The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Porter v Brook, August 16th, Stubhub Center California: Who Wins?

+17
AlexHuckerby
mobilemaster8
Seanusarrilius
Derbymanc
JabMachineMK2
owen10ozzy
John Bloody Wayne
TRUSSMAN66
aja424
bellchees
88Chris05
Gerry SA
tommyhearnsprodigalson
wheelchair1991
joeyjojo618
Strongback
Sugar Boy Sweetie
21 posters

Go down

Porter v Brook, August 16th, Stubhub Center California: Who Wins? Empty Porter v Brook, August 16th, Stubhub Center California: Who Wins?

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 03 Jul 2014, 12:14 am

It's on, Eddie Hearn has just confirmed on twitter. Interested to hear people's predictions & rationale.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Porter v Brook, August 16th, Stubhub Center California: Who Wins? Empty Re: Porter v Brook, August 16th, Stubhub Center California: Who Wins?

Post by Strongback Thu 03 Jul 2014, 6:33 am

It's a long time coming but finally we are going to find out if Brook has it or not. Pity home advantage couldn't be secured but win or lose Matchroom will get exposure in the States.

I hope Brook makes a decent go at it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Porter v Brook, August 16th, Stubhub Center California: Who Wins? Empty Re: Porter v Brook, August 16th, Stubhub Center California: Who Wins?

Post by joeyjojo618 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 6:57 am

Brook would probably prefer it in the states, helps to build his name there. Good bit of business.

Im worried that Brook has spent too long beating up binmen, he might find himself out of his depth. Ill be cheering him though and I think he might sneak a UD.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 7:47 am

Looking forward to the fight hope brook can win, its interesting that Eddie has said he didnt want to go to purse bids because he wanted certain things in the contract which he would have lost had he gone to purse bids and lost, one of the things he wanted and has got is random drug testing

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Thu 03 Jul 2014, 7:53 am

I think this has the makings of a great fight, i can see porter rushing in and winning the first 4-5 rounds then brook takes over for a points victory,

War Brook...........

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 03 Jul 2014, 9:32 am

Porter by 6th KO

Brook will then have a rubber match with P4P great Carson Jones.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 10:37 am

Porter understandably the favourite based on his record and recent form, but fact is nobody knows for sure quite how good his opponent is at the highest level yet, which makes it a slightly tricky one to predict with any great confidence, for me. The Porter who outhustled Alexander and blew away Paulie beats any version of Brook we've seen so far, it could be a cometh the hour, cometh the man kind of deal for Brook, who might not have shown his best yet.

Brook's got nice skills, good jab and accuracy etc, but so far in his career he's only really shown the ability to box at one pace - and that's a slower pace than the one Porter set against Malignaggi. There have been a few of his fights where he's run out of steam a bit or just plateaued from the middle rounds onwards and near the end (Matt Hatt, Jones I and II albeit he still pushed enough for a stoppage there, N'Dou etc) and I'm not convinced he's corrected that yet....And I'm struggling to see a scenario where Porter won't at least take him in to the championship rounds.

With a bit of imagination and a leap of faith I can see why many see Brook pulling this off, however if you go with the cold hard evidence and judge them on their careers so far, it's Porter's fight. I think Porter will struggle with Brook and it'll be competitive, but right now I'm not sure Brook will be able to discourage Porter enough or deal with his new-found power and physicality if he starts slowing down again as the fight progresses. Might revise this nearer the time because as I said I think it's an interesting fight to try and call, but right now I'll edge towards a late stoppage for Porter.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jul 2014, 10:55 am

I have a feeling Porter will go into this like Broner did against Maidana (namely thinking all he has to do is turn up). Porter's getting a fair bit of press since Broner's loss and he's now the "latest big thing" in the eyes of some. I've never rated Alexander and Malignaggi's mouth has done as much as his fists to convince people he's top tier so it's difficult gauge just how good Porter really is, just like people have no real idea how Kell will react when in with better fighters.

If Brook fights like he did for the first five or six rounds against Carson Jones we'll definitely see what Porter is made of, but the question is how much Brook really wants this. He rarely gets involved in brawls and outside of the latter half of the first Jones fight, rarely gets made to work too hard.

It's there to be won but his corner will need to be in his ear constantly to make sure he keeps his focus.

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 03 Jul 2014, 1:21 pm

I think Brook withdraws with an injury picked up in sparring in late July.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 1:27 pm

Should be ok as long as jabmachine hasn't been selected as a sparring partner.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 03 Jul 2014, 1:28 pm

bellchees wrote:I think Brook withdraws with an injury picked up in sparring in late July.

Laugh 

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 1:31 pm

aja424 wrote:Should be ok as long as jabmachine hasn't been selected as a sparring partner.

Rowley's going to have to start emptying his message box now... Wink 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jul 2014, 2:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
aja424 wrote:Should be ok as long as jabmachine hasn't been selected as a sparring partner.

that some kind of euphemism?!?!!?!?!?

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 03 Jul 2014, 2:38 pm

I feel bad for guys like Brook and Cleverly. Cleverly was matched with gimmes who prepared him for nothing, then stepped up to face the new KO king arriving on a good run of form.

Brook is in a similar situation, been put in with nobodies and now he's in with a new big name in the division who looks to be entering his prime.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 2:58 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I struggle with anything over eight letters...Fortunately Divorce is only seven..........

I actually fancy Brook (he is handsome!! Wink ) .....No seriously think he has the tools but as I've said before there is a touch of Michael Watson about him.....The fact he makes life hard for himself needlessly.....

But I'm going to say he wins by late stoppage........Porter doesn't convince me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 03 Jul 2014, 5:53 pm

Bellchees is already looking strong favourite for the prediction...

The bout has already been postponed and won't take place till Sept 9th now! Another to add to the endless list of debacles with Brook..

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 6:12 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

No its Truss trying to be funny with falsehoods as usual.

Did chuckle at the original comment until beefster came up with his usual tripe  clap

I'm genuinely not sure about this, Brook is good - that much we know, but he's never been in with well....anyone really. Carson Jones was his sternest test and if you're pushed by Jones then you would probably struggle/lose against Porter.

I'm not sure because Kell at times looks a million dollars against sub-par opposition but he's been contemplating moving up as he's a huge welterweight. Will just have to wait and see.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 03 Jul 2014, 6:30 pm

Think if this gets postponed again you have to start doubting what Brook really wants and stick him in a similar bracket to Haye with screwing the fans over

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 03 Jul 2014, 9:21 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Bellchees is already looking strong favourite for the prediction...

The bout has already been postponed and won't take place till Sept 9th now! Another to add to the endless list of debacles with Brook..

Where did you hear this (or is it a wind up)? Brook tweeted less than 3 hours ago that it's August 9th.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 9:24 pm

August 9th? Thought it was the 16th?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 03 Jul 2014, 9:30 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:August 9th? Thought it was the 16th?

Yeah, that's what I meant.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 9:32 pm

Ah ok just checking Smile

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 03 Jul 2014, 10:17 pm

I think Porter wins. Brook has hung at Euro level too long, and I have seen him troubled by lesser opposition. If Porter puts it on him he probably stops Kell. If Kell can weather an onslaught, he might take Porter into deep water, but I don't see it. At this point, I have to say Porter KO and hopeI am wrong.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:07 pm

Agree Sean. Hopefully Brook gets splatted across the ring and shown up.

Then maybe he will disappear into Sheffield somewhere and have a drink with Carson.

The hype for the so called Special K hopefully comes to an end in August.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:35 pm

Just get this almighty feeling that Kell has a few gears to step up that we haven't yet seen, slight leap of faith I just see him doing a number on Porter...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:38 pm

Also guys let's not forget Julio Diaz pushed Porter very close and outboxed him for large periods not all that long ago too, we haven't seen Brook been outboxed yet just seen his stamina fail is all... It does very much sound as though his stamina is under check now and has looked far better since the fight against Jones the first time. Though he hasn't been dragged into the deep waters yet.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:49 pm

But alex Julio Diaz is on another level in comparison to Carson Jones!!

The latter half of the first fight, brook got his face smashed up.

He also got rocked to his boots by Senchenko.

I'm sorry, but unless he seriously becomes a good boxer over nighy, I see Porter just wiping him out or just pounding him all fight.

He did not look happy in the first Jones fight and does not look happy if he is fighting someome with a pulse who will give him a fight.

Porter by LKO or UD.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:51 pm

I'd go as far to say that he is Britain's most over rated boxer and hype job. Ever.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:01 am

You seem to have a rather irrational dislike for Brook which seems to make you spin numerous lies;

1. Diaz as a Welterweight is not on a different level to Jones, the pair of them are gatekeepers in the division who rarely if ever win against a named fighter.

2. Brook was not rocked to his boots by Senchenko he was momentarily staggered.

3. Brook is a good fighter, he's not been fighting at the top level but that doesn't mean he's rubbish like you seem to want to suggest at every opportunity.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:05 am

Porter has been developed properly and been given the right kinds of fights and experience. Brook has been d1cking around for years in waste of time fights and not taking his career seriously. I think hes in for a rude awakening.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:07 am

I think he is rubbish and its about personal opinion.

Who has he fought and beaten well to say he is even world level himself?

Matthew Hatton?

Carson Jones?

Hell.....maybe Carson Jones 2?!

Senchenko?

Yet Hearn blabbers on weekly about the proposed coming of the messiah and how he knocks out Porter and he is world levwl mixing it with the hatton slayer etc.

At least Porter has beaten Alexander and Malignaggi....they are above any fighter Brook has fought and he handled them with ease.

So yeh, I'd say Brook is over rated and hasn't fought any world level fighter in my eyes and has struggled with some of the fighters he has faced.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:09 am

I agree catch weight. He has been doing nothing for years apart from fighting in multiple eliminator fights and pulling out of title fights or even not being bothered to make weight for fights.

The guy is a joke with a bunch of talents that he is clearly wasting and now it sea too late to help him.

Porter destroys him.

LKO or UD but Brook is not winning this fight.

If he does I'll eat my hat and humble pie, but I really can't see it.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:15 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:But alex Julio Diaz is on another level in comparison to Carson Jones!!

The latter half of the first fight, brook got his face smashed up.

He also got rocked to his boots by Senchenko.

I'm sorry, but unless he seriously becomes a good boxer over nighy, I see Porter just wiping him out or just pounding him all fight.

He did not look happy in the first Jones fight and does not look happy if he is fighting someome with a pulse who will give him a fight.

Porter by LKO or UD.
Agree with some of that, however like I say, Brook hasn't been outboxed, whereas Porter was being technically beaten at occassions, this is something that hasn't happened to Brook, though you do most certainly as you rightly say have to take into the accounts the particular levels.
The only thing that has been of a major concern for me has been his stamina which will most certainly get tested again against Porter, but for me I just think he has it in him to turn this one and come away with the W as long as his stamina holds up.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 04 Jul 2014, 7:24 am

I wonder how much patriotism colours the thinking of the general sports fan.

There must have been a study done somewhere on how deluded a person can become when analyzing the sporting prospects of a fellow countryman.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 9:42 am

Strongback wrote:I wonder how much patriotism colours the thinking of the general sports fan.

There must have been a study done somewhere on how deluded a person can become when analyzing the sporting prospects of a fellow countryman.
Would have thought you'd be the resident expert on blindly supporting someone because of his heritage despite overwhelming evidence to suggest that he's shyte

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:55 am

Strange one porter, nothing in his record to suggest he's going to make that much of a mark, then does a number on Alexander and splatters the previously iron chinned paulie. Has he found sudden improvements? A better nutritionist?  Was he flattered by a shot paulie?

Brook, clearly hasn't fought anyone of genuine elite level, has tended to fade in fights... Has he sorted out his conditioning? Was that wobble against senchenko a suggestion he might have whisker issues? Something we hadn't seen before. He has heart though, he gassed very badly against jones, and shipped a lot of leather to get through to the final bell.

A few imponderables in this one for me. Had this fight been raking place 18 months ago we'd be fancying brook's chances, On the evidence of what we've seen since, porter is firm favourite.

Key for brook is whether he can back porter up, diaz managed it and porter looks very beatable on the back foot... Big if though. Not sure there's much in it ability wise, but from a stretch/conditioning perspective it looks like porter's fight. I'll be watching though, very much a live and interesting fight in my book.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I struggle with anything over eight letters...Fortunately Divorce is only seven..........

I actually fancy Brook (he is handsome!! Wink ) .....No seriously think he has the tools but as I've said before there is a touch of Michael Watson about him.....The fact he makes life hard for himself needlessly.....

But I'm going to say he wins by late stoppage........Porter doesn't convince me..

You do know Porter is American........right?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:30 pm

Didn't say I wanted Brook to win..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:38 pm

Well you do fancy him?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:54 pm

I only fancy Men with scouse accents....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I only fancy Men with scouse accents....

Stan Boardman wants to know if the Oyster will do OAP discounts.

Oh the laughs you'll have talking about the Geeeeeermunz and Fokkers!

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:54 pm

Anyone imparticular?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:59 pm

Thinking me and you dinner... then a movie and then back to a hotel room...

My wife could bring her camcorder with my Batman suit..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 04 Jul 2014, 2:27 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Thinking me and you dinner... then a movie and then back to a hotel room...

So you want dress up in your batman suit a record me giving your wife a good once over?

You don't need to wine a dine me for that  thumbsup 

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 04 Jul 2014, 3:38 pm

Truss is artistic with his home blue movies, soldier. No ordinary jo trussman normally plays mrs freeze.

For this one, she wears the batman suit, he needs a scouser to play robin, obviously, and he sits back and marvels at the comic value.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 4:05 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Thinking me and you dinner... then a movie and then back to a hotel room...

So you want dress up in your batman suit a record me giving your wife a good once over?

You don't need to wine a dine me for that  thumbsup 
Wouldn't even have to ask me nicely...Mrs TRUSSMAN didn't...I was too scared to say no to be honest!

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 04 Jul 2014, 5:00 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

Anyone imparticular?

Peter North telling him to calm down really gets him going apparently.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down