The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

who is going to Wimbledon this year?

+8
daraghj82
dummy_half
superochog
Tenez
noleisthebest
socal1976
Wooffie
steveo77
12 posters

Go down

who is going to Wimbledon this year? Empty who is going to Wimbledon this year?

Post by steveo77 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:12 am

morning everyone, 1 hour to go to the best tournament in the world.

so who will actually be going to the tennis this year? I always try and go on the 2nd Monday when there is the best days tennis in any grand slam. In the queue by 7am usually works! Erm

steveo77

Back to top Go down

who is going to Wimbledon this year? Empty Re: who is going to Wimbledon this year?

Post by Wooffie Mon 20 Jun 2011, 12:38 pm

I've got tickets for No. 1 court on Friday and will be going with Rafan. So looking forward to it. thumbsup
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

who is going to Wimbledon this year? Empty Re: who is going to Wimbledon this year?

Post by socal1976 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

Is it possible Steve, to get tickets via the internet like other tournaments or is the demand just too high?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Mon 20 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

Well socal ... its mostly done through the ballot as I'm sure you know and you don't buy over the internet, say like you can for the FO and USO.

However ... I believe that if you are patient enough and lucky enough, every night before the next day's play there are tickets to be had on Ticketmaster, so its worth a shot if anyone's interested. A couple of my friends have done this and got Centre Court.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:02 pm

Wow, Wooffie that is tough, shows how widely loved the event is. If it was me I would just pay double or triple for tickets to a scalper, I am neither that ethical or that patient.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:06 pm

I'll try and get there on Saturday morning, no tickets...what are my chances?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I'll try and get there on Saturday morning, no tickets...what are my chances?

slim!

You'd increase your chance by going during the week.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by steveo77 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:52 pm

noleisthebest

you are guaranteed to get a ticket to enter the grounds I reckon if you get in the queue before 8am. Midweek you could probably get there a bit later.

you can then purchase a centre court ticket for £5 later in the day from the resale point.

This is MUCH better than the French Open which does not allow this.

steveo77

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:01 pm

steveo77 wrote:noleisthebest

you are guaranteed to get a ticket to enter the grounds I reckon if you get in the queue before 8am. Midweek you could probably get there a bit later.

you can then purchase a centre court ticket for £5 later in the day from the resale point.

What about if I'm there at 10?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by superochog Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

I got tickets through ballot box for Wed court 1. I want Center court Doh
I am camping on Monday to get a ticket for Tuesday angel

superochog

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:03 pm

I really don't fancy camping there, That would have to be one very early start for me, then Shocked I'll think abou it....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by superochog Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

I am camping alone, so if anyone would like to join please let me know. Hug

superochog

Back to top Go down

Post by steveo77 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:09 pm

noleisthebest

10am I dont know. I think you are taking a bit of a risk going that late. once they sell the allocation of tickets thats it until people start wandering out about 5pm

steveo77

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

I notice no-one has attempted to predict the winner of the ladies singles...

On the men's side, I think Fed is a slight favourite ahead of Rafa because of the relative difficulties of their draws prior to the SFs (other than the draw, I had them level).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by steveo77 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:57 pm

dummy half,

doesnt matter what draw Rafa has got - he will come through it.
I make him a huge favourite.

on the ladies side I will go for Sharapova. Serena will come through the first week but is unlikely to go right through a slam after a year out.

steveo77

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:00 pm

i think roger will win , i think we could be in line for another great battle between him and rafa

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:14 pm

It's clearly between Kunitsyn and Fish.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

Sorry ... but this thread is about who is going TO Wimbledon, not who's going to win it.

I understand it to be a place to swop tips and stories, etc. thumbsup
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

Ah ye, read it wrong there sorry.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

Sorry - must learn to read the thread titles a bit better.

(My excuse it there have been so many threads already titles 'Who is gong to win Wimbledon', I just assumed this was a better-timed one).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 8:42 pm

steveo77 wrote:noleisthebest

I am going on Thursday...where is this resale point you speak of? Last year we managed to blag our way onto centre court for the last match of the day (Djokovic v Rochus)

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by steveo77 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:11 pm

the resale ticket point is next to court 18 and the big hill where you can watch on the big screen

by the way I decided to go last night, turned up just before 6pm, no queue and could buy a centre court ticket when i went through the gates for a reduced price of £25. A bargain to see the Murray match thumbsup

steveo77

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:15 pm

Well done!! Good for you! Ticketmaster were listing matches last night as well for anyone who can't just get up to the Club. thumbsup
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 7:13 pm

steveo77 wrote:the resale ticket point is next to court 18 and the big hill where you can watch on the big screen

by the way I decided to go last night, turned up just before 6pm, no queue and could buy a centre court ticket when i went through the gates for a reduced price of £25. A bargain to see the Murray match thumbsup

Thanks for the info. Hopefully will come in handy.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

So disappointed. I've got tickets for court 1 tomorrow. I was sure Murray would be put on centre and thought we had a chance to see Nadal but they've put Murray on court 1...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

Hawkeye,
shall I bother going on Saturday, and do I really have to be there before 8 AM to stand any chance Shocked

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

noleisthebest

The answer to both your questions is probably yes!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

Oh, no! I'll see how I feel at 6AM on Saturday then Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 23 Jun 2011, 4:29 pm

hawkeye wrote:So disappointed. I've got tickets for court 1 tomorrow. I was sure Murray would be put on centre and thought we had a chance to see Nadal but they've put Murray on court 1...

As I knew I would be watching Murray on court 1 thought I'd record the Nadal match so at least I'd be able to flick through it when I got home. Just to be on the safe side recorded both BBC 1 and BBC 2. Just checked no Nadal match. The Murray match was been shown on both channels!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Thickfreakness Thu 23 Jun 2011, 5:02 pm

I went to Wimbledon once. It was the sun-dappled, sepia-tinged summer of 1992. John Major had just swept to power in an election dubbed the "cream tea revolution" and grouchy, neurotic middle England had responded by becoming temporarily at ease with itself. Tim Henman had unexpectedly not surfed the new niceness agenda all the way to Wimbledon glory but John McEnroe, long past his peak, had had a romantic run to the singles semis and unexpectedly reached the doubles final with some German bloke and it was expected to be his Grand Slam swansong. I was living in that London in those days and had learned that for obscure logistical reasons it was being played on a different court at the same time as the mens final and folk could just come in and watch it for free. I jumped on my horse (I'd taken to riding a horse around the city in those days to combat the awful traffic) and high-stepped my way down to wherever Wimbledon is.

Even though entry was indeed free my girlfriend at the time - a minor Danish royal/PR woman - was a rather exhibitionist dresser and both she and the horse were refused access. I went in and sent her off to tether the horse to a tree or something and buy herself a more demure outfit. Now I come to think of it, I never saw either of them again.

Once inside - and befitting that nihilistic phase of my life - I did a whirlwind stomp on every conceivable Wimbledon tradition. I pounded a punnet of strawberries with a wooden mallet, threw some Pimms over a statue of Fred Perry, booed some pensioners playing really poorly on an outside court, removed an unattended child in a buggy to a place of safety in an umpires chair, bound up an inattentive ballboy in a rolled-up net, conducted a vox pop radio interview in Muppet Swedish, poked out my tongue and winked lavisciously at the Duchess of Kent.

Then in I went to watch the match. Much as I love McEnroe for his subtle skills, his volcanic temper, his passion and his guile it wasn't enough to disguise the fact that tennis is unwatchably tedious and the match went on forever. I apologise for getting technical but a bloke would hit the ball over the net, another would hit it back over the net, the first bloke or maybe his partner would hit it back over the net again, then one of the others would hit it back over the net and this would go on and on and on until a bird would fly somewhere and distract me or some wind would blow up a ballgirl's skirt.

I stunned a concession stand server by buying a full bottle of gin for a very giddy price, swigged at it neat and eventually passed out. Somebody won and I've never been back.

Thickfreakness

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down