The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED)

+31
GavinDragon
fa0019
whocares
Bluedragon
maestegmafia
The Saint
No9
TBJ9625
HammerofThunor
quinsforever
TobyBryant
Welly
wales606
irnbrew
Jhamer25
nathan
BigTrevsbigmac
ScarletSpiderman
glamorganalun
jimmyinthewell68
Higher_Ground
funnyExiledScot
aucklandlaurie
wayne
lostinwales
Seagultaf
bedfordwelsh
Biltong
bluestonevedder
LordDowlais
disneychilly
35 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED) - Page 2 Empty My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED)

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm picking my current Wales 23 based on form, though I accept it is maybe too soon because we still have the European rugby cup to be played.

15. Liam Williams
14. Hallam Amos
13. Cory Allen
12. Scott Williams
11. George North
10. Dan Biggar

9. Rhys Webb

8. Dan Baker
7. Sam Warburton
6. Taulupe Faletau
5. AWJ (c)
4. Ball
3. Lee
2. Hibbard
1. Jenkins

Reps: Baldwin, James, A.Jones, Charteris/Davies/Evans, Navidi/Tipuric, G.Davies, Patchell, J.Davies.

Not sure who is injured atm, so have included a few options. The rest of the squad though will be the usual. I also think Cuthbert will be picked on the other wing, but he is in some bad form right now, hence being left out of my squad.

Feel free to add and pick apart. We've a few weeks yet.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Forwards:
Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Nicky Smith, Aaron Jarvis, Rhodri Jones, Samson Lee, Scott Baldwin, Richard Hibbard, Emyr Phillips, Jake Ball, AWJ, Luke Charteris, Bradley Davies, James King, Dan Lydiate, Justin Tipuric, Sam Warburton (c), Dan Baker, Taulupe Faletau.

Backs:
Mike Phillips, Rhys Webb, Rhodri Williams, Dan Biggar, Rhys Priestland, Cory Allen, JD2, JAmie Roberts, Scott Williams, Hallam Amos, Alex Cuthbert, George North, Tom Prydie, Leigh Halfpenny, Liam Williams.

No Adam Jones, Rhys Patchell, James Hook. Nicky Thomas is the only new face.

Last edited by The Saint on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:14 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)

The Saint

Back to top Go down

My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED) - Page 2 Empty Re: My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED)

Post by Higher_Ground Mon 13 Oct 2014, 9:52 pm

Wayne, James King gets my vote every time.  He's done a superb job playing out of position this season, and offers a lot more than Lydiate at this stage.

Cuthbert is a great finisher, but the Blues haven't given him any opportunity so far this season, and for a tall man, he remains comically bad under the high ball.  Which is something he can improve, so that's not too bad.

Fullbacks for me, need to be able to hit the line, with great pace, and timing.  Think Lee Byrne, Kevin Morgan etc.
For me, Halfpenny is as solid as you like, but isn't enough of a threat going forward, I think it's because he's a winger deep down.  His goal kicking isn't required with Biggar on the pitch either, so in my mind he drops to the bench.

Gatland will pick the usual side, regardless, but I would go for:

15.  Liam Williams
14.  Eli Walker
13.  Jonathan Davies
12.  Scott Williams
11.  George North
10.  Dan Biggar
09.  Rhys Webb
08.  T Faletau
07.  Justin Tipuric - don't care if he only plays 12 seconds of rugby between now and kickoff in November.
06.  Sam Warburton
05.  Jake Ball
04.  AWJ
03. Samson Lee
02. Hibbard/Baldwin
01. Nicky Smith

16.  Gethin Jenkins
17.  Hibbard/Baldwin
18.  Rhodri Jones
19.  James King
20.  Dan Baker
21.  Gareth Davies
22.  James Hook
23.  Lee Halfpenny

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED) - Page 2 Empty Re: My Wales 23 for AIs (SQUAD ANNOUNCED)

Post by Guest Mon 13 Oct 2014, 10:01 pm

I still rate Halfpenny as a better winger than Walker though, I'd drop Walker to the bench in his place.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 14 Oct 2014, 6:22 am

Didn't think I would pick a side without Lydiate in it but he just hasn't been getting the game time (likewise Roberts) though if Gats did pick him then I still reckon he would do his job as good as ever.

That then leaves 6 & 7 as a bit of a quandry as Tipuric has had limited game time but him and Warburton did work well at 6 m 7 before, if you leave Sam at 7 who at 6 if not Lydiate.

If you are going to drop Cuthbert or North then for me I would put Halfpenny on the wing ahead of Walker but Liam Williams has to start at XV.

Centres, Sc Williams and JD for me though Allen needs some game time as JD won't be available for the Boks.

Halfbacks, has to be Webb and Biggar

Frontrow, Would love to see Smith get a shot but we all know it will be Jenkins, Hibbard has hit bit of form and Lee has to now be given the shirt

King has never convinced me so I wouldn't have him in the side but that's just my opinion.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 14 Oct 2014, 8:33 am

King could be in the squad, hopefully as just a 6. How he and Tips go against Northampton will probably be the deciding factor.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Tue 14 Oct 2014, 8:34 am

Strange that people don't rate King. I have to assume that it's because they haven't seen too much of him, because he has been outstanding for the unbeaten Ospreys this year. He also covers 4,5,6,7 - as in, he's had a lot of game time in those positions, is a good carrier, and an excellent lineout option.
All factors which put him way and ahead of Lydiate at this point. Given that we have no 2nd rows.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Tue 14 Oct 2014, 8:40 am

Saint!! You've changed!

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:02 am

Even though I've picked Liam Williams, I'm still concerned he is a liability to the team if he continues to play dirty.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:14 am

Higher_Ground wrote:Wayne, James King gets my vote every time.  He's done a superb job playing out of position this season, and offers a lot more than Lydiate at this stage.

Cuthbert is a great finisher, but the Blues haven't given him any opportunity so far this season, and for a tall man, he remains comically bad under the high ball.  Which is something he can improve, so that's not too bad.

Fullbacks for me, need to be able to hit the line, with great pace, and timing.  Think Lee Byrne, Kevin Morgan etc.
For me, Halfpenny is as solid as you like, but isn't enough of a threat going forward, I think it's because he's a winger deep down.  His goal kicking isn't required with Biggar on the pitch either, so in my mind he drops to the bench.

15.  Liam Williams
14.  Eli Walker
13.  Jonathan Davies
12.  Scott Williams
11.  George North
10.  Dan Biggar
09.  Rhys Webb
08.  T Faletau
07.  Justin Tipuric - don't care if he only plays 12 seconds of rugby between now and kickoff in November.
06.  Sam Warburton
05.  Jake Ball
04.  AWJ
03. Samson Lee
02. Hibbard/Baldwin
01. Nicky Smith

16.  Gethin Jenkins
17.  Hibbard/Baldwin
18.  Rhodri Jones
19.  James King
20.  Dan Baker
21.  Gareth Davies
22.  James Hook
23.  Lee Halfpenny

HG, that is THE team of the season so far, but you just know that Gatland will pick his favourites, it is so refreshing when you see a player like Liam Williams, who CAN catch a high ball, not let it hit his chest and go forward, and run it back rather than kick it, Nicky Smith will not get a chance unfortunately, he will pick Gethin Jenkins, also, I have a very worrying thought that he will pick Priestland over Biggar, but your team for me is spot on.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:23 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Higher_Ground wrote:Wayne, James King gets my vote every time.  He's done a superb job playing out of position this season, and offers a lot more than Lydiate at this stage.

15.  Liam Williams
14.  Eli Walker
13.  Jonathan Davies
12.  Scott Williams
11.  George North
10.  Dan Biggar
09.  Rhys Webb
08.  T Faletau
06.  Sam Warburton
05.  Jake Ball
04.  AWJ
03. Samson Lee
02. Hibbard/Baldwin
01. Nicky Smith

16.  Gethin Jenkins
17.  Hibbard/Baldwin
18.  Rhodri Jones
19.  James King
20.  Dan Baker
21.  Gareth Davies
22.  James Hook
23.  Lee Halfpenny

HG, that is THE team of the season so far, but you just know that Gatland will pick his favourites, it is so refreshing when you see a player like Liam Williams, who CAN catch a high ball, not let it hit his chest and go forward, and run it back rather than kick it, Nicky Smith will not get a chance unfortunately, he will pick Gethin Jenkins, also, I have a very worrying thought that he will pick Priestland over Biggar, but your team for me is spot on.

I agree though I think Adam Jones is rightfully getting some stick, he is not so far off the pace as many of you are making out. I would have him in the 23.

Halfpenny, considering he has been absent since march looked good, he has three or four more games to get back to form.. He looks like he will make it. And to be honest his excellent play and kicking is a higher priority than Williams susceptible temper.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:26 am

I'd have Paul James on the bench instead of Jenkins as well, Bath are playing pretty well right now

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:35 am

Yes mike you're right, but I think most Bath RFCfans would agree that it is Henson who is the Welshman that is making the difference at the rec..

Paul James is in great form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:43 am

Hi Lord, I know what you mean, but you would have to believe that even Gatland can see that Priestland is not the answer at 10. In fact on current form, Steven Shingler can be starting to feel a bit hard done by that he's not starting for the Scarlets.
If Gethin can recapture the form of the last SA test, then that will be great, otherwise, give youth a try mr Gatland!

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:46 am

I know what you're saying Maesteg, but I think we gain a lot more with Williams than we lose with his discipline.
We need a bit of unpredictability to our play if we're going to break down the SH sides. Structure and competence aren't enough on their own. (Although important!)

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:47 am

Higher_Ground wrote:Hi Lord, I know what you mean, but you would have to believe that even Gatland can see that Priestland is not the answer at 10. In fact on current form, Steven Shingler can be starting to feel a bit hard done by that he's not starting for the Scarlets.
If Gethin can recapture the form of the last SA test, then that will be great, otherwise, give youth a try mr Gatland!

There is some heavy pressure coming on the establish players. Rob Evans hasn't had a mention yet and I think he deserves one, he has had a great season at scarlets

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:48 am

As an aside, I don't think Adam Jones deserves any stick at all, there's nothing you can do about the ageing process. There's no shame in having given your all for your country, and now gradually being replaced. It's happened to every great of the game.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:50 am

Higher_Ground wrote:I know what you're saying Maesteg, but I think we gain a lot more with Williams than we lose with his discipline.
We need a bit of unpredictability to our play if we're going to break down the SH sides. Structure and competence aren't enough on their own. (Although important!)

Dan Evans has played well too.

I think Williams has had a great season, but Halfpenny really didn't look like he would take long to establish his credentials. His near faultless gal kicking is huge... That said so is Biggars.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:51 am

Higher_Ground wrote:As an aside, I don't think Adam Jones deserves any stick at all, there's nothing you can do about the ageing process. There's no shame in having given your all for your country, and now gradually being replaced. It's happened to every great of the game.

It's far more the referee selectorial process than ageing mate... He has had some ridiculous decisions go against him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:51 am

Maesteg, I have to admit I haven't seen much of Evans, but Gatland seems to rate him highly as well.
With the World Cup a year out, it seems the time to shake things up. I'd rather lose by 15 with a new team, than lose by 5 with players who won't make it to 2015

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:14 am

Higher_Ground wrote:Maesteg, I have to admit I haven't seen much of Evans, but Gatland seems to rate him highly as well.
With the World Cup a year out, it seems the time to shake things up. I'd rather lose by 15 with a new team, than lose by 5 with players who won't make it to 2015

I can't see Gethin or Adam not making the RWC they both got a harder time from the refereeing last weekend than from the pups at the Os. And I am an ospreys fan.

Mike Phillips has a lot to prove, but of the other double/triple grandslammers in contention he is the only one I can't see making the cut without a rocket up his arse.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:26 am

Ok, here a twist, I am going to list a few players, who I think, should NOT make the first 15 for the AI:-

Rhys Preistland
Mike Phillips
Gethin Jenkins
Alex Cuthbert
James Hook
Leigh Halfpenny although he should be in the squad
Ian Evans
Adam Jones but like Halfpenny should be in the squad
Jamie Roberts
Dan Lydiate

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:27 am

Seemingly they're all gonna be back this week! We could do with Roberts at the Ospreys? Imagine him being out into space by Josh.
Re the refereeing, I think the team ploughing forward is gonna get the calls. Jenkins and Jones have just had more experience at looking confused at calls against them!

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:32 am

I think gatland would be mad not to pick the biggar and Webb partnership . Sorry Philips but i dont think you should even make the bench ,G Davies all the way .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 14 Oct 2014, 11:28 am

Just to add, the players on the left hand side of each position in my list would NOT always be in my team, I would have WRUburton, Tipuric and Faletau as my back row for definite, I would also have Shove at full back, Liam is still unpredictable for me, and I admit I've not seen all of the Scarlets games but he is extremely greedy and misses out on some overlaps

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 14 Oct 2014, 5:54 pm

Higher_Ground wrote:Strange that people don't rate King. I have to assume that it's because they haven't seen too much of him, because he has been outstanding for the unbeaten Ospreys this year. He also covers 4,5,6,7 - as in, he's had a lot of game time in those positions, is a good carrier, and an excellent lineout option.
All factors which put him way and ahead of Lydiate at this point. Given that we have no 2nd rows.

Higher_Ground wrote:Saint!! You've changed!

I don't rate him either, I can picture Gatland rating him because he's an Ospreys. Right now he's part of an efficient unit, but isn't really good at lock. 6 and 7 he's played well thus far. I don't see him as anything more than a good club player, Ospreys seem to have a fair few of those right now where-as the other regions have average players or internationals off form/not gelling. He's certainly ahead of Lydiate, and now it seems the French echo my earlier comments in this article.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 14 Oct 2014, 7:17 pm

IronMike wrote:I'd have Paul James on the bench instead of Jenkins as well, Bath are playing pretty well right now

I would have started James ahead of Jenkins for the past 3 seasons now also Gill is getting some good game time now for Sarries due to Mako being out injured.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 14 Oct 2014, 7:21 pm

Higher_Ground wrote:Strange that people don't rate King. I have to assume that it's because they haven't seen too much of him, because he has been outstanding for the unbeaten Ospreys this year. He also covers 4,5,6,7 - as in, he's had a lot of game time in those positions, is a good carrier, and an excellent lineout option.

Why don't we have 2nd rows:

AWJ
Ball
Charteris
Evans
Davies

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 14 Oct 2014, 7:31 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:

AWJ
Ball
Charteris
Evans
Davies

BW because the last 3 will not be available for the final game

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:34 pm

wayne wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

AWJ
Ball
Charteris
Evans
Davies

I thought Coombs looked good on the weekend. Chatteris will probably be available, Racing Metro get on well with the Welsh Coaches.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 14 Oct 2014, 11:25 pm

I think Evans will be available if fit for the last game as he not playing in the Aviva and if Bristol release him.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Oct 2014, 12:49 pm

wayne wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

AWJ
Ball
Charteris
Evans
Davies

Thought he meant overall, not just the last game and I have said previously that IMO the team against the ABs shouldn't contain any player not available for the Boks game
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 15 Oct 2014, 2:05 pm

BW, in the squad I selected Coombs was the extra 2nd row and I had King as the extra player, why I forgot him I don't know, I don't think Evans is available for the final game, to contemplate going in to play NZ and then SA with AWJ, Ball and Coombs with somebody like King as back up is bordering on the suicidal, you might like to pick a team to play those countries with those players Gatland and myself wouldn't.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 15 Oct 2014, 3:50 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29630658

Gareth Davies won't feature unfortunately. Phillips on the bench is a good option. Who would be the third No.9 now though?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 15 Oct 2014, 4:41 pm

The Saint wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29630658

Gareth Davies won't feature unfortunately. Phillips on the bench is a good option. Who would be the third No.9 now though?

Gareth Cooper.

Seriously though, real shame about Gareth Davies. Finally a Welsh scrum half with both a pass and a turn of pace.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Oct 2014, 4:48 pm

wayne wrote:BW, in the squad I selected Coombs was the extra 2nd row and I had King as the extra player, why I forgot him I don't know, I don't think Evans is available for the final game, to contemplate going in to play NZ and then SA with AWJ, Ball and Coombs  with somebody like King as back up is bordering on the suicidal, you might like to pick a team to play those countries  with those players Gatland and myself wouldn't.

Wayne,

My thinking is that we will have to do without the exiles (North aside) for the Boks game so the side that plays against the ABs should be the same that is available for the Boks, that way there won't be too many changes and they would have had a bit of game time together.

Also it would send out a strong message to anyone thinking about going in that we can do without you if need be.

If he uses the exiles against the ABs then potentially you are looking at a squad against the Boks containing 7 or 8 changes, that in itself would be suicidal in my book.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 15 Oct 2014, 6:23 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
wayne wrote:BW, in the squad I selected Coombs was the extra 2nd row and I had King as the extra player, why I forgot him I don't know, I don't think Evans is available for the final game, to contemplate going in to play NZ and then SA with AWJ, Ball and Coombs  with somebody like King as back up is bordering on the suicidal, you might like to pick a team to play those countries  with those players Gatland and myself wouldn't.

Wayne,

My thinking is that we will have to do without the exiles (North aside) for the Boks game so the side that plays against the ABs should be the same that is available for the Boks, that way there won't be too many changes and they would have had a bit of game time together.

Also it would send out a strong message to anyone thinking about going in that we can do without you if need be.

If he uses the exiles against the ABs then potentially you are looking at a squad against the Boks containing 7 or 8 changes, that in itself would be suicidal in my book.
BW, the way I would look at this years AIs is for the first game to be selected from all players that are in the camp for the 13 days before that game, for the Fiji game all players not selected for that game who are in camp are picked, for the AB game the strongest team available has to be picked, and finally the strongest available still in camp to be selected for the SA game.
I understand and agree with your point about NOT selecting players not available, the only difference between us is you want it now(I think), I want it brought in (Gatlands Law) AFTER the World Cup, new players and the ones already out of Wales have to be told this now and be aware of the consequences.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Oct 2014, 7:43 pm

wayne wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Wayne,

BW, the way I would look at this years AIs is for the first game to be selected from all players that are in the camp for the 13 days before that game, for the Fiji game all players not selected for that game who are in camp are picked, for the AB game the strongest team available has to be picked, and finally the strongest available still in camp to be selected for the SA game.
I understand and agree with your point about NOT selecting players not available, the only difference between us is you want it now(I think), I want it brought in (Gatlands Law) AFTER the World Cup, new players and the ones already out of Wales have to be told this now and be aware of the consequences.  

Wayne,

Think we both have valid points but I just don't think 'throwing' a team together to face the Boks will do us any good at all, like I said there would potentially be 7 or 8 changes after the ABs games. Also in some peoples eyes it wouldn't be a weak side against the ABs. Lets look at the possible sides with and without exiles

Hooker - Against the ABs it would be Hibbard, against the Boks it could be Baldwin. For me that would be weaker I agree
2nd Row - Against the ABs lets say Charteris or Evans, against the Boks Ball. Not a drop in standard for me
B/Row - Against ABs lets say Lydiate, against the Boks Warburton. Despite being a huge Lydiate fan he's just not getting the game time and Sam more than capable of doing the job there so no drop in standard.

No9 - Against ABs, heaven forbid he picked Phillips but the against the Boks Webb was to play it would be a plus.
Centres - Against ABs Roberts and Davies against the Boks Sc Williams and Allen. Agree we would miss Davies but I wouldn't pick Roberts at the moment anyway
XV - Against ABs Halfpennyt if fit against the Boks Li Williams. For me Li Williams has been outsatnding this season and given Halfpennys lack of game time again it wouldn't be a drop.

So potentially the side available for the Boks is more than liley the best side for the ABs, Hibbard aside maybe.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 16 Oct 2014, 7:50 am

I just saw that Gareth Davies injury will leave him out of contention.

So is Rhys Webb the number 1 choice at nine?

He was selected ahead of Mike Phillips twice in the six nations and was then injured and unable to your SA.

He has been in bar far his best form this season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 16 Oct 2014, 8:32 am

Maes,

I would like to think so
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Oct 2014, 9:22 am

I think it is a safe bet that 9 and 10 will be Webb and Biggar, so I would be very tempted to go for

15: Liam Williams (Halfpenny)
14: George North
13: Cory Allen
12: Scott Williams
11: Alex Cuthbert
10: Dan Biggar (Owen Williams)
9: Rhys Webb (Mike Phillips)

1: Gethin Jenkins (Nicky Smith)
2: Richard Hibbard (Emyr Phillips)
3: Samson Lee (Adam Jones)
4: Jake Ball (Luke Charteris)
5: Alyn Wyn Jones
6: Taulupe Faletau (Josh Turnbull)
7: Sam Warburton
8: Dan Baker

And then replace the bench options of those not available as follows
L Halfpenny : Eli Walker
O Williams : Rhys Priestland
M Phillips : Lewis Jones / Rhodri Williams
L Charteris : Andrew Coombs
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 16 Oct 2014, 10:09 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I think it is a safe bet that 9 and 10 will be Webb and Biggar, so I would be very tempted to go for

What's happened to Jonathan Davies?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Oct 2014, 10:17 am

bluestonevedder wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I think it is a safe bet that 9 and 10 will be Webb and Biggar, so I would be very tempted to go for

What's happened to Jonathan Davies?

Good question, how has he settled playing in Clermont? Has he had much game time? Is he in good form?

I don't watch much Top14, so maybe someone who is more clued up can answer.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Oct 2014, 10:20 am

I left him out because i'm bitter and twisted Whistle Well actually I forgot about him. From all accounts he isn't doing too poorly, and getting a fair bit of game time. I guess he would have to take Allen's place in the centre then.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 16 Oct 2014, 10:48 am

I really struggle keeping up with Top 14 too, but I've had a quick read and it appears he's recovered well from his toe injury and is playing well

Got to play Davies in the centres Scarlet- the man's excellent!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 16 Oct 2014, 11:40 am

bluestonevedder wrote:I really struggle keeping up with Top 14 too, but I've had a quick read and it appears he's recovered well from his toe injury and is playing well

I watched JD on sky in the club a few weeks ago, the game where his side were smashed, I do not know if it was just a case of me looking for him because he is Welsh, but he was the one shining light in the side that day, he was making breaks left right and center.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Oct 2014, 11:42 am

Foxy is a very special player, and he is one of those players that IMO will come back from France with his reputation enhanced, not because he has imporved more than he would have here, but because he is out of the goldfish bowl and earning the praise of the French.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 16 Oct 2014, 11:46 am

LordDowlais wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:I really struggle keeping up with Top 14 too, but I've had a quick read and it appears he's recovered well from his toe injury and is playing well

I watched JD on sky in the club a few weeks ago, the game where his side were smashed, I do not know if it was just a case of me looking for him because he is Welsh, but he was the one shining light in the side that day, he was making breaks left right and center.

How's he combining with Fofana? They've got the potential to be amazing

Davies is a cracking player. He never seems to have a poor game. He has games where he is quieter than usual, but he never makes particularly poor mistakes. When he's on form he's up there with the best. He's got such a well-rounded game. I've got a lot of time for him as a player. He always comes across well too.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 16 Oct 2014, 11:58 am

I've seen two Claremont games this season and he looks very good. He is combining, in what should be the dream centre partnership, with Wesley Fofana very well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:01 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I've seen two Claremont games this season and he looks very good. He is combining, in what should be the dream centre partnership, with Wesley Fofana very well.

From what I saw, but I could be wrong, JD was doing more than his fair share of the work, he was making tackles for Fofana, and he was making breaks and Fafana was never with him.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:11 pm

Also, on a side note, about 7 or 8 years ago I went to the MS to watch the Brewers cup final between GlynCoch and Trevil, but before the game they had the regional youth finals there, and all our regions had their Youth teams out for us all to watch, the Scarlets won the finals by a canter, and I remember watching a young centre scoring about 4 tries in each game, and over the tannoy, you guessed it Jonathan Davies, he looked like a man amongst boys, and the Welsh coach at the time, Gareth Davies, who was sitting not to far away from me, said to the Glyncoch chairman, "Watch out for this boy, he is going to go far", I sat there and after witnessing him with my own eyes said to my father in law any pleb could see that, I think he heard me or heard something because as we were all laughing he scowled across at us.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:13 pm

Clermont seem to have rotated their internationals quite a bit this season, so JD probably hasn't played that much more than guys in our domestic league. I've only seen highlights, but JD has looked fairly average and hasn't been on the scoresheet yet. So no idea where you guys get the idea he's been amazing. Perhaps our French friend on here could clear it up.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next