The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ERCC Team of Round One

+11
bedfordwelsh
thebandwagonsociety
nathan
SecretFly
Mad for Chelsea
LondonTiger
HammerofThunor
beshocked
The Saint
Bathite
George Carlin
15 posters

Go down

ERCC Team of Round One Empty ERCC Team of Round One

Post by George Carlin Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:30 am

According to those bods at Planet Rugby, that is.

After the first round of action in the European Champions Cup, we pick out who excelled and stood out across the weekend.

15 Dan Evans (Ospreys): Two tries for the Welsh full-back booked his spot in the XV, as the Ospreys comfortably outclassed Treviso at home on Sunday. 98 metres plus four defenders beaten made him too hard to ignore, although Liam Williams did impress for the Scarlets in Toulon.

14 Christian Wade (Wasps): Strong contenders for the right wing berth in Yoann Huget and Sean Maitland, but Wade is too special to leave out. His solo try was yet another reminder of what an insanely talented young player he is. Wade scorched past three defenders down the right touchline for a super try, finishing with six defenders beaten and 69 metres to his name.

13 Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors): Such a big part of Glasgow's hammering of Bath, Bennett scored twice for the Pro12 finalists, the second of which was an absolute gem. Glasgow have such a fluid backline and Bennett is at the heart of it. Sale's Johnny Leota gets a nod for a barnstorming game against Munster, when he beat eight defenders.

12 Maxime Mermoz (Toulon): The primary candidate despite missing a few tackles, Mermoz's opportunism gave him a try against the Scarlets. He also played a major role in Matt Giteau's earlier score as Toulon were pushed all the way by the Welsh region. Nods to Alapati Leiua of Wasps, 15 tackles, along with Wynand Olivier for his super try against Toulouse.

11 Zac Guildford (Clermont): Pushing out David Strettle down to his superior defence, the Kiwi was sharp for Clermont in London as he gets his career back on track. Just shy of 100 metres made but with two tries to his name, Guildford is in. Leinster's Darragh Fanning gets a mention.

10 Ian Keatley (Munster): Two Irish tens, but how can you not go with Keatley after his drop goal heroics against Sale? Calmness personified, Keatley snatched the win in Munster's impressive comeback to add another chapter into their European legacy. Jonathan Sexton showed great control on his return for Racing, while Nick Evans' clever assist and goalkicking saw Harlequins home.

9 Conor Murray (Munster): Hard to leave out Jean-Marc Doussain after his superb solo try, Ben Youngs too, but Murray gets the nod for his role along with Keatley in Munster's fightback. The Ireland scrum-half bagged a try and an assist, so physical around the breakdown.

8 Jamie Heaslip (Leinster): Harsh on CJ Stander after he tore the house down at the AJ Bell Stadium with over 100 metres to his name, but Heaslip's eye-watering 23 carries, 14 tackles plus 50 metres give him the nod. That's a seriously high work-rate from the Leinster captain as they battled their way back to victory.

7 Julian Salvi (Leicester): Leicester's master of the dark arts delivered again against Ulster, racking up 22 tackles in a defensive performance that we've come to expect from the Australian. Keeps delivering. A mention for John Barclay of the Scarlets.

6 Magnus Lund (Sale): Another player to rack up 22 tackles this weekend, Lund was at the heart of Sale's spectacular first half when they left Munster with a mountain to climb. Wasps' Ashley Johnson gets a mention for another strong performance this season.

5 Joe Launchbury (Wasps): We've moved Launchbury across to the number five slot following his impressive display in Dublin. The essential England player won his share of lineouts and made 22 tackles against Leinster, carrying well too in the loose. Franco van der Merwe impressed for Ulster, as did Graham Kitchener for the Tigers.

4 Joe Tekori (Toulouse): Making it a pair of Joes in the second row, Tekori producing a storming performance against Montpellier. The giant Samoan was a menace in the loose, beating six defenders and making three offloads. A mention for George Kruis of Saracens, who made 12 tackles and won eight lineouts plus a steal.

3 Fraser Balmain (Leicester): Superb effort from the young English tighthead to rack up 16 tackles against Ulster. Tipped for big things, England's depth at three is far from rock solid so this performance will have helped his cause. A nod to Luc Ducalcon whose scrummaging power troubled Northampton.

2 Corey Flynn (Toulouse): The former Crusaders and All Blacks hooker made an impressive 75 metres with the ball for his new club against Montpellier, a great effort for a hooker. Flynn's high number of carries along with Tekori were crucial to Toulouse's success. Leicester's Leonardo Ghiraldini gets a nod as does Sale's Marc Jones.

1 Dave Kilcoyne (Munster): Our third Munsterman, Kilcoyne's try played a big role in the comeback at Sale as the Ireland international made a substantial impact when it mattered.
Not a bad attempt - I would have had Stander in there instead of Heaslip and Kitchener or Gray instead of Lund, but otherwise no real arguments with any of those.

What do people think?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

ERCC Team of Round One Empty Re: ERCC Team of Round One

Post by Bathite Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:38 am

Didn't watch many other games, including Munster, but would have thought Pyrgos would be in with a shout, as was outstanding against us, as was young Ashe.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:38 am

I think Scott Williams, Liam Williams should have been within a shout, or perhaps the entire Scarlets pack who had to play against the ref as well as some of the world's best players.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:40 am

How can they pick Guildford when his mistake was so costly in gifting Saracens the 4th try which won the match?

Strettle should be left wing. Two classy finishes for his two tries.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:40 am

Why would you put locks in place of a blindside? I didn't see the Wasps game but Launchbury must have been pretty amazing to be in ahead of Kitchener (and switching position slightly).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:55 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2237872-best-xv-from-european-rugby-champions-cup-for-weekend-of-october-17-19

XV from Bleacher Report

15.Dan Evans
14.Christian Wade
13.Mark Bennett
12.Gael Fickou
11. David Strettle
10.Charlie Hodgson
9.Rhys Webb
8.Jamie Heaslip
7.Steffon Armitage
6.Magnus Lund
5.Paul O Connell
4.Graham Kitchener
3.Euan Murray
2.Leonardo Ghiraldini
1.Marcos Ayerza

Just thought I would post this as a comparison.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:27 am

What is it with these lists and insisting on picking palyers in a position they were not playing?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:32 am

strikes me as a little odd to only have one player combined from Sarries and Glasgow, who arguably had the best results all week-end (maybe along with Munster). Strettle should definitely be in IMO.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:39 am

Don't question the all seeing eye of Planet Rugby! They just gotta know everything if they talk for the planet.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:57 am

SecretFly wrote:Don't question the all seeing eye of Planet Rugby!  They just gotta know everything if they talk for the planet.

Who would you have in the team (or out of it)?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:10 pm

I never question Plant Rugby. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:21 pm

beshocked wrote:How can they pick Guildford when his mistake was so costly in gifting Saracens the 4th try which won the match?

Strettle should be left wing. Two classy finishes for his two tries.

100% agree with you. Guildford played well in parts but that mistake was so high profile and cost them the match. For me, the two Sarries wingers could easily have made the team. Ashton isn't an in vogue choice but he had a great game. Huget deserves a lot of consideration.

Heaslip put in a good stint but I don't think any of the Leinster players deserve to be in a team of the week. Overall a poor display.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:40 pm

Except that the poor display won against a team driven and against the run of play of the first half.

Good play isn't always the shiny stuff it can be the determination to do the hard work to drag out a victory.  Lots of Leinster guys who wouldn't necessarily be on any ideal ERCC side played well enough to drag out a win that most observers started to doubt was in them at half time.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:46 pm

Yeah from the games I watched then Strettle and Pyrgos would def be in the side.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 21 Oct 2014, 5:45 pm

SecretFly wrote:Except that the poor display won against a team driven and against the run of play of the first half.

Good play isn't always the shiny stuff it can be the determination to do the hard work to drag out a victory.  Lots of Leinster guys who wouldn't necessarily be on any ideal ERCC side played well enough to drag out a win that most observers started to doubt was in them at half time.

I understand where you're coming from. I just don't think that a player putting in a gritty shift for 40 minutes can put them in a team of the week when most of them were average (to put it politely) for the first 40 minutes. Same kind of goes for that Munster team, they pulled a victory out of the bag, but that team also put themselves in that shocking position to start off with. I know away victories are not to be sniffed at, and one/two players in a side can put in a monumental shift to get the other 13 players over the line with them. Just feel that Munster should be getting wrapped on the knuckles by Axel this week more than a pat on the back. I also think O'Connor will be happy with getting the win when he shouldn't be content with displays like that.

Taking the wings as examples, I thought Ashton and Strettle threatened throughout the game always looking dangerous and taking their scores. Wade had one season highlight reel worthy run which was exceptional, but I don't think he put in a better performance over the 80 minutes than the two sarries wings. And I'd argue that Huget and Maitland both did more throughout their games to merit inclusion ahead of him.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 21 Oct 2014, 6:12 pm

1 Glasgow player?  Rolling Eyes

Seymour, Maitland, Weir, Pyrgos could well be in there. Bennet had a good game but I bet this was assembled by someone who didn't watch the Glasgow game.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 21 Oct 2014, 7:41 pm

TJ wrote:1 Glasgow player?  Rolling Eyes

Seymour, Maitland, Weir, Pyrgos could well be in there.  Bennet had a good game  but I bet this was assembled by someone who didn't watch the Glasgow game.

We should just go for Glasgow players 1 -15

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:19 pm

Yeah Huget deserved some recognition, he made a fidjian look slow!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 22 Oct 2014, 12:36 am

SecretFly wrote:I never question Plant Rugby. Wink

Probably the safest option.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 22 Oct 2014, 7:41 am

SecretFly wrote:I never question Plant Rugby. Wink

I never look at Rugby Planet.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 22 Oct 2014, 8:37 am

Wade is really a joke. he was poor all game - out of position and easily by passed for the try.

One fantastic effort should not take away the fact he is in poor form and a defensive liability

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down