The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

+37
banbrotam
CAS
lydian
Josiah Maiestas
Henman Bill
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
greengoblin
dummy_half
slashermcguirk
Chazfazzer
DirectView2
lags72
Johnyjeep
MrInvisible
bogbrush
coolpixel
Haddie-nuff
Silver
Calder106
Danny_1982
Mad for Chelsea
It Must Be Love
hawkeye
summerblues
CaledonianCraig
Born Slippy
FedsFan
kingraf
The Special Juan
socal1976
laverfan
erictheblueuk
temporary21
Jahu
LuvSports!
sirfredperry
41 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 11 Empty World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:48 am

First topic message reminder :

So the ATPs premier showpiece event hits the O2 on Sunday. The sixth showing at the O2 and yielded only 3 different winners. Very interesting this year. 3 virgin qualifiers in Cillic, Raonic and Nishikori. Can we see a new winner? Can Nishikori and Raonic win the biggest title of their careers to date? Federer will have an eye on the DC like his compatriot Wawrinka, though he is woefully out of form of late. Has Murray much left in the tank to win his first title here at the O2? Can Berdych do a Davydenko and strike out of nowhere? Will it be a routine Djokovic victory?

For me the 2 that qualify from each group will be:

Group A

1) Djokovic
2) Raonic

Group B

1) Murray
2) Federer

Djokovic/Murray final

Winner: Djokovic

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by HM Murdock Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Not a bad match point winner!

I know it's not a sexy part of the tennis skill set but Novak's return of serve is astonishing. Even by his standards, it was good tonight.

One more win for YE#1.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Just ouch!

No-one can touch Djokovic at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Bubbly Shades of Federer at his best in that. Though still no sign of a competitive match

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:25 pm

So Fed-Djoko the only match worth it for a week?

Andy will be crushed tomorrow.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:26 pm

Another disappointingly one-sided match - Wawrinka just seemed to lose self-belief after being broken back in the 1st set.  Credit to Djokovic though - a very assured clinical performance - really can't see anyone beating him this tournament but hopefully Federer at least can push him and make a spectacle of semi-final/final whenever they play.

Regarding the year end number 1 spot, I'd really prefer Djokovic to get it over Federer - as much as I like Federer I don't like the idea of player finishing the year at number 1 without winning a slam.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:27 pm

If Djokovic and Federer can maintain their current levels, it could be a classic if/when they meet.

Wow, just saw that after 2 matches Novak has won 24 games and lost only 5!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:38 pm

If Berdy beats Djoko, then #1 is still at risk?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Jahu wrote:If Berdy beats Djoko, then #1 is still at risk?
Yep.

But I think Novak is now guaranteed a SF spot, so he effectively has two attempts to get one more win.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:44 pm

Well Djoko got that in the bag then, congrats HMM Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:52 pm

It's Djokovic. Accept nothing as given until it has actually happened!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Yikes, talk about an implosion. Novak was brilliant though, some genius play in there. No chance of Berdych making it competitive, so congrats on YE#1 Mr. Djokovic and fans clap it's only fitting, Federer doesn't really deserve it being slamless and all.

legendkillarV2 wrote:On 23 set winning streak starting back against Gasquet at Paris 2013.

The rest of the stats are awesome, but this is patently wrong. He actually dropped a set in every single RR match at the WTF last year - poor show by Sky Laugh

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:59 pm

Silver wrote:Yikes, talk about an implosion. Novak was brilliant though, some genius play in there. No chance of Berdych making it competitive, so congrats on YE#1 Mr. Djokovic and fans clap it's only fitting, Federer doesn't really deserve it being slamless and all.

legendkillarV2 wrote:On 23 set winning streak starting back against Gasquet at Paris 2013.

The rest of the stats are awesome, but this is patently wrong. He actually dropped a set in every single RR match at the WTF last year - poor show by Sky Laugh
Gasquet was the last RR in 2013. SF and F were straight sets.

He then won 6 in a row in DC final.

Paris this year was another 10.

4 in a row in London so far.

So I make that 24 sets in a row!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:01 pm

Ohhhh...good point. I guess I was confused by the 'Gasquet at Paris' part, which is wrong in itself but I should've known.

Cheers HM Smile a very impressive run regardless!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:49 am

I agree, this match looked so good on paper especially after Stan's performance vs Berdych. I never expected Stan to actually win but I thought it would not be 6-0 after the first two games. His serve was terrible and Djokovic was just too good. In this form I doubt even Nadal could get a win over Djokovic. I was hoping Djoko would come off second best to keep the race to #1 still on for Roger but I guess it is not meant to be. I think Federer's slip up in Paris cost him that and perhaps losing out at Wimbledon.

Murray is playing himself into this tournament although I don't expect Federer to be as wayward as Raonic with his shots. These days when Federer is good he is very very good but when he is bad he is horrid! I think Murray is ready to take it to him. Also, Fed's serve is shaky. I think the old back is troubling him. Lack of first serves, aces results in lack of cheap points and long baseline slogfests vs Murray. He would have to play one cracking match but for me, I don't think he is playing well enough.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:41 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Stan should go beat one off and get the hormones raging!

This has to be the matchday line of the day. I can see it now, Greg what is the problem with Stan right now? "I think he has an excess of baby batter building up in his system and he needs to go rub one out". Hilarious, masturbation for sporting excellence.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:50 am

Novak looking like his form is building. He is a confidence player and his opponents should be a bit worried if he goes on to win this tournament and plays well. The momentum could carry into next season circa 2010. He keeps playing like this he could go multislams next year. When Stan fails to make an impression on serve he just can't do very much of anything against a guy like Djokovic.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 am

The thing is with Novak, we've seen this all before over the last 3 years.

Streaks of white hot form where he is unplayable but they always dissipate before the next slam comes around.

I'd be very surprised if he's playing at this level in Australia.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:40 am

HMM, don't start your doom and gloom, it has never come true.

True story this one!
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:53 am

Not doom and gloom, old chap, it's voice of experience.

He may well win in Australia. But it won't be on this kind of form.

It will be the usual up and down, inconsistent, brain farting, back to the wall, glaring at the box, looking despairingly to the heavens, stagger across the finish line that all his post-2011 slam wins have been.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:56 am

You were concerned for same stuff last year for this year, he ain't done bad, #1 again.

We had 2 new GS winners this year, maybe next year 3, and next next 4 new ones.

Top 4 can retire on their money Smile

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:01 am

Jahu wrote:You were concerned for same stuff last year for this year, he ain't done bad, #1 again.
I thought he wouldn't win another slam. And let's be honest - Australia was poor, RG faded away, US ended in a whimper and he came blooming close to letting Wimbledon slip away too!

I'm glad my prediction was wrong... but I wasn't far off being correct!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:35 am

I think we can safely say that Federer and Djokovic are through barring a Davydenko-esq crash!

Anything but a Federer/Djokovic final would probably criminalise the event! Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:42 am

Each morning of these WTFs (fitting initials this year, I fear) we've hoped for a decent three-setter. So today, please.
Highly ironic that in the least competitive WTF we've had, all eight players are STILL in with a chance of making the semis.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:22 pm

The weird thing is that I have been waiting for this monopolistic Top 4 to be displaced by new blood, and here we go, we have lets say 4 new young faces in WTF, and none of them is playing any good.

Disaster.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:27 pm

Wouldn't calm them New Blood. More of 'About Frigging Time' Blood!

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:27 pm

Problem is we've got the "wrong" new blood at this WTF. I and possibly some others would much preferred to have seen Dimitrov rather than Raonic or Cilic and no doubt Tsonga (not a youngster, I concede) would have been a popular participant as well.
Probably a rash prediction, I know, but I really can't see Cilic winning another slam.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:36 pm

Yeah, bit of a disappointment.

Being an exhibition tournament, it's lacking on everything, heck I even miss Ferrer here, at least he gives it a hard push on every match.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:39 pm

Raonic has just pulled out of his match with Nishi due to injury. Not sure what this means now.

Latest: Raonic will play David Ferrer (the alternate) instead. 200 points at stake for David and a possible place in the semis awaits Nishi.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Is it really a big surprise that the quality at the WTF has been pretty poor with the exception of Federer and Djokovic?

Murray has been inconsistent all season as have been his performances here.
Wawrinka has been on a run of bad form for a few months now - his qualifying form took place months ago.
Cilic has not had a lot of tennis lately since the US Open and what there has been has been poor.
Raonic has also been in patchy form lately (aside from beating Roger in Paris) he has done little of note in recent months.
Nishikori is another who has not been tearing up trees consistently of late and perhaps nerves have got the better of him plus seems troubled with a wrist injury.
Berdych is another who has not been in blistering form of late.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:42 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Raonic has just pulled out of his match with Nishi due to injury. Not sure what this means now.

Surely means Nishikori is awarded a straight sets win. If so it means Murray must beat Federer tonight in straight sets (?) or he is out does it not?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:53 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Raonic has just pulled out of his match with Nishi due to injury. Not sure what this means now.

Latest: Raonic will play David Ferrer (the alternate) instead. 200 points at stake for David and a possible place in the semis awaits Nishi.

I'm confused now. Is it Raonic or Nishikori who has pulled out ?

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Raonic has pulled out with a quad injury. Ferrer comes in to play Nishikori this afternoon. If Murray loses tonight he is definitely out. If Nishi wins this afternoon he goes through (if Andy loses) and Ferrer could go through if he wins this afternoon and Murray loses this evening. Surely, it now means that Roger is definitely through.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:08 pm

What was the point of pulling out?

Disappointed indeed. Just adds to the mockery this WTF has been.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:21 pm

CC - don't think Ferrer can qualify although he'll still get the 200 points. If guys are level on wins it's down to the number of matches played, win or lose.
Thought this was a strange rule until the events today. Bit unfair on Andy if he goes out when David has only played the once.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:28 pm

sirfredperry wrote:CC - don't think Ferrer can qualify although he'll still get the 200 points. If guys are level on wins it's down to the number of matches played, win or lose.
  Thought this was a strange rule until the events today. Bit unfair on Andy if he goes out when David has only played the once.

Ah right cheers for clearing that up. This really isn't the best tournament for Andy. I remember one year he was eliminated after winning two matches, another he went into it carrying injury and flopped miserably, last year he missed through being out after back surgery and then this year this.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Shame about raonic? Can any if the noggins work out how that affects things? Or us it the same equation?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:38 pm

CC - The one year Andy beat Fed at the WTF he exhausted himself knocking Rog out when he'd already qualified himself and then was too tired to win his semi the next day. One of the few (only?) times Fed has not reached the semis.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:39 pm

Oh they already have... May I ask why this changes anything? Surely it's the same setup as before but with ferrer?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:40 pm

temporary21 wrote:Shame about raonic? Can any if the noggins work out how that affects things? Or us it the same equation?

Surely Roger is definitely through now even if he loses. If Murray loses he is definitely out and Nishokori will go through (win or lose this afternoon). That is how I understand it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Also Murray has to win in straight sets you'd think as he could win in three sets and still go out if Nishikori wins his match.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:10 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Also Murray has to win in straight sets you'd think as he could win in three sets and still go out if Nishikori wins his match.

Yeah, that's right. A Ferrer win would be a tad useful for Andy here. This is the guy Andy effectively prevented from reaching the 02 perhaps, now, doing him a favour.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:20 pm

If nothing else Ferrer will spice it up a bit methinks

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:21 pm

So it seems there is little chance of a Djoko-Fed SF?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:If nothing else Ferrer will spice it up a bit methinks

Well with 200 ranking points up for grabs it does have some meaning for Ferrer. Those 200 points would put him knocking on the door of breaking back into that crucial top eight which he would hope to do before the Australian Open.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:46 pm

Yes agreed CC.. but also as he is such a fierce competitor and plays every match as though it was his last he has such passion for the sport.. he looks to me like a kid been left alone in a toy store today !!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:48 pm

A post at 14:06 here explains the possibilities
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/tennis/29441880

If Ferrer wins today, he'll go home $395,000 richer!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Ferrer's tenacity, dedication or fighting spirit coupled with supreme fitness are his strengths and has a solid all-round game but I have always felt he has lacked that killer shot or shot to die for.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:02 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Ferrer's tenacity, dedication or fighting spirit coupled with supreme fitness are his strengths and has a solid all-round game but I have always felt he has lacked that killer shot or shot to die for.

Yes CC in the final analysis there is that one element missing.. I have such respect for the man and his work ethic, fighting to the bitter end no matter what, I am blinded to the fact you state.. shame I feel he could and should have won a major somewhere in his career.. something I would love to have seen before he retired but I fear that now will never be.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:07 pm

That's Federer qualified.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:09 pm

Ferrer's doing his bit for both Fed and Murray. He's 5-4 up (on serve) and by my reckoning that means that even if Nishi won all the remaining games Fed would only need to win FOUR games against Murray to go through.

Latest - Ferrer takes first set 6-4 which means Fed's qualified. Just a a question now of the other positions.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next