The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

+40
funnyExiledScot
RDW
George Carlin
justified sinner
GLove39
21st Century Schizoid Man
EST
VinceWLB
EWT Spoons
Geordie
TJ
Pal Joey
Welly
Poorfour
des
St John The Enforcer
lostinwales
Imperialbigdave
tigertattie
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Dorothy_Mantooth
R!skysports
highland_scot
SecretFly
RuggerRadge2611
madmaccas
the_oncoming_storm
reallybored
alive555
Biltong
demosthenes
MacKnocked-on
Weegie Wizard
BigGee
nickj
Nematode
Majestic83
44 posters

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 10 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

Post by George Carlin Fri 27 Jun 2014, 6:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Historical Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 10 Blacka10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii

A new thread for the 2014/5 season.

A. Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 10 Edinbu10

1. Coaching Team

Alan Solomons - head coach
Stevie Scott -  assistant coach
Omar Mouneimne - assistant coach

2. Players In

Neil Cochrane from London Wasps
John Andress from Worcester Warriors
Rory Sutherland from Gala RFC
Tom Heathcote from Bath Rugby
Michael Tait from Newcastle Falcons
Fraser McKenzie from Newcastle Falcons
Phil Burleigh from the Highlanders
Anton Bresler from the Sharks
Brett Thompson from USA 7s

3. Players Out

Steven Lawrie retired
Alun Walker released
Alex Allan to Glasgow Warriors
Geoff Cross to London Irish
Lewis Niven released
Sean Cox to London Irish
Robert McAlpine released
Perry Parker to Rotherham Titans
Izak van der Westhuizen released
Ross Rennie to Bristol Rugby
Dimitri Basilaia released
Alex Black released
Greig Laidlaw to Gloucester Rugby
Chris Leck released
Piers Francis released
Gregor Hunter released
Harry Leonard to Leeds Carnegie
Ben Atiga retired
Ben Cairns retired
Nick De Luca to Biarritz Olympique
Lee Jones released
Aleki Lutui to Gloucester Rugby

4. Pre-season Fixtures

Leicester Tigers v Edinburgh
Saturday 23 August, 14:00
Welford Road

Edinburgh v Newcastle Falcons
Friday 29 August, 19:45
Mansfield Park, Hawick

B. Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 10 Glasgo10

1. Coaching Team

Gregor Townsend – Head Coach
Shade Munro – Forwards Coach
Matt Taylor – Defence Coach

2. Players In

Alex Allan from Edinburgh
Murray McConnell from Ayr RFC
Euan Murray from Worcester Warriors
James Downey from Munster
Rossouw de Klerk from the Cheetahs

3. Players Out

Moray Low to Exeter Chiefs
Chris Cusiter to Sale Sharks
Ruaridh Jackson to London Wasps
Ed Kalman retired
Byron McGuigan released
Finlay Gillies released
Scott Wight to Melrose RFC
Gabriel Ascárate released
Folau Niua released
Carlin Isles to USA 7s

4. Pre-season Fixtures

Glasgow Warriors v Harlequins
Saturday 23 August, 14:30
Scotstoun Stadium

London Scottish v Glasgow Warriors
Saturday 30 August, 15:00
Richmond Athletic Ground

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:37 am; edited 8 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 10 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Jul 2014, 3:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:This place isn't much better when it comes to all things Edinburgh!

What do they come on for? To get an ego boost when they play well, or see what everyone is saying about them if they play badly?

Suggestions on where they should be playing!

#Vernon

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 10 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

Post by GLove39 Wed 30 Jul 2014, 4:32 pm

I'm Roddy Grant.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 30 Jul 2014, 4:45 pm

The SRU is unfortuantly still in the old school tie club when it comes to youth rugby.

Now before I go any further, I would like to state that I have no sour grapes about my rugby career! Althoguh immensly talented, I played rugby for the social and fun side. I never intended playing the game on a serious note. A shoulder injury a few years back is the only thing that has stopped me from playing.

Here is where the fun starts!

In secondary school I played in the 2nd XV. For my local club, I played in the 1st XV. I once played for my club against my school and we utterly hammered them. WHen we left schools, some of the boys that were in the school 1st XV came and played for the club. These boys who kept me out of the School XV couldnt keep me out of the club side. Some of the guys played for for our county and two of them played under 18 for Scotland. One of the under 18's would regularly warm the bench while I started games for my club.

I could outrun, out bench-press and out squat him. I know these things themselves make hee haw of a difference, but in general play I would out perform him which is why I started and he was the sub. Yet when it came to the call to play for the under 20's for Scotland, he got the nod and I didnt. Why? I say its because he had his foot in the door at school due to the one-eyed approach of our coach back then. This then favoured him after we left school.

You could say that the SRU favoured him because he wanted to play pro rugby and I didn't. And fair enough that would be. But the other 2nd row in our team was a better player than I was. He wanted to play pro rugby. When it came time to make a sub, as he was better, he stayed on and I came off. But the SRU didn't look in his direction either!

It's high time the SRU had some form of open trials for anyone to come along to! Wee Boab from Greenock could one day be the next Scott Murray but because he doesnt go to Merchiston or Heriots, he doesnt get a look in!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 31 Jul 2014, 11:25 am

I'm Fergus Pringle.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 31 Jul 2014, 11:52 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm Fergus Pringle.

Was there not a game where Fergus Pringle had an "episode" just before kick off and ran out of the changing rooms and was seen running out the car park?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Thu 31 Jul 2014, 12:56 pm

I'm Marcus Di Rollo.

If any fans fancy buying these I can sign them and send them over. Never were much use to me, but I liked the colour - brought out my eyes.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513Vkxes6LL.jpg

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 31 Jul 2014, 4:12 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm Fergus Pringle.

Was there not a game where Fergus Pringle had an "episode" just before kick off and ran out of the changing rooms and was seen running out the car park?

That's the one.

The gloom had started to form in the build-up to the match, when Fergus Pringle, 28, the lock forward, was found in a confused condition in the stadium car park, with blood flowing from a head wound. The cause of Pringle's distress was unknown, but the suggestion was that he suffered some sort of anxiety-related attack in the dressing room and may have suffered his injury while running from the ground.

A statement from the Scottish Rugby Union confirmed that Pringle had been withdrawn due to "an accident", the circumstances of which were under investigation. The player was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, but it is believed he was not detained overnight.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 01 Aug 2014, 9:00 pm

Im Claire balding Dave Denton
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 03 Aug 2014, 5:30 am

I'm Spartacus.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 04 Aug 2014, 12:13 pm

Surely that's a "I am" rather than an "I'm" GC??

The Edinburgh pre-season training regime looks completely brutal. Johan Pretorius, head of strength and conditioning, does not sound like a man to cross!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 04 Aug 2014, 12:17 pm

It does indeed - the Arthur's seat hill sprints looked particularly brutal.

Whatever happens with their performances, at least we know they'll be the fittest they have ever been!

Bet Atiga is delighted he left this year...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 04 Aug 2014, 12:20 pm

Atiga is currently sitting in a Krispy Kreme doing his own pre season training
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 04 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm

Atiga would have died on those Arthur's Seat hill sprints, no question. When he first played for Edinburgh he was blowing after 10 minutes and falling off the pace. 10 minutes.

I'm delighted to see the players going through this regime. We've been too soft in previous seasons and lacked the intensity to focus for 80 minutes, despite playing some good stuff in patches. The players may collapse around Christmas, but we should be starting the season in good shape!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 04 Aug 2014, 12:38 pm

By January, I am fully expecting Willem Nel to turn up with a note from his mum excusing him from games.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 04 Aug 2014, 1:04 pm

Nah - in January he'll have had the confidence booster of destroying Gordon Reid en route to an emphatic 1872 Cup victory for the nation's capital.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 04 Aug 2014, 1:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Nah - in January he'll have had the confidence booster of destroying Gordon Reid en route to an emphatic 1872 Cup victory for the nation's capital.

I thought you'd said you had stopped taking those pills?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 04 Aug 2014, 1:21 pm

Nope

Shocked 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 04 Aug 2014, 1:53 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Nope

Shocked 
Roll up, roll up for the FES Stockbridge Tram Psychedelic Mystery Tour.

music Come oooooooon. Come ooooooon (etc) music
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 04 Aug 2014, 2:03 pm

No trams in Stockbridge. The residents' association have only just permitted motor vehicles to traverse the beloved cobbles streets. That was such a massive concession we agreed that it ought to be announced on the wireless, with a notice published in the Gazette.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 04 Aug 2014, 3:11 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:No trams in Stockbridge. The residents' association have only just permitted motor vehicles to traverse the beloved cobbles streets. That was such a massive concession we agreed that it ought to be announced on the wireless, with a notice published in the Gazette.
I thought that the full page notice in Horse and Hound magazine was a bit of overkill, mind you.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 04 Aug 2014, 3:22 pm

I'll not have any more of this Stokbridge slagging - I've never lived there but I know that Brendan Chainsaw Laney used to live there and if it was good enough for such a legend then it is a place that deserves respect!

Plus Francos is the best chippy in Edinburgh (and none of this salt an vinegar nonsense)!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 04 Aug 2014, 4:09 pm

Claire Balding, as in the Edinburgh number 8, also lives in Stockbridge as well.

I think it's a cracking place to live personally, but then again I've never been to Ayr.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 04 Aug 2014, 5:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'll not have any more of this Stokbridge slagging - I've never lived there but I know that Brendan Chainsaw Laney used to live there and if it was good enough for such a legend then it is a place that deserves respect!

Plus Francos is the best chippy in Edinburgh (and none of this salt an vinegar nonsense)!

Thanks - dinner ideas sorted now :-)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 05 Aug 2014, 8:21 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Claire Balding, as in the Edinburgh number 8, also lives in Stockbridge as well.

I think it's a cracking place to live personally, but then again I've never been to Ayr.
Not to worry, nobody's perfect. Apart from Deepika Padukone, that is.

I like to think that the boarded up shops on Ayr High Street, that Chinese restauraunt on Sandgate that gave everyone the squitz and the abandoned shopping trolleys protruding from the River Ayr lend the place a certain je ne sais quoi.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 05 Aug 2014, 9:52 am

Is there no statue to Mark Bennett yet?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 05 Aug 2014, 10:33 am

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Claire Balding, as in the Edinburgh number 8, also lives in Stockbridge as well.

I like to think that the boarded up shops on Ayr High Street, that Chinese restauraunt on Sandgate that gave everyone the squitz and the abandoned shopping trolleys protruding from the River Ayr lend the place a certain je ne sais quoi.

I just Googled that. Jeez....  heart 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 05 Aug 2014, 10:38 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Is there no statue to Mark Bennett yet?

The Council are debating it so I'm told. It's going to be a trio in the style of Auguste Rodin, featuring Finn Russell, Gordon Reid and Mark Bennett (in the centre of course).

The question is whether to put it next to Poundstretcher or Ali's Cave.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 05 Aug 2014, 11:29 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

I know, right?
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 10 Amazem10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 05 Aug 2014, 12:06 pm

Just seen Adam Ashe has been given a new one-year pro contract at the soap dodgers. Pleased to hear that news, and he'll learn plenty off Strauss and Wilson.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 05 Aug 2014, 12:14 pm

Wilson has already pulled him aside and said:

"if Scott Johnson rocks up and asks you to play at six for Scotland. Run!!!"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 05 Aug 2014, 2:09 pm

He's already played for Scotland away from home against the Springboks.

Playing for Glasgow will be a piece of p!ss after that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 05 Aug 2014, 2:41 pm

George Carlin wrote:He's already played for Scotland away from home against the Springboks.

Playing for Glasgow will be a piece of p!ss after that.

Good preparation for the 1872 game at Murrayfield. Similar accents, vastly inferior players however......

I wonder how he feels about that experience against South Africa. Hopefully he feels that he belongs at that level and needs to work hard to get there. The alternative is that he'll be completely traumatised!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 05 Aug 2014, 4:07 pm

OMG!!!

I wish the season would start already! I'm sooooooooooooo bored at work and need something to aim for at the weekends!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 05 Aug 2014, 4:15 pm

Tell me about it. I'm switching jobs in September so am currently eeking out a slow moving notice period. It's sunny outside as well......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 05 Aug 2014, 4:44 pm

Well I'm sitting my professional review to become a chartered civil engineer in October, so the less distractions I have on here in September time the better!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 05 Aug 2014, 4:49 pm

I have no idea what any of that means but good luck with that!

I'm sure there will be little to discuss in September.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 05 Aug 2014, 5:33 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

I'm sure she's charming, but she's nothing next to Finn Russell's sister in my eyes. heart 
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Aug 2014, 7:36 am

Oh ffs

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/touch-rugby-mishap-causes-david-denton-injury-1-3500309

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Aug 2014, 8:16 am

For those that can't read that at work - Denton pulled his hammy during a game of touch, and is likely to be out until late October / early November.

Not a complete disaster with Du Preez moving to 8, but we haven't got a massive number of 6/8 so could quickly find us struggling if we get any more injuries.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 06 Aug 2014, 9:53 am

Hart has dislocated his elbow as well apparently, so looks like he is going to miss the start of the season as well. They must be playing a fairly high intensity style of touch rugby. Well he did say that he was going to ramp up the training intensity this year!

Anyway looks like Kennedy and S H-C will be getting the 9 jersey to start off with. That should be no disaster either, both need some regular game time to move onwards.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 06 Aug 2014, 9:58 am

Just read about Denton, that does leave us pretty light, especially given Grant's just finished the Games.

Am I right in thinking our only back row options are Du Preez, Coman, Denton (when fit), Grant, Bradbury and Miller as listed on the website?

What about Jamie Ritchie and Hamish Watson? Have they missed anyone else off the team list? I suppose McInally and McKenzie can cover 6/8 between them?

Hart is out too.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 06 Aug 2014, 10:31 am

Can't believe that about One Direction.

Wonder if anyone's got Al Strokosch's mobile number?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Aug 2014, 10:40 am

Any news in who strokosh is playing for? I'm assuming he's staying at perpignan?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Aug 2014, 10:46 am

Hart being out doesn't bother me at all. I want to see more of SH-C and Kennedy this season in any case.

Denton is a big blow. You missed off Tomas Leonardi Nickj - I suspect that he, Coman and Du Preez will be the first choice back row now. All NSQ naturally. Not a bad outfit, but leaving all the ball carrying to Du Preez basically.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 06 Aug 2014, 10:54 am

Nice one FES. I had a feeling I'd missed someone off the list. The official website is a bit shonky, unless I'm mistaken and Jamie Ritchie and Hamish Watson have gone out on loan or something?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Aug 2014, 11:15 am

Not sure about Watson and Ritchie, but Miller's stats according to the website suggest that he hasn't yet reached 15 stones, so I'd suggest that he's got a bit of conditioning ahead of him before making his Edinburgh debut at number 8. Also Bradbury was born after the 1995 World Cup, and that bothers me hugely!

You're right though, the website is shonky.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Aug 2014, 11:18 am

Shonky? That's a new one!

I hope Hamish Watson gets a good run of games before Grant returns.  They are both the shame size, but Watson is far more athletic and provides a lot of pace. He's also in the shape of his life having seen some of the pre-season videos.

A backrow of Leonardi-Du Preez-Coman is woefully slow and un-athletic. Sounds like Solomons' ideal backrow!

There is Jamie Ritchie too but he is barely 18 and in need of some conditioning before being a realistic option.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 06 Aug 2014, 11:23 am

They better update the website asap! Also it would be better to use the "unavailable" tab for EDP players as it's quite confusing and i have never seen anyone in that tab even though their was a handful of injured players towards the end of last season!

I think they said Coman had an op too and could miss the 1st few games so back row could be Leonardi, Du Preez, Grant/Watson which i don't think is that bad but no more injuries please. Also FES, Leonardi can carry, maybe not quite as well as Du Preez but he is a big ball carrier.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Aug 2014, 11:34 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Shonky? That's a new one!

It's a technical engineering term. You wouldn't understand.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 06 Aug 2014, 11:35 am

Maybe we should christen Leonardi-Du Preez-Coman the 'manatees'? It sounds a bit like the 'Killer Bees' but a bit sh*tter, fatter and slower...

Mind you Roddy Grant is no whippet, as demonstrated in the Sevens.

When you compare those options with the youngsters at Glasgow you wonder why Solomons didn't make an attempt to grab Ashe, Bordill or Spinks.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next