The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will there be a night session at Wimbledon this year?

+2
Simple_Analyst
ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN
6 posters

Go down

Will there be a night session at Wimbledon this year? Empty Will there be a night session at Wimbledon this year?

Post by ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

Now that Wimbledon has a roof and floodlights will they follow the likes of Melbourne and New York and have an evening session on centre Court??

I think it would be excellent. Have the sesssion start at 7 or 7.30, a ladies match followed by a mens match and the atmosphere would be electric. People who cannot go during the day will be given the opportunity to go.

Its foward and I think it will be good for Wimbledon to have a night session.

Last edited by ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN

Back to top Go down

Will there be a night session at Wimbledon this year? Empty Re: Will there be a night session at Wimbledon this year?

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

They would have mentioned it a long time ago. On cc, they'll play into the night under the roof if necessary but there will be no schedule night sessions.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Will there be a night session at Wimbledon this year? Empty Re: Will there be a night session at Wimbledon this year?

Post by yummymummy Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:04 am

I don't think that the SW19 residents would take kindly
to a permanent night session Whistle

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:08 am

A big fat NO to scheduled night sessions. Call me old-fashioned ... but this is Wimbledon!! More tradition and less razzamatazz.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:16 am

I just think that the grass indoors at night with persisitant play would destroy the surface within 2 days. I would say no purely based on that really.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:20 pm

I think a night session would be great, although I believe they're not allowed to play beyond 11pm due to local council restrictions?

Still, would be great if they had a few night sessions, especially in the second week. There's also some great reasons for it:

a) Allows more people who would usually be unable to get the time off to come during the evening, so a more diverse range of people (beyond the middle and upper classes who can get the time off)
b) At the same time, you allow a bigger audience to watch the matches which can only be a good thing, in fact, I can't see much wrong with pushing the final itself to 4pm let's say, that way you get the early evening viewers (especially for an epic, which would be great!)
c) A wider audience would also make it easier for Wimbledon to remain on the protected listing of sports events (it's on the list till 2014, when it gets reviewed). As it stands, with all the public sector cuts, would Wimbledon still remain on the list? The Ashes didn't so we can't be complacent.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down