The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer watch

+8
cats_r_cool
Wooffie
gallery play
Tenez
socal1976
bogbrush
legendkillar
mm15
12 posters

Go down

Federer watch Empty Federer watch

Post by mm15 Wed May 25, 2011 12:23 pm

I simply cant believe there is nothing on Roger federer, even for his fans on the tennis page, have you all lost hope in him? I think am in the minority here. I know his is no longer as competitive with top 2. But I feel he still is up there.... thumbsup

Last edited by mm15 on Wed May 25, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
mm15
mm15

Back to top Go down

Federer watch Empty Re: Federer watch

Post by legendkillar Wed May 25, 2011 1:03 pm

I haven't lost hope or faith in Federer's game. Nadal had the best year of his career in 2010 and now in 2011 Djokovic is playing some of the best tennis ever seen. Federer is at a stage in his career that he can't improve dramatically. What he can do though is just tighten up in area's of his game that may not be so effective anymore.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed May 25, 2011 1:44 pm

I've lost no faith in Federer, but i do recognise his level is a long way below what he was in his prime. That he remains a genuine Slam threat despite this, and the changes in the game that don't help him, simply reaffirms my faith in his ability.

Steady progress into Round 3, I see no obvious reason why he shouldn't better last years performance, and Noles run has to end soon, and Fed may have the game to play to his weaknesses (something Nadal cannot do).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed May 25, 2011 2:14 pm

mm15, we had a fed page nobody posted on it ever so the moderators cut it out until some Fed fan decided to reopen it. Personally, i think Fed still has another swan song left in him, maybe one more run to grandslam glory. I think its safe to say though that just like any great athlete as he ages, he is no where near the top of his game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed May 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Where is it? I thought it was a disgrace that there's no sticky for the GOAT when he's still #3. Point me to it and I'll post there to keep it open.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed May 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Like I said bogbrush it was deleted for lack of activity. The number one fansite is for Nadal the Rafateers post thousands of times on Rafa. Then I would say #2 is Murray, and #3 is Novak. We just didn't have any fed supporters of a hardcore nature until you and tenez showed up. I think its great to have fed supporters, but the second you ask for a fed fan site I am sure that the mods will make one appear for you.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed May 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Coolness.

I can't promise to post with the rabid intensity of Rafateers though; I have no interest in my favourite players bottom, whether the poor dear looks upset, or what colour shirt he's wearing today. At least not my favourite ATP player anyhow, and only then in the first case.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed May 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Don't knock the Rafateers they are pretty cool and you have to respect that they support their guy.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed May 25, 2011 2:38 pm

I have the feeling that since I joined a few Rafateers left. Used to be a pro-rafa forum and this is why I hesitated joining. I did not realise I could have so much influence! Smile

The "time between points thread" was a killer for some.

Shame, if ever we want to rereate another 606, we should have all views on board.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed May 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Tenez, they have always pretty much posted mainly on the Rafa site, although their participation on the main site has dwindled quite a bit. I hope that more of them would participate in the main site.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed May 25, 2011 3:12 pm

The thing is: Federer needs to put himself into a position where stamina, speed and power are of less importance. Under some circumstances Fed still can do it, like in Madrid against Nadal. The last few games of the first set Nadal was more like a spectator than actually playing against Federer. Problem is that he can't stay for long in that zone, unfortunately his body will give him sooner or later a wake up call and the next moment the focus is gone.
The fact that it needs to be done quick and clean doesn't make it any easier mentally. He doesn't have the luxury that Nadal, Djoko and Murray have: "he'll tire before i do"

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed May 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Enough of the petty insults. Just stop.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed May 25, 2011 3:20 pm

So spot on again GP....it's irritating!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by mm15 Wed May 25, 2011 3:25 pm

The mods must open the Fed fan pages, I will post on it when there is a tournament. He is still up there as the record GS winner and top 3 is not bad at all. He is the dark horse this year.....

Am glad there are other fans.... Smile
mm15
mm15

Back to top Go down

Post by mm15 Wed May 25, 2011 3:28 pm

socal1976 wrote:Don't knock the Rafateers they are pretty cool and you have to respect that they support their guy.

They must be having a hard time since the rise of the Djoker and on clay too!!! 1 Wink
mm15
mm15

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed May 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Tenez wrote:So spot on again GP....it's irritating!
as if you never take the words out of my mouth... Hug

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 3:33 pm

History lesson for you now follows.

When V2 1st started and I joined, there was only 3 articles on the tennis boards.

It was lacking in everything apart from desire. The Rafateers from old606 were given a berth here to facilitate the continuation of their threads as a sub forum, so that their society did not intrude on anything in the main Tennis threads.

I believe that they have upheld that and are quite comfortable where they are. So I would ask if they are left to their own devices.

If you want a Federer sub forum, just ask and it shall be done.

The last one only had a handful of posts, so it was shelved until this very kind of thing happens, people want one again. I shall talk to the admins to see what can be done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed May 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Federer is the closest to what we call a genius I have ever seen in sport.

But, like BB, I don't really like to talk of anything else than his tennis.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Wed May 25, 2011 3:40 pm

We are still here for those that are concerned we have left. It just doesn't make the main forum very enticing when we read comments such as the above.

I for one posted on the Fed thread and would do so again if one is set up so go for it guys. There are Rafa fans that like Fed as well you know, it doesn't have to be war thumbsup

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed May 25, 2011 3:42 pm

I think MI5 is probably right....Nadal's recent results may have something to do with the quietness of his fans.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed May 25, 2011 3:55 pm

socal1976 wrote:Don't knock the Rafateers they are pretty cool and you have to respect that they support their guy.

They're ok, but let's be honest the hormones in there can get a bit intense!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed May 25, 2011 4:23 pm

I'd actually love to see a match between Fed and Djoko at Paris, Fed (along with Murray) is probably Nole's biggest fear.

My worry for him is that I dont think Annacone is adding much to his game/strategy, and any tinkering this late on could be counter-productive.
Anyway, he should be good for the semis at least on this form.

Re: Nadal, he set the bar so high last year that Q,F,F,W,W,F,F is now seen as a disaster! He couldnt dominate on clay forever and Nole has always shown he's been close to Nadal in the past on clay, e.g. Madrid 09.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed May 25, 2011 4:32 pm

lydian wrote:Re: Nadal, he set the bar so high last year that Q,F,F,W,W,F,F is now seen as a disaster! He couldnt dominate on clay forever and Nole has always shown he's been close to Nadal in the past on clay, e.g. Madrid 09.

Fed probably tells him "welcome to my World".
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed May 25, 2011 4:39 pm

Indeed BB, its very rarified air at the top of the tree - and only Fed/Nadal truly know what thats like out of the current players. Nole's run is amazing yet until he adds to his slams outside the lowest ranked one it'll mean diddly looking back. Likewise, until Fed and Nadal start losing in R1, R2 of slams they are hardly spent forces as or walking disasters as the media seem to suggest.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed May 25, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi mm15,

I'm not particularly a Fed fan but did start a Fed pub thread when I became a mod......I thought it only right that he had one.....and I wanted to encourage Fed fans to join and start posting.

This was the first post I made to start it

Solerina wrote:Hi there Fed fans,

Thought I'd get the Fed thread started for you with THIS VIDEO
I'm sure you've all seen it many times before.
I hadn't....I've just watched it.......amazing stuff!

Anyway, Fed fans........this is your little part of the forum where you can chat about all things Fed and absolutely anything else!

It's a Fed/pub thread Very Happy

Solerina

The thread didn't take off.....in fact I was heavily critisized by one of our members for starting it.

So, like Jubba says, it was shelved, we will have to think about starting another one.

Must dash......I just wanted you to know that Fed hasn't been intetionally ignored on this site......it's just that his pub thread didn't work out at the time.

Solerina : )

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed May 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Sol, I think the thing is that Fed fans are more concerned about the sport generally whereas fans of other players tend towards being a bit more parochial, so are less likely to inhabit the cossetted world of a fan thread where everyone can discuss their boys favourite colour.

People like Tenez and myself are well known and recognised for always taking the broader view, being less likely to take biased or skewed perspectives, and generally holding the high ground in debates. I for one will continue to bring that to the main boards, and I know the forum can count on Tenez to do the same.

Salutations!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed May 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks BB. Nice words there.

Woudl be good to have plenty more 606er joining here, and again from all sides. You most probably have a better reputation than me over there so I'll let you do the prospecting work! Wink

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Wed May 25, 2011 6:12 pm

FEDERER IS KING!!

Wimbledon '11 is his.

Although his performance have been pretty decent here in Paris, nothing extraodinary, but good performances. A semi-final against Djokovic is likely I think and if he plays at his best, I reckon he can win.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 8:44 pm

OK cheeky chappies, The Feds Head has returned !!!!

Yuo'll find it in the same section as the Player appreciation threads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 11:23 pm

Bogbrush...."People like Tenez and myself are well known and recognised for always taking the broader view, being less likely to take biased or skewed perspectives, and generally holding the high ground in debates. I for one will continue to bring that to the main boards, and I know the forum can count on Tenez to do the same"

Is that not a "parochial" statement of how "shallow" you think the rest of us posters are in comparison to you and Tenez ?

Or did you just drink a barrel of Red Neck ripple wine ?

And since you think it beneath you to "inhabit the cossetted world of a fan thread" you won't be...... "Where is it? I thought it was a disgrace that there's no sticky for the GOAT when he's still #3. Point me to it and I'll post there to keep it open"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Following some of the comments on this thread I would like to remind everyone of the golden rule:

"Treat others as you would want to be treated.”

People can support and discuss anything about a player in their own way, on the main tennis section and in the pub threads.

What I ask of everyone here, is that you have some respect for your fellow posters and not comment with put downs on how they support a certain player. This is a tennis forum for people to follow and support a player in any way they want.

Everyone here is a lover of the sport so please keep that in mind and have some respect for members who are fans of different players.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu May 26, 2011 6:14 am

bogbrush wrote:Sol, I think the thing is that Fed fans are more concerned about the sport generally whereas fans of other players tend towards being a bit more parochial, so are less likely to inhabit the cossetted world of a fan thread where everyone can discuss their boys favourite colour.

People like Tenez and myself are well known and recognised for always taking the broader view, being less likely to take biased or skewed perspectives, and generally holding the high ground in debates. I for one will continue to bring that to the main boards, and I know the forum can count on Tenez to do the same.

Salutations!

Well its nice to know that you Fed fans have such a high opinion of yourselves! I think you guys are peachy keen to. As a Djokovic fan I in fact do not feel that I am parochial in anyway, if you look at my posts i have created threads about Andy, Rafa, Roger, and Novak. Created threads about the game in general. Just be nice to the rafateers they are nice ladies who have a lot of love for certain long haired, tanned, and muscular spaniard; its quite natural. I occasionally breeze through their posts and I find some of it quite amusing, very feminine yes but they come up with some funny stuff.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 am

Agree socal the trouble is that some people cant see past one player.

As far as Federer is concerned they might as well make the most of it as he wont be around much longer - certainly not as a "winning machine".

Would draw the line however when it comes to them undermining other players abilities.

Had enough of that rubbish on the old 606 with the usual suspects!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu May 26, 2011 8:36 am

Yes, sportslover at the very top of the game the margins are very small all these guys can really play. As a fan of tennis, I watched tennis before Djokovic came along and I'll watch after he is gone, and even while he is around I watch other players as well. I have never been a huge rafa or fed fan, but I think both have been incredible champions and credits to the sport.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu May 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Jubbahey wrote:Bogbrush...."People like Tenez and myself are well known and recognised for always taking the broader view, being less likely to take biased or skewed perspectives, and generally holding the high ground in debates. I for one will continue to bring that to the main boards, and I know the forum can count on Tenez to do the same"

Is that not a "parochial" statement of how "shallow" you think the rest of us posters are in comparison to you and Tenez ?

Or did you just drink a barrel of Red Neck ripple wine ?

And since you think it beneath you to "inhabit the cossetted world of a fan thread" you won't be...... "Where is it? I thought it was a disgrace that there's no sticky for the GOAT when he's still #3. Point me to it and I'll post there to keep it open"

Not at all Jub, I have great respect for all posters, my point was only that there are some who are Primus inter Pares.

As for fan threads, whilst I regretted the absence of a Federer one, my view is merely that I think it's inexcusable to habitually withold wisdom from the wider forum.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down