The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frankie Gavin Spoiler Alert

+2
rob-glos
wheelchair1991
6 posters

Go down

Frankie Gavin Spoiler Alert Empty Frankie Gavin Spoiler Alert

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 11:46 pm

Dont know how many of you watched it tonight what a fight!! Frankie's lack of power really cost him in my view as he dropped a split descision scores 114-113 Bundu 114-113 Bundu 115-112 Gavin, i scored it a draw so cant really complain
Where does Gavin go from here

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Frankie Gavin Spoiler Alert Empty Re: Frankie Gavin Spoiler Alert

Post by rob-glos Fri 01 Aug 2014, 11:54 pm

Tough one. It could have gone either way and he did brilliantly to get up from the body shot. 

Really good fight but I think you're right about his lack of power. 

Welterweight is packed with top fighters and I can't see him ever being able to operate at the upper echelons of the division. 

Maybe European is his level.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 11:56 pm

A clear Bundu win, 8-4 i would say and then you have the knockdown that should have ended it, no doubt the ref was paid in cash.
No way should Bundu take the rematch and expect to win, the judges will be more carefully selected.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 02 Aug 2014, 12:04 am

I picked Bundu by close, perhaps even mildly controversial decision in my preview for this. Had to get one right eventually!

Same concerns I and no doubt a few others had seem to have been what's cost him here going on what I'm reading. Won't be back at home sweet home until tomorrow night to watch it, mind you, but while you'd hope this would be a kick up the backside for Gavin and spur him on to add to his game and knuckle down, I fear it might be the other way round given his past history of mental issues and fragility.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 02 Aug 2014, 12:53 am

Lack of firepower was part of the problem. The other was stupidity.

Having established he couldn't fend Bundu off, the obvious fight plan was use superior ring craft to punch and run, especially after the knock down. So, why did Gavin continually spend about a 1/3 of each round on the ropes to get hit?

They obviously believe that Bundu was "old" and like all old people, he simply had to tire in the later rounds. So, targetting the body and playing ropey dope was the fight plan.

However, having narrowly survived being put down by a body punch, playing punch bag on the ropes has to be seen as insanity and after 8 rounds it was Gavin who looked "older". So, thinking Bundu would tire was obviously false.

In short, lack of punch power and failing to adapt were the issues.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 02 Aug 2014, 11:45 am

I put it down to laziness to a degree, i've said the moment he turned pro he should be fighting at lightweight or light welterweight, he doesn't have the size, strength or power to compete at Welterweight.

Will say however that Bundu could have been a pretty decent world level operator had he turned pro younger.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down