The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED)

+31
GavinDragon
fa0019
whocares
Bluedragon
maestegmafia
The Saint
No9
TBJ9625
HammerofThunor
quinsforever
TobyBryant
Welly
wales606
irnbrew
Jhamer25
nathan
BigTrevsbigmac
ScarletSpiderman
glamorganalun
jimmyinthewell68
Higher_Ground
funnyExiledScot
aucklandlaurie
wayne
lostinwales
Seagultaf
bedfordwelsh
Biltong
bluestonevedder
LordDowlais
disneychilly
35 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED) Empty My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED)

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:16 pm

I'm picking my current Wales 23 based on form, though I accept it is maybe too soon because we still have the European rugby cup to be played.

15. Liam Williams
14. Hallam Amos
13. Cory Allen
12. Scott Williams
11. George North
10. Dan Biggar

9. Rhys Webb

8. Dan Baker
7. Sam Warburton
6. Taulupe Faletau
5. AWJ (c)
4. Ball
3. Lee
2. Hibbard
1. Jenkins

Reps: Baldwin, James, A.Jones, Charteris/Davies/Evans, Navidi/Tipuric, G.Davies, Patchell, J.Davies.

Not sure who is injured atm, so have included a few options. The rest of the squad though will be the usual. I also think Cuthbert will be picked on the other wing, but he is in some bad form right now, hence being left out of my squad.

Feel free to add and pick apart. We've a few weeks yet.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Forwards:
Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Nicky Smith, Aaron Jarvis, Rhodri Jones, Samson Lee, Scott Baldwin, Richard Hibbard, Emyr Phillips, Jake Ball, AWJ, Luke Charteris, Bradley Davies, James King, Dan Lydiate, Justin Tipuric, Sam Warburton (c), Dan Baker, Taulupe Faletau.

Backs:
Mike Phillips, Rhys Webb, Rhodri Williams, Dan Biggar, Rhys Priestland, Cory Allen, JD2, JAmie Roberts, Scott Williams, Hallam Amos, Alex Cuthbert, George North, Tom Prydie, Leigh Halfpenny, Liam Williams.

No Adam Jones, Rhys Patchell, James Hook. Nicky Thomas is the only new face.

Last edited by The Saint on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:14 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)

The Saint

Back to top Go down

My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED) Empty Re: My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED)

Post by disneychilly Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:26 pm

You guys gotten your tickets in the post yet?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED) Empty Re: My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED)

Post by LordDowlais Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:30 pm

Taulupe Faletau at 6, I cannot see it. Is this the team you would like, or is it the team you think Gatland will go for ?

This is the team I would Like:-

15. Liam Williams
14. Eli Walker
13. John Davies
12. Scott Williams
11. George North
10. Dan Biggar

9. Rhys Webb

8.Taulupe Faletau
7.Justin Tipuric
6.Dan Lydiate/Sam Warburton
5.AWJ
4.Luke Charteris
3.Samson Lee
2.Hibbard
1.Nick Smith

Gatlands probable team:-

15.Leigh Halfpenny
14.Alex Cuthbert
13.John Davies
12.Jamie Roberts
11.George North
10.Rhys Priestland

9.Mike Phillips

8.Taulupe Faletau
7.Sam Warburton
6.Dan Lydiate
5.AWJ
4.Bradley Davies (If he is not injured)
3.Adam Jones
2.Hibbard
1.Gethin Jenkins

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:35 pm

disneychilly wrote:You guys gotten your tickets in the post yet?

Those who bought them will have by now.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:36 pm

LD, it's my team. I didn't include Walker or Tips because they're both injured right now. The back-row is the area most up for debate I guess. I think Charteris is injured too.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:36 pm

I was expecting to see Gareth Davies starting a 9 to be honest. Always seems to be on the score sheet multiple times. Webb must be playing exceptionally well!

Dan Baker at 8 is a great shout.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:38 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:I was expecting to see Gareth Davies starting a 9 to be honest. Always seems to be on the score sheet multiple times. Webb must be playing exceptionally well!

Gareth davies at 9 is a good shout, but I would prefere the Biggar/Webb partnership that has been pulling up trees in the Pro12. Dan Baker for a bench spot though.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:39 pm

The Saint wrote:LD, it's my team. I didn't include Walker or Tips because they're both injured right now. The back-row is the area most up for debate I guess. I think Charteris is injured too.

Tips and Walker are back for this weekend I think.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:41 pm

What team will we have for South Africa, it is outside the IRB window, does anybody know if any deals have been struck to keep our exiles ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:49 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:I was expecting to see Gareth Davies starting a 9 to be honest. Always seems to be on the score sheet multiple times. Webb must be playing exceptionally well!

I would be too. Webb is playing very well and his double act with Biggar should see Gats go for this option, I agree with it tbh. What I wouldn't agree with is Priestland being in the 23 ahead of what we have.

LD, Unless a deal has been struck where we send England/France players back for the Fiji game, we'll have to go without. It'll be hard to a deal with the greedy PRL. They issued Northampton a fine for releasing North last year.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 08 Oct 2014, 5:01 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Gareth davies at 9 is a good shout, but I would prefere the Biggar/Webb partnership that has been pulling up trees in the Pro12. Dan Baker for a bench spot though.

Fair point. Probably better to go with the club consistency rather than a new partnership. Davies is a heck of a bench option though. The little scamp. If he makes the 23, I'm excited to see what he can do. Similarly with Baker.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 5:11 pm

Davies is potentially the best No.9 Wales have produced since Edwards. I've never seen him put a foot wrong a club level. His exclusion from national honours for so long is inexcusable.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 08 Oct 2014, 5:14 pm

You'd start Davies and Biggar, Saints?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 7:34 pm

It's tempting, but it's probably a safer option to start with Webb and Biggar with Davies on bench. I don't want to be too safe though, that would see us revert back to the usual players who look well out of their depth in the Top 14.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 08 Oct 2014, 7:49 pm

What happened to Cuthbert?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 08 Oct 2014, 8:33 pm

Is Cuthberts form really that bad at the moment, his defence is always bad but then again so is St Georges the untouchable, that said he is in good form and I also like the inclusion of Amos who has had very good start to the season.

Mine for the Oz game would be

Jenkins
Hibbard
A Jones
AWJ
Ball
Lydiate
Faletau
Warburton

Webb
Biggar

North
JD
Sc Williams
Amos

Li Williams

For the Fiji game I would like to see some of the youngsters like have a run but then for the ABs game I would like to see us pick the team that is likely to start against the Boks as we won't have our exiles then so:

ABs & Boks

Jenkins
Baldwin
Lee
AWJ
Ball
Warburton
Faletau
Tipuric

Webb
Biggar

North (he has full release clause)
Allen
Sc Williams
Amos

Li Williams

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 08 Oct 2014, 8:45 pm

Amos is a fantastic player who will have a long career playing for Wales, but I am not sure he has the pace for wing at test level? Maybe his future will be at 15 or even 13?

Lots of people are picking AWJ at 5, whilst he is Wales best forward (maybe even best player and should be captain) he does not look comfortable as the main lineout target at test level. With Evans having dropped down a level, Wales badly needs a fit Charteris to play 5, with Ball on the bench.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 08 Oct 2014, 8:52 pm

Sea,

Fair point on AWJ but we won't have Charteris for the Boks game anyway, I really feel now that Gatland whilst shouldn't refuse to pick the exiles he needs to send out a strong warning, for the future if nothing else.

By picking a team to face the ABs from Welsh based players only plus North then to me that's senidng out a pretty strong message.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:09 pm

There's no way St George's tackling is pathetic like you make out Bedford, he's a solid defender. Cuthbert will likely be on the other wing, but he really needs to do something in that Blues shirt.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:19 pm

The Saint wrote:
disneychilly wrote:You guys gotten your tickets in the post yet?

Those who bought them will have by now.

I'm one of them though Saint-maybe taking a bit longer to get to Eire.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:36 am

Andy Howell's XV: L. Williams, Cuthbert, J.Davies, Roberts, North, Biggar, Phillips, Faletau, Tipuric, Warburton (c), Evans, AWJ, Lee, Hibbard, Jenkins.

Too same ol, same ol for me. The team requires more change.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:39 am

Rest of the squad (my pick): Pitman, Cudd, Lydiate, Ian Evans, E. Phillips, Roberts, Henson, Priestland, M. Phillips, Cuthbert, Dan Evans (wildcard).

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:47 am

The Saint wrote:

I would be too. Webb is playing very well and his double act with Biggar should see Gats go for this option, I agree with it tbh. What I wouldn't agree with is Priestland being in the 23 ahead of what we have.

LD, Unless a deal has been struck where we send England/France players back for the Fiji game, we'll have to go without. It'll be hard to a deal with the greedy PRL. They issued Northampton a fine for releasing North last year.

Sorry to raise this as its been done to death in the past, but the PRL are not the ones organising an extra international outside of the agreed window. In this case the greedy guys are west of the Severn

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:55 am

They are greedy though. Everything they do is money focused and they lack concern for the good of the game (they even want compensation during the RWC [headscratch]). This factual point has also been done to death. There are no greedy guys west of the severn apart from one individual. Everything our union does is to ensure survival which is difficult when you have less resources than most.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 09 Oct 2014, 1:37 pm

The Saint wrote:There's no way St George's tackling is pathetic like you make out Bedford, he's a solid defender. Cuthbert will likely be on the other wing, but he really needs to do something in that Blues shirt.

His tackling is dire as proved in the last test against SA.

I hope Evans doesn't get the nod ahead of Ball.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 09 Oct 2014, 2:34 pm

lostinwales wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Sorry to raise this as its been done to death in the past, but the PRL are not the ones organising an extra international outside of the agreed window. In this case the greedy guys are west of the Severn

lost,

I agree with you its not the PRL its the gredy bar stewards at the WRU, North is the only one with a full release clause so I guess Saints will be facing another fine if he plays against the Boks.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm

Thought Saints couldn't be fined for it again. Wasn't that why they got fined so much?

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 09 Oct 2014, 4:46 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Thought Saints couldn't be fined for it again. Wasn't that why they got fined so much?

A fair one Rev wasn't aware of that.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 09 Oct 2014, 5:27 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:Thought Saints couldn't be fined for it again. Wasn't that why they got fined so much?

I don't know if that is right, they couldn't be fined twice for the same season, I dont know if they can be fined in successive seasons? haven't seen that quoted.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 09 Oct 2014, 7:02 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
The Saint wrote:There's no way St George's tackling is pathetic like you make out Bedford, he's a solid defender. Cuthbert will likely be on the other wing, but he really needs to do something in that Blues shirt.

You sure you aren't thinking about Cuthbert in the first test?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 09 Oct 2014, 7:55 pm

The Saint wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

You sure you aren't thinking about Cuthbert in the first test?

Nope am thinking about North in the last test the one where Li Williams got slated for throwing his body on the line but St George got off scott free from criticism even though it was his feeble tackle Williams was covering
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 09 Oct 2014, 8:51 pm

They had an overlap. Anyway, it seems a few plus Andy Howells are basing players form on a test from months ago. I'd rather it based on the here and now.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Oct 2014, 11:06 pm

wayne wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

I don't know if that is right, they couldn't be fined twice for the same season, I dont know if they can be fined in successive seasons? haven't seen that quoted.

I'm only basing it on what I vaguely remember seeing on here, so we'll have to wait and see I guess. I certainly don't have the patience to search it on here or google Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 10 Oct 2014, 12:16 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
wayne wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

I'm only basing it on what I vaguely remember seeing on here, so we'll have to wait and see I guess. I certainly don't have the patience to search it on here or google Wink
Not arguing on this one Rev, I just don't remember seeing this anywhere, What I'm getting at is the fact that Northampton were fined by the PRL once, if it is the only time they will get fined is it much a deterrent to these clubs signing the top welsh players in the future? I don't think so, If he is selected and stays for the Non IRB sanctioned match, I expect Northampton to be fined again.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 10 Oct 2014, 12:54 pm

The Saint wrote:They had an overlap. Anyway, it seems a few plus Andy Howells are basing players form on a test from months ago. I'd rather it based on the here and now.

It was a one on one tackle that North missed and he should have nailed it.

I said earlier on in the thread that I know he is in good form for the Saints and I would also like to see a different approach from bulk on both wings and yes Cuthbert would be the most likely one to make way for lets say Amos but for me Norths defence is still very bad and no worse or better than Cuthberts, he just seems above criticism for some reason at the moment.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 10 Oct 2014, 8:09 pm

I think you're being harsh. Cuthbert could never put in some of the hits that St George has. Anyway, Scott and Liam Williams looking good thus far for Scarlets this evening. Just reinforces my selections really. Halfpenny should have first game...tonight? I think he's on the Toulon bench.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 10 Oct 2014, 8:26 pm

Saint,

We are in agreement in the main, Faletau still our best 8 at the moment but if Baker gets the nod then I don't think putting Taulupe at 6 would benefit. I would rather put Warburton there and then another natural 7 openside.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 12 Oct 2014, 8:23 pm

Webb has to start at 9 he's simply way ahead of others at the moment.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 12 Oct 2014, 9:32 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Webb has to start at 9 he's simply way ahead of others at the moment.
BW, I agree, him Biggar and Evans IMO totally out kicked the Blues today allowing us to play in the right areas of the field and continually pressurising them into mistakes
BW also why did you allow Evans to go at 25 and you sign Byrne who is what 34, if you had kept Evans as well I could have understood, no wonder we jumped in when you didn't offer him a new contract, he is a class player IMO.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 12 Oct 2014, 10:16 pm

wayne wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Webb has to start at 9 he's simply way ahead of others at the moment.
BW, I agree, him Biggar and Evans IMO totally out kicked the Blues today allowing us to play in the right areas of the field and continually pressurising them into mistakes
BW also why did you allow Evans to go at 25 and you sign Byrne who is what 34, if you had kept Evans as well I could have understood, no wonder we jumped in when you didn't offer him a new contract, he is a class player IMO.

He is a good player, and he's in my Wales squad too if you scroll up. He was definitely one of our best players for a while, but in the last couple months for us he was badly off form. We also had Amos and Prydie who could play wing and full-back. All of this is probably why he didn't get a contract renewal. Byrne was more of a marquee signing I guess.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Oct 2014, 10:34 pm

We signed Byrne, as we needed experience and we were planning on Hallam Amos being our fifteen when Byrne isn't available. Dan Evans is a good player, but is also prone to making a few howlers that cost us a couple of tries.

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 13 Oct 2014, 4:57 am

Wales might be able to draw on the services of a former age group International prop, who may be free from other committments over the next few months, I believe he lives in the Wigan area.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 13 Oct 2014, 11:48 am

Halfpenny was alright on his debut for Toulon, nothing special. I'd still have Liam Williams at 15. If Halfpenny starts to play better there may be a spot for him on the wing or bench.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Oct 2014, 12:22 pm

The Saint wrote:Halfpenny was alright on his debut for Toulon, nothing special. I'd still have Liam Williams at 15. If Halfpenny starts to play better there may be a spot for him on the wing or bench.

Liam Williams is twice the fulback than Halfpenny is, if Gatland wants Halfpenny in for his kicking, then put him on the wing instead of Cuthbert, anyway, we have Biggar who is just as good at kicking goals now, so Halfpenny might have to put up with being on the bench for a while.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Oct 2014, 1:18 pm

I'd probably leave out the French based players because I don't know how they're doing or if they've had a lot of game time. Though this is a relatively inexperienced side, I dont believe our starting test players are in good enough form to warrant selection.

1. James
2. Hibbard
3. Lee
4. AWJ
5. Cook
6. Warburton
7. Tipuric
8. Baker
9. Webb
10. Biggar
11. North
12. S Williams
13. C Allen
14. Cuthbert
15. Williams

16. Smith
17. E Phillips
18. R Jones
19. Ball
20. Faletau
21. G Davies
22. Patchell
23. Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:02 pm

Cook and Cuthbert in the starting team are howlers if I'm honest... But yeah, I'd leave out most/all of the French based players too.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:18 pm

A fair few new faces being proposed which would be out of character for Mr Gatland. Form or no form, I'd be very surprised if Gatland didn't put North and Cuthbert on his wings, and Lydiate, Warburton and Faletau in the back row.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Oct 2014, 3:18 pm

Would it surprise anyone if we have a whole batch of new faces in the world cup squad? Seemed that way last time round.

I dont think we should be afraid of dropping players who are not performing. But I still guess Jenkins, Adam Jones and others will find their way into the autumn squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 13 Oct 2014, 3:44 pm

wanted to wait until the first block of matches of the Guinness to give my input of the players to be selected for the AI, I'm selecting 2 teams and the normally selected extra 8 for the benches
15 Halfpenny, Williams
14 North, Amos
13 Davies Allen
12 Roberts Williams
11 Cuthbert Walker
10 Biggar, Patchell, Priestland
9 Webb, Davies, Phillips
Other backs Hook, we need another centre with Roberts, Davies and Hook not available for SA
1 James, Jenkins, Smith
2 Hibbard, Baldwin, (Phillips) if Owens is not available
3 Lee, Jones, Jarvis
4 Jones, Ball
5 Charteris, Evans Coombs
6 Lydiate, Turnball
7 WRUBurton, Tipuric
8 Faletau, Baker
We need another back row cover, this will not go down very well with some on here, but I would have James King because of his versatility. Can I also add it has been mentioned on here that you have to pick on form against teams like Zebre and Treviso, yet cannot go back to the Summer Tests against South Africa is preposterous.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 13 Oct 2014, 9:02 pm

Said few times now that with the exception of North who has full release clause then against the ABs we should only play players who will be available against the Boks.

Use the exiles for the Oz and Fiji game.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next