The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

`Embarrassed` Cruden misses flight after all-night drinking session

+9
kiakahaaotearoa
Sgt_Pooly
Cyril
emack2
fa0019
chewed_mintie
disneychilly
Mr Bounce
quinsforever
13 posters

Go down

`Embarrassed` Cruden misses flight after all-night drinking session Empty `Embarrassed` Cruden misses flight after all-night drinking session

Post by quinsforever Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Oh dear. Drinking before long flights seems to be a bit of an issue down under for the "stars". JOC at Perth airport i seem to remember.

Carter would have enjoyed reading about it i imagine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29305871

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

`Embarrassed` Cruden misses flight after all-night drinking session Empty Re: `Embarrassed` Cruden misses flight after all-night drinking session

Post by Mr Bounce Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:09 pm

There does seem to be a bit of a drink issue - whilst Johnson's "Rugby player drinks beer - shocker" quip attempted to quieten the press at RWC2011, there does seem to be a number of high-level players who can't seem to handle the professionalism required by the top teams today. It's not just the down under stars either. Phillips, Henson, Care, Hartley, Ashton, Bastareaud & Tindall are just a few NH names I have pulled out of the hat from the last 3-4 years.

Yes it's a bit of a tradition to have a few jars after a game (or barrels in Leonard's case), but let's not forget that it is a pro game (and has been for many years) and the various Countries' governing bodies would want to avoid as much embarrassment as possible. They would want to make sure that the top players especially will be made examples of...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

`Embarrassed` Cruden misses flight after all-night drinking session Empty Re: `Embarrassed` Cruden misses flight after all-night drinking session

Post by disneychilly Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:25 pm

I understand the free day but I'd be questioning the logic of going on the turps before a flight anyway. You gotta recover from a flight just like you've gotta recover from a hangover.

I did see some bloody funny pics about it online. But I like what the ABs are doing with discipline. We'll help you get back to where you are, and you will be considered for selection once you're there, but for the immediate future you can p*ss off.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:42 pm

Bit of a non-event really and dealt with by team management superbly. When you consider what Cruden has been through in life as a person (he still wears his patient wristband as a reminder apparently), I think it’s quite remarkable that this kid has managed it all so far and I’d still consider him to be a pretty sensible character all up.

From a team perspective, something like this a few years back would make me nervous but now I get excited by these challenges that we have to deal with. I like it when we have injuries and disruptions because it places pressure on the next cab off the rank and should they perform, the person who they replaced too. Just makes the AB environment even more cut throat. The players seem to be thriving in this environment too – clearly, looking at the results.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:54 am

I'm the same Mintie-I'm excited about Barrett starting.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:22 am

I'm surprised he was the only one... they were away with the team right and their original flight was delayed by a day so they went out for dinner and one thing lead to another.

The fact that no one looked out for him either in the evening or the next day when he was supposed to be going to Argentina is a little odd.

Not suggesting that their is a lack of team spirit but your teammates shouldn't let things like this happen to loan individuals. Groups I understand but how did he miss the flight completely when he was away with the team???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:27 am

There was no Team Curfew,so just one of those things,superbly handled by both management and player.Just hope the parallel of 1935-6 England match no repeated
Obolensky`s marker dropped for curfew miss,rest History.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:36 am

It's no big deal, but I'm not sure how it was 'superbly handled' by Cruden. Unless you count saying 'sorry' through his agent as anything other than the least he could do.

I'm sure he won't do it again though.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:49 am

How has this been "managed superbly" by the management & player?

Player gets drunk, player gets dropped, player says sorry.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:16 am

You can bet that it was a longer conversation than Cruds just saying sorry. He will have been dragged over the coals, told not to do it again and has been punished by not going to the ultimate destination for an AB and risks letting a player in good nick get more experience at starting a test.

Dealt with privately but the decision made public. Handled superbly is pushing it but handled well isn't overstating it.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:11 am

This was the statement he made:

“On Saturday night, whilst out for an informal dinner in Auckland, I made a poor decision regarding the limits of my alcohol intake.

“This has resulted in the unacceptable action of me being absent from All Blacks assembly on Sunday morning and thus missing the team flight to Argentina,” he said.

“I am deeply embarrassed by this lack of judgement and have never been more disappointed in myself. I have not only let myself down, but most importantly, I have let my team down.

“I carry the burden of shame and disappointment and I am deeply apologetic to my team, to my family, and also the New Zealand public.

“I have no excuses. I have been working really hard over the past few years at gaining respect on the field as well as off the field and am devastated I have dropped my own high personal standards, as well as the standards set by New Zealand Rugby.

“I accept full responsibility for my actions and the penalty of missing the next two games, and I will work with New Zealand Rugby to undertake any other disciplinary action to work through this situation.”

It's a mistake and he's owned up to it, it's been dealt with quickly and the sanction was fair, and all will be forgiven for Brisbane.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:40 am

The other thing is he's been under a lot of pressure for his position for a long time now with DC intermittently injured, and only just keeping his head above water with Barrett favoured by many as well so perhaps a blowout was on the cards. Just a pity he couldnt manage it well enough to make the flight.  

So other than the disgrace perhaps a clearing out of the head cobwebs and he'll now refocus on whats important. Perhaps we'll get a better performing Cruden between now and World cup time so if it was going to happen...better now than later.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:00 pm

I think superbly managed would be getting him on the plane rather than waiting at the gate like a tool for a guy to make a no show. Players make mistakes sure but whilst the coaching staff shouldn't have to treat their players like kids.... there is a fine line between giving them complete control of their free time when with the squad and getting egg on your face.

Its always the same type of player I'm afraid too

Cooper
O'Connor
Guildford
Beale

Young, superbly talented, lots of caps and praise from a very young age.

The senior staff and players should be making sure chaps like this don't get close to the line, don't let their ego rise too high. That's part of their job.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:19 pm

What has Cruden done previously to warrant such suspicion? He made an error of judgement and he paid the price. He won't be looking forward to joining up with his team mates but let's not treat all players like children just because of a few incidents.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:26 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:What has Cruden done previously to warrant such suspicion? He made an error of judgement and he paid the price. He won't be looking forward to joining up with his team mates but let's not treat all players like children just because of a few incidents.

not suggesting he had to be tucked up in bed before 10 kia.... but rather management/senior players should also take responsibility of their youngsters.

I recall an old war story of an RSM chatting to his boys before they went out on the lash abroad. Said that if anyone was hospitalised and their mates weren't in the bed next to them that the RSM would personally put them there. Teammates should be looking out for each other, especially when out on company time.

Everyone makes mistakes time and again, everyone drinks too much. Yes Cruden was at fault but all I say is that I'm a little surprised how it was allowed to get that far in the first place, not him going out nor how much he was drinking but rather management and the players should be looking out for their guys.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Lack of precedent. I'm sure they'll be monitoring him now.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Lack of precedent. I'm sure they'll be monitoring him now.

You know I reckon it was in all probability a one off rather than a Zac Guildford initial realisation that something was wrong.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:16 am

I don't think it was a norm Hewett, zac Guildford case. My understanding that this issue is not alcohol related. It may have contributed to what happened but that's not the root problem, if you catch my drift.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:29 am

yeah I don't see this in the Guilford, Hewitt league. Crudens just looks like he didn't wake up in time after a night out that thousands might have had the same night. Guilford and Hewitt had serious alcohol issues and a history.

Cruden's never done anything like this before, and nothing other than not getting to the plane on time happened. JOC was evicted from an airport, Cooper was caught stealing, Guilford walked into bar bloodied and naked, Hewitt went through a glass window of a stranger.

This one is more about an embarrassment and unfortunate episode, one less likely to be repeated. Crudens fight with cancer suggests he's made of sterner stuff and will come back from this. He's a tough cookie mentally, so likely a one off.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:13 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I don't think it was a norm Hewett, zac Guildford case. My understanding that this issue is not alcohol related. It may have contributed to what happened but that's not the root problem, if you catch my drift.

Yes Kia, You're on to it.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:48 am

Too busy putting out fires to fly eh.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:41 pm

I've a feeling this would be making more headway had Cruden been a bit more Welsh.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Well if he'd driven a golf cart from the hotel to the airport in a race against the team bus...

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:56 pm

That would have been funny.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:09 pm

With a dead person as someone had introduced him to the cinematic delights of a Weekend's at Bernie's.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:32 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I don't think it was a norm Hewett, zac Guildford case. My understanding that this issue is not alcohol related. It may have contributed to what happened but that's not the root problem, if you catch my drift.

So being our Auckland representative on things on the dark side, do tell Laurie ...even a PM would suffice...Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:18 am

T/man check the mailbox.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Taylorman wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

So being our Auckland representative on things on the dark side, do tell Laurie ...even a PM would suffice...Whistle

Ah, let me guess. He was engaged in a S&M session with a certain 'Miss Whiplash'. She was the one that got drunk and staggered out of the hotel room in the morning and forgot to untie Cruden from the bed, whilst also leaving the gaffer tape over his mouth - meaning he was unable to cry out for help.

Wink

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Hey Laurie you mind filling up my inbox too? Very Happy

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:20 pm

That sounded really bad considering the possible context of Cruden's indiscretion. Apologies...

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:10 am

You almost had a root problem there DC. Given the innuendo surrounding the incident I'm surprised it's been put to bed so easily. Any chance of a PM to Laurie? Just for peace of mind Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:05 am

At least Beale made it onto the plane before acting up-maybe he was a little less "relaxed" than Cruden... Very Happy

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down