The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs South Africa 8th of November

+70
blackcanelion
jimmyinthewell68
emack2
No 7&1/2
MrsP
kunu
The Great Aukster
Pal Joey
offload
TJ
bedfordwelsh
skiddy
Duty281
ChequeredJersey
Barney McGrew did it
majesticimperialman
WELL-PAST-IT
Artful_Dodger
nathan
2ndtimeround
tatterd
wales606
protea438
stub
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
Rugby Fan
aucklandlaurie
yappysnap
BlueMuff
Golden
Mr Fishpaste
Nachos Jones
The Saint
PredictorofTeams
MMaaxx
Baz1974
theslosty
LeinsterFan4life
Don Alfonso
thebandwagonsociety
wolfball
JmD
Rory_Gallagher
GoodinTightSpaces
brennomac
Pete330v2
Standulstermen
Submachine
theshanker
Marshes
Bullsbok
Sin é
asoreleftshoulder
TobyBryant
SecretFly
Taylorman
quinsforever
ME-109
FecklessRogue
Gretgael1
George Carlin
the-goon
kingraf
Gibson
profitius
fa0019
Notch
GunsGerms
Biltong
74 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

Ireland vs South Africa 8th of November Empty Ireland vs South Africa 8th of November

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:37 pm

In six days time Ireland will host South Africa in their first test of the November tours. South Africa will have to lift themselves for this one as the standard under Meyer has ben exemplary in Europe, he is yet to lose a test match and the Six Nations champions gets first shot at breaking Meyer's unbeaten streak over the Six Nations teams.

It seems both teams are effected by injuries so their depth will be severely tested.

South African players unavailable due to injury.

Props - Marcel v d Merwe, Frans Malherbe
Hooker - Schalk Brits, Callie Visagie
Locks - Pieter Steph du Toit, Flip v d Merwe
Back Row - Frans Louw, Willem Alberts, Siya Kolisi, Arno Botha
Halfback - Fourie du Preez, Ruan Pienaar (Pending a fitness test)
Midfield - Jaque Fourie

Irish players unavailable due to injury.
Props - Healy, Moore, Ross (Questionable)
Hooker - Cronin, Best (questionable)
Locks - Tuohy, Ryan
Back Row - Henderson, Murphy, O'Brien
Halfback -
Flyhalf - Sexton (Questionable)
Midfield - Darcy (questionable)
Back Three - Kearney, Earls, Trimble, Fitzgerald, McFadden, Bowe (questionable)

Ireland has been rather successful against South Africa in the last decade, managing wins in 2004, 2006 and 2009.

South Africa 31 - 17 Ireland
South Africa 26 - 17 Ireland
Ireland 17 - 12 South Africa
Ireland 32 - 15 South Africa
Ireland 15 - 10 South Africa
Ireland 21 - 23 South Africa
Ireland 12 - 16 South Africa

Likely matchday 23 for South Africa.

1. Tendai Mtwarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du PLessis
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Victor Matfield
6. Marcell Coetzee
7. Oupa Mohoje
8. Duane Vermeulen
9. Francois Hougaard
10. Handre Pollard
11. Brya Habana
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jan Serfontein
14. Cornal Hendricks
15. Willie le Roux.

Subs
16. Coenie Oosthuizen
17. Adriaan Strauss
18. Julian Redelinghuys
19. Bakkies Botha
20. Schalk Burger
21. Cobus Reinach
22. Johan Goosen
23. Patrick Lambie/Damien de Allende

Likely Irish matchday 23. (Help please)

Ireland will be keen to beat the Springboks, even though they are unlikely to meet them in earlier rounds of the RWC it will give them validation and confidence for the Rugby World Cup. Under their new coach I expect them to throw the ball around and attempt to run the SPringboks off their feet, Ireland is also more used to the conditions and could use that to their advantage, I suspect the territorial game will be part of their plans.

It is easier sad than done though, the only team in recent years that managed to run the Springboks off their feet was New Zealand, and that was at altitude. South Africa these days play more adventurous rugby and at a great pace as well, newcomer Handre POllard will be on his first trip to Europe, so it might take him a while to adapt, but once on song he will be the danger man, South Africa attacks a lot flatter without Morne Steyn which does provide more hesitation in opposition defences and creates more space for their outside backs.

One issue with South Africa this season has been their inconsistency in performances, and they will have to be on song from the start.

Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer has warned his team they will need to be at their best if they are to keep their unbeaten record under his management in the northern hemisphere intact.

Meyer singled out the team’s first fixture against Ireland as a crucial one to kick off the team’s four week tour, and one which is the most tricky of all their fixtures.

The Boks know they cannot focus on the Twickenham showdown before getting past the tricky Irish, who have been a team that has plagued them at this time of year under previous coaches.

The Boks will know all too well how a poor opening performance can set the trend for the tour, and with chances to experiment getting less and less ahead of the World Cup, it is imperative that the team kick off the tour on a high note.

“We have a proud record and we haven’t lost a game there. But we have a proud record and this is probably the toughest tour we have faced to the Northern Hemisphere. I truly believe Ireland is an unbelievable team, they were unlucky not to beat the All Blacks last year.

“They’ve got a great coaching staff, a lot of in-form players and their defence is great. They’ve got a good kicking game in those conditions."

That's it boys, enjoy the discussion.

Last edited by Biltong on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added SExton and Best, thanks Notch,)
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs South Africa 8th of November Empty Re: Ireland vs South Africa 8th of November

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:44 pm

David Skrela is unavailable for Ireland too so that should be a boost to the SA players and management.

Nice review. I am going to this game and will accept nothing less than an Ireland win.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs South Africa 8th of November Empty Re: Ireland vs South Africa 8th of November

Post by Notch Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:49 pm

The latest is injury doubts over Rory Best (hooker) and Johnny Sexton at 10 Biltong.

Two of Irelands most important and experienced players are serious doubts for this game. And when your tight head is likely to be inexperienced and callow, or experienced but unfit because he hasn't played in weeks, the last thing you want is to lose your hooker as well.

Losing your 10 is difficult whatever happens.

I really doubt Ireland will be able to match the Boks, I'm seriously worried. Both teams may be close if its the first XV but the difference in depth is huge. The fact Wiehahn Herbst can come and immediately be the best scrummaging tight head in Ireland this season but not even get a look in for the Sharks just goes to show you what we're dealing with here.

I hope we just take it to them in every facet of the game. Don't put out the walking wounded because they are experienced. Choose a team that is fit and hungry. Tell them if they perform the experienced guys might not be back.

And give the Bokke a bloody hard afternoon whatever happens. Make them leave the field thinking they were in a tough game and hopefully a game they lost!

Last edited by Notch on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:50 pm

GunsGerms wrote:David Skrela is unavailable for Ireland too so that should be a boost to the SA players and management.

You almost got me Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:54 pm

Biltong wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:David Skrela is unavailable for Ireland too so that should be a boost to the SA players and management.

You almost got me Very Happy

Haha. Would have been great if you had added that to your article.

This will possibly be the Ireland team:

McGrath
Best
Ross
POC
Toner
POM
Henry
Heaslip
Murray
Sexton
Darcy
Hendshaw
Zebo
Bowe
Kearney or Payne maybe if Kearney is injured.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:58 pm

Bench?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:01 pm

Ruan has gone down there for a fitness test, I'm sure he'll be asked a thing or two about some of the Ulster guys. The joys of having a foot in both camps!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:03 pm

I actually hope Ruan can't play, Hougaard and Pollard is our future and he needs to show Meyer he can perform in European conditions, Meyer is so stuck on Ruan if he is fit Hougaard isn't going to get much game time in the later tests.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:05 pm

Notch wrote:Ruan has gone down there for a fitness test, I'm sure he'll be asked a thing or two about some of the Ulster guys. The joys of having a foot in both camps!

Maybe thats why Paddy Jackson was left out of this squad?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm

I wouldn't say the boks are full strength

3. Malherbe
5. van Der Merwe
6. Louw
7. Alberts
9. Du Preez

13. Fourie (although this is a self removal so I don't think it counts)

I look at the players of Ireland out through injury and think its going to be a tough day in the office for them.

I think they would need a full compliment to be competitive.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Notch wrote:Ruan has gone down there for a fitness test, I'm sure he'll be asked a thing or two about some of the Ulster guys. The joys of having a foot in both camps!

Maybe thats why Paddy Jackson was left out of this squad?

Nah, don't think so. I mean- so much analysis is done now you have to assume both sides are going to be very aware of the others weaknesses anyway.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm

Biltong wrote:I actually hope Ruan can't play, Hougaard and Pollard is our future and he needs to show Meyer he can perform in European conditions, Meyer is so stuck on Ruan if he is fit Hougaard isn't going to get much game time in the later tests.

bleeding hope not!!!

Once his pace is gone, once that ligament injury hits home he's finished.

His passing skills are average, his kicking.... dire! Quite possible the worst in tier 1 world rugby.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:20 pm

that was referenced to Hougaard.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:22 pm

Biltong wrote:I actually hope Ruan can't play, Hougaard and Pollard is our future and he needs to show Meyer he can perform in European conditions, Meyer is so stuck on Ruan if he is fit Hougaard isn't going to get much game time in the later tests.

Yeah, well we'd like Ruan to stay in Ulster and rehab properly. But I'll support him in playing for his country as long as he wants to. He might get to a point where he's ready to call it a day but it's very important to him obviously. You can see how much it means to him to get to the next World Cup!

Of course he wouldn't play well this week if selected because the rehab is rushed. He's also a victim of the lack of a global season. When he was injured he sort of said in an interview "Maybe it's a good thing, give the body a rest" That to me is telling.

He'll never produce his best form for either Ulster or SA so long as he has no proper off-season or pre-season.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:29 pm

Ireland will be competitive. I don't think we'll see a repeat of last years first game under Schmidt which was an eay win for Australia. Argentina ran SA close and Ireland have a better team apart from the scrum.

Expect Ireland to kick a lot and put pressure on that way and I would say they'll wait for opportunities to come rather than take many risks.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:31 pm

Notch wrote:The latest is injury doubts over Rory Best (hooker) and Johnny Sexton at 10 Biltong.

Two of Irelands most important and experienced players are serious doubts for this game. And when your tight head is likely to be inexperienced and callow, or experienced but unfit because he hasn't played in weeks, the last thing you want is to lose your hooker as well.

Losing your 10 is difficult whatever happens.

I really doubt Ireland will be able to match the Boks, I'm seriously worried. Both teams may be close if its the first XV but the difference in depth is huge. The fact Wiehahn Herbst can come and immediately be the best scrummaging tight head in Ireland this season but not even get a look in for the Sharks just goes to show you what we're dealing with here.

I hope we just take it to them in every facet of the game. Don't put out the walking wounded because they are experienced. Choose a team that is fit and hungry. Tell them if they perform the experienced guys might not be back.

And give the Bokke a bloody hard afternoon whatever happens. Make them leave the field thinking they were in a tough game and hopefully a game they lost!

Im not too worried provided Sexton plays. None of our back up 10s have really hit the mark yet. Schmidt will have a few tricks up his sleeve whatever team we put out there. SA are playing their best rugby in years IMO but I still cant see them having it all their way on Saturday.

I can see Ireland giving them a good game and I will be certainly hoping for an Ireland win.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:43 pm

profitius wrote:Ireland will be competitive. I don't think we'll see a repeat of last years first game under Schmidt which was an eay win for Australia. Argentina ran SA close and Ireland have a better team apart from the scrum.

Expect Ireland to kick a lot and put pressure on that way and I would say they'll wait for opportunities to come rather than take many risks.

That kind of comparison has absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

Different teams, different countries, different conditions, different time.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:44 pm

Score prediction Billtong?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:47 pm

I don't predict mate, I gave that up as a bad job a while ago Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:50 pm

Biltong wrote:
profitius wrote:Ireland will be competitive. I don't think we'll see a repeat of last years first game under Schmidt which was an eay win for Australia. Argentina ran SA close and Ireland have a better team apart from the scrum.

I agree

This is the side which narrowly lost to Ireland in the summer

15. Joaquin Tuculet
14. Lucas Amorosino
13. Jeronimo De la Fuente
12. Gabriel Ascarate
11. Manuel Montero
10. Nicolas Sanchez
9. Martin Landajo
1. Lucas Noguera Paz
2. Matias Cortese
3. Ramiro Herrera
4. Manuel Carizza
5. Tomas Lavanini
6. Rodrigo Baez
7. Tomas De La Vega
8. Antonio Ahualli de Chazal

This is the side which beat AUS in the RC

15. Joaquin Tuculet
14. Juan Jose Imhoff
13. Horacio Agulla
12. Juan Martin Hernandez
11. Lucas Amorosino
10. Nicolas Sanchez

9. Martin Landajo
1. Marcos Ayerza
2. Agustin Creevy
3. Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
4. Mariano Galarza
5. Tomas Lavanini
6. Rodrigo Baez

7. Benjamin Macome
8. Leonardo Senatore

The ones highlighted in bold are the ones who started the match vs. Ireland. 9 changes to any side is pretty major.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:51 pm

17-15 to Ireland. It has been unseasonably warm here lately. Hopefully the temperature takes a drop before Sat.

It was even warmer in London. 21 degrees on halloween. Teeshirt weather.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:53 pm

GunsGerms wrote:17-15 to Ireland. It has been unseasonably warm here lately. Hopefully the temperature takes a drop before Sat.

"That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Wink

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:58 pm

fa0019 wrote:

I agree

This is the side which narrowly lost to Ireland in the summer

It wasnt really a narrow loss. Argentina scored a last minute try to make it respectable but didnt really look like winning. We had a b team out in the previous game and beat them fairly easily.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:01 pm

fa0019 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:17-15 to Ireland. It has been unseasonably warm here lately. Hopefully the temperature takes a drop before Sat.

"That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Wink

You have lost me.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:08 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

Wink

You have lost me.

Not a fan of blackadder then? Was it even shown in Ireland?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:14 pm

Biltong wrote:

The strength of teams matter so the comparison is relevant. I'm not predicting a score but highlighting what to expect. After all you Boks are inquiring about the Ireland side Wink
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:19 pm

Yes it was shown in Ireland. We have free to air BBC because of our proximity to the UK. I liked it back then but I wouldnt sit through an episode now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:21 pm

According to Ireland team manager Mick Kearney Sexton isnt a doubt:

"IRELAND TEAM MANAGER Mick Kearney says that Johnny Sexton’s injury worry is ‘nothing of concern’ for the squad’s medical staff."

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/sexton-hamstring-ireland-1759798-Nov2014/

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

profitius wrote:
Biltong wrote:

The strength of teams matter so the comparison is relevant. I'm not predicting a score but highlighting what to expect. After all you Boks are inquiring about the Ireland side Wink

OK, leys look at it from the perspective of the matches. In SA it rained so hard it was the worst conditions imaginable, in Salta the Boks were utterly useless until they eventually ran in two tries in the final quarter

Last year we put 70 on them.

So which bok team, which Ireland team will rock up this weekend?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:45 pm

Biltong wrote:
profitius wrote:
Biltong wrote:

OK, leys look at it from the perspective of the matches. In SA it rained so hard it was the worst conditions imaginable, in Salta the Boks were utterly useless until they eventually ran in two tries in the final quarter

Last year we put 70 on them.

So which bok team, which Ireland team will rock up this weekend?

Past results are relevant. No matter what way you look at it, its the main way of trying to figure out who will win matches and what bookmakers for example base their prices on mainly.

I'm not picking out one bad performance or anything (I should have made it more clear in my original post). SA could have lost both matches to Australia too. Again, Australia are not a million miles ahead of Ireland. We nearly (should have with a bit more composure) beat the ABs last year and won the 6 nations. Again relevant when trying to figure out how this match will go.

I'm sure it'll be a good match. SA have some creative backs now which makes them more dangerous. I think we'll see some good tries if the weather is decent
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 03 Nov 2014, 6:12 pm

Cant see us beating the Boks in the form they are in. Really needed Healy and SOB to do it. Their loss is huge for so many reasons. Both best-in-position in the NH, for starters. Loss of their ball-carrying skills is another massive hit to our chances. Add to that, the loss of Cronin... Not good.

McGrath is excellent and will only get better with the experience gleaned in these games, but he's no Healy yet.  I hope he shows he is getting closer, in this series of games. That would be a major plus for the 6-N, RWC and into the future.

If Ross doesn't make it, coupled with the loss of the more than able Moore -  we are doomed. If Sexton also doesn't make it, we will be hammered.

But, it looks like they will. So... we will hopefully  run SA close and beat Oz and Georgia. Id be well happy with that, in the circumstances.

Pity Fitzy is not up to full match fitness yet. He is our only realistic hope at 13, as it stands. Payne is a very good FB, but not an exceptional 13, not even at provincial level. Henshaw? I just don't think he's international standard.  Need Fitzy fit, switched to 13 and look for his backup in the next year. Would like to see Fitz and Madigan be Irelands next midfield force. Juicy.  Olding and Fitz also a great option, imo.

I pray Henshaw proves me wrong. I would love it if he does.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 03 Nov 2014, 6:24 pm

To be honest, I really don't understand the comparison. Also, Argentina ran us close because theyve taken to running it from everywhere (at a rather high skill level may I add). So maybe if Ireland are planning to run us ragged, and are better than Argentina at it, yes. Valid comparisob
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Mon 03 Nov 2014, 6:41 pm

We could see a team of:

McGrath
Cronin
Archer
Toner
POC
POM
Henry
Heaslip
Murray
Madigan
Zebo
Keatley
Henshaw
Gilroy
Payne

If all the injury doubts are confirmed (although most seem fine now). That is scary. I fear for the scrum no matter who plays...

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Nov 2014, 7:43 pm

fa0019 wrote:Not a fan of blackadder then? Was it even shown in Ireland?

Probably, RTE recycles all the old BBC comedies. Even Father Ted had to be made by a British channel before it could be shown over here. RTE passed on it. Now it's a national institution.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Nov 2014, 7:44 pm

kingraf wrote:To be honest, I really don't understand the comparison. Also, Argentina ran us close because theyve taken to running it from everywhere (at a rather high skill level may I add). So maybe if Ireland are planning to run us ragged,   and are better than Argentina at it, yes. Valid comparisob

That is very much the Schmidt way when it needs to be. Look at how we played against Italy last year. We barely put boot to ball all game. Will it work against the Boks? That Scottish coach has you working a lot harder at the break down and a lot more effectively than before. Kill the breakdown, kill the tempo.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 03 Nov 2014, 7:49 pm

Quality preview, Bilt.

This is the sort of game I would expect your boys to win, but similarly that will depend on how experimental the 23 is likely to be.

Is Pieter Steph du Toit still injured? He did his knee in the spring as I recall. That boy is an animal and the rugby world needs to see more from him. Is van Zyl not in with a shout at 9?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Nov 2014, 8:07 pm

Cheers mate, Pieter is still recovering and will only be back next year, van Zyl has zero chance of a call up until du Preez and Pienaar retire.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:09 pm

Notch wrote:

Probably, RTE recycles all the old BBC comedies. Even Father Ted had to be made by a British channel before it could be shown over here. RTE passed on it. Now it's a national institution.

Not true. RTE were never offered Father Ted. The writers wanted a bigger audience so went straight to Channel 4.

It's difficult to see Ireland winning, especially with all the injuries. South Africa are playing great and their team is more battled hardened. South Africa have played 8 games, winning 7, since Ireland played their final 6 nations game. Ireland's tour of Argentina, during the summer, lacked intensity and both sides played weakened teams so I don't see that having any great relevance.

Even if Ross is fit, he's going to struggle with the pace and intensity of international rugby after being out for over a month. And if he isn't fit to play....well it doesn't bear thinking about. Also, Best will be a huge loss upfront. I just don't think we'll have the power to match their forwards. But if we somehow manage to gain parity upfront, I'm excited about our backs, Bowe and Zebo can cause South Africa trouble if they get their hands on the ball but they also need to be strong defensively. I reckon Darce and Henshaw will start and it will be interesting to see how Henshaw will cope at this level. He will have plenty of experience around him when you add Sexton and Murray to the equation. The half back combination will have to have their kicking game spot on, we really don't want to be kicking loose, especially with Habana, Hendrick and Le Roux ready to attack.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by FecklessRogue Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:35 pm

Best case scenario, we'll give them a good game. We have too many important players injured or not fully fit and they're playing too good.
FecklessRogue
FecklessRogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:44 pm

We haven't been playing well consistently though, and that is a major concern.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:54 pm

Gretgael1 wrote:
Notch wrote:

Not true. RTE were never offered Father Ted. The writers wanted a bigger audience so went straight to Channel 4.

You know what? I looked it up and you're right. It's not true. I just assumed it was because I saw someone talk about it once on... Channel 4 Smile

Still pretty sure George Best angel was passed over by Glentoran (East Belfast Football Team) though! Wink

Last edited by Notch on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:57 pm

FecklessRogue wrote:Best case scenario, we'll give them a good game. We have too many important players injured or not fully fit and they're playing too good.

Best case scenario is Schmidt has been playing kidology with the injury list, BOD retiring was a hoax and we're ready to party like its the week before the 2007 World Cup starts.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 10:16 pm

So the possible Irish team is only missing BOD and Healy from the team that won the 6ns and we are playing at home....shouldn't progression under Saint Joe be that we actually win the games rather than be "competitive".

Also sounds like we are going to kick the shoite out of the ball....not exactly great running rugby?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 10:17 pm

Biltong wrote:We haven't been playing well consistently though, and that is a major concern.

But ye have been playing, and I think that's a huge advantage, just for some continuity. I wish we had South Africa last, it's our toughest match and it would give us time to work on some combinations. Then again, if it was our last game, we could be in a worst position with injuries after Georgia and Australia.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 04 Nov 2014, 12:57 am

to be honest, if any of england, ireland or wales gets a win this weekend it will be a huge result.

i think the Boks have a game custom built to make life difficult for Ireland. Giant forwards with power. Dangerous backs who can counter-attack (sexton's precision kicking from hand will be very sorely missed if he isnt fit). very strong set piece and rolling maul.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 04 Nov 2014, 2:25 am

Gretgael1 wrote:
Biltong wrote:We haven't been playing well consistently though, and that is a major concern.

But ye have been playing, and I think that's a huge advantage, just for some continuity. I wish we had South Africa last, it's our toughest match and it would give us time to work on some combinations. Then again, if it was our last game, we could be in a worst position with injuries after Georgia and Australia.

Exactly why we want England first. Mind you, we're not playing that well either... Crying or Very sad

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Nov 2014, 11:52 am

quinsforever wrote:to be honest, if any of england, ireland or wales gets a win this weekend it will be a huge result.

i think the Boks have a game custom built to make life difficult for Ireland. Giant forwards with power. Dangerous backs who can counter-attack (sexton's precision kicking from hand will be very sorely missed if he isnt fit). very strong set piece and rolling maul.

Jesus! They tick all the boxes there, quins! They're a genuine rugby team afterall. I heard rumours they were going to try to not be 2nd best side in the world just to humour us a little. I'm still hoping they bluff us by playing badly.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Nov 2014, 11:56 am

ME-109 wrote:So the possible Irish team is only missing BOD and Healy from the team that won the 6ns and we are playing at home....shouldn't progression under Saint Joe be that we actually win the games rather than be "competitive".

Also sounds like we are going to kick the shoite out of the ball....not exactly great running rugby?

And it's why my contacts around the training runs are telling me that Kidney has been spirited into camp to do the rub-down on the merits of ball'n'boot.  The players are fascinated by him - especially the younger guys who were never coached by him.  It's him! It's really him - the ball'n'boot'n'boxkick guy!  It's the classic tactic when you don't have players available who think for themselves.  Schmidt has run out of thinkers.

Last edited by SecretFly on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TobyBryant Tue 04 Nov 2014, 12:34 pm

South Africa in Ireland again...when does the reciprocal occur?

TobyBryant

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 12:41 pm

SecretFly wrote:
ME-109 wrote:So the possible Irish team is only missing BOD and Healy from the team that won the 6ns and we are playing at home....shouldn't progression under Saint Joe be that we actually win the games rather than be "competitive".

And it's why my contacts around the training runs are telling me that Kidney has been spirited into camp to do the rub-down on the merits of ball'n'boot.  The players are fascinated by him - especially the younger guys who were never coached by him.  It's him! It's really him - the ball'n'boot'n'boxkick guy!  It's the classic tactic when you don't have players available who think for themselves.  Schmidt has run out of thinkers.

Hey Fly...I'm with Guns here ( laughing ) we should be expecting a win....at the very least. No ah sure lets be competitive and I dont expect Schmidt believes anything other than a win is possible no matter what noises are coming from the camp. Also I couldnt give too figs how we do it (a 3-0 win would do for me).

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next