long battle with injuries, Shane Layden is back fighting fit and starting at full back tomorrow. His determination and focus to get back to this position is a credit to him.

“Without scrumhalf John Cooney available to us just yet, the IRFU have been very flexible to us in allowing Ireland international Kieran Marmion to take a place on the bench in order to cover number 9.

“We have prepared well but we know Dragons will be no pushover. They have recruited well in the summer and are coming here on the back of a huge win last week against the Northampton Saints, the current Premiership champions who had their full squad out. That shows exactly where they are at and they’ll be tough opponents for a lot of teams this year including us tomorrow.

“But we are still confident of getting off to a winning start at the Sportsground. Having a good home record is vital to us so the key thing is to channel all our excitement, effort, fight and desire to win at home into the process of winning the game.”

Connacht line-up v Newport Gwent Dragons

15. Shane Layden

14. Niyi Adeolokun

13. Darragh Leader

12. Dave McSharry

11. Danie Poolman

10. Jack Carty

9. Ian Porter

1. Denis Buckley

2. Dave Heffernan

3. Nathan White

4. Mick Kearney

5. Quinn Roux

6. John Muldoon ©

7. Jake Heenan

8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16. Sean Henry

17. Finlay Bealham

18. Rodney Ah You

19. George Naoupu

20. Willie Faloon

21. Kieran Marmion

22. Miah Nikora

23. Conor Finn

Unavailable / Injured: Jason Harris-Wright, Tom McCartney, Andrew Browne, Mata Fifita, Bundee Aki, Mils Muliaina, Tiernan O’Halloran, Shane O’Leary, Robbie Henshaw, Matt Healy, John Cooney

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Sep 2014, 6:45 pm

It's a big chance for us to finally get something in Galway, with who they have out. Hopefully we can go well. It will be very tough of course, but I am more confident for this game than I have been over previous trips. As long as we don't get embarrassed in the forwards like we did in the game at Dave last season, I'll take that though.

Not overly happy with the ref mind. We do seem to pick up a few penalties against us with him officiating.

Dorian did ok at 9 v Northampton. I think richie must have a niggle

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Fri 05 Sep 2014, 8:07 pm

We look good in forwards until Stankovic and Fairbrother go off, then we have no set peice

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sat 06 Sep 2014, 6:48 pm

Sound like the two yellow cards cost us and it makes it even more annoying when they are for stupid reasons

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 06 Sep 2014, 6:50 pm

dragon4life wrote:Sound like the two yellow cards cost us and it makes it even more annoying when they are for stupid reasons

Craggy Island FM pointed out a shedload of missed opportunities for us
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 06 Sep 2014, 6:55 pm

Hope that's just early season rust.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sat 06 Sep 2014, 7:02 pm

Hopefully

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 06 Sep 2014, 7:05 pm

The Saint wrote:Hope that's just early season rust.

Got to be seen as a step backwards either way after a good pre-season
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sat 06 Sep 2014, 7:12 pm

Could be a good wake up call bringing us back to reality?

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sat 06 Sep 2014, 7:15 pm

We need at least 2 from next 3. Can see us beating Ospreys and Treviso and maybe edging Glasgow?

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 06 Sep 2014, 7:18 pm

dragon4life wrote:We need at least 2 from next 3. Can see us beating Ospreys and Treviso and maybe edging Glasgow?

Depends, will we have to substitute a starting prop or score from a five man overlap at any point?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sat 06 Sep 2014, 7:34 pm

Brok Harris couldn't come soon enough

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Sep 2014, 3:21 am

Not going to edge Glasgow at the moment. Be a big game on Friday, but it was anyway no matter what happened today. Need a big Rodney parade factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:14 am

Risca Rev wrote:Not going to edge Glasgow at the moment. Be a big game on Friday, but it was anyway no matter what happened today. Need a big Rodney parade factor
Also need a big 60 minutes from the starting front five, after the replacements come in we will start to concede. We can put out a better back row than anything they have. Also need to put pressure on Dan Evans early and hope he has a crap game, or even better, Fussell to come in.

Stankovich, TRT, Fairbrother
Gough, Landman
Coombs, Faletau, Evans
Evans, Tovey
Dixon, Morgan
Prydie, Byrne, Brew

Comedy prop A, Dee, Comedy prop B, Hill, Powell, Tombola half backs A and B, Nightingale, Pewtner?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 07 Sep 2014, 9:11 pm

Stone,

I would be tempted to put Powell at No6 that would be a pretty meaty backrow.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:00 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Stone,

I would be tempted to put Powell at No6 that would be a pretty meaty backrow.

If our bench wasn't likely to offer little impact, I'd agree with you.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2